Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
There was one episode where it was even worse. In one episode during the credits, they had all the actors come in and take a bow, kind of like a theatre show. Wilson's actor was holding a little piece of fence in front of his mouth the entire time.

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

At what point does a recurring background gag become overplayed?

I think that depends a lot on how funny you think the gag is in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Calaveron posted:

And then they released a prequel show based on Sheldon and it's this bizarre period piece without a laugh track or even attempts at jokes except Sheldon has severe autism and is a child going to high school

Some people get really, really mad if you try to say Sheldon is autistic.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

SEX BURRITO posted:

Do they still have those Maury episodes where you have to guess if someone is a man or a woman? That wasn’t so long ago.

They still do that in Japan. I've seen a show where they get foreign guys on and show them three women and they have to choose which one is most attractive. The catch is that one of them is a (deliberately ugly) woman, one is transgender and one is a man in drag.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

mostlygray posted:

ThunderCats

Same for me, but with Transformers

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

Transformers The Movie holds up very well at least. I suspect it's because they kill nearly all the original transformers in the first 10 minutes to sell all new toys.

And more importantly, they left them dead. Amongst many other reasons, Revenge of the Fallen sucked because they couldn't resist resurrecting Optimus Prime.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

See also airport shenanigans in the climax of romantic comedies.

Like that episode of Full House where Stephanie and Michelle are going on a plane to Oakland, California and end up on one to Auckland, New Zealand instead. How is that possible? You definitely need a passport and to go through customs to go from the US to NZ.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

JediTalentAgent posted:

This is a strange comment to make since it seems like an odd one to remember, but I seem to have a vague memory of someone saying that Lucy Liu isn't seen as as attractive to the same degree to a lot of Eastern/Asian/Chinese audiences in comparison to her perception by Western audiences.

I don't fully remember the context or the explanation, though.

I don't remember the context either, but it's simply to do with different cultural standards of beauty. I've heard similar things said about Sandra Oh and Grace Park and how they're not considered attractive in Korea.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Who What Now posted:

Yeah, the UK isn't really as unique as it wants to pretend.

As someone who's neither British nor American, that can apply equally to the US. Hell, it applies to lots of countries.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

He grew up poor.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

My thoughts exactly. I don't think basic human behaviour has changed much for a very long time, it's just that things are a lot more open these days with the kind of technology we have to record and share things.

I always roll my eyes when some old person complains about young people. I roll my eyes doubly so when they complain about young people complaining.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Yep, that's still the case, at least for licensed sets. Minifigs are by far the most valuable part.

There's also collectible minifigs these days, which are a lucky dip kind of thing where you don't know what's in the bag until you buy it. People go loving nuts over those and I don't get it.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

You guys realise Lord Business was the bad guy, right.

Lol, I said that exact thing to someone in the Lego thread who was sperging out about "Lego has instructions so you know what to build"

Getting back on topic, I watched Eddy Murphy's Dynamite special on Netflix recently. Two things stood out as pretty aged. The first one was his opening joke about how he constantly walks around on stage so "faggots can't stare at my rear end". The second one was when he took an audience member's camera to take photos and joked about how the guy developing them would wonder why there's a picture of Eddy Murphy's crotch on there.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Sometimes there's bizarre licensing issues. It's entirely possible for something like a song they used in one episode having a contract like "you can use this on TV." At the time it made sense as shows just weren't released on VHS. Nobody really thought about DVD or the internet happening like it exists now. So they need to get the rights to the song to release the episode on DVD or in streaming. Everybody figured it'd just be syndication and reruns on the rerun channels forever because nobody will ever cancel their cable, right?

That's basically the reason why it took Freaks and Geeks a decade if not more to get a DVD release - the music rights were pretty insane. IIRC the only reason it even happened was because the creators were willing to put in the work to get the legal side sorted. Not a lot of shows have that going for them.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Ziv Zulander posted:

A lot of long running shows do stuff like that, not just medical dramas. I remember there was an episode of Star Trek where Miles spent a few (simulated) decades living in a torturous prison where he ended up murdering his cell mate for a scrap of food, and then spent the last years of his sentence in complete isolation. He went all crazy for the one episode, then by the next one it was business as usual.

There was an episode of the original Star Trek that was even worse - Uhura got her mind wiped and they had to teach her everything again, even how to read. Perfectly fine by the next episode though. To be fair, that was the 60s and continuity was an afterthought at best.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

What about Tim Allen? Not that I've paid much attention to him for years, but he never seemed too crazy conservative to me.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think he just never talked that much about what he believed in, then he made Last Man Standing which is a sitcom where the premise seems to be "Tim Allen triggers the liberals" and now I think he's all-in for Trump these days.

Fair enough. That sucks, I loved Home Improvement and Galaxy Quest.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's possible he wasn't a wing nut in those days and, this might sound crazy, but you can still enjoy his old work while disagreeing with him politically. Maybe he was crazy then and just hid it, maybe contemporary conservatism went mad and he followed it. Who knows?

Of course, I'm not going to stop liking his old stuff, but now that I know he's crazy that will always be in the back of my mind. Oh well, plenty of awesome stuff gets made by crazy people.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

And the 90s. It definitely showed up in Star Trek Voyager, possibly other Treks too.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Yeah, I can really get behind making Cardassians straight-up lizards. There was a bunch of stuff in DS9 that basically suggested that anyway.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Pookah posted:

I had sort of the same experience with Mars Attacks - the trailers looked AMAZING and I was really excited about seeing it, but I was away the entire summer it was in cinemas in Ireland and I didn't get around to seeing it for several years afterwards. When I finally got to see it, I was extremely disappointed - I found it a weirdly cold, soulless, boring film, like someone moving a bunch of really cool stick figures around instead of believably real characters interacting. It's something I've noticed in every Tim Burton film except Beetlejuice - all shiny show and no heart.

I kind of agree to be honest. I haven't seen that many Tim Burton films but I've never been blown away by them. They're good, sure, but I know a lot of people who go nuts over anything Tim Burton and I just don't see it.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

This was probably more the case when his creative vision was seen as pushing back against the monotony and horror of suburbia and normalcy.

Yes, that's very likely part of it, simply being too young to have seen a lot of his stuff when it was more novel and relevant. Kind of like a lot of counter-culture things from the 80s/90s for me to be honest, like grunge for example.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Or the one where Stiles played someone who wasn't sure what gender other people were and just groped the entire cast.

That was Colin actually, but still hilarious.

There's tons of Whose Line on Youtube of course, but just clips, not entire episodes. Personally that's fine with me, I've always preferred the shorter games like Scenes From a Hat than watching the whole thing. I just kind of wish there were more of the revival series with Aisha Tyler

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

the_steve posted:

Definitely can't deny Al's loyalty.
There are plenty of episodes where he's given a chance to bail out on Peg and the kids and ends up staying with them. That episode where they all go to Hell comes to mind.

Speaking of bad things that were aged horribly from birth: I remember this old sitcom that starred David Spade. I think Kirstie Allie was in it too. Pretty sure they were working at a fashion magazine, could be wrong about that part.
What I definitely remember though was that for awhile, Spade's character was dating a supermodel by having gaslighted her into thinking she was too ugly to even leave the apartment and that he was the only one who loved her for her.

The Kirstie Alley one was Veronica's Closet, but I think it had a very similar premise to Just Shoot Me.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

It's also often for budget reasons. Which is why you might see a weird forced recap episode crop up right before the big explosive FX-heavy finale.

Sometimes for industrial reasons too. The example that springs to mind is Star Trek TNG's second season finale, which was a clip show due to the WGA strike at the time.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Totally agree. I never got the hype around Arrested Development. I've seen it a couple of times and enjoyed it, but never thought it was hilarious like people claimed. I can definitely appreciate how tightly-written it was with all the references and foreshadowing, but that doesn't mean I thought it was that funny.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

In the case of Trailer Park Boys, while I'm not sure of the timing, the three lead actors bought the rights off the original creator for the Netflix seasons and became writers/showrunners for TPB. There was a definite drop in quality in general for those, not just in terms of transphobia. I don't think that's a coincidence, I think the three leads just aren't good comedy writers.

The three leads have another Netflix series and it looks like it's pretty much Trailer Park Boys with the serial numbers filed off, although to be fair I haven't actually watched it. It's pretty damning if you have to plagiarise your own material to come up with anything new.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

I think that one is Last Man Standing.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Alabama Smith is the player character in Paganitzu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

ilmucche posted:

The new ones sucked because every episode was about cramming a guest appearance in.

Yeah, they leaned on that way too hard in the beginning. IMO the later seasons are pretty good, very few guests and the main cast has developed a good dynamic with Aisha Tyler. I think they're up to six seasons of the new one, and fair enough since I'd imagine it's a really cheap show to make.