Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
One of my favorite Seinfeld episodes, "The Chinese Restaurant" comes to mind. The secondary plot revolves are George's frustration that every time he tries to use the restaurant's payphone to call his girlfriend Tatiana, someone else gets to it first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Detective No. 27 posted:

Steel Panther is all too self-aware about that.

"You're the only girl that I like to screw when I'm not on the road.
When I come home my dinner's made, and the front lawn is mowed.
I'd kiss your mouth even after you swallow my load..."

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

muscles like this! posted:

There was a short lived "That 80s Show" which, IIRC, wasn't a spin off or anything like that. Mostly notable for how quickly it failed and how it stared pre-Sunny Glenn Howerton.

It was terrible. At least the characters in That 70s Show were mostly well done. That 80s Show seemed to me just a bunch of stereotype 80s personalities and one prop gag after the other. I think I watched the first two episodes and gave up on it.

"Look! I have a cellular telephone!"

"Hey! A compact disc player!"

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Gorilla Salad posted:

Wasn't there also something like that with a talk show giving cars to everyone and then they all got hit with tax bills for accepting such large gifts as well as all the costs of registering and insuring their brand new, expensive cars?

I think it was Oprah, but I'm sure at least one other show did it, too.

I haven't seen her in a long time, but I know Denise Leveque who was on the last episode of The Price is Right that Bob Barker hosted. She won both showcases in the Showcase Showdown worth over $140,000.00. Two expensive cars, a Mediterranean cruise, big TV, grill, some cash. Tax bill came to 40%.

I know she sold the Vette on Ebay. The listing had a ton of pics of her wearing the outfit she wore on the show. Not sure what she did with the Caddy.

http://www.wifr.com/home/headlines/7910022.html

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Rirse posted:

All this talk about The Office is making me want to rewatch it. I did pick up the entire series from itunes back in December for I think 40.

Comedy Central has been playing them in sequence, too. The dinner party and deposition episodes were both on yesterday.

"That one night.. (one night).. you made ev'rything alright.."

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

business hammocks posted:

Wasn’t the whole point of the joke that wrestling is fake? Did 70s people not know that wrestling is fake?

Mr T. and Hulk Hogan appeared on the Richard Belzer show when they were promoting the first Wrestlemania. I believe Belzer made a comment about it being fake (it's not on this clip), so Hogan demonstrated a sleeper hold on him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7n_SHrK408

John Stossel from 20/20 learned the hard way that saying wrestling is fake around wrestlers is a bad idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrX9Ca7LSyQ

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

bitterandtwisted posted:

* I've never seen Sandford and Son, but assume they didn't live in luxury?

Fred Sanford was a junk dealer, so no - their house was quite cluttered and run down.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Might not be who you're thinking of, but when Bill Murray was shooting Groundhog Day, they did some location work in my neighborhood. He heard our historic 1930s theater was about to be shut down for lack of money/needing renovations, so he spontaneously did a stand-up comedy gig there as a fundraiser, and saved the theater. It is still open and thriving.

Talk about a stand-up guy. :downsrim: (Seriously, though, my current boss got to meet him and said he's cool as hell)

My mom lives in the subdivision across the road from where the quarry scene was filmed.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

MariusLecter posted:

Is the quarry still operational?

Not anymore. It closed in 2011.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

pentyne posted:

Its New Jersey and Oregon, where you are not legally allowed to pump your own gas.

As of 1/1/18 you can legally pump your own gas in Oregon but only at standalone stations in counties with populations under 40,000. Reading the comments sections on news articles about it and all the memes was a good source of LOLs last year.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

sweet geek swag posted:

Nah, I wasn't a union projectionist. It was my first job, and it was just a glorified usher position. They only have union projectionists where they have big multiplexes or Imax screens, or shot like that.

When I got put in charge of the booth I kept fighting my manager because she wanted to hire 16 year old kids to run the projectors, which was very illegal.

When I worked at a movie theater from 1989--1991, the union projectionists only came in to assemble the films on Thursday and one of them used to come in on the weekends to run things. We teenagers ran the projectors the rest of the time.

War of the Roses got held over so long, our print would break at least once per showing. We'd have to have one of us stationed in the booth ready to splice it back together.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Calico Heart posted:

For a project I’m working on - can anyone think of any old 1950’s/60’s tv episodes/scenes that feel particularly propaganda-y or otherwise bootlicky

Dragnet was a treasure trove.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy_lCjA6poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZo2hhvvlpw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wri3CHjfQRM

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yup! Jewel Osco. It was union, which is basically the only reason I was able to move out at all.

My first part-time job was in a union grocery store - Eagle Foods. For some reason, everyone's wages were posted on the breakroom wall. I found that to be odd.

I hated that loving place. Quit after six months for a job at the local library reshelving books. That was a sweet gig - got to work whenever I wanted as long as I put in the required number of hours weekly which was 14, if I remember correctly. Quiet, air conditioned, the librarians were really nice as opposed to the grocery cashiers who were mostly a bunch of miserable old bitches.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Len posted:

mine used their words

it's been 15 years since i was in 10th grade geometry and i still remember him just saying that if you got a c or lower to not bother going to college

One of my high school math teachers was a total dick. He was also the swim team coach and if you weren't one of his swimmers, he couldn't have cared less about you.

I took his trigonometry class and barely passed as math was never my strong suit. At the end of the year he came up to me in the hall and asked if I was planning to take calculus the following year. I said no and he got this stupid grin on his face, said, "Good!", and walked away. I just stood there like, :wtc:

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

duck trucker posted:

I haven't paid too much attention but I don't think Chevy Chase has been accused of any actual crimes. He's just a huge rear end in a top hat.

He's coming to my town next month to do a showing of Christmas Vacation with a Q&A afterward. Ticket prices are insane, especially for a movie we'll get a dozen opportunities to see for free around then anyway. I just got an email yesterday that all seats are now buy one/get one free since it isn't selling worth a drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
Edit - Beaten.