Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

BioEnchanted posted:

Since people have mentioned the inverse before in this thread I think this is fair game - some of the satire in Rocko's Modern Life has actually aged fairly well. While some episodes are nowadays irrelevant due to things like cartoons being less censored and certain places getting rarer and rarer, or even just the tech leaving the portrayal behind, there was a fairly prescient subtle joke right in the second episode - The O-Town Minimall is right in the middle of O-Town National Forest - land that should be federally protected due to it's national park status. It seems in the world of Rocko, Conglom-O's lobbyists beat the government and now they can build wherever.

Rocko is an interesting case study for this thread. On a superficial level it's very dated (there's definitely something ironic about a show about "Modern Life" that prominently features rotary phones and tube TVs) but it's insightful enough that it holds up remarkably well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Calaveron posted:

It's why I'm super excited for the reboot because all the jokes in it were pitch perfect Rocko but with current stuff

I hadn't even heard that this was in the works. That really makes my day!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Inescapable Duck posted:

There were some Disney Adventures comics of it (Not sure how many were adaptations of episodes, if any) that had some interesting themes; Doug enters a ceramic gravy boat he made himself in a science/crafts competition, starts taking people's suggestions and ended up with a handheld gravy cannon and backpack tank, til he decides to just go with his original plan and wins the contest. (and the gravy cannon gets an Honorable Mention, which makes everyone who gave suggestions happy) And there was a bit of a theme with the newly rich Roger and Bebe having what amount to New Money/Old Money conflicts.

You probably would have liked the original run of Doug, that craft contest story is basically a rehash of like a dozen Nicktoons episodes. Doug was pretty bland but it was thematically consistent.

EDIT: The only Doug episode that sticks out negatively in my mind was the one where Doug invites Skeeter to draw comics with him and gets pissy because he doesn't like the feel of Skeeter's superhero. It felt like Doug was being a huge dick and the show just treated it as being a 50/50 blame situation instead of Doug ever really realizing how rude he's being.

the holy poopacy has a new favorite as of 17:50 on Aug 6, 2017

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Oh yeah, I remember that: and the lady was banging Bud and then she admits to her sex change on television and leaves Bud there in stunned horror. Almost forgot about that one.

Oof, I forgot that part. I just remembered Al and his partner/rival just matter-of-factly going "welp, we're done", which at least is relatively tame.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

54 40 or gently caress posted:

I think Daria aged poorly for me because now as an adult I see a pretty rich teen and it just makes my eyes roll now. Loved it as a kid though

I rewatched Daria a while back and actually I enjoyed it more than I did the first time around, for completely different reasons. Yeah, Daria's an insufferable little spoiled poo poo, but that's the point. Most of the time it's about her gradually growing up and getting over herself.

Some episodes have aged better than others, to be sure. Some episodes (particularly the wacky ones) kind of forget the point and just turn into 22 minutes of Daria smugly riffing without any sort of irony or comeuppance.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

Wasn't Daria just a monotone, deadpan foil who was originally invented for commenting on how lame and immature Beavis and Butthead were? That's all I remember about her anyway, so i never found myself too interested and wondered from the start how she could carry a show by herself.

What was the deal? She just hated everything and everybody and was real sarcastic about it, right?

Sort of. That's what the character is known for and what she was shown as in commercials (and occasionally in gimmick episodes.) But the whole point of the show is that she's just a regular teen who uses her sarcastic persona as a coping mechanism. Most episodes explicitly paint her as a self-sabotaging jerk and hypocrite who gradually has to learn how to be a human being.

EDIT: which, like the post above notes, resonates with a lot of people because it's such a fundamental part of the teenage experience.

the holy poopacy has a new favorite as of 05:56 on Aug 14, 2017

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Aesop Poprock posted:

I'd say the goofy episodes where it's just her and jane riffing on things were needed cause it was still a comedy and not everything has to be teenage life lessons or "we get it" messages constantly

True, but as far as less serious episodes go I think the ones that focus on other characters hold up better.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Tom probably should have been way more interesting, he hardly had much of a gimmick to him besides being a male semi-Daria from money, though they did at least do some interesting things with him, mostly in the movies. It was funny with Daria suddenly caught up in very personal and very teenage drama of the kind she usually mocks, and important for her own character development. And was funny in the finale when it's Daria who dumps him, to everyone's surprise.

It's very much a coming of age story in that it's about a couple of teenage sisters starting out quite self-absorbed and petty and slowly learning to be part of actual communities and friends, even with people they don't entirely respect or understand.

For that matter, the keyword 'sisters' brings to mind that it was pretty much unique in being an animated show about a teenager who happened to be a girl, without being an aggressively stereotypically girly character or show. poo poo was BAD for that in the 90s, you'd be lucky if a cartoon could fulfil a quota of one regular female character with a personality to speak of that wasn't offensively stereotypical. For a lot of socially awkward young and teenage boys it probably helped to see a girl who had many of the same problems you did.

I think the main problem with the Tom storyline is that it dragged on way too long. I think it was good that they tried to have Daria tackle a teenage relationship but it really quickly becomes apparent why it wouldn't really work. Tom feels very artificial because the only way they can string a relationship along is to have him be a walking plot point instead of an actual human who would have bailed a couple episodes in.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ralph Hurley posted:

Not if you think of each episode as one day in their lives. 600 some episodes is not even two years.

Some episodes take place over many months, though. I suppose some episodes could be happening concurrently, but that doesn't explain why they've celebrated Christmas a dozen or so times over the course of a couple years.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Alhazred posted:

That's an insanely high bar to pass though. Even something that's half as good as Sandman should be regarded as a classic.

Yeah, Gaiman's really really hit or miss but that was one hell of a loving hit.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

Sandman's not that loving good. If it had lovely art it would be entirely unmemorable.

Sandman exists in this weird place where it's simultaneously badly overhyped and also incredibly good. Its fanbase is mostly populated by Hot Topic kids enthralled because ~OMG so cool and dark~ but there's also a really tightly written classical heroic tragedy buried in there too.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Inescapable Duck posted:

Speaking of tokens, reminded that Daria had what seemed to be a pretty nuanced and self-aware take on race, with the character of Jodie Landon being one of the only people Daria can get along with. Most of Jodie's focus episodes and moments emphasise that between parental and societal pressure she needs to be seen as an overachieving model minority (and that she and her boyfriend get elected Homecoming King and Queen every drat year to appear diverse) and she can't afford to be as cynical and apathetic as Daria often is. The finale even has Jodie insist on going to a majority black college so she can relax and study without having to be a role model as well. Was also the episode where they and Upchuck were competing for a scholarship sponsored by a tech company with a very poor track record for diversity (History really does repeat itself).

I also like that the writers never actually got around to fleshing her boyfriend Mack out much--which meant that the most token character wound up being the most utterly average, normal, and generally realistic kid on the show. It helps that he's the only recurring character who's actually from a regular middle class family; I suspect for a lot of people who didn't grow up in McMansion suburbs Mack was one of the show's more relatable characters even if they weren't black.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Inescapable Duck posted:

I think Smithers was supposed to be 'tanned' and the animators misunderstood.

That can happen on occasion; the Venture Bros has wanted to insert deliberate animation errors in homage to old cartoons, but the studio animates them correctly.

The Spanikopita episode had a great one that's more of a translation error than anything: at one point the Greek villagers are supposed to be eating spanikopita in the background, and apparently someone explained spanikopita to them as "spinach pie" because the thing they're eating is drawn as a big ol classic apple pie but with green filling.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Inescapable Duck posted:

Anything with Trump in it is gonna get weird/cringey fast. Like half his deal is that he's too ridiculous to parody.

Also kinda funny given he's been around long enough there's Trump parodies from long before he started dabbling in politics.

The new season of Bojack Horseman dropped last week and one of the main storylines was a celebrity election race and even though it didn't feature Trump or even a direct stand-in for Trump there were still enough jabs in that direction that it felt really dated as soon as it aired.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Daria, as far as loosely Mike Judge associated things go, has held up remarkably well somehow. The final episode ("Boxing Daria") is maybe some of the best TV ever made for teenagers ever.

Pretty sure Judge's involvement began and ended with him signing off the rights to the character.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Krispy Wafer posted:

By almost every account the French had more men, better tanks, and a stronger army than the Germans. Plus they had the British to help them out. The Germans had better tactics, were more aggressive, and no qualms about invading neutral countries to get to the French.

France assumed from the start that Germany would attack through Belgium--it was considered a feature, not a bug. The wall was supposed to funnel the Germans onto a narrower front where the French would know they were coming and wouldn't have to worry about being outflanked.

The critical weakness was that the French planners wildly overestimated the effectiveness of natural barriers around the border--they assumed that the rivers and forests around the corner of France/Belgium/Germany would make a mechanized advance far too slow to be tactically viable, so they committed their forces to holding the open spaces along the Belgian border and were completely outflanked when the Germans zoomed right through the undefended forest.

(The French weren't alone in this assumption, either--large segments of German military command thought the plan was unrealistic and suicidal. If they had gotten bogged down in the Ardennes the war would have been over before it started.)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

MikeCrotch posted:

Elon Musk wants to solve the world's problems, but only in such a way that he gets to be in charge at the end.

I believe the word you're looking for is "visionary" :smug: :smug: :smug:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

JediTalentAgent posted:

There was also AnimEigo, whose frontman was a guy who was fairly popular with fans at the time. (I had to look it up: Robert Woodhead must be the guy as he sounds familiar). They were actually a pretty popular company in the pre-Street Fighter Anime Movie market and had a lot of popular stuff. I think around the mid-90s, though, they lost some fan love due to a plan to start dubbing Urusei Yatsura when they'd been subbing it for years by that point.

Yeah, Robert Woodhead was an ur-Weaboo. Prior to AnimEgo he was one of the co-creators of the Wizardry series of early computer RPGs, which is why Wizardry is full of samurai and ninjas.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

RC and Moon Pie posted:

As I said, I haven't watched enough Lucy to know if she does have her moments of genius or if 95% of the time she portrayed as flighty as all the clip shows show her. The latter approach never appealed to me at all - even as an ardent lover of the Three Stooges, the clips I saw of Lucy were too silly and no matter how accomplished Ball was that didn't age well.

Lucy suffers the same fate as a lot of legendary comedy greats: her work was so groundbreaking and inspired so much in its footsteps that the original thing no longer seems impressive. Coming it after having already seen countless derivatives it feels stale and overdone in comparison because comedians have had decades to build upon and refine it. It's hard to recapture the context it existed in when it was completely fresh.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

It would be better than the movie. C-22 is pretty episodic, it would translate to TV fantastically.

There's basically no way to do justice to the novel's overlapping out of order flashback format in TV, and without it I think you'd be missing out on a decent amount of the novel's impact. You can get away with more in a streaming format and Netflix has been gently pushing the envelope with experimental episodes, but nothing like what Catch-22 would require.

Probably the closest you could do would be to have a few flashback/flashforward jumps in order to preserve the biggest reveals, but the effect wouldn't really be the same and you'd still be confusing 70% of the audience.

the holy poopacy has a new favorite as of 20:53 on Dec 1, 2017

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

BioEnchanted posted:

Make a hundred micro-episodes of about 10 minutes each in a playlist, then make the only way to watch said playlist be on Shuffle.

also the shuffle setting does not preclude repeats

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

food court bailiff posted:

I haven't read the book but this sounds a lot like what Netflix already did for Arrested Development Season 4.

The key difference is that Catch-22 is mostly a single POV. When it repeats a scene you're not getting a new perspective on events, except in that your own perspective has subtly changed as you've learned more about the timeline. Also, from what I recall each episode of Arrested Development on Netflix stuck to its own internal chronology and loosely spanned the same stretch of time, there wasn't switching back and forth.

I mean, yeah, ultimately I'm probably overstating the difficulties of translating the book to TV, and I'm sure someone clever enough could come up with a decent approximation. It's definitely not a trivial task, though.

the holy poopacy has a new favorite as of 01:03 on Dec 5, 2017

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Samuringa posted:

I thought I was a genius when figuring this out as a kid :saddowns:

It infuriated me because every time I tried explaining this to my brother he couldn't get it. I'm not sure if that makes me or him the :saddowns:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Inescapable Duck posted:

It's funny how Frasier and Niles are brothers only a few years apart but look about a decade apart, though David Hyde Pierce might just be one of those guys who always looks young.

Not anymore, at least. These days he looks older than he actually is.

Content: watched Gremlins 2 the other night. It's such a goofy over-the-top movie to begin with that it's tough to say it's aged poorly, but the camera-mad Japanese tourist sticks out like a sore thumb. Seeing outdated stereotypes in old movies is one thing but it's even more jarring when they're stereotypes that were current and fresh when you were growing up.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

CommonShore posted:

What I like about Shore Leave is that he's ridiculously camp gay but instead of being a self-involved castrated sissy, which is typical of the camp gay caricature, he's a hyper-competent murder machine.

I still feel this is basically a product of the times (the same stock character pops up elsewhere--see Ray Gillette on Archer, for example) and is going to feel more and more dated as time goes on. I feel it's likely coming from a place of love on Venture Bros. but it's still probably not going to look great in 5 or 10 years.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

WampaLord posted:

Master of None.

the Hollywood sexual harassment scandal arc aged amazingly well after a few months and then it suddenly aged amazingly badly

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

BrigadierSensible posted:

Some more TV that aged really badly: British racism in the 70s edition.

Two of my dad's favourite TV shows are 1) Love Thy Neighbour. A show about a black family moving next to a white family, and the two husbands both work at the same place. It is a show where the phrase "Bloody nig-nog" is not only acceptable, but used as a punchline byu the main character, whom we are supposed to like and identify with, in a "oh you rascal, what're you like" kind of way.

and 2) Mind Your Language. A show about a ESL class, where the bumbling well intentioned teacher had to deal with a rowdy class of horrendously racist foreign national stereotypes. Including a frenchwoman, a spaniard, a pakistani, an indian etc. And when I say horrendously racist, I truly mean it.

The thing that is surprising is, especially about no. 2, my dad is an immigrant from India. Yet he laughs and laughs, and when my brother and I call him out on how racist both of those shows are, he waves it away with "oh, you don't get humour", and "it's just a joke, lighten up" etc.

Man, and I thought Fawlty Towers was jarring, and the racism there is about 10% benign stereotypes and 90% Basil being an awful person about foreigners and getting dunked on for it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

Fawlty Towers is still hilarious.

Oh yeah, it's great. Growing up on 80s and 90s (American) network TV it's still pretty amazing what they got away with sometimes, though.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think he was actually meant to be Greek, but I haven't seen the episode in a while.

lol that's hardly an improvement as far as stereotypes go

That episode aged kind of weirdly. The plot "gay guy makes a pass at straight friend, they both freak out to extremes" is gay panic as hell, but having a gay guy that's semi-out and still passes for straight is pretty ahead of its time (as someone mentioned, Cleese's personal friendship with Graham Chapman probably helped on that count.)

the holy poopacy has a new favorite as of 16:37 on Jan 27, 2018

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Choco1980 posted:

Regarding NC-17, I remember when it was a new thing this diagram was posted at my local theater, and it still makes me laugh today:

I love the young guy with the huge grin that suddenly pops up for the NC-17 example.

look at the fuckin nerd goin to the R movie with his mom

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kuiperdolin posted:

Pratchett was a terrible and unfunny writer. I read an embarrassing amount of his dumb stuff to try and fit in in college, but the king is completely naked.

A lot of the early Discworld stuff is definitely overrated. It took Pratchett a dozen or so tries before he really started to get anywhere, but he did eventually start turning out some good stuff.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Krispy Wafer posted:

It's not a TV show or a movie, but I listened to the audiobook A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court (read by Nick Offerman) and after a slow start it legitimately read like a modern book.

hey now, modern literature hasn't degenerated that far.

I mean, Connecticut Yankee is awesome as a collection of satirical sketches lampooning everything that annoyed Mark Twain but it's a terrible, terrible story.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Great Metal Jesus posted:

While not exactly a show Lewis Black has aged extremely poorly. I loved him during the Bush years and went to play his most recent special for my roommate a year or so back cause she'd never seen any of his stand up. It was the most agonizing thing I've ever seen, just an hour and a half of an old man being mad about Facebook.

He was always bad :ssh:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

JediTalentAgent posted:

Given the comic book movie boom and a failure to do anything else with it, The Mask seems like a decent thing to do a Netflix anthology of. Effects might be through the roof unless they just got different directors/writers to do their own take on the concept of "Mask brings out the inner mania of its wearer" so you wouldn't have the films' cartoonishness in every one.

I dunno, I don't think it would actually be that bad. The cartoony style of the Mask's effects probably make it relatively cheap to do. The original movie didn't really have that big of a budget (adjusted for inflation, it cost less than S1 of Stranger Things) and we've had 25 years of advances in CG since then so you could probably do a series to the standards of the movie's effects for pretty cheap. If anything, I'd expect the cartoonishness to be a selling point since it would be way cheaper than doing the effects work on a traditional superhero.

EDIT: while hitting up google for some numbers I learned that the new Tick series cost $5 million a half hour, which is profoundly sad for how cheap it looks.

the holy poopacy has a new favorite as of 16:31 on Apr 8, 2018

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

King of Foolians posted:

I get what you are saying but (as others have pointed out) the border crossing between US and Canada is still less of a big deal than most other transfers between countries.
Now, an immigrant being concerned because a tiny technicality might negatively affect their citizenship in the US? I think that's aged pretty well.

The part where Martin successfully smuggles an immigrant into the U.S. without any kind of travel documents by bluffing a story about the dog, not so much.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Whiz Palace posted:

Joe Rogan's good. Maura Tierney, too. Dave Foley resolved his legal issues recently. I think, as a group, they're doing OK.

As for Dilbert, I liked the strip but even as a ten-year-old I could tell something was off about Scott Adams. You got the sense that he thought he was the smartest person in the world, and constructed his worldview accordingly.

I dunno, I think the first decade of Dilbert holds up pretty well (the first few years are kind of bad, but a different kind of bad than what Scott Adams is known for these days.) Early on Dilbert is meant as more of a lovable loser and is usually the butt of the joke; his supposed intelligence is used to contrast how clueless he actually is and he frequently gets outmaneuvered by people less "smart" than he is. It's only later that Dilbert started being a smug rear end in a top hat.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Convex posted:

Batman wasn't a real person

Fine, Bruce Wayne can be a black guy

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

DrBouvenstein posted:

Speaking of, didn't Trump say (back in the 90's or whenver) that he'd totally bone Princess Di (and/or that she totally wanted to bone him?) but he'd make her get an AIDS test first, presumably because of the times she shook hands/hugged people w/ HIV and Trump is an idiot?

That's just being prudent, after all 75% or more of all sexually active people will contract HPV at some point.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Gatekeeper posted:

speaking of Ted Nugent adopting a child specifically for rapin', I'm watching Fawlty Towers and mostly it has aged so well, like a fine wine, or an "opposite of the stuff nugent likes to rape", but the thing that really stands out is how ppl are like "wow what a retarded dago spic" when Manuel has trouble understanding English. like they're always depicted as jerks and Manuel despite his language difficulties is a good guy and very clever and bright in his own way, but it's still so jarring to hear slurs like that just tossed around Willy nilly like it's no No Biggie

Not to mention Basil constantly physically abusing him. Again, Basil is supposed to be a terrible person and most of the humor is watching him get his comeuppance but it's pretty crazy watching this pretentious twat beating Manuel over the head and people being just like eh whatever.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I think Firefly was an ok show on its own merits, but I definitely get hating it based on its creator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Randalor posted:

"Make Batman, but set it in high school!" is one of those decisions you hear about execs making and wonder just how many pills they had taken with their pre-lunch martini. Batman Beyond is a good show.

That being said, has Drawn Together aged well? Its humor was borderline offensive at the time, but fron what I remember it always seemed to be poking fun at stereotypes, and not at groups specifically. I'm afraid to rewatch it and learn that what I remember as being a borderline offensive funny cartoon (with a really lovely movie) is actually horribly offensive and I'm just a terrible person for liking it.

It was mostly tasteless and unfunny to begin with, so... even if it aged perfectly it's still pretty bad.

It did have some occasional gems, so I'll give it that.