Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

GoutPatrol posted:

Even me, a person who has rewatched every Whedon show several times (including Dollhouse) can't stand the musical episode. I remember liking it the first time it aired, and every subsequent time it gets worse.

I’m in the same situation - I always found the musical episode one gimmick too far (following Hush and The Body), and let down by the fact that only a few of the cast can actually sing so it turns into a painful listening experience filled with self aware jokes that really don’t work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Koalas March posted:

Iirc some magazine gave them those names and they ran with it. With the exception of Posh who they named Sexy Spice and she went with the other instead.

I remember the magazine in question as I had a copy of it (Top of the Pops Magazine from about September 96) - Victoria was Posh Spice from the start.

IIRC Sexy Spice was something which originated in the US, and given to Geri...

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Zebulon posted:

I want to say this was when they were trying to get the Japanese to stop killing whales and dolphins for no reason at all. The Japanese government officials they went to complain to literally used that phrase to confuse, disarm, and flatter the Americans into giving up and wandering off feeling like they accomplished something when literally nothing was accomplished. It's less a literal "ahahahaha asians have tiny dicks" thing and more of a "look at how loving stupid these people are and how easily they got played like a fiddle" thing. I could be horribly wrong, but that's what I recall. Pretty sure the Japanese officials even laugh about how well it works and how stupid the protesters are later because of it.

It's been ages since I watched South Park, but didn't they do the same thing early on in the Pokemon episode, which ended up with Stan's Dad (among others) calling the Japanese guy out on his small penis only for his to drop his pants and prove it?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Jedit posted:

There was a bit more to the departure of Chef than that. Isaac Hayes quit over the depiction of Scientology in the show, which pissed off Parker and Stone because they felt he'd been happy to laugh at other people's beliefs - not to mention that it was one of the rare times that the show actually criticised something without hyperbole. That's why they did to the character what they did.

To make it worse, Hayes never actually said what he was accused of! Instead it was the church of Scientology (or someone inbetween them and Hayes) who made the statements on his behalf.

Hayes never had an issue with the treatment of Scientology on the show.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Are they still trying to go ahead with that kickstarted Undergrads movie? Seems just a little too late...

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

It always amuses me to see regular rear end things in alien worlds in sci-fi movies/tv. I was watching an episode of Star Trek Enterprise, there was an episode where they were at some bazaar on an alien world and there were things kept in regular rear end metal cages.

It’s ongoing now - a few weeks ago Star Trek Picard had a regular 3D printer masquerading as a replicator!

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Nah, he's a junk person--he's a scientologist and I think somewhat big in the leadership. I don't know if he was one of the ones raised in it or if he's an adult convert, but definitely complicit in horrific human rights abuses.

Didn't he piss off a lot of people during his one year on Stargate SG-1 by trying to indoctrinate staff and cast members into Scientology?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Arivia posted:

Joe Fontana is good, but not worth the rest of the crap.

Did they explain what his deal was? I remember there was a point made about how he seemed to have a lot more money than a cop should, driving flashy cars and so on, but don't remember any explanation as to why (IIRC there were rumours of him being paid off by the mob?)

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

When did the Louis Theroux show with Savile come out in comparison to his death? ISTR that there was a lot of odd things brought up (involving his dead grandmother?) which were written off eccentric rather than malicious...

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

i don't think pick was identifying herself as part of that group, so much as pointing out that the group existed, was very large, and was actively poked by the show regularly

Doesn’t Supernatural have some really messed up fans, going to the extent to harassing their real life partners as they’re getting in the way of their dream Sam/Dean (or I suppose Jenson/Jared) pairing?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

MrUnderbridge posted:

Did Noddy ever do anything about Chalky the Snow White Golliwog? 'Cause, drat. That's some poorly aged media right there.

Some time in the 90s the evil golliwogs in Noddy were changed into evil goblins.

It reminds me of one of the Thomas the Tank Engine books, in which one of the trains blew a pile of soot onto some unruly kids, who were then described to be as ‘black as n******’.

It was later changed to as ‘black as soot’ for future printings, but the author protested the change, saying that the original description was factually correct or something.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Hattie Masters posted:

I was actually going to post about this, how both HIMYM and GoT ended so poorly that they effectively erased themselves from the cultural zeitgeist overnight. Are there any other examples of this? Where it ends and all of a sudden nobody could possibly give a poo poo?

Aside from certain channels refusing to stop showing it, and following on the HIMYM bandwagon, what about the other Chuck Lorre monstrosities - Two and a Half Men and Big Bang Theory?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Veotax posted:

Isn't the second pilot just a series of clips trying to show what the show would be rather than an actual episode? Like they re-shot scenes from the British show with the American cast.

Only time I've ever heard of someone making a clip show as a pilot.

No - there were two distinct US pilots, with two different Cats (one had the guy who made everyone sing in that Buffy episode, the other had Dax from DS9 playing Cat)

I believe one did have clips from Season 5’s Terrorform - I’d assume the bit from the beginning when Kryten was stranded in the wrecked ship, since he was the only UK actor to be carried to the US version.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also it's apparently based on some jerk who ruined a Dr Who fan forum

Oh it’s better than that - it’s based on a super fan who, during the 80s, was an unpaid continuity advisor on the show, which led to things like a story which drew on plot points from stories over 15 years earlier, some of which were no longer in the BBC archive.

He also was more recently (at the time) vociferous on fan forums, infamously calling Christopher Eccleston ‘lower than a cockroach’ for leaving the series.

He was very much the kind of person who’d call someone out for not being a fan ‘in the right way’.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Whybird posted:

Didn't he also singlehandedly fund, direct, and act in a direct-to-video episode after the show had been cancelled?

E: I stand corrected, he didn't ever release anything (and the only information available is on Kiwifarms, which is a lovely cesspool of hateful assholes so who knows)

Actually that’s pretty accurate! There was a period where Ian Levine (the fan in question) decided he was going to take on a multitude of projects, ranging from animating both a missing episode and completing a story which was abandoned in 1979 due to strike action (both successfully completed, as he had intended selling these to the BBC for release), and then he wanted to make productions of a litany of things he considered canon.

This is where things got messy, since the other projects were live action features being made on a significantly smaller budget, or basically slideshows with photoshopped pictures. It was unimpressive to say the least, and laughable at best.

He did create a 40 minute trailer of all these projects, which was either leaked or officially released. I’m not sure if it’s still online or whether he took it down...

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They had already effectively retired Apu for years until things blew up, iirc.

The Simpsons Movie could have been a lot better, but apparently suits didn't want them bringing back any characters they didn't think audiences wouldn't recognise, probably among other dumb decisions. They had a lot more cachet they could have used, I'd think, but just can't be bothered to. I imagine most of the writers are entirely checked out at this point.

Wasn't the movie supposed to have Hank Scorpio as the bad guy, but they thought he wasn't as well-known?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

I'm really curious what Brooklyn 99 is going to do - they did say that they scrapped the planned season in the wake of the BLM protests and I know they've not got the same hard-on for cops that other shows seem to have.

I'm secretly hoping for the first episode to begin with 'well, we all got fired and we're private detectives now!'

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Cleretic posted:

At worst he might see it similar to how the final producer for the original run of Doctor Who did; he had the longest run as producer simply because he felt that the BBC wouldn't replace him and would use it as an excuse to axe the show (which turned out to be true).

At least with the end of original Doctor Who they had reason to think it would end when the producer left - no-one at the BBC wanted it, the ratings were plummeting and the fans weren’t too hot on it.

With The Simpsons, it’s stop getting good ratings and I assume Fox are still happy enough to want to keep it going (wasn’t the only thing that threatened it a few years ago was the voice actors wanting more money?)

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

My favorite episode of Hell's Kitchen was when they had little kids on and seeing Gordon do a complete 180 of his usual persona.

Isn't that Ramsay's usual persona, and the angry swearing British chef is a thing amplified for his Fox shows?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

She came from a planet where they had roving rape gangs. Her experience with men was a little more than careless lovers.

No - they’re talking about the woman Data dated in ‘In Theory’.

Who might have slept around the ship - it’s been a long time since I saw that one.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

I thought McFarlane had moved on from the production of Family Guy years ago (maybe around the time of the Star Wars specials?) - he’s now just coming in to do the voices.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Was Whedon responsible for the Buffy plot line where a a lesbian turns evil after her girlfriend is murdered, but is saved by the love of a man?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Roblo posted:

They did a great job of making Thunderbird 2 look big, given that it's a model. The shape of it, the sound of it's engines spooling up etc. Feels beefy.

This is probably my biggest complaint about the recent CGI Thunderbirds remake - Thunderbird 2 did not feel as big as it should have done as felt a lot faster than it should be.

Although I will say that despite the new series setting itself up to be horrific, aside from a few characterization choices it ended up really enjoyable and a strong remake of the series.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

Their excuse for no Baby Yoda merch was that they wanted the character reveal to be a surprise but that doesn't explain why it took them so long to actually start putting it out.

Wasn’t there also a concern that one of the manufacturers might accidentally leak Baby Yoda, so they didn’t even start production of merchandise until it’d been revealed on screen?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

I’ve not watched The Simpsons in many years - did they get rid of Apu as was insinuated after that one guy complained he was a racial stereotype?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Even among B5's dedicated fans (disclosure: I am one) there's plenty of folks who will argue that the show is the only really good thing JMS ever had in him, and he hasn't caught lightning in a bottle that way again.

To be honest, a lot of his Babylon 5 work outside the core series isn’t that good either!

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

The TNG remasters were unique - they went back to the Paramount archives, and located all the original film. Then they remastered the film, and then reconstructed the episodes based on the original camera scripts. Then they added effects consistent with what was on screen (occasionally fixing things like a phaser coming from the torpedo launcher), so it’s probably the best overall remaster possible!

The only trouble was that the remastering was ridiculously expensive, and the bluray sales didn’t justify moving on to DS9 or Voyager. I do wonder how much that was them putting the remasters on Netflix, so removing a lot of the value in the blurays…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Do they still sell them as ‘Mr. Brains’ Faggots’, or have they conceded to renaming them?