Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«6 »
Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Someone mentioned The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy a few pages back, and it reminded me that show had a legit God Emperor of Dune episode featuring Mandy as Leto II and Billy as Duncan Idaho, and now I'm wondering how that held up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Gann Jerrod posted:

Cartoon All Stars to the Rescue belongs in this thread. It perfectly captures the anti-drug strategy of the time, in that they had no clue how to deal with it so they just threw every cartoon character available.

Holy poo poo, I thought that my memories of that were just the kind of confabulation that happens when you try to remember something from when you were in first or second grade. Finding out it absolutely exists is stranger than thinking my 7 year old mind cooked it up.

E: holy poo poo, George C Scott voiced the villain. There is always more and it is always weirder.

Ugly In The Morning has a new favorite as of 00:28 on Aug 12, 2017

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

I never saw it on TV- I was born in 88, so it probably left that phase before I started watching it on TV. They showed it on VHS in one of my elementary school classes, and when you take how surreal it was with the young age people were at when they saw it, the fragmented memories definitely seem like something you just dreamed up.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Hattie Masters posted:

IIRC, and it's been a long time so bear with me on this, but I think the explanation they used was that they were talking about finding the original proof. Which is a complete cop-out, but at least it's not offensively stupid.

Isn't there another sci fi series that pulled the same retcon?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Guy Mann posted:

A lot of The Shield has aged pretty poorly because it tried so hard to show that this ain't your daddy's basic cable cop show in a way that looks hilarious to modern eyes, but nothing tops the end of the first episode: there's a huge dramatic moment that more or less the entire rest of the series hinges on and the entire scene is set to a loving Kid Rock song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUMedltaieg

This is not edited in any way.

Is there a better way to introduce the villains of a show than to show them trying to act hard and start their downfall to a kid rock song, though?

The shield is awesome, and did the whole villain as a protagonist thing well before breaking bad did.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Safari app hosed up, this was supposed to go in the r/relationships thread

Ugly In The Morning has a new favorite as of 15:46 on Sep 2, 2017

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Isn't the first season pretty well known as not being nearly as good as what came after? It's been a while since I watched TNG

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

3rd rock from the Sun had an episode where Sally was mistaken for a cross dresser that didn't age great, but they generally were pretty decent about not making the jokes about her being confused about gender roles mean or bigoted. Usually it was just making fun of gender roles themselves. That show is still hilarious.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Your Computer posted:

He's the one with the dumb AI conspiracy theories too isn't he? Help, computers are gonna take over the world and only mister moneybags can save us

That's Elizier Yudkowski, who thinks you should give him money so his Harry Potter fan fiction can save the world.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I just watched a Futurama episode all about "EyePhones" and "Twitting" and Susan Boyle. I'd forgotten Futurama had episodes this bad.

Almost entirely after the revival. The original run is still gold, but sadly no longer on Netflix.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

spincube posted:

He drove, angry, in Drive Angry, is what. There is nothing in my heart but earnest love for that film.

God, that movie was a great return to form for Cage. Just pure grade-A trash, in the best possible way.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

ElwoodCuse posted:

Most recent I can think of is in 2011 the Beastie Boys did a half hour video called Fight For Your Right (Revisited) that had a ton of cameos. A shorter version of that was the video for Make Some Noise.

A particularly meta example, since a lot of that is about how badly the beastie boys would have aged if they kept doing the same thing for 30 years.

It's a pretty fantastic short, too.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Speaking of SVU, the first season has a scene where they're trying to track down who the victim of frat hazing gone too far knew, so they say they'll look at the victim's facebook. I knew that word meant something different back in the day, but it still threw my brain for a weird loop when they pull out an actual book with pictures of people in it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Achernar posted:

This is actually an old Hollywood gimmick to give more money to show creators. The theme to Bonanza or I Dream of Jeanie also had lyrics written for them but not used in the intros.

I'm pretty sure the lyrics for Suicide is Painless were used in the film. When the story was adapted for TV, they got cut. It's kind of a different situation since when that song was written the MASH tv show was a ways off

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Catch 22 is one of the funniest and most infuriating books I've ever read. I hope they cast someone with the most punchable face possible for Arfy.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Genuinely surprised by Confederacy - as the ur-goon myself, I instantly recognized it as a book about a goon who lives before the internet.
It's tiggum, though. If there were dosimeters for obliviousness we all would have hit the lifetime limit after being exposed to a year or two of his posts.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Aesop Poprock posted:

Well now that 2017's almost over it looks like he's back to the attractive John Goodman we all knew from Tiger beat magazine

10 cloverfield was filmed before he lost all that weight, and then the studio sat on it for ages. By the time it came out John Goodman was half the man he used to be.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Choco1980 posted:

Dan Ackroyd has DEFINITELY always been embarrassing.

Fixed this. Though I'll give him passes on Ghostbusters and Grosse Point Blank.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

yeah the GBA is almost 2 decades old

loving a. I got that system with a
Castlevania, Advamce Wars, and a bright as hell lamp.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

The one thing the Simpsons does remarkably well is showcase how nostalgia is handled in modern American culture. It's lapped itself for being on the air for so long that a nostalgia comeback may be impossible.

I remember watching all of my season 3 DVD as a nostalgia trip when I had strep throat my senior year of high school in 2006. loving A Iím old and how has that not been canceled yet? Itís been reviled longer than anyone liked it. By a while!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'd be curious to see if there's any Law and Order (the original show) eps that age poorly. SVU is obviously a really messed up show in subject matter, but it's pretty pro-victim generally, with Mariska Hargitay becoming a real life activist for abuse victims, Criminal Intent has the irritating/compelling "detective who is troubled but brilliant" thing but that's a trope that will take a while to go away.

Unrelated, but it's kind of funny how many people who were on Oz ended up as regulars on Law and Order or one of the spinoffs.

At least Criminal Intent was less ďtroubled but brilliantĒ and more ďloving insane but brilliantĒ. And it didnít really show any of his home life, so instead of dumb drama plots that age badly itís a lot of Díonfrio going apeshit while everyone around him is like

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

duck trucker posted:

South Park definitely hasn't aged well but it has its moments. The best episodes is when they play with that fact that they're kids.

There's an episode where the boys are trying to infiltrate the girls sleepover to steal their "machine that tells the future." Which is just one of these.

Yeah, it always got the most mileage from the fact itís kids being kids, or if not that, jammed into situations over their head. I think thatís why the games have really hit the sweet spot for me- the core concept is the kids neighborhood dress up game goes completely off the rails.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

ExplodingSims posted:

John K is a very good example of how sometimes the TV censor actually adds to a show.

Yeah, a lot of the time some great art is found in limitations. Itís why thereís a lot of old special effects that hold up better than movies where they could put whatever they imagined up on the screen.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Jedit posted:

Apart from it being Slater in a forest instead of a grip in a studio, that's exactly what it was. The word wasn't part of a dialogue, it was used by itself in a reaction shot.

Still, I'm not sure if it's better or worse than Galaxy Quest, where Sigourney Weaver sees the hydraulic crushers and her "gently caress that" gets obviously dubbed to "screw that" in the UK because it already got the PG rating for the torture scene.

Iím pretty sure the gently caress that was dubbed over in the US as well.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Solice Kirsk posted:

Here in the US our ratings are determined by.....well, no body knows. And set to standards determined by how much money the studio has.

Wasnít the puppet sex in Team America put in for the purpose of having something to take out when the MPAA objected and somehow they ended up just giving it whatever rating they were looking for on the first shot?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Calaveron posted:

And all the surrounding neighborhoods aren't going to be affected by a major global internet conglomerate putting their campus smack dab in the middle of the city

That was going to happen either way, though. Getting to save the land for the park was the major victory.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

HopperUK posted:

It was an Italian greyhound which is basically the same thing, and I have no idea why that little bit of trivia has lodged in my mind. Has anyone watched Frasier lately? Does it hold up at all? I really loved it back in the day.

I just started rewatching it on Netflix. Itís still great. Itís rare for a sitcom to age well, but it absolutely did.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

food court bailiff posted:

Also Frasier is still a great show. Even its weaker seasons are miles better than a lot of shows. RIP Mahoney

Honestly, as far as sitcoms go, the only thing I can think of that kept up such a consistent tone and level of quality is Itís Always Sunny. Kind of funny, since itís basically Frazierís polar opposite.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

RestingB1tchFace posted:

That's when I think South Park when WAY down hill and I quit watching. The early seasons where there wasn't a current social topic as the focus of the episodes were by far the best. My favorite episode is definitely when they travel to Aspen. So many funny jokes in that one. A couple of more recent episodes that I did find good where the ones where aliens traveled through a portal. Brought up the illegal immigration issue which as relevant if not more relevant today. The other one was the High School Musical episode.

The high school musical one had the ďletís make bullying kill itselfĒ song, right? The first time I heard that I cracked up. Itís so very wrong, but so hilarious.

South Park took a bit of a poo poo in 2008 or so for me, but around season 15 or 16 it came back pretty strong. Humancentipad leaned a bit heavy on current events but even now itís still really funny. I havenít seen the latest two seasons but I hear itís on a skid again.

Law and Order SVU aged so bad. Why canít original l and o, or CI be streaming anywhere? Those were fantastic.

E:though the writing for the show is iffy these days, the South Park games nail what made the show fantastic in its early days. Worth a rental/sale purchase if thatís what youíre looking for.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Wheat Loaf posted:

One bit that stuck out to me as especially is when they go to question a rapper called "Gots Money" and Stabler takes out dice and says, "I'm gonna roll these dice, which is what your cellmate is gonna do to decide how many times he's gonna surprise sex you!" <rolls dice> "Oh, look, I 'gots' an 11!"

After Meloni left the show and Stabler was written out as being fired, there was some mention of a lot of his cases being thrown out because of his methods.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

sassassin posted:

They insisted on killing her because the story doesn't really make any sense if they don't. They'd been building up to it for years.

Ted frequently tells himself (and his kids) that he and Robin don't work, but that lady doth protest too much. It's the only way the show was ever going to end.

It would have been better if it were 3 or 4 seasons shorter but that's the reality of successful television shows.

Yeah, seasons 5-8 were pretty unnecessary. Some of 5 was good but it got pretty dire after that.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Iím watching Rescue Me on Hulu right now. The first few seasons are well done, but dated by how recent 9/11 was. Itís a major part of how the characters relate to each other, but, nearly 2 decades later itís... weird. I used to work right by where the towers were, and the Freedom Tower was going up then. Itís not in the skyline here. It all feels wrong. Gotta love the early 2000ís.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Krispy Wafer posted:

Rescue Me started sucking around the time he stopped seeing dead people.

Yeah, thatís a fair assessment of when it crawled up itís own rear end

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

SpacePig posted:

I think that's what makes shows like Seinfeld or Arrested Development work so well. The main characters are arguably supposed to be sympathetic, and they think they are, but we see that they're just as bad as everyone else and the humor comes from them not winning in the way they think they are.

Itís Always Sunny is great for that too, in that Charlie is a pretty sympathetic character but heís also a goddamn lunatic.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

As far as reality/game show hybrids go, The Mole was fantastic. I loved how paranoid people got about the fact one of their teammates was trying to screw the team over, and season 1 was hosted by Anderson Cooper. Show ruled.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Inescapable Duck posted:

Or they sell it as a better alternative to getting it stolen and/or gutted within days.

I thought that there was some kind of no-sell clause in the contracts, which would make it the most pointless show to be on.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Calaveron posted:

Only the last season got overly political with a who will win Obama the hope of the people or Mitchtron Romneybot 3000 who feeds on the poor for energy

Yeah, but even that was balanced out with some great resolution to some of the characters. It was only 13 episodes, too, so itís not like thereís THAT much filler.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Calaveron posted:

Oh my god how could I forget that Parks & Rec also has Tom, who is by far the worst most unlikable most unpleasant character, far beyond April and Andy, his only saving grace being that he connects us to Jean Ralphio

Amen. Pretty much 90 percent of his screen time was him doing or saying the most selfish or douchey things on the show.

(The remaining 10 percent was when the other characters were talking.)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

mostlygray posted:

That's the character. He never grows, if anything, he get's more selfish. That's the joke. Jean-Ralphio and Mona Lisa are there to show you how Tom is even worse than them at heart. You're not supposed to like him. He's a tiny, cute, sad idiot.

Yeah, and I donít mind that kind of stuff on the side characters like Jean Ralphio or Mona Lisa, but when you stack him up against any of the arcs for the main cast that makes him fall completely flat. Also heís just painfully obnoxious to watch. gently caress everything about the way he talks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

lamey_whinehouse posted:

So this isn't really an old episode I'm watching, but I'm currently watching a season 16 L&O:SVU episode (which, i should know better, but it's trashy Sunday afternoon background noise while i clean the house).

This episode deals with a girl who was gang raped at a frat party (why do people still send their kids to Hudson University?), but the main focus seems to be making fun of the professor criticizing "surprise sex culture". Why are ya'll lampooning the character for speaking on topics your show's protagonists are ostensibly against? It just really rubs me the wrong way.

Itís weird, too, since the first season had an episode about schools trying to cover up surprise sex investigations with ďinternal investigationsĒ and the like.

«6 »