Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

kupachek posted:

Owning firearms, much like owning a plethora of other expensive goods makes you a target for thieves, and locks only keep out honest people.

So having guns makes people rob you? If I was an American thief, I’d do my best to rob unarmed people: much less chance of getting shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I was trying for gentle sarcasm to point out a logical inconsistency, when I obviously should have linked a video of Jim Jeffries screaming “THEN THEY’RE NO loving PROTECTION THEN, ARE THEY?”

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

muscles like this! posted:

Kind of like CSI where they made up this idea that crime scene techs carry guns and arrest people.

And extra-judicially knife-fight their wife’s murderer to death on top of a Brazilian mountain.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Just constantly beam hair onto his head .

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

BioEnchanted posted:

Someone else, the move happened 18 months after Gordon left because the show caused her business to boom so hard the old building couldn't take it. 12 months till the show aired, 6 months packed to the rafters until bad word of mouth from having to turn away customers, causing a climate of "Why bother going there we'll never get in"

Just to clarify, even if you have a restaurant that’s full every night, is loved by a 3 Michelin starred chef and are featured on t.v, hubris can still gently caress you.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Solice Kirsk posted:

Did anyone watch the new David Brent movie thing? Is it worth me checking out or is it as boring as his other post Extras shows?

If you didn’t see that half hour pre-Office thing where he’s the owner of a chain of video stores who wants to be the worlds best David Bowie impersonator, you’re missing out.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Hakuchimoya, I am far from the sacred bones of my ancestors,

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Inescapable Duck posted:

A Hitman TV show might be great.
I’m torn between a) You love the Hitman movies, think they’re great and want more of the same only a third the length and every week or b) have never seen a Hitman movie due to you being below the age at which people are commonly admitted to these films, and are commensurately filled with insanely naive optimism.
No normal person would conclude ‘great’ as a possible outcome of a Hitman tv series, is what I’m saying.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Inescapable Duck posted:

Eh? I've never seen the movies. I'm talking about the games. (also not the comic book) Are you talking about the movies based on the games or something else?

I’m saying the games are of varying quality, and everything with the Hitman brand that isn’t a game is poo poo. The books are poo poo, the movies are poo poo: no one should have any expectation of ‘greatness’ from a t.v series based on the 100% poo poo rate already established by the idiots in charge of this franchise.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Leavemywife posted:

I'm still broken hearted about finding out what an rear end in a top hat he really is.

Unfortunately, to a teenager in the 80’s he was cool as poo poo in Best Seller and Cop. I also liked Mickey Rourke too, who also had rear end in a top hat tendencies (but probably less lovely politics).

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I kind of like Joe Rogan for the exact reason above: if you watch a bunch of his recent stuff, you can actually see him learning to think a bit more critically, and he generally shuts up when someone who knows more than him is telling him stuff he doesn’t know.
He’s never been funny on stage though.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I think there’s specifically one where someone explains the moon landings to him, and by the end he stops thinking they’re faked.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Now I need someone to pick up The Expanse :(

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Sorry but that story seems bogus to me. Nobody stood up and clapped at the end.

Also no one pointed out that the kid… was inhuman!

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Dorn does a lot of voice acting for superhero cartoons and he's fabulous at it. He's Kalibak in JLU and they couldn't have found a better fit.

He also owns a jet!

He’s one of the default male human npc voices in World of Warcraft: Worf is really a bank teller in Stormwind.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Toshimo posted:

This reminds me, would y'all say The Shield aged well, or poorly?

The soundtrack mainly hasn’t, lot of trash nu-metal and off brand rap on that. Other than that, it’s still the best police show ever made. ‘The Wire’ is not a “police show”, to forestall the inevitable comparison.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Mu Zeta posted:

I want a medical drama in the style of The Wire that's all about making the weekly metrics, dealing with funding, and all the bureaucratic BS that's in the health field. Absolutely zero scenes of practicing medicine or surgeries.

Featuring one scene where the head surgeons stand around looking at x rays for ten minutes and the only dialogue is the word ‘gently caress’.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Cops all smoked in the movies in the 80’s: in the 90’s all movie cops were trying to quit.

Also, I worked in a hospice in the late 80’s as a porter, and virtually every person that worked there smoked, in reply to the guy amazed at smoking doctors.

Torquemada has a new favorite as of 17:54 on Jun 23, 2018

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
It’s the costumes, like half the budget went on costumes.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Milo and POTUS posted:

Why is there rifling in the shotgun

Not a gun expert, but I seem to recall you can get rifled shotguns, if only because ‘smoothbore’ is a thing. Why qualify smoothbore if there’s no other variety?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Truga posted:

rifled shotguns barrels do exist, they're used for firing slugs

Ye, been reading up on the Paradox Gun, rifled for the last 2” of the bore, for pellets or slugs, and invented by Fosbery, of Webley-Fosbery fame.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Blast Fantasto posted:

Just watched a Golden Girls where the girls hire a black housekeeper and are convinced that she put a vodooo curse on them ahhhhhhh

They all live in Florida, checks out.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

uli2000 posted:

Any cop that's constantly hitting up people he pulls over for dates would surely be fired now a days.

Just a reminder that currently the penalty for extrajudicial murder is a paid vacation.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Wheat Loaf posted:

Interview with Playboy in 1971; the relevant part is actually on Wikipedia:

The whole article is great, in fact, most of those interviews are a great read. Also, and I’m sure most people overlooked this fact, there’s pictures of glistening tits on every other page that isn’t interviews.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Solice Kirsk posted:

Eeesh. Unless they move on to some sort of anthology type thing I can't see how much more story they have to tell.

Dear god, we're gonna get more of the Chicago street smart magic gang aren't we?

I was fine with it, it fits a very narrow niche of 80s pop culture, the idea that you could run away to the big city and a gang of punks who live in a graffiti covered warehouse full of pinball machines and neon lights could help you realise who you truly were while moody synthwave plays in the background is something I’d have been in love with in 1984 when I was thirteen.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Glancing at Wikipedia it was a case of them finding traces of cocaine and him voluntarily withdrawing his request for entry into the US (which is different from being denied entry), so I'm guessing it'll be okay.

A friend of mine had a band. His manager booked them a bunch of venues in the US, but organised the tour under the wrong kind of visa. This was treated as the band trying to illegally enter the US, they got turned back, tour cancelled etc. My friend still isn’t allowed to enter the US, more than 20 years later. He works for an American guy with a huge amount of money and resources who assured him that making all this ancient history go away would be child’s play for his legal team. Wrong.
That’s just a for a visa mix up.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

purple death ray posted:

You don't have to spell it out, like fallout wouldn't be improved by a big text dump explaining why rape isn't a thing in this setting, but you also aren't improving the game by spelling out that it does happen.

Someone find that “inevitable consequences of piracy” quote from the Star Citizen thread. Something about ‘a short .gif of your character being defiled is something we all desire’.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Joffrey didn’t retire rich from GoT, all you guys who don’t know what tv actors in second tier roles get paid. He could maybe buy a house. A small one, in an ok town.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Krispy Wafer posted:

Maybe Joffrey was still rich from all that Dark Knight money.

I looked him up on imdb, he probably pulled in 350-450k for his entire career so far. That’s in UK pounds, before taxes, agents percentage etc. That’s not peanuts, but it’s not set for life money.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I think she quit acting partially because of some moderate-to-severe health issues (bipolar disorder?), so she might not have stuck around for too long anyway.

Severe, look at some recent pictures, there’s nothing moderate about her issues.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Koalas Massacre posted:

You are really not giving Black Lightning the credit it deserves imo

https://twitter.com/NafessaWilliams/status/1067175292962316290?s=19

I haven’t seen the show yet, what’s going on in this tweet?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Self checkouts are the greatest blessing to an unhappy world, if you’re me. Watching people loving around trying to pay for their groceries with a jar of pennies, people who’ve never seen food or bags before trying to put food in bags- all a thing of the past. Saves me the most enormous amount of time; though my father in law (retired boomer with plenty of cash and time) will happily wait in a queue for 15 minutes to buy a pack of gum because ‘I don’t see why I should do the store’s job for them’, like scanning the gum and waving a contactless card is somehow work.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Krispy Wafer posted:

Since Publix is employee owned I guess that means it's employees are the antigay assholes.

Rewatching the Sopranos and I'm amazed at how much people talk on their mobile phones. Paulie and Christopher are stranded in the forrest and they're trying to call Tony when it'd be so much easier to text or share their location.

And what the gently caress happened to that Russian who killed all the Czechs?

No one knows. I enjoyed The Sopranos, but felt mystified as to the perception of that episode as basically the best episode of the show. It was pretty good, I guess?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Beachcomber posted:

^^^ there's no way I can pack as fast as they scan,

I can pack faster and more accurately than any convenience store motherfucker on earth and have my debit card ready to pay at the same time. Plus if you pack your own stuff, you can make sure toothpaste doesn’t end up in the fridge bag.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Beachcomber posted:

Where's the line between censoring the past rifftracks and Spielberg replacing the guns in ET with walkie talkies?

The ET thing is almost the stupidest thing I ever heard of: he should have re-edited it to show more guns, rpg’s, landmines, drones, apc’s, full tac gear. The cute struggle as Eliot tries to stay with ET should have the kid being maced and tazed and subdued with baton rounds at a minimum. Just to keep it barely believable.

Also editing your lovely past behaviour is the reason Brad Pitt’s character carves swastikas into nazi foreheads in Inglourious Basterds, so maybe don’t. If you need to preface all your material, past present and future with an apology, or explanation and trigger warnings do that, instead of revising everything to make it look like you’re a saint.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Tiggum posted:

They don't seem to be trying to hide anything though. If anything, they're calling attention to their own transgressions and acknowledging them, while also making their products better and more accessible?

I’m not specifically talking about them, this is something that happens a lot, in lots of different media.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
The only blameless person on that show was the sad lawyer, who recently received a cancer diagnosis incompatible with a long happy life. He has a young kid. An almost Scrubsian denouement.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Mooseontheloose posted:

Frank Underwood wasn't so much smart as everyone had to be written as so loving dumb to make him the smartest man alive.

He was constantly surrounded by politicians, so not that tough a sell.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Barry Foster posted:

Does it sound weird that I specifically like the backgrounds of 80s and 90s animation? Especially the anime or anime-inflected cartoons of the time.

Nope, I love background art in the same way. I used to love the cityscapes in Judge Dredd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Uh, you should post the after pic. Due to life changes she now looks like someone who stirs a pot of grits in a lumber camp.