Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
A while back, I wrote an article with a similar premise as this thread, except it went in the other direction (episodes that were once normal, but now tragic to watch).

- A MASH episode guest starring Patrick Swayze as a soldier with cancer
- A Golden girls episode where they think about death and Betty White ponders, "what happens when there's only one of us left?"
- The Just Say No episode of Diff'rent strokes where Nancy Reagan comes on and all the cast agrees that drugs are bad.
- The Family Ties episode where Alex does too much Ritalin and becomes a twitching mess

Also not sure if it ever was kosher, but this rape-scene-played-for-laughs is a 10 on the cringe scale:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff0cq7rFAt0

Drunk Nerds has a new favorite as of 07:05 on Aug 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Avenging_Mikon posted:

32 people have died in my house since I moved in.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Calaveron posted:

Yeah because at least the 80's don't really date themselves that much while the 90's episode hinges on Nirvana and Starbucks
Like I think the only super concrete 80's reference is Mr Burns playing Pac-Man in his office and the general griminess of the 80's

Off the top of my head: Homer spoils Empire strikes back, 9 to 5 song plays, Homer sings Girls Just wanna have fun

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Calaveron posted:

If I recall correctly Roz also gets teased a couple of times because of her husky voice
There was also that episode where Frasier has an extended dream sequence where he accidentally picks up a transsexual prostitute

This is two different episodes. Dream Sequence is flamboyant coworker Gil Chesterton in bed with him. Weird episode.

Transexual prostitute pickup was wacky misunderstanding.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Calaveron posted:

No, I know what I'm talking about. I wasn't talking about the Chesty episode, I meant the episode where he has an extended fantasy sequence wherein he picks up a lady stuck in the rain who ends up being a transsexual or at least man in drag I don't know what the correct term would be prostitute. He gets into a world of trouble and he has to explain the situation to his fat son Freddy, who asks him if that means he shouldn't try to help people when he can, the sequence ends with it flashing back to just before Frasier picks up the lady and he does so, letting you know that no matter what you should always try to help people and the lady turns out to be one of his neighbors

Huh, you're right. I always thought it was just a different woman at the end. Jeez what a weird copout

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I remember Cupid, a "audience voted on who marries some attractive lady" show, produced by Simon Cowell, and airing in like July(worst month for TV viewership). While most contestants were normal, one contestant was super skeevy (had her get naked for a hot oil massage on their first date). Because no one was watching/voting, skeevy dude made it to the final two and it was hilarious, with the woman's friends constantly begging the voters to stop, while this lady has to go on a date with a guy who constantly made things awkward.

Made a horrible show actually watchable.

E: come to think of it, that hasn't aged well. i remember loving watching this greasy guy constantly proposing sexually-forward activities to the horror of his date. Today, I'd just feel bad.

Drunk Nerds has a new favorite as of 03:10 on Jan 18, 2018

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Having literally never seen anything ever comic book related except freeze in Batman & Robin, can someone explain what was so amazing about these freeze episodes? Not being sarcastic this stuff is interesting, but I want to know why he seems to be gold standard

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

What are the worst examples of tv shows that completely ran out of juice in their final seasons? You know, where the cast is visibly exhausted and everything and there's a pervasive sense that they just want to get it over with and go home?

I wrote an article for Cracked, back 10 years ago when it wasn't horrible poo poo, that looked at exactly this:
https://archive.li/y0iw0

Basically

- Roseanne's last season was off the rails stupid
- Flintstones brought in time traveling, wish granting alien
- Family Matters turned into Urkel's sci fi wackyporium
- Felicity, freaking felicity, turned from romcom teen show to time traveling witch poo poo
- Airwolf lost the rights to use the helicopter, so it pieced together shows with archived footage of the Airwolf

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

I remember this article, good work.

Thanks, Pick. Good work on your STar Trek drawings thread going gold, I am willing to eat crow for hating on it.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

Jerry was doing pretty well for himself to the tune of buying his father a new cadillac on a lark and it's what, 1 bed 1 bath? I find it fairly believable.

IF you find that article lemme know I kinda wanna read it now

e:

This might be number one response in the thread cuz wow for such a classic it is... kinda jaw dropping

Could you (or someone else) please elaborate why?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
The thing about Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is that casting clearly seeks out people with musical, even Broadway, experience. So they're able to naturally hit notes and can focus on being directed to be funny.

Every other show has comedic actors singing in their musical episodes, so the actors are focused on singing, not on selling the comedy. That's why CEG is so drat good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrytvZc5Tew
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gVOeTHoOXY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlrynHRC0pA

Drunk Nerds has a new favorite as of 05:44 on Oct 19, 2018

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
My wife just gave me my Christmas present early: Every season of the Golden Girls on DVD

I'm pleased to say that, so far (and barring that weird Mink episode), despite the fact that it's the most ribald show in history, it's all still loving amazing and relatively politically correct.

In episode 3, Rose hasn't had sex since her husband died. She falls for a dude on a cruise, and he pressures her until she reveals that she's nervous, then he backs off and gets a separate room. Then she reveals that the reason she's nervous is because her husband had a heart attack and died while in bed with her.

gently caress, Golden Girls has to be the main reason I devoted my life to comedy writing

Drunk Nerds has a new favorite as of 05:37 on Dec 15, 2018

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

mllaneza posted:

That show balances "risque" with "family friendly" in a way no other show could, or even attempted.

The Golden Girls did so many things on the reg that shows are just barely starting to explore now.

Like how the writers had it in their contract that they could do up to two "flashback" shows a year, which was standard. Gives writers a break in the middle of a hectic schedule: Just string together a threadbare plot and fill it out from past clips.

... Except almost all of the Golden Girls flashback episodes are 100% new and they just make up stuff that "happened in the past" and filmed it, complete with all new sets.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Drunk Nerds posted:

My wife just gave me my Christmas present early: Every season of the Golden Girls on DVD

I'm pleased to say that, so far (and barring that weird Mink episode), despite the fact that it's the most ribald show in history, it's all still loving amazing and relatively politically correct.

In episode 3, Rose hasn't had sex since her husband died. She falls for a dude on a cruise, and he pressures her until she reveals that she's nervous, then he backs off and gets a separate room. Then she reveals that the reason she's nervous is because her husband had a heart attack and died while in bed with her.

gently caress, Golden Girls has to be the main reason I devoted my life to comedy writing

Just watched most episodes. They treat trans/crossdressing as something humiliating and bad, so that hasn't aged well. The rest holds up, which is impressive for a show that was basically 70% offensive jokes.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

British humor loving sucks. Brits aren't funny, and you only spend your teens laughing because you don't realize the episode where someone has a horrible opinion but sticks to it is supposed to be relatable because it was for brits who have bad opinions and wish they still ruled other countries despite being dumbasses

I can't understand them. Why do half the words have a silent "t?"

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Araenna posted:

The amount of laughter at the beginning of the rape scene in All in the Family episode "Edith's 50th Birthday" definitely hasn't aged well. It does address things about rape culture I don't remember hearing about until the 2000s at least. Overall I was kinda impressed with how it was done. They do have Gloria attack Edithhorribly for not going to the cops after they pick the rapist up after he attacks another woman, Edith smacks her, but then Edith is the only one who apologizes. She then goes to the police station with Archie. That part was pretty lovely, but not necessarily dated. They did also have a lot about how going to the police could just end with Edith dragged through the mud before that though? Apparently there was an episode about Gloria going through something similar that I don't remember (tbf I don't remember a lot of the show to begin with). They also had a homophobic joke from Archie that was obviously played for a genuine laugh and not an "Archie is a terrible bigot" laugh that really aged badly.

Yeah that whole scene is really bizarre.

I wrote an article for ranker a long time ago about vintage tv show episodes that are now like a knife twisting in the heart. Not sure I put it in here. Here are some highlights:

- Patrick Swayze guest stars on MASH and finds out he has cancer
- The Golden Girls decide to stick together forever, and Betty White muses "but what happens when there's only one of us left?"
- said Edith bunker scene

brb my kids have overflowed the toilet

Drunk Nerds has a new favorite as of 03:17 on Jan 11, 2019

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Having trouble finding a source, but I heard Mr. Rogers would save all his old outfits and re-film scenes from old episodes where he said something antiquated. The example I heard was about how he had a scene explaining that daddies went to work and mommies watches the kids, and he refilmed it and edited the new scene in.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I was gonna look up a local statue of a champion racehorse, but the eyes are weird.

Maybe you need glasses?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Still watching the DVD set of Golden Girls my wife got me for Christmas. I must be approaching my tenth go through. It aged well. Like the episode where Rose is addicted to prescription painkillers, but the Girls convince her to go a night without them. They all stay up with her all night, and just when Rose is about to give up she realizes it is morning and she made it, and she can live without painkillers...

... then a day later she's on them again and checks into rehab.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

Speaking of TV that won't age well, they're doing a series (or movies?) based on Bruce Colville's "Aliens Ate My Homework" series, and I don't they're going to translate well to screen at all.

They've already done the first one. Not familiar with the series, but I watched it with my kids and I didn't notice anything beyond comedic violence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Brother Entropy posted:

wasn't the point of that season 3 episode that she was just doing to the 20 something what her lovely ex-husband from season 1 was doing to her though? that's not really inconsistent at all

Agreed. Character development isn't "not aging well."