Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

normal-ass vampire
Feb 14, 2011

Sarcopenia posted:

Don't go back and watch old episodes of Law and Order SVU unless you enjoy a barrage of T slurs and general transphobia. The handling of male victims is also really terrible.
But weirdly enough there were a lot more Asian actors roaming around. I guess they didn't find that necessary after they got BD Wong's fine rear end on the show.

:doink:

Yeah I recently rewatched some old episodes of SVU and this really stuck out. It was jarring how they were overall surprisingly respectful towards gay characters considering when those episodes were made, then would turn around and call trans characters by the wrong name/gender and casually drop slurs at them like it’s nothing. I didn’t remember any of that stuff, probably because I was a dumb kid when I first watched the show and was only barely aware of trans people at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

normal-ass vampire
Feb 14, 2011
Speaking of Matt Groening stuff that didn't age well. I was recently rewatching some of Futurama and "Bend Her" is just painful. Bender gets a female body installed so he can cheat at a sports competition, everyone remarks how freakish and wrong it is, he clearly doesn't really consider himself female and acts like a bimbo and like it's a big joke he's playing on men, and Leela and Amy tell him off for making their gender look stupid. I guess now I know what TERF comedy is like.

normal-ass vampire
Feb 14, 2011

Captain Monkey posted:

Method acting claims another victim.

This just reminded me that Marilyn Manson played a Nazi rapist on Sons of Anarchy. Not that the show raged well in general, but ooof.

normal-ass vampire
Feb 14, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

I can't remember what show was mocking Trump but they played a bit where he was on Howard Stern and he and Stern are talking about how J Lo's butt is too big and Trump even said she has a "bad body" and it was wild considering how we're all Sir Mix A Lot now.

Yeah, up til J. Lo became a really big deal, there was this unspoken rule that if you were a woman, and any part of your body (besides the boobs ofc) was curvy or had any fat on it, you were a big gross tub of lard. Its bizarre looking back at how in the early-mid 90s pancake asses and non-existent hips were considered a goal.

normal-ass vampire
Feb 14, 2011
Yeah. Looking at pics of myself as a teen, I was like a normal looking size ~6 girl but was convinced I was lumpy and disgusting and it really messed with me.

Makes me grateful people are now much more aware of things like photo editing as well.

normal-ass vampire
Feb 14, 2011
gently caress you all for reminding me Tripping the Rift existed. My sense of humor is extremely bad and dumb, and was even more so back then. I can count the number of comedies that didn't make me laugh even once on one hand, and Tripping the rift gets a special honor as the middle finger because I couldn't even make it ten minutes in.

normal-ass vampire
Feb 14, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

so my question is, did the media complain a lot every time one of these types of shows did something like that?

The main differences I remember between then and now are:

1. A lot of people, especially more mainstream media figures, seemed to think "political correctness" just meant being overly polite and euphemistic. I remember some dumb book mocking PC stuff referred to itself as a "processed tree carcass", and there were a lot of lovely jokes playing off the yhen-current term "mentally challenged". A lot of the time it seemed more about the language than the sentiment behind it.

2. It might just have been the kind of culture I grew up around, but the "think of the children" aspect was more leftover Satanic Panic than anything. People were still paranoid about the Devil in a big way, e.g. Gargoyles wasn't a bad influence because it was a metaphor for status quo prejudice, it was a bad influence because the main characters were literal monsters and not of God, an idea which these people literally believed in to whatever extent. They weren't mad the Planeteers were diverse environmentalists, they were mad they had magic powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

normal-ass vampire
Feb 14, 2011

I love that this has been flagged as age restricted.