Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Friends greatest crime is being intensely, painfully unfunny. I like Kudrow and Aniston a lot in other things but Friends is a void from which no laughter escapes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mister Kingdom posted:

Maybe, but I don't want to slog through 22 minutes every week just to see that.
There's a reason that most sitcoms don't use that formula. It's just not for everyone.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

Everybody Loves Raymond is the dad-com. I remember in the 00's it was the heavy rotation syndicated sitcom, and my dad has never made time to watch reruns of a TV show before Raymond started that circuit.
I thought that was King of Queens

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Matt Lauer shows up a couple times in 30 Rock and is, accidentally hilariously, in the first episode of Kimmy Schmidt.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

Right before Everyone Loves Raymond hit ratings critical mass, Quentin Tarantino stopped Romano on an airplane to tell him how much he loved the show.

Since Debra’s feet were never shown that would be high praise for the characters and writing.
A true critic can appreciate the feet they don't show as much as the feet they do.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

really the straight up sitcom probably hasn’t exist since the 50s and maybe not even then.
What does this mean?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I almost watched the one that was just Stewie talking at his psychiatrist for an entire episode time but when I realised what the gimmick was I immediately stopped.

Which is funny because I loved the Bojack Horseman episode that did that.
I love My Dinner With Andre but I don't want to just watch every meal Wallace Shawn ever had.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

People always go for the "sexy" small businesses which are in oversaturated markets. I wonder what the statistics are for people who did research, and actually came up with a business plan are. See: that Parks & Rec clip where Ben tells Tom about his extremely boring but guaranteed-to-be-successful dry cleanong detergent wholesaler and Tom skipping out for an upscale Italian bistro in a tiny working class rural Indiana town. Except Parks and Rec gave him the one inestor in the world who just loves giving money to weirdos with no industry experience who want to open restaurants.
But he ends up failing anyway.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

As a result of trying to expand too quickly after 4 years of his restaurant doing wonderfully amd becoming a regional chain. Instead of failing almost immediately because there's exactly two families in this town who are actually wealthy, why would you target the upper class?
It's probably just corruption and nepotism like the rest of the characters' actions. I still can't tell if the writers were doing it on purpose.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

People who watch sitcoms want to see characters they've already met and care about do well and succeed and especially if its because of the friends they've made along the way. Its just good writing. It is if course the exact opposite of good governance.
Yeah, the funny bit is I like P&R. I even like Brooklyn 99, which is a show about one of the most violent and corrupt organizations in the world. I'm also a big Tina Fey fan. I enjoy stories about privileged people trying to be decent human beings, because people who make TV shows don't get it right when they try to make shows about people without privilege (because they have a lot of it).

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Scratch Monkey posted:

what the gently caress is wrong with you?!?!
That seems like pretty standard nerd to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Pick posted:

I love venture brothers, and hilariously the pirate captain is probably the most competent person on the show.
When the poor bastard's not hooked on tranqs.