Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

A generic complaint but as someone who enjoys mysteries and police procedurals its really annoying when the solution to the mystery relies on knowing the intricacies of a piece of technology which became obsolete 3 years after the 40 year episode aired.
Columbo was really bad about this. My favorite episode is the magician one thanks to the murderer being played by 3-time guest star Jack Cassidy who earned that spot by having amazing chemistry with Falk, the disposable sidekick completely falling for Cassidy's alibi making a great contrast with Columbo and Cassidy's motive of hiding his past as a Nazi war criminal being arguably the strongest and most interesting in the series.
Then the solution ends up relying on [spoiler]knowing the difference between typewriters with balls and ones with ribbons and it sucks having it rely on something nobody under the age of 40 would pick up on because the writers at the time assumed it common knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

If you are from anywhere in America which isn't San Francisco, L.A., Chicago, Boston, or New York proper you get reeaaallllyyy excited when the national media remembers you exist, even if its derogatory.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Aesop Poprock posted:

Philadelphia as well, although it's usually portrayed as terribly as possible which of course is the only way Philadelphians would accept it. Probably one of the few cities whose self pride is entirely predicated on how terrible everyone else views it as

I once knew a man from Owensboro, KY who bragged about the fact that the city was mention once on the Lucy Show the lesser-known sequel to I Love Lucy. It is mentioned in one line, as the hometown of a one-episode guest character from a TV show that's 50 years old. Like people from Seattle being proud of Frasier but inmesurably sadder. It was one of the purest distillations of Middle America I'd ever seen.

BIG FLUFFY DOG has a new favorite as of 22:39 on Aug 19, 2017

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

It also starts so well when you think he knows she's trans but doesn't care. At the end he misses her so I think their heart was in the right place but jesus they hosed the dog.

He's such a pig-headed misogynist but also so obsessed with sex and hedonism that when he says he's okay with it, it's really surprising and funny but also makes perfect sense that he would go so far into "women are sexual objects" and "everything's okay if it gets you off" that he would loop back around to being open-minded and progressive. People who reach the right conclusion for the wrong reasons is always a great source for comedy and him not caring that his girlfriend's trans not because he's not a bigot but simply because the sex is good is an amazing twist. And then they ruin it by taking the easy way out.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

CannonFodder posted:

That 70's Show was fairly progressive for the simple fact that they acknowledged that teenagers in the 70s were smoking weed.

Like a lot of shows, the later seasons just weren't as good because the previously unknown actors became stars and were working on other projects and it ended on a wet fart.

I've heard a lot of explanations for why shows almost universally become terrible the longer they go on. Another one I've heard is that, in later seasons writers begin to imitate the style of the writers of early seasons to try to be tonally consistent but it ends up being bad because they're writing with a voice that's not their own. Also, I remember someone saying that Season 9 is the absolute lifespan of a TV show. Like, some shows become bad before Season 9 but its almost impossible for shows to be good past it. They were talking about Seinfeld which ended right at Season 9 when they said it.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

The crazy thing to remember about Eddie Murphy and SNL is that he was 19 years old when he got on that show.

Also that he got it by harassing a producer for a job daily until he agreed to audition him as an extra to shut him up and then tested well enough to immediately upgrade to the main cast.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Tumble posted:

Brooklyn 99 basically ruined all other gay characters on past TV sitcoms.

Captain Holt is the best TV gay man - he is extremely competent at his job, he likes and respects the people he works with, and the people he works with like and respect him. They all acknowledge he's gay, they're all willing to talk about his sexuality with him, and they don't really care because its 2017 and that's fairly realistic for them all living in NYC (and lots of other places too, don't get me wrong here).

And Holt is gay - he's not even straightwashing the character by making him gay in name only, he and his partner go on long road trips to buy pies for thanksgiving, they have dogs together, they go to brunch. They're a gay couple but they're funny because they do and say funny things, not specifically because they're gay.

Holt's favorite breakfast is plain toast, considers omelets a "vacation food", and was horrified that Amy and Jake were forced to endure "Jazz Brunch". I may have missed an episode but I am very certain that he does not love brunch.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

I was always in the minority in that I never found South Park all that funny past a few episodes (Lord of the Rings, WoW, Nintendo) and never got the fuss about it but, man, that poo poo took off like wild fire. It was almost Simpsons levels for a while but the writing was never clever and certainly not subtle, which is how I prefer my humor.

For a while, I chalked it all up to personal taste and presumed that I was the one out of the loop on what's funny - which I guess I was and still am, really.

There's Something About Mary and Baseketball have held up terribly, while Office Space, KotH, Idiocracy and Beavis & Butthead seem to hold pretty solid ground. Seems to me that Mike Judge has always had the eye for social satire that Matt and Trey always wished they had, where they substituted edgy poo poo designed to offend in place of real satire.

Further, on the subject of animation, I hate Family Guy, American Dad and Bob's Burgers and never got why they're funny.

Have you seen the latest episodes or just the ones from the premiere? Season one of Bob's Burgers is very much "edgy" South Park style humor but starting in Season 3 the humor became much more character driven and they started fleshing out the background characters. They also switched to the more expensive cel-based animation from the pirated version of Flash they were using before. Seasons 1-2 and Seasons 3+ of Bob's Burgers may as well be different shows. Seasons 1 & 2 are probably good candidates for this thread.

BIG FLUFFY DOG has a new favorite as of 16:04 on Jan 8, 2018

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Season 1 of Bob's Burgers: In this episode Bob becomes the pimp of several transgendered sex workers. Do you get it? They're trans prostitutes. See? They're whores AND they're trans. AND BOB'S THEIR PIMP lol.

Season 8 of Bob's Burgers: Our Christmas special is about making sure Christmas celebrations are inclusive of the LGBT community. When will the police stop harassing the gay community?

BIG FLUFFY DOG has a new favorite as of 16:28 on Jan 8, 2018

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

BFD seems to have massively misunderstood the show.

I attempted to make a joke about how much the shows attitudes has flipped and those 2 episodes were the most direct points of comparison because they had the same subject matter. I guess it misfired, sorry. That episode actually is one of the better S1 episodes especially compared to Louise making absolutely sure Hugo understands the great piece of pedophile wordplay her dad cooked up in the pilot.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Yeah, I thought his wife was just a trick to lure the murderers into a sense of security. Columbo is mostly unassuming and it's hard to take someone talking about their family members that seriously when they're investigating you. It buys into the whole mentality of Columbo playing at being a dimwit when he's really just annoying them into giving him more and more information. You rarely ever see him get pissed except for the pilot episode and that one with Leonard Nimoy as a surgeon.

Supposedly Peter Falk himself didn't believe that Columbo's wife even existed until the Cruise Ship episode confirmed she was real. I think you're right though that every fact about her beyond her existence that he tells is a lie. There's no way she is a fan of or interested in the work of every single person her husband investigates for murder.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

food court bailiff posted:

Uh that pedophile wordplay was done by Louise herself, do you hate the show because you're too stupid to follow the plot? Like, Jesus, what kind of brain injury makes someone so angry about a cartoon they've clearly never even paid attention to?

I don't hate Bob's Burgers, I like it a lot. I just don't think Season 1 was good. I think Season 2 was okay with a handful of good episodes mixed in. And I think Season 3 and on are excellent. That's it. You're right I don't know the plot to Season 1 episodes very well because I don't like most season 1 episodes and have only seen them once a long time ago.

My opinions are:
Bob's Burgers is a good show
Season 1 is not good
This is because it relied more heavily on a style of humor I do not enjoy than in later seasons

That's it.

I have no idea how this became a derail and I apologize.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

ZakAce posted:

Bobby Driscoll was also the voice of Peter Pan. Speaking of, the What Makes The Red Man Man song is way more racist than Song of the South is, yet that's freely available. I guess anti-Native American racism is more OK?

Native Americans are only like 1% of the population and are fairly poor. Capitalism only cares about the ethnic groups with money.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Volcott posted:

Do in-universe racial slurs count against them re: ratings?

Woah woah woah! Knife-ear?! Listen, buddy if elfs existed this would be incredibly offensive. I'm sorry but I gotta give you an R.

BIG FLUFFY DOG has a new favorite as of 18:43 on Jan 25, 2018

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Hi it's me, the conservative strawman of what Breitbart thinks the modern left is like, and I'm here to make sure that the tragedies of the Dwarven people are treated with compassion and respect.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Calaveron posted:

Frasier did make a big deal of it that they decided the reason they could never show Maris was because no human could possibly play her, based on physical attributes and actions the characters attributed to her

It's "the noodle incident" she had already developed such a profile in people's minds that nothing the writers could come up with could possibly compare to our imagination of her.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Some people get really, really mad if you try to say Sheldon is autistic.

Isn't he one of those sitcom characters the show dances around saying explicitly he's autistic because they don't want the audience to feel like they're laughing at someone's disability while still wanting to make jokes about the disability? Abed from Community had the same thing but he was actually funny.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

Another thing unusual is that's she's blonde but dyes her hair black. Who does that, especially in Hollywood?

If the show's set somewhere that isn't California. There was a 99% invisible episode about casting by looks that featured a Casting Director wigging out in Manhattan for a sec because there were more blondes on the street than brunettes and apparently people think blondes in New York is unrealistic.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

evobatman posted:

A while back, my media player clocked a few episodes of the Big Bang Theory in at 19:20 with theme song, characters standing around while the audience laughs, commercial stingers and credits to the Chuck Lorre text at the end.

It's a lovely show, and the episodes are too short.

The Chuck Lorre text at the end is the only redeeming part of any of his shows. They aren't even that great in reality but just the idea that his stinger is a page-long manifesto detailing his thoughts life, love, economics, the nature of reality that's been going on for 20+ years is loving hilarious to me.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Rirse posted:

Should done my strategy when I picked to read Dune, only to not want to actually read Dune, so I somehow made a essay using the text on the back and the appendix. Think I got a B or C from it.

If you picked to read it I'm fairly sure your teacher also did not want to read Dune.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

But Dune is good.

Sir my only comment was on whether or not a public school teacher had the time or energy to read a 412 page novel to double-check one kid's grade.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

This is scene is parodying the common American experience of being harassed by an overly-aggressive panhandler or solicitor. However in this case rather than asking for money or offering an overpriced product or service no-one is interested in, they are offering an opportunity most people would jump at and would be seen as a huge break in the incredibly unlikely event that it occurred even within the prosperous economic environment of the 90s. This tension between the familiar and the unfamiliar leads to a physiological response where the diaphragm repeatedly contracts in an audible manner that the person finds pleasurable commonly known as "laughter"; the result of a cultural practice known as a "joke".

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

JediTalentAgent posted:

A strange thing about Columbo: It had increasingly unrelated (literally) spin off.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mrs._Columbo

"Mrs. Columbo, later known as Kate Columbo, followed by Kate the Detective and then ultimately Kate Loves a Mystery is an American crime drama television series initially based on the wife of Lieutenant Columbo"

This thread brings up Columbo, like every 30 pages; inevitably followed by someone mentioning the existence of Mrs. Columbo and I'm not sure what I have to do to get the 1st part without the 2nd.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

A strange thing about Doki Doki Panic, it had an increasingly unrelated spinoff called Mrs. Doki Doki Panic.

Did you know in America it's called Mrs. Super Mario Bros 2?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Choco1980 posted:

Super Princess Peach is a real game.

Super Princess Peach was a video game based on the idea of women's periods makes them super over-emotional and then developing that into Peach getting super-powers from it. Thinking it was a collective fever dream is incredibly understandable.

BIG FLUFFY DOG has a new favorite as of 19:28 on Feb 23, 2018

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

Peach's game was Mario 2 where she was the objectively best character.

Speaking of Mario 2, did you know in Japan its called Doki Doki Panic? And that there was an increasingly unrelated spin-off of Columbo where his wife solved mysteries?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Samuringa posted:

I get why there's no 4 or a 13, but what about the 14? They also wanted to make sure it wasn't an antisemitic elevator?

Many Asian buildings will omit any floor number which even contains four because of its association with death, just as many Western buildings omit the 13th floor because of bad luck or dad-focused buildings skip the 9th floor because 7 8 9.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

There are some really outdated parts in Classic Simpsons. Like in A Fish Called Selma, Troy McClure has his career killed for sleeping with a fish instead of winning an Oscar for it.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Whew. Can't believe comedy has a tendency to rely upon broad archetypes that the audience would recognize and relate to from their personal life and other media. Who do these hacks think they are?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

SEX BURRITO posted:

Has Smithers even been shown as being in love with anyone except Mr Burns? They slowly turned him from being rather asexual, yet being in love with Burns, to an openly gay man, but he doesn't seem to ever date or hook up with anyone.

True love waits.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

lamey_whinehouse posted:

So this isn't really an old episode I'm watching, but I'm currently watching a season 16 L&O:SVU episode (which, i should know better, but it's trashy Sunday afternoon background noise while i clean the house).

This episode deals with a girl who was gang raped at a frat party (why do people still send their kids to Hudson University?), but the main focus seems to be making fun of the professor criticizing "rape culture". Why are ya'll lampooning the character for speaking on topics your show's protagonists are ostensibly against? It just really rubs me the wrong way.

If people don't rape anymore the SVU investigators will no longer have jobs.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Inescapable Duck posted:

Sad thing is that's pretty much 99% of the representation Native Americans got or seem to ever get. When the stereotypes became distasteful it seems like they disappeared from media. About the only non-stereotypical Native American I can think of on a mainstream show is John Redcorn, and even he still parodies elements of the stereotype.

Also surprised that a lot of Americans seem genuinely under the impression that native Americans are extinct.

Most of the minorities in America live primarily in the cities, and especially big cities like New York and LA, this is also where the media is centered. Native Americans unlike almost every other minority in this country live mainly in the rural areas of the country. And not the cool rural areas too, like the Napa Valley or the Berkshires. Like, South Dakota and Eastern Washington State, the places that the media executives would not be caught dead in. So the only exposure the people in charge of the media have to Native culture is through media and the only natives in media are from back when the Western was the most popular genre in America and having native characters in those movies was unavoidable.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

The irony is people in the cities romanticize Native Americans where as people who deal with them every day can't stand them.

I wouldn't call that irony. Irony is something unexpected. An amusing surprise. White people from South Dakota are racist is not a surprise.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

Hey Dude had Danny Lightfoot and an entire episode dedicated to him dunking on the city kid about how lovely all American's lives would be without the things the Native Americans had taught them or invented.

Wow they managed to get him to talk about something other than the Edmund Fitzgerald for once.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

AvesPKS posted:

I didn't make it past season 3. I was pretty excited for the show; I remember seeing a billboard for it in spring of 2001. The monster of the week stuff started off fine. But then just go to Wikipedia and read the episode descriptions. Like you say, every other episode has a vampire, or a native American werewolf, or somebody being possessed, or Clark infecting himself with red kryptonite, or killer bees. And Lex would discover Clark's secret, but then turn out to be a clone double or something. I've watched soap operas with 'imaginary' characters that made more sense.

All fictional characters are 'imaginary' Aves.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

AvesPKS posted:

Sorry, maybe I should have said hallucinations? I meant imaginary more like having an imaginary friend, although with adults I guess it crosses over more into hallucinations.

No, I got you. I was just bubblin' your soda, bud.

Billy Gnosis posted:

Was the tenth asked Charles Guiteau?

This joke is an amazingly deep cut on the biography of a person whose already a deep cut. I applaud it.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Why do transformers always turn into cars people know about? Why is it never weird alien vehicles?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Boy howdy every other joke in Scrubs seems to be about people being gay huh.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Zedd posted:

Scrubs is still a good show, but some of the humor is not ageing well due to the times moving forward. At least it was never actively homophobic insofar I know.
And yes JD is the worst, he always was but he gets worse every rewatch.

All of the jokes are small enough that they could be easily overlooked if they were every now and then. There's just so drat many of them that its a death by a thousand cuts type thing.

BIG FLUFFY DOG has a new favorite as of 11:26 on Apr 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Mooseontheloose posted:

Cox even says it in the first season, no one should be like him because HE can barely stand himself.

JD was fine up until around Season 4 where they dropped the intelligence, seriousness, and humaness of the character and just made it lol JD so girly and dumb. When Season 8 came around they finally got him back on track (mostly). Oddly, the weirder think that didn't age well with JD is that all of a sudden he becomes awkwardly racist in the later seasons.

Welcome to the mid-00s where the success of the Office and South Park make everyone think this is a form of comedy needed in. Every. Single. Show.