Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What was stopping them? Why couldn't they just accept this fan theory as a better idea than what they had, and run with it?

I figure the entire appeal of like long-term mystery narratives (I think they're called puzzleboxes?) is that the "mystery" has to be revealed at the end of the story, otherwise you're just setting up to a conclusion that is predictable - at least for some people - the endgoal is to surprise everyone.

That's probably why you get so many stories swerving into unsatisfying or just plain bizarre conclusions - because if someone's already worked out what's going on then it looks like you're just pulling ideas from them. I think that's what happened with Lost, actually.

Honestly I think that entire genre has aged poorly, due to the internet any story with a big enough following is gonna have people coming up with correct fan theories sooner rather than later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

I think I'm just gonna watch Measure of a Man and Deja-Q to get the best eps of season 2, then skip to 3. Will I miss any other good episodes doing that?

Q-Who Intruduces a major villain into the series and some of the incidental dialogue in S3 doesn't make sense without it. Unless you have it and Deja confused (Deja is S3). Also The Emissary introduces a minor character who's important for one of the regular's story arcs. Honestly most of S2 is pretty watchable though except the clipshow finale

There's a decent guide here to what's worth skipping or watching, though I personally don't 100% agree with it.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Sunswipe posted:

Speaking of recasting, apparently they killed off Martin Riggs in the Lethal Weapon series because the actor was a dickhead (my dad watches the show, so I don't know much about it). What I don't get is why they didn't just recast the role, especially given the title "Lethal Weapon" refers to Riggs. Kinda like how the new Star Trek movies seem to be on hold because of some problem with the guy playing Kirk. Just recast the role. You've already proved it can be done, what's the problem?

Contracts, most likely, that and the fact that it's more that most of the cast are getting too expensive to hire, than any behind the scenes drama - especially if they were going to do the initial concept of a time travel story involving Kirk's dad, which'd mean paying Chris Hemsworth.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

BEHOLD, MY STUFF! was great, especially with the way he walked into frame like he was showing off the prizes in a game show.

But overall his plotline wasn't the best.

It sucks cause the comics that they were attempting to adapt skurge's bits from ruled.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Kanine posted:

isnt aliens meant to be a metaphor about vietnam

Yeah, or at least the marines are clearly based on US forces in vietnam. Someone as well once described aliens to me as "what if the US fought vietnam in the eighties, and still lost".

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

bitterandtwisted posted:

Before the modern movies, superheroes normies had heard of were the ones with campy live action TV shows and it's amazing to me it took so long for a Wonder Woman movie to be made. Some executive decided loving Green Lantern was a more bankable character.

Green Lantern was more or less an attempt by DC to do Iron Man, without really getting why it worked in the first place.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

iirc it's an act and the insults are scripted or pre-prepared (I think there are even bloopers out there?). There were also breaks between rounds where she'd chat with the contestants more cordially.
It still hasn't aged well but they aren't at least "real" insults.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

I mean a lot of it was just swallowed up and became part of culture in general. How many Calls of Duty are we on now, for instance?

It's interesting to look at call of duty and how its general tone changed when it moved from a series about ww2 into a more contemporary setting and iirc that's because most of the people they would interview for research on the latter were still employed by the military, so they were less likely to offer a more nuanced account of their experiences.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

As well, don't a lot of medieval swords have just gibberish letters on them cause of a bunch of earlier ones having shorthand/acronymised latin phrases on them?

edit: possibly not gibberish, still kinda silly

quote:

Many European sword blades of the high medieval period have blade inscriptions. Inscribed blades were particularly popular during the 12th century. Many of these inscriptions are garbled strings of letters, often apparently inspired by religious formulae, especially the phrase in nomine domini and the word benedictus or benedicat.

The 12th-century fashion for blade inscriptions is based on the earlier, 9th to 11th century, tradition of the so-called Ulfberht swords. A single stray find from Eastern Germany, dated to the late 11th or possibly early 12th century, combines both an Ulfberht and an in nomine domini (in this case, +IINIOMINEDMN) inscription.[11]

Many blade inscriptions of the later 12th and 13th century are even more garbled, bearing no resemblance to the in nomine domini phrase, sometimes resembling random strings of letters, such as ERTISSDXCNERTISSDX,[12] +NDXOXCHWDRGHDXORVI+,[13]+IHININIhVILPIDHINIhVILPN+ (Pernik sword).[14

Disproportionation has a new favorite as of 10:18 on Dec 5, 2021

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

It's worth mentioning that with the x-men books, particularly as time has gone on, writers have tried to stress that the vast majority of mutants do not have dangerous super powers. If you're a mutant, you're much more likely to have webbed fingers or transparent skin or something like that than laser eyes or super strength.

As well, mutants aren't always portrayed as an allegory for a minority group, the movies usually do, but in the comics it'll vary from writer to writer (very early on as well the x-men were just another superhero team) and some writers go in slightly different directions by making mutants more an allegory for youth. iirc the whole original reason for mutants just being born with powers was purely so they didn't need to write any kind of origin for them.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

bobjr posted:

They also have Spider-Man repair surveillance towers to monitor people for the cops, while J. Jonah Jameson talks about how this is terrible and invades our privacy, but he's an Alex Jones stand in treated as the bad guy.

My favourite thing in Spider-man ps4 is that he has a police captain buddy that he does missions for and has jokes with and in the dlc she's revealed to be a serial killer

That's not really on topic for the thread or anything I just thought it was kinda hilarious in hindsight of the base game.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

I think SNW is fine but at the same time I figure reaction was a little inflated purely because in comparison to disco/picard it's a breath of fresh air.
On a rewatch it's just a standard first series where it's largely just okay, sometimes decent, and sometimes absolutely miserable (every gorn episode - taking the original story and changing it to "they're all irredeemably evil actually" is weird and gross).

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Randalor posted:

I'm sorry, what?

Well as a couple of recent examples, (spoilers for parts of the recent runs of x-men comics - x-force and wolverine mostly): beast ran a clandestine space prison that he used to test biological weapons on the inmates and then later made a bunch of essentially brain-dead wolverine clones to perform assassinations with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Cowslips Warren posted:

maybe it's the past 20 years of Internet poo poo, but I am sure furries were a thing in the early 2000's if not late 90's. So all these shows from Gargoyles to Xmen missed it where some people would be lining up for days to date Beast or Nightcrawler or anyone who didn't look human.

"Oh no I have been turned into a hot cat person by an evil scientist and want to become human again! Or.....I can stay like this?"

I am waiting for a Beauty and the Beast where the beast is some kind of insect/vulture mix instead of a mammal hybrid. There might still be people thinking it looks cool but not many will line up to gently caress a cockroach with a Skesis face.

Furries have been a thing since the 1970s, possibly earlier.

And I think that did actually happen to Beast at least once while he was an avenger in the 80s, possibly even a running gag.