Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
South Park's biggest downfall is that Matt and Trey are absolutely loving terrified of being considered old and no longer these hot edgy dudes so they've basically doubled downed on the shittiest kind of "HEH, YOU'RE OFFENDED BY ME CALLING YOU A FAG?! WOW, BETTER GET IN YOUR SAFE SPACE YOU loving QUEER HEH"

Cartman went from basically being an evil shithead who you were supposed to hate to the dude tearing those dumb ol liberals down!

When the show focuses on either: A. Universally absurd ideas and concepts (reality TV, NAMBLA, bad movies) B. character lore and ideas it can be super funny. It turns to poo poo when it becomes Matt and Trey's Libertarian/Alt Right Picture Show.

Honestly this was ALWAYS a problem. I've been going through older episodes and two in particular stand out as really bad

Sexual Harrasment Panda's message is basically "Yeah sexual harassment is bad...but did you ever think that by suing the company you may be even worse?"

Cartman's Silly Hate Crime 2000 is basically the lamest college freshmen bullshit of "Man wh...when you really think about it.....aren't all crimes hate crimes?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Translation: We're both tremendous babies and we're scared to lose our alt-right fanbase by bashing Trump.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
They've portrayed easy targets before. This is the biggest pile of bullshit they're pulling so they can hide behind it. I'd believe them more if the last two seasons weren't "Heh SJW liberal pussies....right guys?" They don't wanna lose that sweet sweet sweet hate money.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
My favorite moments in any SVU is when Stabler's at a crime scene and some random cop will say something like "The stiff's over here!" and suddenly Stabler has to go on a loving 10 minute rant about how jokes like that are just as bad as murder and the cop is a piece of poo poo and nearly hits him.

Meanwhile ever single biography/documentary about police officers makes it clear that they have to have a sense of gallows humor to get through the horrific poo poo they see on a day to day basis.

I will honestly give SVU some credit when it comes to IA guys. They pull the "INTERNAL AFFAIRS ARE EVIL ASSHOLES!" thing a lot in season 1, but they manage to slowly say "yeah cops tend to look down on em, but they aren't demons' and the IA guy actually gets portrayed pretty reasonably.

I loving devour all forms of Law and Order and the episode the one poster described that had them set up the interrogation room is one of the absolute best episodes. I'm pretty sure all that stuff is standard procedure for intense interrogations and like 85% of that particular episode is taken up by just Stabler and the dude talking.

OldTennisCourt has a new favorite as of 14:35 on Aug 3, 2017

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Gaunab posted:

I don't know what SVU you were watching but they(Stabler included) usually make some sort of quip before the opening credits.

That's more CSI. With SVU it's usually some line about how awful the crime is or whatever. Lenny on vanilla Law and Order would make a joke, but SVU usually dealt with rape/child molestation so you'd rarely get a funny quip.

Plus I know for a fact Stabler and Benson have jumped on cops for making jokes and whatever at crime scenes a lot of the time.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

JediTalentAgent posted:

The first season or so of SVU I seem to recall there being a bit more humor to it from just maybe an episode or so featuring a 'goofy' SVU-related crime as an afterthought like, "Oh, a report of a guy streaking through Central Park. He's probably just college frat prank or off his meds..." Then even in the last handful of years you get the dumb poo poo like them commandeering a department store intercom to find an employee who uses the online handle "Master Baiter" like it's a cop comedy from the 90s.

The very first episode introduced Stabler during a court case basically calling a flasher's dick small causing the dude to whip it out during the trial.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Wacky Deli is legit a shockingly accurate forecast of early adult swim.

It's also in the top 5 best episodes of a cartoon in the 90's.

Rocko and Hey Arnold are hands down the best Nicktoons of that era, they're really only behind the two Avatar series as of now.

It's awesome that both those shows are getting continuations too and it looks like both are gonna be great. Rocko's humor is pitch perfect and I'm so glad it's a fish out of water story that doesn't go the "WOWZERS, MILLENIALS SURE ARE HUMAN GARBAGE HUH?" route. Hey Arnold just has to finish a pre made arc and that'd be perfect.

I'll say that Invader Zim has not aged well. It's fanbase utterly demolished the show and it's really hard to go back to it without realizing 'Oh yeah, this started that loving "LOL RANDOM" humor trend'

OldTennisCourt has a new favorite as of 21:16 on Aug 4, 2017

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
For me the stories regarding Zim's creation and cancellation are way more interesting than the show. How the gently caress did it get made? Was it really meant to be part of some Adult Swim knockoff Nick was developing?

What about the idea that Nick wanted to make a show out of the dude's other hyper weird comic?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Probably the most insane story to do with Rugrats was when someone managed to get hold of some of those incredibly hosed up and weird storyboards that the guys working on the show made.

The story goes that guys working on shows like that would tend to mess around and make fake storyboards of poo poo like the characters killing each other, swearing or doing other absurd stuff and pass it around and each person added to it. It was just a fun little game. The problem came when some dude took it way too far (I'm probably mixing poo poo up so if someone knows what I mean please correct me) and just kept adding really really hosed up stuff.

The only board that made it online as I recall has Tommy try to give Angelica some drink he poisoned, then his dad came in and made some really gross remarks to her and kicked Tommy or something.

The dude just kept making it grosser and grosser to the point where a higher up on the show found it and nearly fired a ton of people over it.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

The Moon Monster posted:

IIRC it was something like Stu making Tommy drink bleach and then telling Angelica to "Ride Daddy's thunder balls".

That sounds accurate. I remember someone found a blog post by the guy who kept adding the grossest stuff and he looked like stereotypical dork and he was weirdly proud of the incident.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
^ Doug has actually not aged that badly. It's actually pretty funny now because it's 90's as all hell and in a good way.

Hahahaha "I was DISGUSTED with this filth so I drew 12 pages of a cartoon characters dick and balls. It was all fine until some snooty loser confiscated our incest storyboard!"

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

quidditch it and quit it posted:

I know this is a few posts back, but really? I've been judging him quite harshly for his recent dickery, but that's enough to wreck anyone's mind.

Not enough to cause you to sue a dude who made a drug joke about you, laugh when he dies, and then sue his widow anyway.

James Woods is human garbage.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

get that OUT of my face posted:

I'd say Hey Arnold and Rocko were the best Nicktoons, but they had completely different tones. Hey Arnold's sincere, non-judgmental vibe is very commonplace on shows today but was a breath of fresh air in the cynical '90s. On the other hand, Rocko's deep cynicism about society will feel like something we didn't think we needed once the movie comes out.

I think a very strong argument could be made that the episode of Hey Arnold where Helga sees a therapist is one of the best episodes of a children's cartoon not just of the 90's, but of all time.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

bobjr posted:

I was wondering who the kid was, since Hey Arnold had a big memorable cast, but it's kinda funny that episode turned out so bad he was just dropped.

He actually shows up in a cameo in the new trailer which might be the first time he's been seen since that episode.

It really can't be overstated how weirdly that episode clashes with pretty much the entire ethos of the show. You have a show where the main focus is on solving issues, being a good person and overcoming issues with kindness and understanding and then you have an episode where the lead is just absolutely poo poo on in the most ruthless of ways, plus you have THE ENTIRE CAST mock him.

It's so out of whack with everything that came before it and after it. It almost feels like someone got the script from the wrong show.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD THOMAS

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
EEE also has a really weirdly satisfying conclusion. Considering it was a dumb absurdist comedy series the movie that ended it actually finished on a shockingly :unsmith: note.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I can't loving stand those stupid "HEY YOU KNOW THIS CARTOON? LEMMEE TELL YOU HOW IT'S REALLY ABOUT DEAD KIDS/KID IN A COMA/DEMONS/HELL." It's the laziest poo poo in the world.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

mind the walrus posted:

Yes we know. There is always someone who posts this every time it comes up. EEE is the one show where I think that interpretation enhances things instead of being an adolescent attempt to add gravitas to an animated marketing enterprise.

Nah it's just as monumentally lame as every other 'poo poo man this kids show is so loving dark maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan' intepretation.

Yeah dude, the characters are all dead kids from various decades because they wear clothes that, if you sorta kinda squint and turn your head and bullshit a bit, look like clothes from that decade. Why can't it just be an artistic choice and not ~dead kids in a spoooooooooooky purgatory woooooooooo~

Did you ever see the lost episode where the Kanker Sisters reveal they're all demons and then kill the kids in bloody ways while backwards chanting plays?

The only time that the whole~creepy lost children's show~ worked was Candle Cove/Channel Zero and that's because it was actually subtle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

mind the walrus posted:

None of those outfits in the fanart are what the characters wear dude. Also y'know, analysis and reinterpretation can be fun. I hear humans have been doing it for a while to make new art.

Candle Cove's puppets featured a main character called "The Skin-Taker" who wears clothes of human skin.

And the show devolves into diet Stephen King--almost instantly after the first episode.

Subtlety:

Ah yes truly not as artful as " ed edd and eddy are in hell " or the classic " ash from Pokemon is autistic and pikachu isn't real"