Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Don Gato posted:

Also the prostitute got called a whore on the reg by the supposedly heroic main character.

Don't forget the episode where they go to a brothel and Inara says that they're not like her because "they're actual whores". Then she spends the entire episode making snide comments about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Casey Finnigan posted:

Well, if it makes you feel better, they continued to keep doing an incredibly poor job with Black Widow all the way through to the end of the Avengers film series. Especially since Black Widow is, like another poster mentioned, really just straight-up Solid Snake and deserved a much larger role in the movies.

Seriously, (Endgame spoilers) why the gently caress did Hawkeye, a guy who ended up becoming a crazy murderer after the snap, survive? And then the fact that the rest of the Avengers seemed to chuck her down the memory hole instantly. It was heinously bad and not something I'll be able to forget. It's just really obvious that the exact same character, but male, would be treated very differently by the writers.

That said, I don't read comics and have no understanding of the characters outside the movies so they could all be replaced with completely new and different characters and I wouldn't be able to tell.

e: Oh yeah and Disney/Marvel's queerbaiting "Check it out we have a real gay character!! His name is Gay Man #1!!" poo poo will definitely age poorly.

You're forgetting the cringey faux-feminist bit in the final battle where all of the female superheroes come together for a few seconds and go "We got this!" Because god, that was bad. They did the same thing in the final fight in the previous movie, and it was just as patronizing then.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Dumb and Dumber didn't age well because the Bluray edits in a bunch of scenes that were rightfully cut in the first place.

More on topic, the theatrical ending of Little Shop of Horrors kind of undermines the movie.

I always thought the Frank Oz ending made more sense because the voiceover at the beginning of the play talks about how mankind was saved from almost certain destruction at the hands of the plants. And then it ends with Audrey II eating everyone.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
How was Queer as Folk? I never watched it, but I had a few friends (straight gals) that were super into it.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

FilthyImp posted:

Right!
I thought he got chomped on by compy's and then I read The Lost World and he's just like back to being an a-hole.

Hammond gets slowly eaten alive by compys, Malcolm dies of an infection right before they escape.

Wu never dies in the movie, and they actually brought him back for Jurassic World, which expanded on one of the more interesting ideas in the original book: Since the dinos are a genetic construction of what we think they were like, why not go farther and create ones that are new and different?

I was a complete Crichton nerd in middle school.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
The best product placement by far was the running Scion joke in Frisky Dingo. "Doomed to enjoy a new Scion TC!"

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
I was legitimately surprised when they quit their truth-is-in-the-middle bit for the NAMBLA episode. That's the only time I can remember that they dropped that whole shtick. Comparing trans people to dolphins was ok, playing rape in Hollywood for laughs was ok, having gay and black mouthpieces agree that discrimination is healthy and good was ok, but raping children was a step too far even for them.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
My favorite description is "dumbass who thinks he’s a smartass."

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
Hunchback was my favorite as a kid because it was dark and the music was this sweeping gothic score, with beautiful background visuals.

But were they seriously ignorant about the connotations of the word "gypsy" or did they just not care? How did that go over in Europe?

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

sweeperbravo posted:

Every VHS. Every goddamn VHS had an ad for The Nightmare Before Christmas at the beginning previews. That movie looked so balls to the walls awesome and creepy and cool and my mom refused to let me watch it* because it was "too dark." Eventually I let it go and it became one of those movies everyone else but you has seen and I had come to terms with being that person.

Then freshman year in college my friend group was obsessed with the film so I finally got to watch it. Holy poo poo. I have never felt more let down, just a decade and a half of buildup and disappointment washing over me at how badly I'd been misled by the previews. I don't even remember exactly what I had expected, but it wasn't what I got. I think it was.... maybe close to the creepiness level I had imagined, but the actual storyline and how goofy and twee parts of it were just left me never needing to see it again, ever.
VHS advertisement movie previews that didn't age well.

NBC is one of those movies that's taken on a weird life of its own solely through merchandise. The dark palette, the rough stop motion, the black humor were all things that scared the poo poo out of me as a kid, but was something I could get into when I was a young teen (and super into Hot Topic). It loses something after you're 14 or 15.

My husband had the same experience you had, after I told him there was this awesome movie from when I was a kid, I couldn't believe he hadn't seen it, etc etc. His reaction was "...meh." But we still pop on the music around Halloween because it's catchy and fun.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
I had given up on Burton after Corpse Bride, but then I saw Big Eyes and it was...surprisingly good? Mostly because of Christoph Waltz chewing scenery which works perfectly for the character, and makes it all the creepier when he shows his true nature.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

jojoinnit posted:

I liked Corpse Bride when I saw it as a teenager. I'm taking it doesn't hold up to a rewatch?

It's gorgeous, but the script is either a first draft or a seventh draft (take a sip every time someone says "I beg of you"), and more than one actor was phoning it in. That said, it was cool to see how far stop-motion had gone in a decade. One of my friends didn't believe it wasn't CGI until I showed her the behind the scenes pics.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
That's basically the plot of The Prestige.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Dragon Ball gets a lot of mileage about how the idea of action heroes having to go through normal everyday activities between adventures has incredible comedy potential, especially taking the piss out of how their personalities are usually hilariously ill-suited for life outside death-defying hijinx, or just intense enough to make them fun to watch doing pretty much anything. Or both.

My favorite part is how Chichi insists that their children get a good education so that when they grow up they have opportunities to do things other than fighting. Unlike, you know, her illiterate husband.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
Wasn't his American voice actor accused of a bunch of sexual harassment/assault? I remember there being drama around it.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Mister Kingdom posted:

Same here. There are no likable characters.

I felt the same about Seinfeld. I never cared for Seinfeld's standup work. Richards was fine as a one-note character on Fridays. Dreyfuss was funny enough on SNL, but not here. I find Alexander to be 100% intolerable on anything.

I have been told that the characters on Seinfeld being unlikable is why I should like them. I can handle one, maybe two unlikable characters on a show with enough good ones, but not the reverse.
It's hard to care about the characters in Seinfeld, but the fun comes from watching them get what's coming to them. You know their hubris/ego/selfishness is going to gently caress a good thing up, the only question is how.

Some shows with unlikable characters work better than others. Everyone on Silicon Valley is terrible in their own way, but you still root for them because they have redeeming qualities. (Well, up until Season 5 when Richard is just 100% a dick.)

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Toshimo posted:

Monica did nothing wrong how dare you.

No one ever died from secondhand heroin :colbert:

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
Bob's Burgers is great because the family members actually like each other. I was watching old Simpsons the other day, and I don't think I realized before just how toxic that family was. There are petty squabbles, but at the end of the day Bob and Linda never resent the kids, which is a major trope in other animated comedies.

londonarbuckle posted:

It seemed like it never knew if it wanted to be a heartearming show about a plucky civic servant or an absurd and cynical show where one character is inexpliably loathed by all the others, for example, and it tried to have it both ways in a way that was pretty weak a lot of the time. Which is really just a set of problems carried over from the US Office and made worse by trying to repeat it.

For what it's worth I really only saw seasons 2 and 3 of P&R but I think those are the most beloved ones anyway.

Introducing Adam Scott and Rob Lowe to the cast was the smartest thing that show ever did. They don't really go from being the antagonists to the protagonists until midway through Season 3, though, so it's worth watching more to see how they develop the characters.

The arc with Leslie running for city counsel (Season 4) is probably the best.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
Anyone who starts off by bitching about how their life is so terrible because they work in an office earning a steady paycheck with a $130k pension can safely be ignored.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Tony Phillips posted:

Jerry's stand up intro bits. Yikes. I'm into stand up more than the average person. I have numerous favorites, go to multiple shows per year and occasionally will go to clubs with my wife regardless of who's there. I know making fun of Jerry's observational humor "What's the deal with...." stuff is a cliche, but Jesus. There's no way Larry David wasn't 95% responsible for this show being a success.
I remember one bit, I think from the Not That There's Anything Wrong With That episode, where his entire standup is about how people should replace the "gay" hand wiggle for a vacuum cleaner motion.

That's so bizarre on multiple levels. Not just because "He's a little *hand wiggle*" has mercifully faded out since the 90s, but because I guess a vacuum cleaning is supposed to be something a woman does? And gay men are women? Or maybe the joke is that gay men are clean?

The rest of the episode makes fun of how hypocritical and bigoted people can be, so it's extra odd to take a pot-shot at gay men halfway through.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Watched a few episodes of Teachers Pet on Disney + which I remember from the originial airing. It was a show which had so much going for it: a good premise, decent writing, Nathan Lane in a starring role, catchy theme song, shame they hosed it all up by making the character models so ugly. Its like Psychonauts with technicolor hyper-deformed people but 2d but it just doesn't work here. If the art was actually good it seems like a show which could have lasted longer than it did.

wikipedia posted:

Gary Baseman (born September 27, 1960) is an American contemporary artist who works in various creative fields, including illustration, fine art, toy design, and animation. He is the creator of the Emmy-winning ABC/Disney cartoon series, Teacher's Pet, and the artistic designer of Cranium, a popular award-winning board game.

:aaa: This explains so much.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
He's also responsible for the meanest jabs at Loretta's transition. I get the feeling he saw it more as "one person who's willing to speak the truth" rather than "my character's an rear end in a top hat."

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Shut up Meg posted:

Then the following episodes included making fun of people with disabilities with their eyes and Roy being sexually assaulted and everyone mocking him for it and I began to suspect that Linehan may not be a very nice man.

I'm so glad the "men being assaulted = funny" trope is dying. Wedding Crashers had a straight up rape scene that was played for laughs. Even an early Bob's Burgers has Gail molesting Bob, and Linda just laughing about it and telling him to man up. I love Bob's Burgers, but uugghh.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
I'm surprised that The Office is such a popular show with gen z. It was a good show and all, but it's slice of life that's very distinctly mid-to-late-2000s. The first season, Pam and her fiance have like a 2 or 3 year engagement that's supposed to be seen as super long and weird. Oscar comes out in the second? third? season and it ends with him kissing Michael while everyone gasps in horror. There's an episode about sexism in the workplace where Phyllis says that she's "not a feminist or anything" and everyone just kind of nods along.

I'm sure there are bigger things, but I just started re-watching lately and if these things seem weird to me, they must seem weird to teenagers too.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

nonathlon posted:

I'd be interested in what you'd make of it if you rewatched it. Late in it's run, I stumbled across a forum (maybe the AVClub) where they would dissect each episode as it came out, and they were watching it like a soap opera: critiquing lines for "not being in character", demanding that plotlines "get closure", talking about what characters deserve or need. Having only seen the UK Office, it was weird.

What's stood out at me the most is the tone shift between the episodes with Michael and the episodes after he leaves. (I've been jumping around a bit, so maybe it's not as sudden when you watch it straight through.) The last few seasons are more...fun? lighthearted? The characters don't really "stay in character," like Andy will be the romantic hero one episode and the villain the next, and it goes into absurdist humor by the finale, with Nellie stealing a baby and all, but it doesn't matter because you can tell they're having fun with it.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm finding season 8 of The Office kind of interesting entirely because Robert California is an interesting villain, and probably the closest the series has to a genuine antagonist as Ryan is more of a nuisance. He's interesting because he has a unique management style similar to Michael Scott, but where Scott encourages people out of genuine wanting to see them at their best, Robert encourages people in order to put them in positions that they are useful to him. He even seems sort of caring on the surface, but I know from internet stuff that his master plan involves screwing Dwight over on the Sabre store thing. I just watched the Trivia Night episode, which seems to be the beginning of the build to that moment.

He actually feels like the same kind of manipulative bastard that Ryan tries and fails to be. He is a successful Ryan.

:hfive: I just got to that episode last night. Robert is a great foil to Dwight because Dwight calls him out on his manipulative poo poo. Dwight's overall arc is pretty great, especially how the relationship between him and Jim changes.

Still bouncing around a bit as I re-watch, but that's mostly because I can't stand the parts where Nellie is manager. Her character gets better, but she's incredibly mean and obnoxious at the beginning. We're supposed to feel sorry for her when Andy starts tormenting her, but honestly it's hard to care. I wish they'd played around more with female bosses, because Jo Bennet is excellent.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
The entire season arc about Leslie winning city council over Paul Rudd became outdated November 8, 2016.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

mind the walrus posted:

It's better than Rick and Morty's conversation on the r-word anyway. And they wonder why angry young Nazis latched onto them so hard.

They also use "that's gay" as an insult and then double-down on it in freaking 2015.

Like, I know the creators have been open about telling the worst fans to gently caress off, and made a conscious effort to hire more women writers for Season 3, but I don't know that it's resulted in a ton of self-reflection.

hyperhazard has a new favorite as of 17:17 on Apr 11, 2020

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
I don't know if any of you have kids that watch We Bare Bears, but the one I saw yesterday aged so badly. It was from 2016 or so, and the plot is that the bears get the flu. Things get out of hand, the government is brought in to contain the new disease called "bear flu," medics are cordoning off infected areas and wearing PPE, and the TV anchors are warning people that this new strain could be deadly. Because it's a kid's show, it ends with everyone finding out that the bears just have a cold, and there's a lesson about how you shouldn't overreact.

Good lesson, unintentionally terrible setting.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Kind of a bad lesson considering people were and still are literally say that COVID19 response is overblown and it's no worse than the flu.

Sorry, I meant "don't panic" is a good general lesson, not "don't take medical conditions seriously."

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

BioEnchanted posted:

I think my favourite take on Achilles is in the Dynasty Warriors spinoff Legends of Troy - he gets shot in the heel in a lucky hit, then he basically gets turned into a pincushion as Paris just keeps firing at him. The heel didn't directly kill him, but it allowed Paris to fill him full of arrows. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLrkRlvHQwg

IIRC, they did the same thing in Troy, except it ends up being unintentionally hilarious because Briseis is yelling at Paris the entire time to stop shooting him, which he pointedly ignores.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

mind the walrus posted:

What I hate is that they did basically the same poo poo Josie and the Pussycats did only 4 years too late... but no one appreciated Josie and the Pussycats at the time either. Boy Bands were so inherently mockable that even the good parodies got lost in the shuffle.

Josie and the Pussycats is amazing, but the plot revolves around the evils of digital mastering, which is pretty funny in retrospect.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
Bob's Burgers has a reoccurring plot where the girls are really into a boy band. It seemed dated the first time, but now Backstreet Boys are selling out concert stadiums again so joke's on me.

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

I actually watched Josie the other day for the first time. I forgot about auto tune being a growing concern back then. I viewed as more of a dig at consumerism. What an incredibly good and bizarre film.
iirc, they didn't take money from any of the (many many) brands in the film, which makes it even better. Almost every scene has a visual gag where all of the products are turned so their names face the camera, and it's great.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
Was it DBZ that changed the color of the blood from red to black, and that made it ok?

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Promoted Pawn posted:

That just sounds like they were referencing that one Russian doctor who had to perform his own appendectomy because he was the only doctor on their Antarctic base.

Are you thinking of the woman with breast cancer, or has this happened multiple times?

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

ilmucche posted:

I have the same problem but even when awake. A lot of white male actors are the same person to me. Probably doesn't help that I don't watch a lot of movies.

I tried to watch the original Ocean's 11 a few years ago and had to give up part way through because everyone who wasn't Sammy Davis Jr just blended into one person. I dont know if I was tired or face blind, but my husband had the same problem, so at least it wasn't just me.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Man, if Animorphs had come out when it could do seven novel-length books instead of basically monthly shorts it would be regarded as a YA classic, it had some really cool plots buried in a bunch of ghostwritten chaff.

The author put it all online for free, so I re-read them last year, skipping a few of the more terrible ghostwritten stuff. They hold up! (Unlike Everworld, which I loved at the time, but is full of early 00's references and gay panic jokes.) Plus K. A. Applegate is vocally pro trans, since one of her children transitioned. She's like the anti-Rowling.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
So I finished binging the last season of Handmaid's Tale -- had its ups and its downs as usual, but the one thing that stuck out to me was the subplot about being force to wear face masks. The intent is obvious: women are being visibly silenced. And kudos to the costume design, those things are terrifying, with metal buckles locking them in place in the back.

But man, talk about unfortunate timing. It came out about 6 or 7 months before the pandemic, but the timing is close enough that in a couple of years it won't matter. And yes, idiots are already dressing up in the costume to protest Corona safety measures.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
The one R&M episode I had a real issue with was the one where he dates Unity, the hive mind who can control people on a whim. Summer finds it unethical that she's making slaves of people. Wacky hijinks ensue, and the twist at the end is that the people were terrible and being part of a hive mind was better for everyone.

Except most of the wacky hijinks were Rick having sex with Unity through the people she controlled. Like, hundreds of women in a stadium having an orgy. Completely against their will. And it was played for laughs.

That icked me out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Hattie Masters posted:

Yeah I will admit despite having previously been a big fan of the show and loving the character interactions, honestly trying to watch it now mostly just angries up the blood.

I started watched it lately based on recommendations from a bunch of people, and it's basically feel-good mindless entertainment if you turn your brain off. If you take it seriously, you start noticing things like jesus christ did they seriously arrest a black dude with zero evidence, and then spend an entire episode trying to find something to pin on him?