Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Proudly supporting the Lowtax Spine Fund 2018-19

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I was really disappointed that the dystopian 1984ish vibe of the first episode or two didn't hold on for the rest of the first season. Don't know how the other ones went.

Looking back, it's a bit unnerving now that in the BBC's 1978 pilot Roj Blake was framed for child molesting. That aged a little too well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I was bored in a doctor's office and watching an old Charlie Brooker Wipe, and while he was talking about the BBC scandal, he posited that Jimmy Savile might not have achieved stardom if TV's in the 70's were similar to now, because his overall physical creepiness would have been magnified x1000 in today's modern landscape with the way TV's work now compared to how they did when Savile became a star, especially since the image was so much smaller than now. It's an interesting theory and I mainly brought it up because bringing up both Blake's 7 plus the BBC Molestapalooza made me think of it since Brooker covered both really well.

Possibly true, and he definitely wouldn't have cut so wide a swathe. My mother met Jimmy Savile in 1969 or 1970 and she indeed thought he was a creep, but she saw a lot of girls making moon eyes because he was the star from the TV.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Indeed. Red Dwarf works best when they have six episodes per series. Stretching it to eight only resulted in madness and...well, wasn't very good.

The irony being that Red Dwarf VII and VIII were stretched to eight episodes at the behest of American TV networks, so they could have 52 episodes for syndication. As soon as Dave got hold of it and took it back to the UK style, it mysteriously became good again.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Len posted:

Probably?

Yeah, no "probably" about it. I remember the storming of the Branch Davidian compound, and hysterical reports declaring that there were 2.5 guns for every man, woman and child in the group. This becomes much less of a thing when you learn that in Texas in 1993 there were three privately owned guns for every citizen in the state. When the average American owns more guns than an apocalyptic death cultist, you can't really say you don't have a problem.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Yeah but it's not supposed to, it's literally a joke-a-week grindmill where they just push out as much as they can each week to entertain the public, then trash it and then start over again the next day. Asking it to 'age well' on top of that is asking it to be the opposite of what it is, and frankly asking too much - the only way it can survive is by constantly flowing.

You should try to make nearly an hour of content each week and see how well you can make it 'age well' before you burn out.

You can see how it does work with Not The Nine O'Clock News. It only ran for 28 half hour episodes made across three years, but almost 40 years on (dear God) it still stands up for the most part. There's a few sketches like General Synod's Life of Christ and Death of a Princess: An Apology that are funnier if you recognise the context - Life of Christ especially requires that you know the furore around Monty Python's Life of Brian - but most of what you miss is not knowing who the politicians in the intercut "audience shots" are. And Conservatives: Realism and Responsibility, Constable Savage and National Wealth Beds could have been made yesterday, sadly.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember thinking for years that "I Like Trucking" was just a silly song, and I was quite amused when my dad informed me, "Actually, that was a parody of ads for Yorkie bars."

Nearly all the songs are like that - funny by themselves, much funnier with the context. Nice Video, Shame About The Song is ripping on New Wave and especially Krautrock videos like this; Supa Dupa is of course ABBA; and I'm A Headbanger and I Like Bouncing are archetypal TV performances by heavy metal and punk bands. The only two I can think of that aren't are Oh Bosanquet, which is obscure these days in a way the Ayatollah Song isn't, and Kinda Lingers which was an excuse to say a prohibited word as many times as possible.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I never knew that about Not the Nine O'Clock News, but that's still a drat funny sketch on top of having a point.

The "Completely Newscastered" on the scoreboard needs a bit of explanation, though. It's obviously rhyming slang for "plastered", but it came into use via ITN newsreader Reginald Bosanquet (also referred to by the song "Oh Bosanquet"). Bosanquet was suspected to be a heavy drinker because of his slurred delivery; after he died his co-presenter Anna Ford confirmed that he was an alcoholic and would often go on air drunk.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

I have no idea how we should think "Stout Life" has aged. If nothing else, it has my single favourite line in the entirety of NTNON ("Organising plump discos, I suspect!").

It's aged pretty well. Obviously the sketch is a riff on gay rights and the landscape there has changed a bit. There's fewer closeted adults and thank God the "homo-er than thou" trendy gay seems to have died out - these days you can offer support for the GBLAT community without being part of it - but you've still got vociferous activists, people trying to reconcile their sexuality with their faith, and so on.

The whole sketch is full of great lines. "Stout people are afraid to stand up for fear they may never find their feet" is a classic, but the best line is subtle. Mel Smith says "Down these narrow streets a man must go". If you know your Raymond Chandler, you'll know that the line goes "Down these mean streets a man must go who is not himself mean". Substitute "narrow" for both instances and...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Torquemada posted:

So having guns makes people rob you? If I was an American thief, Id do my best to rob unarmed people: much less chance of getting shot.

Yup. But you don't know if they're armed. So you take a gun on your burglary, because you have to presume they are. If it turns out they do have a gun, you shoot them because you have to assume they're willing to use it. And yes, you do get the drop on them because they just woke up and don't know if you're armed while you're fully awake and prepared for them to be armed. Statistics have shown for decades that Americans who keep guns in the house are more likely to be killed during a break-in, and these are the reasons why.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't really get the hate for Knocked Up. I remember liking it well enough when I saw it and I don't think it was trying to be huge morality play so much as focusing on immaturity and how hard it is to have a kid, especially with someone you didn't plan on having one with.

it was fine and seemed to poo poo on everyone equally.

The last good movie Seth Rogen was in was Donnie Darko.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Dexie posted:

Seth Rogan wasn't in Donnie Darko...

*googles*

Wait, what. How have I never caught that.

I could probably win a fair bit of cash in pubs with it if I could come up with the right question. As movie cameos that people forget go it's up there with Jim Carrey appearing in the last Dirty Harry movie.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

sassassin posted:

I still feel like primary/elementary schools with websites listed on their sign must be tryhard hip/modern nonsense, but then I haven't been outside a school in over ten years so what do I know.

Not much. A few years ago I had to update a directory of contact details for all the schools in Aberdeenshire. At the time that was 17 secondary schools and over 130 primary schools. The easiest way to do this was to grab the details from their websites, because they all have one - even the pokey little huts with two classrooms and a roll of 20.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Arivia posted:

What was Thora Birch’s role in that movie anyway? I thought it was something about Spacey as an older man seducing his daughter’s friend or whatever.

She was the daughter. Mena Suvari was the friend.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

MariusLecter posted:

The episode of Jeopardy! that aired Tuesday, August 25, 2015.

I still remember the answers and where the Daily Doubles are.

Why? On all counts, why?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I just watched The Adventure Game S1E1 for the first time since 1980. Man, has TV changed.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

BrigadierSensible posted:

Some more TV that aged really badly: British racism in the 70s edition.

Two of my dad's favourite TV shows are 1) Love Thy Neighbour. A show about a black family moving next to a white family, and the two husbands both work at the same place. It is a show where the phrase "Bloody nig-nog" is not only acceptable, but used as a punchline byu the main character, whom we are supposed to like and identify with, in a "oh you rascal, what're you like" kind of way.

Mind Your Language I'll give you, but you've missed the point of Love Thy Neighbour if you think the husbands are the main characters. They're the butts of the joke. The foils, and the characters you are meant to identify with, are their wives, who quickly become fast friends and spend most of their time rolling their eyes at the antics of their idiot prejudiced husbands.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

anything just pg gets dismissed as stuff for kids these days, so stuff for the whole family has to have enough swears to get pg 13

This happened with Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. Remember the bit where Christian Slater drops a gratuitous F-bomb? Not if you're in the UK, you don't. The scene was cut over here because the movie got the rating they wanted without it. In the US it didn't, so they had to add that specific swear word.

Getting back to touching, I recall that the shortlived Wonderfalls was pitched under the working title "Inappropriately Touched By An Angel".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Now I'm picturing a movie that has a scene of some grip saying "gently caress" to the camera in an empty studio that's inserted into the middle of the film with no attempt to disguise it as part of the movie.

Apart from it being Slater in a forest instead of a grip in a studio, that's exactly what it was. The word wasn't part of a dialogue, it was used by itself in a reaction shot.

Still, I'm not sure if it's better or worse than Galaxy Quest, where Sigourney Weaver sees the hydraulic crushers and her "gently caress that" gets obviously dubbed to "screw that" in the UK because it already got the PG rating for the torture scene.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tiggum posted:

That was a great show.

Apart from the theme song. It just had the misfortune to start around the same time as Joan of Arcadia, which was the same basic trope but (AIUI) more overtly accepting of Christianity.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Quote-Unquote posted:

Then 12 changed to 12A, which means you can see it if you're 12 or older or have an adult with you.

Nope, 12 and 12A are separate ratings that have coexisted since the latter's introduction. 12A is a cinema rating while 12 is now video only.

The whole rating system took a bizarre turn around 1989, because while PGs were advisory at the cinema's discretion you could still be refused admission to see a PG if you were under 14 and not accompanied by an adult. This created a situation where a 13 year old couldn't see a PG by themselves at some cinemas but could go to see a 12 (and later 12As) which had more extreme content.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

Ya know, you're part of the problem

Would you want a giraffe sat in front of you in the cinema?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

That really is the best way to do a nostalgia based sitcom. You can have characters advance and grow without forcing your show to cram 5 seasons in 2 real time years. So what if certain things are anachronistic, sitcoms aren't really known for accuracy, since everything mostly returns to status quo by the start of the next episode.

The only other nostalgia based show I can think of offhand is The Wonder Years, but that one was a drama, so it was expected to take place in a specific time.

Stranger Things springs to mind. That's fairly good for anachronism, apart from the music.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't think they have money in Star Trek. Though they still ate meat on Enterprise.

Assuming you're talking about the ship and not the show, why would they not eat meat for any reason other than not liking it? Replicators remove any cruelty from production. Sure, PETA of the 23rd Century would still be protesting that cows had been bred 80 years earlier to get the template for that perfect cut of Kobe beef you just ate, but they'd be even more fringe than they are today.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

reality_groove posted:

The Discworld TV specials are going to age badly quickly.

I never got the logic of casting David Jason as both Ricewind and Albert. I know he's a national treasure but it reeks of vanity casting.

That's because it was vanity casting. He was a good Albert but a bad Rincewind, so it's lucky that Hogfather was a good adaptation and TCOM was a bad adaptation.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

SEX BURRITO posted:

I've been watching some random old South Parks and just saw the Paris Hilton one.

Obviously, its aged badly because every celebrity has a sex tape/nudes now, but drat are they horrible about her. The entire episode is her being called a slut and a whore, and generally being gross. It just feels out of proportion for someone who was a dumb reality TV star.

It's tacky and it's slutshaming, but at the time Hilton was out every night partying and she had a rep for not wearing panties because they were coming off anyway. Even before the sex tape there was a joke (FCVO "joke") that more men had slept with Paris Hilton than in the Paris Hilton.

What's really bad is that Hilton did try moderating a bit after the sex tape put a bit of a shock into her, but nobody would let her forget it. In the remake of House of Wax there's a scene where two cars are driving side by side and a guy in one is filming Paris Hilton in the other, and of course he's using a night vision filter. Doing that poo poo is just what South Park does; taking it into real life is way worse.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I, Claudius is a classic, but some aspects of it I do not think aged well with how far women have progressed.

Aged since when, 50AD? Women were not permitted to participate in Roman politics. The only woman who ever got a real foothold into it was Livia Augusta, and she did it by making her namesake in the Sopranos look like a toddler.

Re: Futurama and the Leela/Fry relationship - it had a very satisfying conclusion in The Devil's Hands Are Idle Playthings when Robot Satan takes back the hands he'd loaned Fry to make him a brilliant musician. When Fry tries playing for himself he's bad and everyone leaves... except Leela, who wants to hear him play because it's him playing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

CannonFodder posted:

YEEEEEEAAAHHHH

That's not Law and Order: Anything. It's CSI: KFC

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Not Operator posted:

Loosely speaking of which, I saw Citizen Kane for the first time like six years ago and I loved it, but all the way through I kept thinking of The Simpsons. They must have recreated basically every scene in that movie over the course of their first ten seasons. Its weirdly impressive.

So did everyone else. Citizen Kane is a bad movie, but it's a bad movie in the same way the dictionary is a bad novel. Both are essential for learning the language.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

bitterandtwisted posted:

This is the worst movie post I've ever read in pyf including all the mr bibs ones.

Please don't compare me to Bibs. Kane is a genius piece of film making. It's lone fault is that it doesn't really work as entertainment.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

Trans fats episodes

How does that work, does someone assume their isomeric structure?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

BrigadierSensible posted:

Given all The Departed talk recently.

Don't watch The Departed. Watch Infernal Affairs, (80s or 90s Hong Kong movie) instead. It's the same film, Scorcese shamelessly stole everything from it. Literally everything. Much in the way A Fistful of Dollars is an unauthorised remake of Yojimbo.

Scorsese didn't just stop there, the bastard went on to shamelessly credit the writers of Infernal Affairs in his movie that was co-produced with the company that made the original.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Choco1980 posted:

SVU's position on prison surprise sex is so flip floppy. One episode you see that kind of scene play out, and then there are others where there's this huge outcry about it from the cops. Like, make up your mind, Dick Wolf.

"Dick Wolf" is a pretty good euphemism for a prison rapist, if you think about it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Volcott posted:

Babylon 5. With outs in case any of the actors died or quit.

Technically not, as Straczynski had to do S5 on the fly.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

Without anything to back this up except anecdotal evidence, it seems like TV in the 70's and 80's was a job. Like you got your character and if it was popular that was now your career for life. You might get little parts later on, but you pretty much were that character forever.

Poster child for this is William Roache. He's been acting for 60 years, and he has exactly eleven IMDb credits - one of them an uncredited role. That's because one of them (two, actually) is for the soap opera Coronation Street, in which he has played the same character since the first episode in 1960.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

JediTalentAgent posted:

Around the time that season 2 or later was close to ending production, I seem to recall an article in in some magazine like Time, Newsweek, People, EW, etc. where they were interviewing Boxleitner on the final days of filming. I think he was commenting something like he'd and several other folks who worked on the show were really frustrated with how the studio was dragging out the renewal notice.

The tone made it sound like on most other shows of this sort, the cast/crew would have known well before the end of filming the final episodes of the season if they were getting picked up again or not. It would have given the show a chance to tie up loose ends, for the cast/crew to start looking for other jobs, figure out what to do with sets, etc.

Straczynski never intended to tie up loose ends if B5 got cancelled, the story would simply stop. S4 was an exception to that because they were told before production began that it was the last season.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

Rescue Me started sucking around the time he stopped seeing dead people.

Much like Denis Leary's stand-up act, then.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

The whole mockumentary format for tv comedies was real bad (not sure if “was” is the right word, I’m being optomistic.)

Everyone wanted to make the next Spinal Tap. The only person who ever really pulled it off was Rusty Cundieff with Fear of a Black Hat, which is a truly masterful parody.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Garrand posted:

Well yeah, he was unable to afford healthcare and after that realization he picked himself up by his bootstraps and became a super badass.

And they didn't notice that this shining example of How Alt-Right Philosophy Really Works then got bent over a barrel and robbed by people exactly like them?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

RC and Moon Pie posted:

King Crimson similarly finds it very awkward to explain a lyric from The Great Deceiver on Starless and Bible Black.

A 2016 article on the same site about the making of the album doesn't even mention the line's contents at all, just "The Great Deceiver, newly emerged from the sessions at Air, contained a Fripp lyric about the clash of commercialism and religion, as well as Richard Palmer-James reference to falafel-making rather than any homophobic inference which some listeners mistook it to be."

They're not the only ones to have a problem.

It's worth noting that when I were a lad the company was just "Brain's", not "Mr Brain's". They rebranded after a lot of jokes about going to the shops to buy some enjoyable human being's brains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Why do transformers always turn into cars people know about? Why is it never weird alien vehicles?

The tagline for Transformers is "robots in disguise".