Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I don't know if this has been mentioned but as a fan of Aliens, I only found out this year that Pvt. Vasquez is played by a white woman wearing contacts and full-body makeup.

Are you saying that you never watched Terminator 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I would have watched Tobe Hooper's Cats, that's for sure.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Kim Possible has an episode based around the X game guest starring such celebrities as BMXer Ryan Nyquist and Skateboarder Bob Burnquist. They also ended an episode once with a smash mouth concert, had a villain whose entire conceit was based around a Beanie Babies parody and most egregiously an episode I just watched (Naked Genius Season 2 Episode 1 features Wade using the word: "Japanimation"

Having the teen slang just be words the writers made up because they realized using actual words would date the show within a year was inspired though.

Not as inspired as you think. I saw Akira referred to as Japanimation when it was basically 100% of all anime available in the West.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

sweeperbravo posted:

Huh, I've seen that picture many times, and only now realized that kind of construction is where the name of the game "chutes and ladders" comes from

Snakes and Ladders dates back to the 2nd century AD.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Cleretic posted:

I'd revise this to 'no Star Trek since 1999', largely because riiiiiight at the end of it (DS9 ended in June) you get Galaxy Quest, which is more of a Star Trek movie than several Star Trek movies.

And starred Tim Allen, who has his own personal entry in this thread.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

ravenkult posted:

That actor from Carnivale is a racist chud now, so that sucks.

Which one? Because Clancy Brown certainly isn't.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, and also Margot Robbie, Guy Pearce, Kylie Minogue, Russell Crowe, Heath Ledger, Ben Mendelsohn, Isla Fisher, and Naomi Watts.

There are people whose only major credits are in them (Ryan Maloney has been playing Toadie for 25 years now, Ray Meagher has been Alf for even longer) but you can't begrudge an actor who wants a stable job.

Yep, that's what Bill Roache always says. He's been playing Ken Barlow on Coronation Street since the first episode in 1960.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Sunswipe posted:

For the cast or the audience?

For the benefit of anyone who doesn't know, B5 lost more principal cast members by its 20th anniversary than Star Trek did by its 50th.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

Maybe they could do Babylon Five TNG or a remake. I've never seen it so I don't know how either suggestion would make sense.

B5 was an internally complete narrative and something like 85 of the 110 episodes were written by one man. A sequel would be very hard to pull off - especially since the overlap between characters who survived the show and actors who are still alive is virtually nil - and a remake wouldn't have the twists. Plus there's an executive still at Warner who despises the show, which is why there hasn't been a proper HD version.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

the_steve posted:

Isn't that the same sort of thing that hosed up Firefly's run on tv?

No, that was Firefly being garbage.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The Gap Cycle also had a ton of rape in the first book, and the rapist went on to be a major protagonist. Stephen Donaldson really loves rape in his books.

He's talking about the Gap Cycle. There's an essay in the back of book 1 explaining how it was inspired by the Ring Cycle.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Der Kyhe posted:

Well, Sly started the nursing home project for the not-as-successful classic action movie starts with the Expendables. But they have the depth of Fast and Furious franchise so not exactly high art.

At late 90's Copland didn't succeed because Stallone was already cast as one-dimensional action start and his actual performance in the movie was mostly ignored.

Stallone should have won Best Actor for Rocky Balboa. He was so good in that, and it's only a shame he thought it meant he could go back to the well for Rambo too.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Game of Thrones would have been massively improved if they took the anime filler approach, honestly.

Like, what Game of Thrones did is closer to, say, Trigun: taking an incomplete work and then attempting to backfill the ending as close as possible using the author's notes. Sometimes this works; people generally like the Trigun anime better than the manga. Sometimes, though, you get Game of Thrones. This type of "filler" is bonkers-rear end risky because it lives or dies on the skill of the writers, and if they don't utterly nail it the way that something like Trigun did, the whole series is basically ruined.

If Game of Thrones had just stopped the plot dead when it ran out of book, and started doing adaptations of the Dunk and Egg stories like how One Piece does adaptations of the cover arcs for its filler, or done some dumb "Jon Snow has to get his driver's license" episodic nonsense, it would actually have been significantly better because once they got back to book material you could just ignore all the filler.

Maybe, but they would have been getting back to book material in Season 27.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

^^^ I would say he had a rather significant part.

hyperhazard posted:

The Boys comics and The Boys show have veeeery different feels. The comics start off as edgy bullshit, with the writer trying to shove in as much sex, rape, blood, misogyny, homophobia, etc etc as possible because he can. Around the time it changes publishers, it starts to level out and actually becomes pretty good. It even criticizes some of its previous plot, with Starlight going off on a couple of PR people for suggesting that a rape backstory makes female characters edgy and interesting.

There's a story behind that. Ennis was already burned out on superheroes by the time he finished Hitman in 2002, but DC kept wanting him to do stuff. He began trying to get fired by going too far, culminating with The Boys which was in essence Ennis hatefucking the entire genre. DC eventually pulled the plug when he submitted a script which had a Batman analogue compulsively loving everything in sight.

But getting back to Annie: Ennis had originally intended her to be the butt of the series, but as sometimes happens the characters took over. He changed her path completely after she met Hughie on the park bench in issue 5 as he realised he'd been using the character the wrong way. He also felt guilty about it and decided that no matter what, Annie was going to get a happy ending.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

SiKboy posted:

The Boys:

I'd have personally prefered it if they had still left butcher some way of being a physical threat to at least a low level superpowered person

Given that this happens twice in Series 1Translucent, Mesmer and is implied to have happened multiple times in Series 2 in the flashback, also remember that Frenchie's role in the Boys was coming up with ways to kill supes, I don't know what your issue is.

E: and the Stand at Gjallerbru is one of the best moments in comics. When I saw the brief shot in the trailer for Ragnarok and realised they were doing it, I was stoked.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Moo the cow posted:

E: He was also arguably the best-acted character in RED and that was a star-studded cast.

gently caress off if you think the best thing in RED wasn't Helen Mirren. Her performance was surpassed only by Honor Blackman in Cockneys Versus Zombies.

Also Urban was poo poo in The Chronicles of Riddick.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

HopperUK posted:

We used to sing 'glory, glory what a hell of a way to die, suspended by your braces when you don't know how to fly, glory, glory what a hell of a way to die, he ain't gonna jump no more'

Braces being what Americans would call suspenders, not like, tooth braces.

"When you're hanging by your bollocks and your arse is in the sky", if you please.

It has to be remembered that in the early 80s plenty of kids were still learning World War 2 playground songs and soldier songs from their grandfathers who had served - and in some cases learned the same songs from their own fathers who had learned them in the Great War. And those kids would teach the other kids. Ones I still recall are He Jumped From 40,000 Feet, Hitler Only Had One Ball (TTTO Colonel Bogey), and Three German Officers, Mademoiselle From Armentieres and the Fart Song (all TTTO When Johnny Comes Marching Home).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

HopperUK posted:

Wow I forgot all about Hitler Has Only Got One Ball. In your playground was it 'The other is in the Albert Hall' or the bit about some other Nazi having two, but very small?

We had both versions. The most common version runs:

Hitler, he only has one ball
Göring has two, but very small
Himmler has something similar
And poor old Göbbels has no balls at all!

I read a book about Myths and Urban Legends of World War II in which a couple of pages were devoted to the song. It included an interview with Hitler's personal chauffeur, who said that he had in fact "glanced across" once during a roadside break and as far as he could tell, the Führer was made as other men.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Whybird posted:

Let's not forget the lyrical chronicling of the many and varied crimes against humanity that took place at the German Nick.

Does that song even exist past the second line? I knew someone who claimed the third line was "And the Nazis play snooker with your balls", but I never heard any more beyond that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Garrand posted:

I had heard about soaps like guiding light that ran for decades but they were never my thing. I didn't realize they absolutely pumped out episodes. Guiding light has 57 seasons and 15,762 episodes

these episode counts are insane

The longest running soap in the UK is Coronation Street, which celebrates its 60th anniversary on December 9th. It's only had 10,152 episodes though, as it aired only twice a week for much of its run (it currently airs six times a week, two 30-minute episodes three days a week). If you want astonishing, Bill Roache has played Ken Barlow on the show since the first episode.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Pookah posted:

Bill Roache is 88 years old, has been an actor for 64 years and has played a total of... 9 roles, 7 of them very minor. He has played Ken Barlow for 59 goddamn years.

He's said many times that as an actor the most important thing to him is the steady income.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Pookah posted:

Oh I'm not knocking him or his career - I'd adore to have a gig as sweet as that.

Oh, heck, it's a family benefit. One of Linus Roache's first roles was as Ken Barlow's son Peter, and James Roache not only appeared on the show as Ken's grandson (he's 20 years younger than his brother) but also as his own father in a documentary about the creation of the show.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

VanSandman posted:

Scientifically engineered to produce weird assholes. Why you decided they deserved to be the upper crust is anyone's guess. Probably they'd die out if they did anything else.

You have it back to front. Being rich gives people licence to do what they want, and when you get down to it the unfettered id is a colossal weird rear end in a top hat. (See: Trump, Donald J.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

But then who will we make TV shows about? I don't think you guys are thinking this through.

Downton Abbey is already a historical drama.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

This is media that, unfortunately for all of us, continues to age well.

I wouldn't say it aged well as much as it aged accurately.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

It's pretty common to see people describing pale characters as "ivory," "alabaster," or "porcelain" in relation to particular features, especially in older books; among many other words.

"He had the body of a Greek statue: marble-white and with a tiny dick."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

I wonder how badly Supernatural is going to age.

According to a friend of mine, the end fails to stick the landing harder than any show she's ever seen including Lost. So it's already not aging well.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I really want to see a stand up comedy act about an extremely fancy gentleman with a monocle and all who is scandalised by random things.

It was a sketch, but there's always Kenny Everett's character Angry of Mayfair.

(Slightly NWS, but this aired at teatime in the UK.)

https://youtu.be/wPoOgCSjdl8

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Violet_Sky posted:

Pickle rick is the new Monty Python and the Holy Grail for insufferable nerds.

Change my mind

Monty Python and the Holy Grail was funny the first time.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

well why not posted:

High watermark for cartoon themes is still X-Men Evolution.

I'm not sure how you spell The Trap Door that badly. Maybe you're American?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9dbAQJIu1o&t=35s

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Samovar posted:

He was pretty drat good, weren't he.

He was, but he also did some hella racist cartoons for Private Eye in the 60s.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Come at me! Alan Davies is lame as poo poo!

Alan Davies is the butt of the show. In the early seasons it was pretty much his job to set off the Obvious But Wrong Answer alarm at least once an episode. He mostly got the job because he was better known for playing an unwholesomely clever person on Jonathan Creek. He's good because he knows this and takes it in good part.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ambitious Spider posted:

least problematic. And she's a honey pot not a sex worker (not that there's anything wrong with sex work). At least she's an adult when she gets with Indy, and not a child.

Also she's a Nazi.

The thing that aged least well about Last Crusade is the model work. The plane that flies into the tunnel is an entirely different colour to the previous scene, and when the turret comes off the tank in the cliff scene you can clearly see there's no entrance beneath it - just the mount you'd find on a plastic kit.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The most cursed reality show has to be The Murder Game. The 2003 UK version was won by a farmer who was voted out every single week for being the most useless member of the team but somehow managed to win nine consecutive coinflips to stay in. After he tried to parlay his "fame" into a public speaking career, being seemingly completely oblivious to the fact that everyone who might know who he was hated him. Meanwhile, the original US version was won by a New York firefighter who died on 9/11.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ambitious Spider posted:

I'd also like to add that the whole leak of her sex tape was a horrible sex crime, on top of the abuse she suffered. Amazing she made it through.

The remake of House of Wax she had a lead role in is decidedly on topic. The director had one of the inevitably murdered college students be packing a night vision attachment for his camera, which is unaccountably only used to film a shot of Paris Hilton.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

sassassin posted:

The reason is that most of the slayers don't live very long. Buffy dies in season 1, and that was pretty normal and expected.

The reboot comic series just introduced the idea that slayers who last too long are sent on suicide missions in case they start thinking they should have real lives. But even in the series, the Council wants to replace Giles at one point because they think he's too close to his slayer and not willing to see her as disposable.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Alhazred posted:

For gently caress's sake! Her too?

Dolly Parton has done a massive amount of good work, so I'd wait to hear the full story before jumping down her throat. There's a big difference between "she vouched for him and was wrong" and "she knew but covered it up".

E: I looked. It's been revealed recently that Parton was an uncredited exprod on the Buffy TV series. So she "enabled" Whedon by listening to someone else who told her that there was mileage in the franchise after the movie flopped.

Jedit has a new favorite as of 16:19 on Feb 12, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mooseontheloose posted:

This isn't a defense of Whedon but he probably thought he had an inclusive environment and maybe he did. But inclusivity doesn't mean you are a good boss or a good person.

Also Roseanne Barr is a racist. Whedon could easily have been trying to make the show more inclusive of minorities while at the same time being a sexist.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Vandar posted:

Every time I've tried to watch Grease, the universe has conspired against me to stop me from finishing the movie. I've tried a dozen times throughout my life and every time something happens and I can't finish the movie. Blackouts. People needing me to run errands. Family wanting to go out and eat. Falling asleep towards the end of the flim. I have been cursed with never being able to see the ending to the movie. The furthest I've ever gotten is the end of the dance.

This all came to a head a couple years ago when my wife didn't believe me about the Curse of Grease. She thought it was stupid and I was making it up so she went to the library and checked out their copy and forced me to sit down and watch it while she went to our computer room to do some work.

About 2/3s of the way through the PS4 spit out the disc. Looking at it, it was covered in scratches and completely unwatchable from that point onward. I began to laugh my rear end off and took the dvd to show her.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone as pissed as she was that day, at having to admit that my Curse of Grease is a real thing. :v:

This is entertaining. Tell me more, tell me more!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

God Hole posted:

special SPECIAL EFFECTS edition

SFX is the name of the parent magazine. They used to have a slightly annoying habit of covering up the bottom part of the F with a cover star's head, but these days they save that for special occasions.