Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I've literally never seen an episode of The X Files - have the monster-of-the-week episodes aged well enough that its worth going back and giving it a shot?

Yah and they're like 80% of the series.

Up until like season 5 or 6 anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Pearl Harbor was still fresh in everyone's memory at the time

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Iron Crowned posted:

I was thinking about that the other day actually. I swear every cartoon where the main characters either were house pets (Heathcliff, Garfield) usually had an episode where a crooked dog catcher kidnapped one of the side characters to be sold for research.

I wonder if it was more of a function of the 80's and people's attitudes about pets in general. I get the feeling that prior years, pets generally roamed free, and people had a more blasé attitude about keeping them in yards and on leashes.

This woulda been the 70s but my lovely granddad prepped animals for dissection in school biology classes, which was mostly frogs cause they were abundant and he could pay his kids to bring home a big bundle of them, but apparently kittens sold for more so if he found any he'd consider it a good day for business. This includes when my mom brought home a kitten as a pet after getting permission from her mom. I asssume people like him are where that cliche comes from.

Iron Crowned posted:

I've had similar experiences, and I definitely think that a lot of people hate foods because their parents were unable to actually cook it.

I feel like brussel sprouts are the poster child for this because they're super good when prepared anyway besides boiling, and it seems like everyone born before like 1980 is obsessed with boiling them.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Cleretic posted:

and don't have a 'don't watch season 1' problem with where to start.

This is mostly true but new viewers should probably be warned there are a couple parts in season 1 that are just bizarrely bad (and the loving wormhole scene in the pilot that feels like it's an hour long)

On the other hand if you can rope some friends in to watching with you, Move Along Home and the episode where Bashir is temporarily evil are loving hilariously awful, and The Nagus is complete loving nonsense in a pretty funny way.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

docbeard posted:

I have yet to watch S4 and have not heard one thing that suggests that I should be in any hurry to do so.

You've gotten the right impression. There are some genuinely good jokes here and there but like one good joke an episode is not enough to keep it from being a sad experience overall.

Barry Foster posted:

Here's some media that didn't age well, though - Twin Peaks Season 2, roughly episodes 11 to 20

I guess it was terrible at the time as well though.

I mean it did manage to go from being one of the most popular shows on TV to cancelled in like a 6 week period or something :v:

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
I'm sorry Tropic Thunder starring Jack Black and Iron Man was less sophisticated than you were expecting

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Martman posted:

its entire popularity is based on people thinking that it is sophisticated, lmao

The defense of blackface on this very page is literally that it's sophisticated enough to justify it

Ugly's post is a defense of the movie but it's a defense from a specific implication of the post they quoted and doesn't imply the movie is sophisticated at all. Something can be stupid as dirt and require no deeper thought and still end up having a complex place in society; it's a fact I'm reminded of every time I turn off my monitor.

Shiroc posted:

Isn't one of the big jokes and the motivation of the story in Tropic Thunder about how Ben Stiller made a movie about being mentally handicapped and it bombed because 'you never go full r-word.' The whole thing is some powerful 2008 edgy joke poo poo from what I can remember.

That one's probably a lot more damaging to the cultural lexicon than any of the blackface stuff just by virtue of it being quotable out of context, but the joke is very directly against hollywood making exploitative movies about neurodivergent people. Like the joke is that Ben Stiller's character thought the film industry would reward him for playing any grotesque caricature of a neurodivergent person and he just blunders in to the worst possible choice instead of one of the socially acceptable ones.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Kit Walker posted:

I wonder if the better approach to the blackface aspect of Tropic Thunder would be to just literally have a black actor play the role. There's really only one scene where the fact that it's actually RDJ under the makeup is important (when he removes the makeup) but that can just be handled with good makeup or sfx and careful camera work. Really the only drawback there would be that it's NOT RDJ in that role, but there were plenty of black actors of similar fame around at that time

I'm in to this idea, the idea of them just playing reversed footage of a black man applying whiteface makeup is powerful

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
If you want to know the true meaning of insanely boring, watch The Man With The Iron Fists 2.

This is an unironic recommendation, the last 15 or so minutes of the movie redeems it entirely even though the first 75 minutes consists of an incredibly slow-burning wuxia drama where the eponymous iron fists man is comatose and completely unrelated to the plot.

It probably won't hit the same if you actually know it's gonna do anything besides continue to be incredibly boring, but I assume no one reading this will watch 'The Man With The Iron Fists 2' so I'll spoil it:

Spoilers for the first 75 minutes: RZA washes up on the shore of a river and is rescued by some miners, but he's comatose. Like 6 miners die either through mining company negligence/sabotage or in ritualistic kung-fu combat which is the only form of arbitration the mining company accepts as valid.

Spoilers for the last 15 minutes: RZA wakes up, offers to help. Upon learning the miners' best kung-fu fighter is a 80 year old man who had his legs cut off by the mining company to make him unable to do kung-fu, RZA crafts the old man some feet version of his iron fists. The old man, 10 seconds after donning his new iron feet, reveals his legs were actually cut off by kung-fu masters for trying to steal their mystical artifact and he's the one who funded the mining company in the first place, in order to mine under the kung-fu temple to try and steal their artifact from below. He proceeds to test out his iron feet by kicking several miners to death. The miners regroup and get ready for a fight with the mining company, this fight consists of one woman with a bow shooting dozens of people with explosive arrows while every other notable character is elsewhere, it is pretty much the Rambo scene from UHF played straight. The iron feet guy, who has been revitalized by being a weird qi vampire, fights the main character miner on a mountain while RZA fights the mining company leader higher up the trail. The miner is losing his fight with the iron feet vampire, but he manages to pull him in to a river below a waterfall and is trying to drown both of them. RZA wins his fight, runs, jumps off the peak of the waterfall, and it cuts to a shot of the iron feet vampire underwater, where RZA's iron fists suddenly come from out of the top of the frame and explode his head with the force of the impact from RZA swan-diving fist first on to the bad guy. The miners thank RZA for all he's done, roll credits.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
lol it's not a compound noun it's a noun with an adjective in front of it, if you could somehow make it clear you were using it as a compound noun when using a space between the words people would still be annoyed with you.

though lmao now I'm imagining a guy in my head that gets confused when people get annoyed if he calls someone a whitewoman or black-woman

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
I'm on Dinklage's side but I could have come up with "a commune of very short magical men" without the real life existence of dwarfism :colbert:

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Maybe showing my ignorance but (eating disorder talk) isn't calories in/calories out a relatively accurate way of looking at the base mechanics of how body fat works?
I could understand if it's not a a helpful thing to say when talking about weight loss unless you're mentioning it to someone who's bought in to weird gimmick diets, but isn't it true with some massive caveats?
Namely that people's brains pretty much refuses to look at food in terms of calories and often create minor obsessive behaviors (not counting much more severe eating disorders) in response to attempts to diet, that people cutting calories often naturally reduce their physical activity, and that cutting calories without good nutrition can cause blood glucose levels to drop too much which makes it harder to think, severely exacerbating the first two issues in addition to having a large impact on quality of life.

I can understand if I'm a goon with bad ideas about food and health lmao I'm just wondering if this is me having crazy ideas or if it's just a "be very careful how you phrase something that could be interpreted as 'eat less to lose weight'" thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Byzantine posted:

Anything over 2000/day is maintenance

Isn't somebody 6' tall going to have a hugely higher maintenance calorie level than a person who's identical outside of being 5' tall, since the amount of cells that require energy to maintain is going up in a non-linear fashion? :v: