Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

The 'shemale' episode of Arrested Development. Though I don't think that was even a good joke when it aired.

I had the show on in the background the other day and when I heard Maeby tell George Michael that she had told STEVE HOLT that Lindsay was, "a tranny" I had to go back and make sure I'd heard that right. It kind of hosed me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia sure called "Carmen the Tranny" that way too long.

Oh, man, I forgot about that character.

Though, on King of the Hill, they had a small joke about it, but that was pretty much just Hank saying one of the bank tellers was "between genders" and was a throwaway line, with no significance or disgust implied.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

You guys remember the Pat sketches from SNL? Where the entire joke is if it's a man or woman? I never found that funny to begin with and it didn't get better with age.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Well, I tried watching an old Eddie Murphy stand up special and had to quit after he asked the faggots in the audience not to look at his rear end.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

Couldn't you just cover up the bottom of the screen?

:golfclap:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I think that Kolchak the Night Stalker aged pretty well. It's too bad that it's not on Netflix anymore.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

He never did say what the MF in that stood for...

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Gaunab posted:

I think you either imagined that episode or are confusing King of the Hill with another show.

There was the episode where Hank joined the co-op, which sounds kind of like what this guy is describing. Which was a good episode.

McFarlane definitely seems to dislike trans people, or else the writers do. There was a joke in a recent episode where Quagmire and his mom are out to dinner, where she mentions the restaurant they're at named a sandwich after her; it's an inside out hotdog slathered in ketchup.

It's not only unnecessary, but mean-spirited.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Trebek posted:

There was an EP of Buffy called Earshot that got pulled because of Columbine. She gains the ability to hear people's thoughts and one of them was going to shoot up Sunnydale.

I thought they pulled the episode where Jonathan climbed into the bell tower with the rifle, too, even though he wasn't going to shoot anyone but himself.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Corrode posted:

That's the same one. She thinks Jonathan is going to shoot up the school, but actually what she heard was the dinner lady planning to poison everyone.

I'll be damned, that's right. It's been a long time since I watched Buffy.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Sex and the City, maybe? What about JAG? Both of those seemed super popular for whatever reason, but I don't think many people talk about them now.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

"Single Female Lawyer", right?

Careful, that show almost got us all killed.

Unless that's :thejoke: you were making

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Volcott posted:

Speaking of boats, multiple powers ranger have committed homicide, and one of them did it by tying an elderly couple to an anchor and throwing it overboard.

Being TV stars, they should know that kind of plot is solved in about half a minute.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I just remembered the Mummies Alive cartoon. I remember it being kickass when I was a kid. I'm absolutely terrified to track it down now.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Rollersnake posted:

If you've never seen America's Funniest People, I dare you to even make it through the Wikipedia article without recoiling.

It just sounds so sad. There was some real potential there, I think, just from the premise. Not from anyone involved.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

oldpainless posted:

Also he loves crack whores

Who doesn't? Don't let that be a mark against the guy?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

My wife thought Columbo was a dumb show for the longest time, but then she caught the beginning of an episode with me. I didn't say a word about what I was watching and she grew more and more invested and interested.

Then Columbo showed up and I saw her heart sink when she realized she was fully captivated by the show.

She's got an aversion to older shows that I find really weird. I think she sees the older camera work, that certain type of film, and automatically assumes it's for old people and boring. She'll even agree that they're good shows, but for old people, and not watch them. She's the same way with Kolchak, too.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

She secretly likes the show, though. She'll just never admit it. If I'm watching it, she'll watch it with me. And I know she's invested, because she's getting as many details as she can.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

It's kind of weird watching older stuff and seeing characters smoking. I was born in '91, so I can kind of remember this point where it was going out the window, but it was also visual shorthand for someone being a badass. Like Wolverine, Spike Spiegel, John McClane, the Cigarette Smoking Man, etc.

In older TV shows, seeing someone smoke was normal. Like Columbo, Andy Taylor, numerous film noir characters; it's kind of neat seeing how that's changed over the years.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

JediTalentAgent posted:

You know, along the lines of that, the episode where they question someone at their job and she pulls out a dominatrix/boot fetish routine to force him to divulge information is right up there there, too.

Don't forget the time Stabler brought a fire-fetishist to the edge of orgasm by lighting fires in front of him, just for interrogation purposes.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Krispy Wafer posted:

That's just our lucky number, okay.

Could be worse I guess.

Japanese elevator, right?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

An old korean CG anime from the mid-2000s. The titular character was made out of cubes that could reform into different vehicles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cubix

It was kind of my jam.

What loving time traveling hobo is recommending you TV shows and video games?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

This makes sense since the 47 literally stands for 1947. The year he was created. Making him 71 years old.

Really? I just figured it was a nod to the AK-47, being a little in-joke about an assassin.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

FELD1 posted:

A few years back they did an episode that poked fun at Jared being a pedophile.

In the latest South Park game, he's a boss fight. Who basically jerks off all over your party, who are a bunch of children.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

The TV show based on Disney's Hercules movie actually had James Woods reprise his role as Hades.

From what I've heard, James Woods loves doing Hades enough, he'll do the role any time. That's why he's in Kingdom Hearts, too.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Choco1980 posted:

Seriously, he's a poo poo person that is a far better film presence than he deserves to be.

I'm still broken hearted about finding out what an rear end in a top hat he really is.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

dovetaile posted:

Okay with one exception (although we don't know if they renamed it to Colonel (Reba) Sanders).

Pfft. You fools.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I haven't seen it on TV in forever, but I'm sure the old MTV show Undressed has aged like cottage cheese.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Hell, put it on the CW, throw it into a crossover, and give them a snarky sidekick, and you're golden. If you can get some fans from the DC shows, you'll have six seasons on your hands. Get them with the Supernatural guys, and you'll be crossing over with Scooby Doo before you know it.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I once saw someone describe ToS and TNG as the wagon train to the stars, while DS9 was the Alamo, and I think that's a pretty apt description.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

He was also in Reaper, where he helped his buddy (who worked for the Devil) capture escaped demons.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Reaper was super good and I am really upset it was cancelled. The leads all had really solid chemistry with each other.

And Michael Ian Black as one half of a gay demon couple that started a demon rehab group to oppose the Devil. Ray Wise was an excellent devil, too, being intimidating and menacing without any overt anger.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

You can't say there's creepy fetish poo poo and not elaborate. I want to know, but not have that in my search history.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Why did I even ask. I didn't want to know that badly. I didn't need to know.

I make this mistake every time.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Columbo is really excellent television. It's not a whodunnit, as mentioned before; it's a howcatchem. It's incredible watching some of those smug bastards sweat and panic as this unkempt, raincoat wearing, seemingly clueless man runs circles around their stories and alibis.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

Every doctor I've ever met has talked about how horrible smoking is or how bad junk food is, but then they will slam Russian slum quantities of vodka at a party or write each other prescriptions for oxycontin.

This is more about books, but speaking of doctors and smoking, reading some old novels (Dead Zone is the example that comes to mind) where a doctor just lights up, during an exam, like it's no big thing. I know that used to happen, but it's still super jarring to read about, just like seeing how everyone used to smoke everywhere.

I don't think it's very common on TV anymore, but like someone said, smoking used to be shorthand for someone being a badass or someone not to be trifled with, like the Cigarette Smoking Man on the X-Files. He smoked in Skinner's office like it wasn't poo poo.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

When I quit smoking, one of the biggest changes I noticed was how much better my sense of smell was. And how bad some smokers smell, holy poo poo. Especially if they have a jacket they wear when they go out to smoke, that thing loving reeks. It's such a horrible thing and I can't believe I never noticed it before. If I'm around my mother when she's smoking, the smell can start to give me a headache.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Moloch the demon! He was influencing Dexter the whole time! We learn that in the third book. After that, it's dropped like a sack of bricks and never mentioned again.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Kolchak is still good stuff, though. I got the whole series for like, $17 at Wal-Mart. Easily one of the best purchases I've made there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Given that the Undertaker was supposedly drawing strength from a magical urn as far back as 1990, I'm pretty sure they gave up on insisting it was real more than ten years ago.

Everyone knows it is fake, but they're there for the spectacle of it. It's a show, live and in color, and the audience is looking to be entertained.