Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

pentyne posted:

Chandler had a job making so much where during the run-up to their wedding Monica found out that his savings were insanely high, likely 6+ figures, and she wanted to spend it all on her dream wedding. Even as a kid I remember being shocked that the episode ends happily with him agreeing to drain his savings to fund her big time wedding.

Thinking back, Chandler and Ross were the only ones of the group making real money. As a Professor Ross could've made close to 6 figures depending on tenure or pay, and Chandler was some kind of finance/marketing exec? Joey, Rachel, Phoebe were all basically transients and as a chef Monica probably made a few dollars above minimum wage.

Monica did just fine. See also: The Hootie and the Blowfish episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Everybody on Cheers was a pathetic loser, save for perhaps Woody.

Carla?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

BiggerBoat posted:

What would you guys say are the worst (and best spinoffs)? They have a reputation of being terrible and aging even worse but, upon thinking about it, there's actually been several good ones. For every Joey, AfterMASH, Baywatch Night Joanie Loves Chachi and Flo, there's a Trapper John, MD, Frasier, Jeffersons, Rhoda or Good Times.

I haven't seen Happy Days mentioned and that show has aged like poo poo. The first 2 seasons are pretty great and still hold up - sort of an American Graffitti TV show - but then they made Fonzie, a misogynistic, bullying, high school drop out, into the centerpiece of the show and and turned him into Superman. I can't believe how long that show stayed on the air and, speaking of spin offs, it gave us Laverne and Shirley, Mork and Mindy, Joanie Loves Chachi plus a cartoon.

Also, how the gently caress was Saved by the Bell ever popular? I guess it's the Brady Bunch of its era or something but it's so god damned stupid. Surprised it hasn't gotten the 21 Jump Street/Starsky and Hutch movie send up yet.

Mama's Family
Emergency!
Maverick
Absolutely Fabulous
Empty Nest
Evil Con Carne
Morning & Mindy
Xena
NCIS
Family Matters
Boston Legal

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Saved By the Bell is the gift that keeps on giving:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaS2ULUZWvg

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

If Scooby-Doo guest stars are any indication, standards for entertainment in the early years of TV were amazingly low.

https://youtu.be/yWG_R6SjUNY

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Leavemywife posted:

I'm not sure where else to ask this, but NYPD Blue; why did Family Guy do a joke about Dennis Franz showing someone his rear end? Did that happen on that show? Was showing your rear end an integral part of the NYPD Blue canon?

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Why would an eclipse affect powers? There was an eclipse in episode 1 and it didn't do that. Immortal weeb dude was locked underground for centuries, right? Sunlight doesn't affect powers.

You know what, gently caress it, forget I asked.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Davros1 posted:

Everyone forgets about Brisco Country Jr.

Sho 'Nuff

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Phineas and Ferb was cool and good and aged well, and I was mildly concerned with hem getting any reference in this thread.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
And we're back!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Nobody has ever looked flattering in bronze.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Krispy Wafer posted:

The Conan comics aren't THAT bad. Like the examples I posted were terrible, but they were notable because I hadn't seen such overt racism in the comic. Usually it's swarthy Middle-easterners or sinister vaguely Asian looking wizards, but none of them are stereotyped to their race.

Now that I think about it though, the good guys are always White (or bronzed in Conan's case). By crom! It was racist all along.

This is why I prefer the barsoom series. Just a whole lot of titties and fighting oh, none of this racist bulshit.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

pseudosavior posted:

Beard or not, that guy still has no dick.

The actor also joined a cult that "rehabilitated" him from homosexuality to heterosexuality so.... :yikes:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Samuringa posted:

Is there anything Cosby did that aged well? Wasn't that one of the reasons to make the thread or at least one of the first subjects that were discussed at length?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJX-4yTlWXM

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy9ceTxGYCw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYng9T8EpS0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbSehcT19u0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEA34Nk6skM

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Rirse posted:

I am currently playing Final Fantasy VIII and I remember people like to say post disc 1 is a coma/dying dream the main character is having.

It's a pretty preferable explanation to the notion that it's all played straight.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

BrigadierSensible posted:

This made me think. What was the surname of Malcolm's family in Malcolm in the Middle? Was it ever said?

No. It was a running gag.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

bunnyofdoom posted:

A director got fired for being hoo-booy racist in an early ep?
Code of Honor

Never forget, the writer for that episode somehow wound up on SG-1 and plagiarized that episode to write the worst SG-1 episode.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Shut up Meg posted:

It's a bit more crass that that: the episode is basically a justification for terrorism: saying that sometimes it is necessary and that it can produce the results that the terrorists want.
Broadcasting this in the UK in 1990 would have been hugely insensitive, given what was happening in N.Ireland at the time.

If you wanted to update it for a release today, then you'd have an away party supplying assault weapons to mass shooters.
Then, the bit of moralising by Data to Picard at the end of the show would be 'Ah, I see, Captain. We were right to give extra bullets to those people; after all, without those school shootings, the USA wouldn't have been able to renact Segregation in 2050"

Cue up the Captain Planet episode about The Troubles

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

muscles like this! posted:

It is not a good sign that there are even two examples of this.

Let me tell you about Anime

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Back in the day, all the cool superhero movies were black dudes and it was great.

Spawn
Blade
Steel
Meteor Man
Blankman

Hell, even Harvey Dent was black in 1989.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

christmas boots posted:

So much so that he starred in Rio Bravo, made by an equally triggered Howard Hawks, which is basically the same story but with all the parts they found un-american changed.

Unfortunately for my post, it's also actually really good. Apparently there was once a time where reactionary chuds could do that.

Was Rio Bravo the one he made 2 or 3 times with different actors?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

fartknocker posted:

Yeah. El Dorado is essentially the same exact plot and characters, although I think it was played a little bit lighter/more comedic than Rio Bravo. Wikipedia also says Rio Lobo was the third time that Howard Hawks and John Wayne did the same basic plot, but I honestly don’t remember that movie at all.

Yeah, Rio Lobo was the weakest of them. I think El Dorado is the strongest because Robert Mitchum and James Caan make a better set of partners than Dean Martin and Ricky Nelson. Angie Dickinson and Walter Brennan are great in Rio Bravo, though.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Krispy Wafer posted:

I am having a difficult time thinking of any sitcom or comedy show character who isn't someone you would avoid in real life. Part of the comedy equation is the person has to make terrible decisions and be in continuous conflict with other characters. A really nice and generous person is boring.

I guess Phoebe from Friends would qualify, but she is offset by literally everyone else on the show.

• Red Forman
  • Uncle Phil
  • All of the Golden Girls
  • Dan Connor
  • Mac Robinson
  • Terry Jeffords

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

burial posted:

I’d hang out with the characters from Family Ties.

Same but only Boner

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Calaveron posted:

Norm's whole deal is that while sure he was awful to his wife dude had a magnetic personality and everyone loved being around him
Cliff could be fun to be around with as long as you were two thirds of the way to fall down drunk
Sam yeah was a good friend but you wouldn’t want to be around him if there were women around
Frasier would be my bestest friend

Woody did nothing wrong.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

purple death ray posted:

What was the series that was about a kid and his friend was the ghost of a kid his age who'd died in like the 1920s or something?

Casper?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

NorgLyle posted:

A no good, very bad, post.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
My friends, have I ever told you about how rad Martok is?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

InediblePenguin posted:

other consumer products in the 90s included Will & Grace and Ellen

TNG was 87-94, Ellen started in 94 and came out in 97, Will and Grace started in 98. They were not contemporaries and the public was rapidly shifting at the time.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Krispy Wafer posted:

That was interesting. Sucks how the staff got the axe, but I imagine Ellen was dealing with a lot of poo poo and trying to find her voice. When they mention her brother, who wrote for the show, that's Vance DeGeneres the creator of the 1970's Saturday Night Live character Mr. Bill.

Looking down the Wikipedia rabbit hole for 1995 TV shows, I noticed the short-lived the Dana Carvey Show actually had pretty decent ratings (better than Ellen), but got cancelled after 7 episodes. They planned to make it similar to 50's TV shows where there would be one primary sponsor who would be named in the title. Pepsi got the sponsorship, but pulled it at the last minute so the show ran out of money. Even though Pepsi pulled their money, the first 5 episodes kept the theme going:

The Taco Bell Dana Carvey Show
The Mug Root Beer Dana Carvey Show
The Mountain Dew Dana Carvey Show
The Diet Mug Root Beer Dana Carvey Show
The Pepsi Stuff Dana Carvey Show

The last sponsor was a local Chinese restaurant and called The Szechuan Dynasty Dana Carvey Show.

NEVER FORGET

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfDjnAdczQI

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Len posted:

To be fair that's just American sex ed. They teach abstinence and how if you wait until marriage you'll never get and STD or an unexpected pregnancy. But never any other mechanics of how it works.

Maybe in the Deep South, but that's certainly not the case everywhere (or even the majority).

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, change of subject kinda.

Can we all agree Barney Stinson is a serial sexual predator?

The show itself is pretty clear on that one. It's never been up for debate.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Of course Lion King is the best. It's the most anime of them all.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Push El Burrito posted:

The best Disney movie is A Goofy Movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYhvAIEGI_Y

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'd say gypsy is right there with retard and midget in the "sort of know it's a slur, but don't really care yet" category for Americans.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

BrigadierSensible posted:

My nit-picky pet peeve from Starship Troopers, is that it has Blanche from the Golden Girls wearing cool-arse sunglasses and she is only in one scene of the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zUTfVgbsCE

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWB8ananp_g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Krispy Wafer posted:

What do they do with waste? Is that broken down to make different items from the atoms or do they just say, 'there will always be more atoms!'

Is the consumer consumption system a closed one? Is poop turned back into food or nice loafers?

This page exists. I didn't read it. But it exists. https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Feces