Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I have spent the last three days binging this thread and this slayed me. Thank you so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Anyway I hated Louie CK after that.

On the bright side, at least that prevented you from being disappointed by future developments. Maybe your friend is a time traveler?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Rollersnake posted:

I haven't seen it in years (I just happened to think of it for some reason), but I'm going to assume the "Golden Diskette" episode of Dexter's Lab has really, really not aged well. Even back then I thought it came off as making fun of Stephen Hawking for his disability.

Pretty much all of Dexter's Lab aged pretty poorly IMHO. Is it just me or or is that whole show HIDEOUSLY anti-intellectual? Every episode just seemed about making GBS threads on Dexter for being a genius.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

The show strongly hinted that Dee Dee messed with Dexter because she wanted him to get him out of his labyrinthine and lonely lab so he can interact with people.

The show was less anti-intellectual and more about not being an anti-social shut-in.

I don't understand where this analysis is coming from. DeeDee never seemed interested in getting Dexter to open up and that one episode where he got her to diguise herself as his mom had her mocking Dexter the entire time for him getting inntrouble. The few times they show the other kids at school they are jerks to him with him only having a single friend. I related a lot to Dexter's as a kid since I was also a gifted child who was ostracized and didn't understand why the show kept making GBS threads on him. It feels as if the current backlash against toxic "nerd culture" has now extended to "it was their own fault they were bullied and if only they made a bigger effort to be friendly, the other kids would stop beating them up".

Samuringa posted:

Yea, well, but this is what happens when you go outside

https://zippy.gfycat.com/DishonestPaleDartfrog.webm

And then when he finally goes out side in that ep and says "hey, this isn't so bad", those animals show for real and beat them up. So even if Dexter's does what he's "supposed to" he still loses.

AceOfFlames has a new favorite as of 10:07 on May 9, 2019

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

wizzardstaff posted:

If I had a dollar for every time I forgot which was which...

They are both garbage humans in different ways.

mojo1701a posted:

The handy thing to remember is that someone once tweeted to him by saying that "Stephen is an idiot", to which the crazy Molyneux correted it to "*Stefan is an idiot".

Sounds like a joke I would make.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

purple death ray posted:

God talk about a show that aged like absolute poo poo.

Space Ghost Coast to Coast holds up pretty good, with the exception of how they hit on every single female guest that comes on the show and a few trans/gay panic jokes

This particular one aged well given recent events:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEfo080ryB4

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Behold, the terrifying villain of Highlander: The Animated Series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9M6jEALp8U

Yes, this IS the original audio.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

MrUnderbridge posted:

Ok, now I'm picturing a superhero with a meth problem, regressive politics and very poor decision making skills.

Florida Man?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

David Gerrold posted:

“why does a starship need a lawyer, Gene?!”

Why did this make me laugh so hard?

This should have been the climax of Star Trek V.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The pilot is pretty terrible but that cold open with Rick attempting to nuke the world while stinking drunk is hysterical and the perfect way to show what you're in for with this show.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I find it extremely hard to believe that Harmon will be able to produce 70 episodes period, let alone 70 watchable episodes.

I wouldn't be surprised if we got one or more seasons entirely comprised of those godawful improvised Dimensional Cable eps.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Blast Fantasto posted:

what the hell

I think some parts of them are funny (the Jan-Michael Vincent one comes to mind) but they just go on for FAR too long.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Skratchez posted:

The best Rick and Morty was the trial transcript of that guy who was going for the record of most in contempt of court.

The transcript by itself was hilarious but with Morty-voice as the judge fuckkkk

That was sublime. However, it's a crying shame that the version they uploaded to YouTube had the cursing bleeped out and the only uncensored version is that Comic-Con bootleg. How dare they deny us the magic that is hearing the words "Suck my dick you fuckman" in the Rick voice.

AceOfFlames has a new favorite as of 11:28 on Jun 19, 2019

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Speaking of which, remember the TNG episode where they revealed that Warp engines caused climate change and they vowed to implement a speed limit until they figured out a solution and then they just... never mentioned it again?

I dunno if that aged poorly (they bothered to do something) or PERFECTLY.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

My family is a big believer in the notion of a gay cabal in charge of governments and point to "every show on TV these days has at least one gay person in it" as evidence. When I try to dispute it, it devolves into screaming matches with them claiming I am naive and don't know how the world works.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

purple death ray posted:

And a lot of shows/movies have done that exact thing you describe but it turns out that putting in a minority character at all still gets you accused of "shoving it in people's faces" so like, it's not gonna change unless people actively try to change it, even if they're not very good writers.

My all time "favorite" instance of this happening was one of those Tasty recipe videos where the female chef mentioned her wife/girlfriend (can't recall which) a couple of times and the comments were full of people going "WHY DID YOU HAVE TO MAKE THIS POLITICAL?"

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

Oh my god the ending of Conspiracy, with the bug things that were supposed to be the Borg but for budget issues. His head just exploded and he chestbursts in a pile of gore.

That episode was amazing given that the concept was abandoned in favour of the borg. I laughed so hard when the guy just melted into goo and insects.

Never gets old.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Bogus Adventure posted:

This is a good opinion to have. Also, this dude sold the poo poo out of his death scene:

Edit: Check out useless Pulaski hanging out on the side while energy cloud monster melts this poor redshirt's brain.

"Captain, I sense danger approaching. Replace Wesley with an expendable black guy."

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

I'd love to see a Romulan defect properly to the federation side even in they didn't actually join, simply because dealing with Romulans even for one is really annoying and they were tired of it. In a conversation between two narcissists, neither of them will walk away happy. Just have them call out other Romulans just like "Have you ever spoken to another one of us? It's infuriating..."

Romulans share symptoms of Narcissistic (obsessed with their own worth, difficulty considering others, said to the prone to violent mood swings in their first appearence, either seeming really patient or getting terrifyingly hostile), Vulcans share symptoms of Borderline (because they have to be very careful about their emotions or they get kind of unstable).

There are rumors that in Star Trek: Picard there will be Romulans in Picard's crew since he is no longer part of Starfleet.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Should totally have a grumpy Romulan who's actually pretty nice once you get to know him but when provoked flips the gently caress out and wrecks poo poo like the Hulk.

Hey, I heard Mark Ruffalo is available.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Sir Lemming posted:

Season 2. It's a pretty awful episode, but I liked how everyone's like omg this person is actually a changeling who can morph into a beast that can kill Worf, and Worf is just like lol that owns

The weirdest thing about that episode is how mad Wesley gets once he discovers the girl is a shapeshifter too and starts yelling at her about her "deceiving" him. It has some very heavy and uncomfortable shades of trans panic.

AceOfFlames has a new favorite as of 16:57 on Jul 4, 2019

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Itís weird how every show in tv is now about remarkable people who work with the police. I had the premise of Lucifer explained to me recently, and I wasnít even surprised when I heard that the Neil Gaiman nightclub devil from 90s comics gladly helps the pigs in 2019.

Procedurals are still a thing because it's pretty much the only acceptable way to make a Network TV show that can be rerun endlessly in syndication barely caring about episode order in the age of streaming. And even that is slowly starting to get infected with lame metaplots clearly trying to draw in the aforementioned streaming crowd (the lame ones from Castle come to mind).

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Elfface posted:

How long until we have Superman doing the iconic "Zoom in front of a speeding bullet and be a human shield" thing, but instead of a gangster in a pinstripe suit opening fire on a bank, he's standing in front of a cop opening fire on a black teenager?

IIRC there was a recent arc where Supes really did go up against militarized police. While he was depowered no less. One issue even ended with him in front of a bunch of civilians saying "You are ALL Superman now"

Fake edit: I tried finding the article I read about it and the only thing I could find were reports that Dean Cain is now a police officer because OF COURSE he is.

Real Edit: FWIW the Punisher recently did an issue where Frank chews out and threatens to kill a bunch of cop fanboys of his, complete with skull decal on their car (which Frank rips up).

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-real-punisher-wants-cops-to-stop-pretending-theyre-1836085595

AceOfFlames has a new favorite as of 11:46 on Jul 7, 2019

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

A real police officer, or a 'police officer' the way that Steven Seagal is a "sherrif"?

I'm guessing the latter:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/dean-cain-joins-idaho-police-department/

quote:

Calling Superman: St. Anthony, Idaho, needs you. A small town in east Idaho welcomed Dean Cain, who played Clark Kent in "Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman," into its police force on Tuesday, reports the Idaho Statesman. Cain was sworn in as a reserve officer.
Cain is the second celebrity to join the St. Anthony Police Department. He joins his good friend, "CHiPs" star Erik Estrada, who became a St. Anthony police reserve officer in 2016. Estrada was previously a deputy sheriff in Virginia and a reserve officer in Indiana. The two will work together on Estrada's "All About Kids" task force, which teaches youth how to be safe online. 
Cain talked to The Daily Caller about his new gig and said "real heroes don't wear capes. Real Superheroes wear uniforms and badges and stethoscopes! Real superheroes are members of our military, law enforcement, and first responders. Pretend Superheroes wear capes!" He said his deep respect for first responders inspired him to become a reserve officer. 

He said, "I completely relate to people who will put themselves and their lives on the line to help others who need that help, or are unable to help themselves ... There are certain people who react well in life-threatening situations, and our military and our law enforcement and our first responders tend to be those types of folks."

Hahahahaha

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Plus, because of the Fox merger, Marvel is all set to bring the X-Men back into the spotlight to get that sweet brand synergy. There are also rumors that the current ongoing storyline (X-Man brings the vast majority of Mutants into a Mutant dominated alternate universe while Emma Frost has apparently erased the memory of the existence of mutants from the rest of the world) is hearing up for a reboot concurrent with their introduction to the MCU.

AceOfFlames has a new favorite as of 15:00 on Jul 7, 2019

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Icon Of Sin posted:

The stuff I saw for that seemed more like Steve Rogers was Weapon I, where Wolverine will be weapon X and some of the intervening Weapon [numbers] could show up as villains, and maybe including Hulk and Abomination as Weapons II/III? I forget exactly, and it’s probably still up in the air anyways at this point.

That's for an upcoming comic, not the MCU as was previously reported. Cap being Weapon I has already been established in the comics for quite sometime but apparently they never did anything with that piece of information until now.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I can't stop laughing at the thought of someone MARRYING a person and only ever seeing one side of their face. Not even a half mask or anything. "With this hat, overcoat and never looking straight AT people, I have the perfect disguise!"

Don't mean to detail the conversation but this kind of ties in to something I noticed recently: these days even children's entertainment relies a lot more on actually well thought out and complex plots than it did several years ago. What exactly changed? Did fiction writers suddenly decide to stop treating their audience like utter morons?

AceOfFlames has a new favorite as of 20:02 on Jul 8, 2019

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

hard counter posted:

it's one of the oddities of fiction in general, pleasant people of good disposition and sound principles who usually do what's right are often disliked much more than assholes whose self-destructive beliefs adds situational tension and drives stories forward, often with them at the centre of their own mishaps, and this overall package consequently gives them a veneer of gutsy charisma over any meeker goody-two shoes

it's not inevitable but it'll crop up easy if your narrative loosens

The truly sad thing is that this isn't limited to fiction, I think. People tend to respect "confident" men (it's always men) who take charge and take risks instead of the cautious and the meek. Even if a lot of the time, those "confident" men are just plain assholes.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

Also Riker totally got #metoo'd by the alien nurse in First Contact who helped him try to escape the hospital.

I wonder if anyone has ever asked Bebe Neurith what she thinks of that scene now. Especially since I have vague recollection of hearing she gave some interview back in the day claiming "that was so hot" essentially.

Edit: Speaking of aging:

Those glasses are definitely on the verge of a comeback.

AceOfFlames has a new favorite as of 21:25 on Jul 9, 2019

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Edit: NVM

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Casey Finnigan posted:

They also just suck at having coherent messages. In their video game, the "difficulty slider" changes the color of your skin. Darker skin = more difficult in everything outside of combat, because of racism. That's some commentary, right? Well, the slider is just cosmetic and doesn't change anything about difficulty. So what are they even trying to say?

Didn't they do that again with transgenderism in the sequel?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The one thing I remember everyone being angry at Zach Braff about was him funding his lovely indie movie via Kickstarter.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

purple death ray posted:

I think every Batman movie nails at least one part of the character, even the lovely ones has at least one worthwhile thing that they get right.

Yeah, Batman Forever nailed how crazy Bruce Wayne would have to be while Batman and Robin nailed Bruce's public persona.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Are you surprised? Weinstein produced a lot of movies and TV for decades. The Weinstein Company is still a big deal, even with him gone. It's one of the ways he got away with stuff.

Technically TWC went bankrupt and its assets were acquired but it seems that it's de facto the same company (now called Lantern Entertainment).

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

When did this happen?

Shortly after the scandal:

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/07/the-weinstein-company-lantern-entertainment

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

Worf, Counselor Troy, and Lt. Barclay FFS, and they're all the expansion, War of the Chosen

Denise Crosby (Tasha Yar) and John DeLancie (Q) are also in.

Also apparently Dwight Schultz (Barclay) only voices a random soldier? Wtf.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

By Kevin Smith's account, Willis harbors no illusions about the kind of films he works on.

And unlike Cage, who will genuinely give a performance, seems that Bruce just checks out if it's a cashgrab.

IIRC that was one of the reasons Moonlighting went down the toilet in later seasons. Once Willis hit it big with Die Hard, he immediately thought "I am a serious movie star now. This show is beneath me" and the relationship between him and Cybil Shepard got even worse.

FilthyImp posted:

Yes, but I imagine a lead taking your shooting script and going "nope, nope, oh hell no... yeah ok let's do page 5 to start" would get on any director's nerve.

From what I can tell they pretty much made each other miserable. Smith accused Willis of being an rear end in a top hat diva while Willis accused Smith of being a lazy stoner. Both those statements are most likely true.

My favorite story from the making of Cop Out is that at one point Willis yelled at Smith "I'm Bruce Willis! I've been Bruce Willis successfully for 25 years! How long have you been Silent Bob, motherfucker?"

AceOfFlames has a new favorite as of 20:36 on Sep 14, 2019

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

wizzardstaff posted:

Doctor Who does this. Freema Agyeman played a bit part in one episode and was recast in a lead role a season later. Peter Capaldi was a supporting character in a three-episode arc for a spinoff series, then came back as the Doctor himself. There are other examples too that don’t spring immediately to mind.

And whenever that happens on DW they usually throw some nonsensical lampshading. Don't think they did that with Freema Agyeman but with Eve Myles (who played both a bit character in the first reboot series then lead character Gwen Cooper in the Torchwood spinoff) they added some technobabble about "temporal multiplicity" when the latter and the Doctor met and in the case of Capaldi, he claims he chose the face of someone he saved to remind himself that he saves people for some reason (which was NOT the aforementioned character in the spinoff series, meaning there are at least THREE people who look like Peter Capaldi in the Doctor Who universe)

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

wizzardstaff posted:

Didn’t Martha say she had a cousin who worked in the tower that got taken over by Cybermen, or something like that?

Oh right. Yeah, I think that was it.

I think my favorite dumb Who retcon was when they finally explained why Toshiko was introduced in Doctor Who doing an alien autopsy only for Torchwood to establish her as a COMPUTER genius. Owen (the team's actual doctor) was hungover and sent her to "cover for him". So stupid it's hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Salami posted:

There's one actress who appeared in two episodes of Star Trek as a crewmember. They weren't written as the same character, but someone realized part-way through filming the second episode "Hey, we cast this woman before, we should make it the same character!", but they apparently forgot to re-shoot a line where Kirk refers to her by a different name.

Don't recall an actress but that definitely happened to a male crewmember: the guy who played Lt. Riley in "The Naked Now" (he's the guy who starts singing on the intercom) was later cast as another crewmember in "The Conscience of the King" with the casting people seemingly having completely forgotten that he was in the show before. Once they realized this, they decided to make it Riley again, meaning he's one of the few rando crewmembers to have an actual backstory (since in the latter ep, it's revealed his parents were executed by a tyrannical governor who is currently posing as an actor about the Enterprise)

Funnily enough, I recall reading somewhere that this happened on The Wire of all places. There was some article in which claimed they didn't notice that the kid who killed Omar had already appeared on the show in season 3 until it was pointed out to them.

AceOfFlames has a new favorite as of 11:29 on Sep 15, 2019