Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
George Carlin had a loving sitcom for a year or two in the mid-90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
R. Lee Ermey because the de facto popular culture image of a drill sergeant or NCO type in American media. He voiced the leader of the toy soldiers in the first three Toy Story movies and showed up in tons of other stuff, for example. All the colorful/profane yelling parts of the first half of Full Metal Jacket are obviously the most well remembered parts of that movie, even if it wasn’t supposed to be stuff to be idolized or exactly good given what happened to Pvt. Pyle...

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

No one proudly proclaims “I’m a Charlie” or “I’m a total Frank.”

Because nobody can achieve such lofty status in real life.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Humerus posted:

Are studios forbidden from just using CGI tanks or what? You guys are saying renting tanks is expensive is that like the physical vehicle or are you not allowed to use even the image?

It's often not just the vehicles, but also the people who operate them, and even extras. To give an example, for Black Hawk Down, the studio paid $3 million for eight Black Hawk helicopters and 100 soldiers to use during filming, which included a platoon of Rangers for all the scenes of them roping down, and a few of the pilots who actually had been in the battle (Keith Jones, the Little Bird pilot who lands at the first crash site, plays himself, for example). In exchange for that, the script almost entirely removed the inter-unit rivalry between the Rangers and Delta Force, as well as parts where the Americans just fired into crowds of people, removing Somali women and children almost entirely, and other stuff that wouldn't show the military in a positive light (And included a line about them being denied tanks and heavier equipment which never happened and was never requested :rolleyes:). When the movie was made in 2001 it was pretty much impossible to get access to Black Hawk helicopters anywhere else, so they willingly made some changes to get access to stuff like that.

Basically, the DoD can provide varying levels of support to movie, from full cooperation where they give men, equipment, and nearly anything, to just technical advice, stock footage, or no support at all, assuming it's ever asked for in the first place. It can allow the film access to stuff they'd otherwise never get, such as the helicopters in Black Hawk Down or the F-14s, carriers, and everything else in Top Gun, for which they paid like $2 million (An F-14 was like $37 million at the time and obviously not available privately), but the military has to sign off on the script first. In theory there is a back and forth on this stuff, but you'll also get cases like Platoon where Oliver Stone basically made like one token effort at getting Army support, knew they'd want to change a fuckton, and then went to the Philippines where the appropriate equipment (Namely small arms and Huey helicopters) were easily available and fairly inexpensive to get from the government IIRC without even waiting to hear back from them since he didn't want to make major changes that they'd inevitably request. Another example is Courage Under Fire, where the script was edited four or five times before it was clear the Army would never be happy with the basic plot of the movie enough to give them real Abrams tanks and significant support, so they went and visually modified old British Centurions and did almost everything on their own. Somehow, that movie cost $46 million while Top Gun a decade earlier only cost $15 million, so maybe equipment really is that expensive?

There's also been an industry in foreign countries and militaries who are very willing to provide support to film studios who don't want to deal with the U.S. military. A ton of World War II movies were filmed in Spain, Czechoslovakia, and places like that in the 60's and 70's because they still had a fair amount of World War II-vintage (Or looking) equipment, usually had locations that could work reasonably well, and were perfectly willing to almost literally hand over a menu with prices for tanks, guns, and even soldiers (Price based on rank) to serve as extras for stuff like Battle of the Bulge, Patton, Kelly's Heroes, and various others, and basically had little to no interest or concern of the specifics of the scripts.

There's a really good book on the whole subject of American movies and their relationship with the military called Guts and Glory by Lawrence Suid, which even includes a pretty lengthy list of movies and the level of support they got from the DoD and all sorts of details on how a bunch of movies got or didn't get support, as well the image and poo poo some of them presented.

fartknocker has a new favorite as of 16:06 on Sep 24, 2020

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

christmas boots posted:

Really? I could have sworn he dropped a couple cops.

Lame.

Nope. The only cop who dies fell from a helicopter. He does injure a few with traps in the forrest (And maybe kill the tracking dogs?), but it’s always a neat little bit of trivia that the body count for First Blood is just one, while the sequels have him mowing down enemies by the dozen.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

AceOfFlames posted:

I also recall reading somewhere that in real life SVU officers get rotated out and none of them stay there NEARLY as long as the people on the show precisely so they don’t go this bug nuts insane.

The early seasons of the show (Or maybe just the first?) semi-regularly point that fact out, saying they usually only last 2 years and a few minor characters do leave. Naturally, that doesn’t last long in the show as they just focus on Benson and Stabler for a decade.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

GrandpaPants posted:

The weird thing about Studio 60 was that at the time The Daily Show was way more politically relevant and funnier than SNL. Like I would argue there was an entire generation where TDS was the main source of political news.

There's not really any question that The Daily Show, and with it The Colbert Report, were how a lot of people got their news for a while. The Daily Show basically developed into something during the insanity of the 2000 election, and during the 2004 election season it was drawing higher ratings than a bunch of actual news shows (Particularly among younger demographics). By comparison, I literally had never heard of Studio 60 until it was brought up on the last page, although some quick searching on Wikipedia says it's timeslot mainly had it airing opposite Monday Night Football (In the first year ESPN had it), which fully ensured I'd have never given it a second thought back then.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
My entire memory of Gallagher was his specials from the late 80’s or early 90’s used to be in regular rotation on Comedy Central like 20~ years ago. It’d be the sort of thing airing all day on a Saturday in August, and it’d make for mediocre background noise while doing something else, worth paying attention mainly when stuff started getting smashed. The only jokes I remember are the previously mentioned racist airline joke and one about “You drive on a parkway and park on a drive way.”

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Icon Of Sin posted:

Just like the movie PCU. Speaking of things that didn't age well...(I haven't seen it in ~15 years, but I'm assuming none of it did). It also has some early Jon Favreau (which feels weird after he's been a director more than a star now).

I had to look that up on Wikipedia and it still took me until like halfway through the summary before I remembered what movie it was and that I had actually seen it somewhere in the early 00’s.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

knife_of_justice posted:

Not helped by the fact every female (including the Japanese characters) is voiced by the same white woman.

To be fair, a lot of the characters in those movies were redubbed after the fact, it seemed like a common thing. The same woman, Nikki van der Zyl, did the voices for a bunch of the female Bond characters in the 60's, including the main female characters in Dr. No and Thunderball.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

hawowanlawow posted:

as someone else said, dumb and dumber is totally fine as long as you watch the theatrical version. the extended version is bad

I have never seen anything other than the theatrical version, and I never plan to. :colbert:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

pentyne posted:

The Drew Carey Show didn't age well in the sense it's almost completely disappeared from cultural memory. I don't think it's been re-run or syndicated on a single basic cable network.

For how quickly shows get cancelled in the current TV hellscape, there are quite a few 5-8 season sitcoms that were big while airing that just faded into complete obscurity.

Both it and Spin City hit syndication before they finished their original runs, but I think as soon as they ended both got replaced fairly quickly. Granted, I think both were cases where they were either on local stuff (Like WB/UPN at the time) or weird time slots like real early mornings or late at night. It wasn’t like they were getting that 7 PM window on TBS that was Seinfeld for 15 years and then Big Bang Theory for the last 5~ or so.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

GoutPatrol posted:

Everything that stays in the cultural consciousness from syndication will eventually die out. It will happen to Seinfeld too. I don't think the media world exists in such a way where you can have people watching The Little Rascals and Three Stooges shorts from the 30s up into the 1980s in black and white.

The Seinfeld one has already been in progress for a little while. I mentioned before how TBS had it on nationally for like an hour or two, usually around 6pm or 7pm every weeknight, and even a decade after it ended it was still drawing big ratings for those time slots. Since the show originally ended in 1998, they were basically rerunning it nonstop the entire time until a handful of years ago when they replaced it with The Big Bang Theory. The same goes for a lot of local WB/UPN and CW/MY affiliates who used to air it just as often. Now it’s only aired in the mornings when people would normally be working or very late at night.

Some quick Googling tells me TBS is actually losing Seinfeld to Viacom for Comedy Central and other networks starting next October, which may also be why it’s been scaled back.

EDIT: As an aside, a lot of stuff like the Stooges and Little Rascals and whatnot, while originally from the 30’s and 40’s, had big revivals by being some of the earliest stuff syndicated on TV in the late 50’s and early 60’s. That effectively reset the clock on them, and they lasted on TV for a while, which played a major role in those remaining a fairly big influence well into the 80’s and 90’s. AMC was still running several hours of Stooges shorts (Hosted by Leslie Nielsen) on weekend mornings until the early 00’s, for example.

fartknocker has a new favorite as of 04:38 on Dec 16, 2020

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

I think they're up to six seasons of the new one, and fair enough since I'd imagine it's a really cheap show to make.

It absolutely is. The original ABC run with Drew Carey was on at the same time as Friends, which they joked about a lot, but a big reason the show stayed on was it cost so little to make for the decent ratings it got going up against a massive show like Friends.

As for aging well, from clips I’ve seen on YouTube, most of them have. Obviously stuff like political jokes or contemporary references to the whole Firestone tire thing will date some of it, but a ton of it is still really funny. Comedy Central used to rerun the old British episodes with Clive Anderson as host until the early 00’s, which very often still featured Ryan, Colin, and Greg Proops, and I remember those being much more dated since they had a ton more British political humor in them (So many John Major jokes I’ll never quite understand as an American).

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Yeah, the larger cast was a mixed thing. Some worked out really well, Mike McShane was usually good IMO, but there were definitely some awful ones in there. My memory is that by a point midway through its run, Ryan Stiles was in almost every episode (A quick check of Wikipedia says he was in 76 of the 136), usually with Colin or Greg, and some of those were really good. The other thing I remember, and I don’t know if this was just the syndicate episodes or the way the British ones were originally, but the editing of them wasn’t as good and it’d cut from one thing to another a lot quicker, so games like Scenes from a Hat would basically be one joke for each suggestion and they’d move on, where as the U.S. versions would let them keep going for a while if they all had ideas.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
For The Simpsons, I’m another one who is totally fine with seasons 9-10 at minimum. I think a big reason why season 9 gets a lot of criticism is the episode The Principal and the Pauper, which while a dumb plot (Something the show itself would joke about later) it still is an okay episode. I think both those seasons are far more good than bad, and while they are a step down from previous years, you could make an argument that the Simpsons run from seasons 4-8 are some of the greatest scripted comedy ever done, so there had to be a quality drop at some point. I’m partially convinced one reason why people say season 8 is the last good one is that the original Complete Guide to our Favorite Family episode guide book only covered seasons 1-8, and being able to read summaries and many of the little jokes from those seasons back in the day before you could easily search for a full script or watch it online just further cemented those years as the best for a lot of people.

I also like seasons 11 and 12, and while not every episode is great, and after a quick glance over the episodes in both seasons, I still think there’s a bunch of good ones that I can remember just off the titles or a quick summary. They may not be perfect, but there’s a lot that make me laugh and are enjoyable. By season 13, that’s definitely slipped a lot, and more so by season 14, but by then you’re already hitting the 300th episode.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That and Seinfeld were in syndication back-to-ack hours when I was in high school and it ruled so goddamn hard.

I think everyone’s local WB (Later CW) affiliate did this basically from the time Seinfeld ended and hit syndication in 1998 to the point that FXX gobbled up all Simpsons rights a few years ago. And yes, it was great.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
And since someone mentioned Married... With Children, two big things to remember with it was that it was developed explicitly as the opposite of The Cosby Show, to the point that in development it was called “Not The Cosby Show”. That’s the style of sitcom it directly refuting.

The other, which also applies to the early seasons of The Simpsons, is Fox wasn’t available across the entire U.S. until the mid-90’s. Married... With Children regularly made fun of Fox and how it was basically a UHF station you had to do crazy stuff to get in some areas, so it was almost an underground, cult favorite during its early years. The whole controversy that brought it initial attention was during its 3rd season in 1989. It’s not until Fox acquired the NFL in 1994 that large parts of the country got access to the network, by which time Married... With Children was already going into its 9th season and declining, while The Simpsons was just about to start its 6th.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

RC and Moon Pie posted:

It took Fox a long time to figure out what it wanted to be. By the end of the '80s, it landed on being something subversive. I have tapes from 1987 as well, which promote a number of Fox shows. They seemed to be really high on The New Adventures of Beans Baxter and Mr. President.

Fox only started in April 1987, so it makes sense they had all sorts of crazy poo poo. Married... With Childen and The Tracey Ullman Show were literally the first two shows they aired, and IIRC those two and 21 Jump Street were the only shows from that first year that actually lasted multiple seasons or had any real impact.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Oh and I guess Futurama kind of counts since Leela met Al Bundy(ish)

I mean, :thejoke: being Katey Sagal.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Neo America’s colony is literally a giant star with the Statue of Liberty and a giant flag. And yes, the Statue of Liberty has a secret super cannon built into it.

Most Gundam shows try to be serious war stories, with mixed results. G Gundam is :krad: insanity with an actually solid story behind it, which is why it owns.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Len posted:

G Gundam is way better than Gundam Wing and it's a shame Wing is the more popular one. drat you Toonnami

G Gundam’s ratings were almost as good as Wings when it aired a few years later. The problem was that really didn’t matter because the toy line was awful. Predictably, stuff like the Nether and Mermaid Gundams, and other oddball designs didn’t sell well compared to Wing, or the UC line that had been out between them.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

mllaneza posted:

I flamed out on watching Wing somewhere on the disc with episodes 40-45. I'd watch some, come back a week later and have to start over because I couldn't remember where I'd left off. The third time this happened I just put it away and stopped caring.

From the beginning of that disc or the whole show? Cause the whole series is only 49 episodes...

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Volcott posted:

Just Four.

:golfclap:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

mind the walrus posted:

Can someone who has never bothered to watch much Gundam explain that joke?

The second series, Zeta Gundam, has a character named Four that fits the dead girlfriend role.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Cleretic posted:

If we're just counting 'serious' movies, and excluding weirdo Bonds that even people who like Bond don't really count like Woody Allen...

Bond has Connery, Dalton, Lazenby (who seems to be accepted in Bond Canon), Moore, Brosnan, and Craig. So, six in the core canon.
Batman has Keaton, Kilmer, Clooney, Bale, Affleck, and soon Pattinson. So five, soon to be six.

One thing that’s worth noting in that case is the various actors who played Bond mostly did so over a number of films and years. Connery did six official movies over about a decade, Moore did seven over ~12 years, Brosnan had four over seven years and Craig will have five over 15 years. Keaton, Kilmer, and Clooney can fall into a similar category as the non-Craig versions of Bond, since they were intended to be the same universe but that was still three actors over just four movies in less than a decade, and the latter two of them aren’t particularly well remembered. Mind you, wasn’t a huge deal for any of those films (Bond or Batman) other than some supporting characters.

Craig basically rebooted Bond at the same time Bale was doing the same as Batman, but since then they’ve gone and rebooted the character twice more, first with Affleck and soon again with Pattinson. I think the latter is probably the bigger issue with some of the superhero stuff, particularly when it’s happening so frequently. See also the Fantastic Four movies, and to a lesser extent, Spider-Man.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Jestery posted:

To get persnickety with a bizarre factoid

Connery's final appearance as bond in "Never say never again" was a weird event because it was a reboot staring the original bond as old bond produced by a different production house because of licensing stuff. The story itself being basically Thunderball, which was also a bond flick

It's a weird film from any angle

Never Say Never Again wasn't really a reboot. The short version is the rights to the story and characters from Thunderball (Which was first a movie idea, then a novel, then a movie) got hung up legal battles for years because Fleming didn't originally credit the other guys who helped with the story (When he made it from the original movie idea into a novel), and then when it eventually was settled the guy who wanted to make it a movie still had to wait a bunch of years as a condition of the settlement. Fleming's estate and Eon, the company that produced all the official Bond movies, basically tried everything they could to block it, but eventually it got made by Warner Brothers, which is why it lacks so many of the trademark elements they didn't have the rights to from the normal Bond movies like the gun barrel opening, the Bond theme, Desmond Llewelyn as Q, and so on. This is also why you'll sometimes see clips of it in places like Disney's Great Movie Ride, or why it's not included in most Bond collections or not always shown on the same channels as part of marathons, because the rights for it are different. It came out a few months after Octopussy, but the main reason people remember it at all is because it was Sean Connery back in the role for a 7th and final time, so while it's not technically an "official" Bond movie, it's close enough that it was pretty much treated as one by fans and pop culture at large (Compared to the 1967 comedy version of Casino Royale, which is mostly an afterthought).

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

pentyne posted:

It's like Rick and Morty. Its long running by now but in 10-15 years its going to be another one of those shows most associated with a weird fanbase rather then the actual show.

10 or 15 years? It crossed that point somewhere in season 2 with the whole McDonalds sauce thing.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

letthereberock posted:

Rocky is very similar in that so much cultural reference to it really comes from the sequels. The original is about 90% gloomy and depressing stuff up until the climax.

I guess Rambo as well - if you were to ask any random person to visualize Rambo they are almost certainly not thinking of anything from First Blood.

Rambo definitely fits that as well. The only person killed in the first movie is the cop who falls out of the helicopter (Although Rambo does badly wound a few others with traps in the woods). The sequels are where it turns into him mowing down waves of Vietnamese and Russians by one-handing belt-fed machine guns and using explosive arrows and whatnot.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
I never watched it, but when Fox was promoting it prior to it originally airing, it made me think of the then-new Perfect Dark and I thought they were somehow related.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Yeah, for a few years they did it every August 8th and turn ESPN 2 into the Ocho for the day. When all the sports first shut down near the end of last March, they did it on a Sunday (Which happened to be my first day working from home due to COVID), but then the downside is when they redid it a few times over the spring and summer summer, it was literally the same block with the same shows in order, stuff like a 1999 arm wrestling championship, European tram olympics from 2006, marble racing, cherry pit spitting, and so on.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Rockman Reserve posted:

this episode isn't even available to stream anymore which i only know because about once every year and a half or so I load up Scott Tenorman Must Die and the episode number is weird because it immediately followed the memoryholed manbearpig episode

Those episodes were five years apart and ManBearPig is still aired in reruns on Comedy Central. The episode from before Scott Tenorman Must Die was Super Best Friends, which had Muhammad in it, and that’s the one that got removed from streaming. AFAIK it hasn’t been rerun since the 200/201 controversy about a decade ago.

EDIT: For whatever it’s worth, since I think it came up a page or two ago, I don’t think they’ve reran Mr. Garrison's Fancy New Vagina in years at this point. I can’t remember the last time I even saw it listed in the channel guide among the dozens of hours of South Park reruns every week.

fartknocker has a new favorite as of 17:50 on Feb 24, 2021

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Vandar posted:

They showed that episode last year. My wife left the tv on when she fell asleep and it was on Comedy Central, and when I came to bed that episode began. I uh, had never seen it before (because I don't usually watch South Park), and I was not expecting them to just outright show an actual operation in the episode's opening scene. Kind of a bit much, imo.

It's definitely possible I just missed it, but at least it doesn't seem to be in regular rotation as much anymore. Like, there are some episodes they seem to air every week now like Gnomes, Timmy 2000, Kenny Dies, and Lice Capades to semi-randomly list a few older ones showing on the grid for the next week I know I've seen a ton over the last year or so since Comedy Central seemed to heavily cut back on what shows they actually air regularly.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

BrigadierSensible posted:

But when I first saw this episode I thought that NAMBLA was a thing that South Park made up to make fun of paedos. As in "wouldn't it be funny if a bunch of paedophiles made up an absurd organization in order to try and pretend that they have some respectability." But apparently it is a real thing, both online and in real life, and have legitimately tried to use their lobbying powers to change US laws.

Which is less funny, and more chillingly terrifying.

I think a bunch of had the same reaction at first.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Yeah, specifically it was Temple of Doom and Gremlins in the summer of 1984 that made them look into it. The first movie to get the PG-13 rating was Red Dawn later that year, although I wonder if it’d still get that rating by modern standards.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

DrBouvenstein posted:

Before those...probably the NCIS LA or New Orleans?

NCIS itself came from JAG.

I think some of the Law & Order spin-offs might have done so as well, or at least did several crossovers with other shows to help get the established, like Vanilla and SVU have two-parters split across both shows a number of times early in the run of the latter.

fartknocker has a new favorite as of 17:15 on Mar 19, 2021

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Arivia posted:

You know what else hasn’t aged well? McCoy sleeping with literally all his attractive female assistants. Drop that poo poo (which IS in the court records from that episode Robinette as defense uses it to blow up a case in front of Judge Jamie Ross) and McCoy gets #MeTooed into oblivion.

I thought Claire Kincaid is the only one on the show he actually slept with, although they make it clear he also did with two or three previous ones (One being Edie Falco’s recurring defense character and another ends up as a defendant, IIRC) before his character joins the show. AFAIK, doesn’t sleep with any of them after Claire, with most of them shown or stated to be in other relationships, with a few mentions of Ross setting up McCoy with one of her friends and I think recurring mention of him going out with some history teacher at one point later on.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Sunswipe posted:

Bet you'd have felt differently if you had the action figures.

Winchester looks like Bob Hoskins. Also those own.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Rascar Capac posted:

I always wanted to go to a sci-fi convention, meet Mark Hamill, and tell him that I really liked him in Sam Fuller's The Big Red One.

:same:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

marshmallow creep posted:

I rented a movie once where Mark Hamill has to go back in time and ends up meeting his mother who gives birth to him during the climax but for some reason baby-him is not breathing until the end of the movie when adult Mark saves the day and then he dies and disappears and baby Mark starts breathing because apparently only one version of you can be alive at the same time and the universe knew Mark had saved the day as an adult so it was okay for him to die and become a baby.

Time Runner. I saw it once on cable when I was like 9 and it’s forever burned into my brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
I’m waiting for John Hinkley Jr. to weigh in on this discussion.