Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Vote for Duke!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

lamey_whinehouse posted:

Friend, I invite you to watch BBC + Showtime's "Episodes". it's sublime and absolutely redeems Matt Leblanc.
Barudak was referring to Joey the character in-universe, not Matt LeBlanc.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Casablanca has great dialogue too, like pretty much every scene with Rick and Renault is super witty.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's pretty rare for cartoon adaptations to have voices from their live-action inspirations. Weirdly enough a big exception is Star Trek The Animated Series, which is practically a continuation of the original show with almost all of the original cast.
The two Hellboy DTVs also had Ron Perlman, Doug Jones, Selma Blair, and John Hurt voice their characters too.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah totally:

In the live action movies, Blair is one of the high points, but in these she's pretty low on the ability charts. Then again, her voice is pretty well, normal, while the other three have intensely distinct voices that are part of why they are famous. That said, those two DTV movies are actually really pretty good and I recommend them.
The fact that we will never get the third DTV which would have had Bruce Campbell as Lobster Johnson will never stop hurting. :smith:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Not Operator posted:

I wish comic book movie people would just go hot wild on the most ridiculous comic premises.

Gimme the Red Son movie, Hollywood. Gimme Archie Meets The Punisher. Have Squirrel Girl end the Infinity War.
A Doom Patrol movie could be amazing, but I know DC and Warner would never do it justice.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Choco1980 posted:

Did you ever see the DC Nation Shorts of the original Doom Patrol? They were strangely super accurate to the random "My Strangest Adventure!" issues they were adapting. Clancy Brown played Negative Man, and Jeffery Combs played The Chief.
Yeah, a bunch of those were cool like the Plastic Man and Shade, The Changing Man shorts so of course they never made anything out of them.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Batman Beyond was actually one of the ideas that the suits forced the DCAU crew to make and its testament to their skills that they actually made something genuinely good out of it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

GrandpaPants posted:

The answer to the questions "What is the best episode of Batman TAS?" and "What is the best episode of Batman Beyond?" is the same: The one that introduced Mr. Freeze.

That guy's life loving sucked, goddamn.
"Believe me, you're the only one who cares."

What happened to Talia al Ghul in Beyond was also really screwed up for a Saturday morning cartoon. Ra's killed her, his own daughter, and stole her body.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
What are you talking about, Clock King was rad in a bit of a campy sort of way. They even brought him back in Justice League as part of their version of Suicide Squad.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

NorgLyle posted:

I honestly try not to do that goon thing where you isolate one tiny part of a good post and zoom in on it to 'well actually', but, dude, Bradbury is right there and he fits the A, B, C pattern.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0rgZf35KxU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Ariong posted:

What did Kaufman do, anyway? The people on the street allude to some crack about wrestling women maybe? Perhaps a mysoginistic joke that would have flown a few years before, but not anymore?
They're referring to the time when Andy had a feud with pro wrestler Jerry "The King" Lawler and Andy went full into a wrestling heel persona as an rear end in a top hat that wrestles women twice his size.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uQlB99WCuk

Accordion Man has a new favorite as of 19:28 on Jul 21, 2018

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Iron Crowned posted:

The Mist is pretty much a roguelike.
They made a The Mist game, they just called it Silent Hill.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

umalt posted:

Fake Edit: Been re-watching Venture Bros due to the new season; and on a whole the show has aged great and the earlier seasons are still just as exciting due to the call-backs that are woven into the later seasons. But like a lot of mid-2000's humor there are a few bits of writing that are cringe-inducing, like the number of gags/plot-points where characters being trans is the punchline.
Yeah, the recurring joke early on in the show where its like, "Lol Dr. Girlfriend is probably a transwoman and The Monarch is a gullible idiot to fall in love with her" was pretty lovely but they dropped it fairly quick.

Accordion Man has a new favorite as of 21:06 on Aug 12, 2018

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Calaveron posted:

There was also this recurring bounty hunter villain who was both K's mentor and also able to reform himself like Monk's character if there was oxygen around and they finally get him by blowing him up and blasting him out of an airlock and it looked really graphic
Dude willingly became The Thing essentially, he assimilated all kinds of body parts from different species into himself and got more and more inhuman with each successive appearance. He was the closest the show had to a main villain.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The studio behind the Men in Black cartoon made a lot of shows that were way better than they'd have any right to be, including Godzilla: The Series, picking up after the '98 movie. They were pretty much in the vein of The Real Ghostbusters, building on the movie premise to do some really cool poo poo.
Extreme Ghostbusters was another show that studio did and it was far better than it had any right to be. It was 90's as hell but in a way that actually worked out. The cast was good and the monster designs were genuinely scary for a Saturday morning kids show and were all pretty cool. It's honestly the best thing in the franchise aside from the original movie and is a far better sequel than 2.

Accordion Man has a new favorite as of 08:00 on Aug 24, 2018

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

catlord posted:

What I saw was pretty great. In that weirdly edgy but still kid friendly way. They had an episode with not-Cenobites which was pretty horrifying.
The Not-Cenobites gave me nightmares as a kid, it's kinda nuts that they essentially got away with a bloodless Hellraiser on a kids show.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

SiKboy posted:

Sure its a first season, but for every show that had an iffy first season then got great I can probably name a show that nailed its first season then got worse (Sleepy Hollow, what the actual gently caress man...),
Sleepy Hollow going completely off a cliff after Season 1 just still feels so baffling because Season 1 just go so much right with its characters and writing and it really seemed the writing crew knew what they were doing. The cast were really fun too and they just ended up completely squandering them after Season 1.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Len posted:

I never understood why the internet flipped poo poo over Barb because she's the worst part of s1
Really awkward nerds related to the really awkward nerd and fandom going wild with stuff that wasn't really there. (Like Barb having a crush on Nancy)

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Krispy Wafer posted:

I always thought the actor who played Niles was the nervous sea creature sidekick in HellBoy.

Imagine my surprise to find out it was another nervous skinny white guy actor.
David Hyde Pierce did the voiceover for Abe in the original movie while Doug Jones played him. The sequel had Doug Jones do the entire role.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's krusty homer? The one where he goes to clown school?
Really early on in the show's run there was an idea floated around the writers' room that Homer's job was actually being Krusty, because the crew liked the idea of Bart unknowingly idolizing the dad that he otherwise disrespected when he wasn't in clown makeup. It never left the concept stage though.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

muscles like this! posted:

If you want a bisexual TV cartoon dad there's always Bob Belcher. In the episode where the meat counter guy thinks Bob is hitting on him Bob's reply is "I'm straight! Well... mostly straight."
Bob even openly blurts out that the deli guy is too good for him.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It works with Sunny though because the show acknowledges that The Gang is becoming more and more broken shells of human beings as the years go on.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

The Breakfast Club holds up about as well as it ever did, except for the makeover at the end.
Bender has aged really poorly, just because the movie tries to have him come across as a misunderstood outcast when nowadays he seems more like a school shooter in the making.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Captain Planet was unrealistic because it turns out capitalists are even bigger cartoon villains in real life.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Thanks to the Justice League cartoon John Stewart seems to have more mainstream clout than Hal, but DC still pushes the racist pedophile.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Dr Christmas posted:

Speaking of YA takes that did NOT age poorly, I got pretty far into Animorphs but never finished, but I heard at least one of the main cast dies near the end and many of them end up with PTSD. The series ended before 9/11, but when the author got flak for the downer ending, she responded by talking about how your generation is going to have to deal with that soon, and hoo boy.
The main cast member that died, Rachel's, whole arc is realizing that she loves fighting so much that if the war ended she wouldn't be able to stop killing. She essentially lets herself die because of this.

Animorphs got pretty hosed up for a 90's kids book series.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Wizards didn't get involved in WWII because BJ Blazkowicz already killed Cyborg Hitler.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The show strongly hinted that Dee Dee messed with Dexter because she wanted him to get him out of his labyrinthine and lonely lab so he can interact with people.

The show was less anti-intellectual and more about not being an anti-social shut-in.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Moral Orel starts off as something a 2000's era edgy Internet atheist would poo poo out but then it just changes on a dime to a genuinely great exploration of the hypocrisy and destructiveness of American Christian fundamentalism ending with the exact opposite message the show started off with.

Accordion Man has a new favorite as of 18:00 on Jun 12, 2019

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Absurd Alhazred posted:

With all this Rick and Morty chat I decided to go ahead and watch the pilot. With that and the few later episodes I caught, I think I'm good, thanks. :shrug:
At least watch Bushworld Adventures even if you don't want to watch the rest of the show, coming from somebody that's also not really a big fan.

Accordion Man has a new favorite as of 21:57 on Jun 16, 2019

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Movie John Hammond is a more interesting character too because while he's mainly a kindly old grandpa with a child-like sense of wonder in bringing dinosaurs back to life he still has an unscrupulous side to him where he's willing to cut corners to achieve his ambition which is one of the major reasons why everything goes to poo poo so quickly. In the book he's just a straight up rear end in a top hat with no absolutely redeeming qualities.

Accordion Man has a new favorite as of 16:23 on Jul 6, 2019

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The thing with Punisher is he only really works in a world without superheroes, i.e. Punisher MAX. Putting him in with superheroes just tends to have him fall into the hole of the writers making him badass where he can go toe to toe with Spider-Man or something like that which turns him into a lovely power fantasy when he shouldn't be.

Frank only really works as a monster that can't stop killing so he goes after criminals because that's more sociably acceptable than being a spree shooter. Again, Ennis' Punisher MAX did a quality job at this.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

CharlestheHammer posted:

Also do to the nature of being in that universe superheroes have to just keep letting him go, even if they shake their fist at him with halfhearted disgust
That too.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I like when Archie met the Punisher.
That comic is actually better than one would think.

Archie vs. Predator is also fantastic.

Accordion Man has a new favorite as of 00:45 on Jul 8, 2019

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Gaunab posted:

I stopped watching game of thrones because I didn't really like any of the characters and didn't find the story terribly compelling.
Dodged that bullet.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
South Park is the epitome of the 90's societal tendency of thinking "inequality is over, so stop whining that it actually isn't."

There are definitely still some great episodes as stated but a good chunk of it has aged abysmally.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

purple death ray posted:

I will be the guy who says Sleepy Hollow isn't that bad either, sure Johnny Depp sucks rear end but the atmosphere and aesthetic is extremely my poo poo and it was one of the first movies me and my wife went to.
Sleepy Hollow also did a solid job at what it was trying to accomplish, to be a throwback to Hammer horror movies.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’m pretty sure that Angela Lansbury played the culprit in all the episodes of Murder She Wrote.
Wherever that lady went, people died.
It was the price she had to pay for making that deal with that eldritch horror that lurks off the shores of Cabot Cove to become a bestselling author.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Lurch is also superhumanly strong.

They've always been vaguely supernatural, Thing obviously being supernatural aside.