Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

The Bloop posted:

Those shows are extremely wholesome and there were at least two full seasons of Masked_____ (not counting other countries' versions) that she no doubt saw before she agreed to the show.

Just because those words can be sexual doesn't mean they always are. This is like that King of the Hill episode with that guy saying That's what she said about everything.

Wholesome? Those shows are peak celebrity tv cringe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Blue Moonlight posted:

For the American version at least, if not wholesome, then perhaps inoffensive? It’s like the lettuce of television.

If you compare it to a lot of other “celebrity judging” shows, the judges are always positive and encouraging, contestants aren’t on the show because they’re objectively awful, the “drama” is all playfully manufactured ribbing. The edgiest person to ever even judge there is Joel McHale, the guy E! used to pay to make fun of E!.

The most unforgivable thing about the show is that it gives a mouthpiece to Jenny McCarthy, but I think she and the producers know the gravy train will be over the moment she starts spouting off about vaccines.

That’s fair, at least it’s inoffensive generally. But it’s just so fake and shallow, more so even than celebrities on daytime talk shows.

Reminds me of the Bo Burnham bit making fun of the celebrity lip-sync show: https://youtu.be/yLNuqYgmwS0

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

The Bloop posted:

What exactly is fake about it, do you think? The audience doesn't know who the singers/ dancers are.

Some of the costumes in Singer are emmy-worthy

It's a fun, harmless show. Not everything needs to be masterpiece theatre

The intrigue in guessing which random celebrity is singing, the judges pretending to care about guessing and that they aren’t already generally informed and then pretending to be blown away when someone is revealed.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

The Bloop posted:

You seem to be a cynic to the point of being pitiable

Some things are just fun to be fun and those judges are not all that good of actors to be faking the whole thing. Even if they were though, that has little bearing on the actual audience's experience

Sorry I offended you by answering questions about the bad show you enjoy :shrug:

I’m sure there’s plenty of bad shows you could say similar things about, but lmao that you’re mad about this

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Celebrity Mole was fantastically silly. Erik Von Detton walking through a fake cemetery with Kathy Griffin while repeatedly saying “Oh my god, they killed Kenny”.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Humerus posted:

The Food Network copy of this show, Restaurant Impossible (down to having a British chef!!) was exactly the same. The problem was most of them, by the time the show got involved, were already months and months behind bills, on top of having owners/leadership that had no idea what they were doing. I feel like in later seasons they did better about getting to restaurants in time to save them, but in the early seasons I'd look up the fate of these places and it was almost universally "shut down ~6 months later" with the owner saying that the show helped but it wasn't enough. Or the occasional delusional owner that insisted the show made it worse because the menu was too weird or something.

The early seasons only “successes” were almost exclusively because the owner managed to sell to someone else, and then the restaurant still went under months after.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

the_steve posted:

It's also important to bear in mind that restaurants are loving risky even under the best of conditions.

Very true. I think a restaurant is one of the last industries I’d get into if I were to start a business. This may be influenced by my inability to competently cook anything though.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Eclipse12 posted:

Oh man! Are you guys talking about reality games shows in here? Hell yeah.

The Cell: A handful of contestants are separated into tiny rooms barely big enough to lie down in. Your only form of contact is a voice from an intercom. You're given random, sometimes painful challenges: sit on this bicycle that is missing a seat, endure a steady increase in room temperature, eat these live ants, spin in circles on a bar stool. Sounds easy, right? Well, the first person to quit or fail the competition goes home, but you can't see anyone else's progress. So you might have done 1,000 rotations in the bar seat, but you have no idea of knowing how many other people have done. 1,200? 2,000? You just have to keep going and going...

The White Rapper Show: So stupid but so entertaining. They took it so seriously...

The Briefcase(?): Some game where you had to hide a briefcase full of money. If you could keep it hidden from a group designed to find it, you kept the money. Great for "Here's what I would have done"

The game where you had to go on TV with a lie detector attached [Edit: Moment of Truth] and if you could avoid lying you would win a million bucks. "Do you hate your boss?" "Have you ever had a sexual thought about a cartoon?" "Would you cheat on your spouse if you knew you would get away with it?" One horrible person basically alienated her husband and entire family, saying the most horrible things about them, until she got to the last question: "Are you a good person?" She said "yes" but it was determined to be a lie (way, way deep down she must have known it couldn't be true after everything she just did) so she lost everything. Oof. I'd like to think she was a planted contestant. The show was like watching a train wreck. Absolutely bottom-barrel, but hard to look away. I think it got pulled for being just too dark.

Top Shot: If you're okay with guns as sport and not murdering, this was really fun with some great contestants and fun challenges.

Seconding Alone: Maybe the best survival/reality show ever

Cutthroat Kitchen: Sabotage another chef by replacing their stove with a single candle! Make them prepare an entire dish using only their non-dominant hand! Watch Alton Brown giggle like a schoolgirl as he makes you use sandwich bread that has been sitting overnight in a tank of water!

Bull Run: Cannonball memorial dash (but not really) with challenges and stuff.

Early seasons of The Ultimate Fighter with dumb challenges and lots of house drama

Steve Austin's Broken Skull Ranch: "Don't let go of that rope or you'll fall in my MUD!." "Hell yeah hell yeah oh my God hell yeah what a badass oh no hell yeah"

There’s always Baggage hosted by Jerry Springer. Try to win a date with one of three people - but each one comes with ‘baggage’ that gets increasingly worse. At the end, you must reveal your own baggage to the selected winner and they choose whether or not they’re willing to go on a date with you. Are you willing to go on a date with a man who just admitted he promised his dad he would stay a virgin until marriage? The whole show was similar low-brow garbage and Springer was built to host it.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

indiscriminately posted:

Arrested Development is aware that its characters are hazardous and perhaps irredeemable. I think it can be seen as a dark timeline tragedy. Main character marries a loving partner and escapes the gravity well of a dysfunctional family, partner dies young and unexpectedly, main character returns to the only family he has left and we witness he and his son grow to adopt the selfishness and maladaptive patterns of the family. They were good people and now they are doomed.

Michael Bluth, in addition to becoming worse over time, also I think is shown that he never was nearly as pure as he thought himself to be. From the beginning he derides his family, while engaging in similar selfish behaviors.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

I think I saw two episodes of Dollhouse, can't remember poo poo about it

The first season was good and kept you asking “ooo where’s this gonna go”, but of course that’s the same question that Whedon was asking himself and never bothered answering.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

bobjr posted:

https://twitter.com/treytylor/status/1360661970924556291?s=20

I think this was around the same time Charlie Sheen was on drugs and was threatening his wife and kids with a knife, but was treated as some weird hero for it.

This is infuriating to watch and makes me much less appreciate being in the studio audience when visiting New York during his final year before leaving the show.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

The funniest and most shocking thing about South Park is that the one issue I am aware of the show comes down hard on one-way-or-the-other is pedophilia. The NAMBLA episode goes out of its way to condemn pedophilia.

It's hilarious and surprising in equal measure that being against pedophilia is the one and only firm political stance two guys who are otherwise like the platonic ideal of libertarians are willing to take.

South Park doth protest too much

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Martman posted:

In 8th grade our spanish teacher made/let us watch it... In English, with spanish subtitles. The first scene is a lady giving Ace a bj as payment, and then of course intense transphobia as like, the core of the mystery.

I never watched Ace until a couple years ago, but had always heard the quote “Einhorn is Finkle, Finkle is Einhorn” but never knew the context. Horrifying to finally see the movie and find out it’s not just a funny quote of discovering a hidden identity, but just transphobia as a plot device.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

the_steve posted:

Yeah, isn't the book version of Hawkeye basically a chud?

Hawkeye was based on the writer of the book MASH, Richard Hornberger. He hated the TV version of Hawkeye for being anti-war and liberal, when he himself was very conservative.

Irrelevant side comment, but I inherited a first-edition signed copy of MASH from my grandparents, who were members of Hornberger’s MASH unit and stayed in contact with him after the war.

I’ve heard many interesting and sometimes hilarious stories from my grandparents from their time in Korea, but it’s not surprising at all that basically anything from that time period doesn’t age well at all.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

the_steve posted:

Had a random one earlier.

The movie "Blank Check"
Namely the idea that a mere million bucks would afford you a state of the art super-mansion.

I rewatched this recently and expected it to be bad, but holy poo poo it did not age well.

1) A female FBI agent goes on multiple dates with an 11-yr old in order to investigate his boss and some criminals who stole $1mil (except the boss doesn’t exist, it’s the 11-yr old all along who stole from the criminals). Even though she’s just leading him on, it’s still really weird the whole time. But at the end of the movie, they kiss anyways because, what the gently caress.

2) The 11-yr old hangs out with a creepy limo driver the entire time, who never questions why this kid has money and instead just goes around having fun with him the whole time.

The whole movie takes the kids movie trope of “what if a kid got everything they wanted” and applies the worst possible writing and adds in creepy relationships between adults and a literal child without ever questioning the implications.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

CPColin posted:

Doot my lady
Doot doot my lady
You're my baby shark
Sugar baby

:coolfish:

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Parker and Stone are trash and have always known that they were trash. A few years ago they announced that they were republicans and nobody was really surprised.

I thought they were “libertarians”.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Srice posted:

They finally found the courage to admit they were republicans while Trump was in office.

loving hell, THAT’S when they decided they were Republicans?! Goddamn they suck.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

kupachek posted:

Well, it's the right thread for that scene at least.

I was going to say, “but he got slapped for it and they all got banned from the pool!”, but then remembered that the ending says that he and the lifeguard got married later in life?

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
R&M is a funny show, as long as you’re turning your mind off. There’s no valuable lessons to be gleaned from it, and it would be embarrassing to be one of the people who thinks their personality is “R&M.” I suspect some of the more die-hard fans unironically see themselves in Rick and also think they’re smarter than everyone (except without the genius to back it up). In reality, the only comparison between them and Rick is they are emotionally stunted.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Neito posted:

I definitely had this happen to me the other day. I was bored and digging for background noise while I worked, so I threw on Austin Powers.

It.... yeah. I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned in this thread.

Doesn’t Austin Powers specifically NOT sleep with a drunk girl because it wouldn’t be right?

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Come Fly with Me had the exact same issues - Occasional funny jokes that were drowned by a sea of lovely stereotyping and punching down.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Torquemada posted:

“Five time Academy Award winner Kirk Lazarus, and MTV Best Kiss Award winner Tobey Maguire” is extremely on point for my burning hatred of Tobey Maguire.

What did Tobey ever do to hurt you?

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Sunswipe posted:

What was good in 2?

“Carefully, he’s a hero”

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Nickelback is one of those bands that always mistified me. The meme has always been that everyone hates them, even during their hayday in the mid 2000s, but they are probably hall of fame levels of popular. Someone has to like it but who? I have personally never met anyone who has had anything good to say about Nickelback but by all metrics they were extremely successful.

Rockstar is fantastic, in that it sounds like a parody of the most boring rockstar song ever made. If you told me it was Bo Burnham’s parody of lovely rock music, I’d absolutely believe it. Instead, it was made in earnest by truly one of the most aggressively mediocre rock bands to ever exist.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
The new Disney movie, Luca, is about a homosexual couple. But it’s only heavily implied through metaphor and never explicitly said, so as to not ostracize homophobic viewers and families.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
It’s the same issue with Home Improvement - Tim is constantly dunked on for his toxic masculinity and almost every lesson of the episodes is Tim learning to be a better person, which are generally forgotten by the next episode. But audiences takeaways, including Tim Allen himself, were somehow to double down on toxicity…

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
I enjoyed a couple episodes of Kimmy, but it quickly got old and cringey. It’s also been so long, I can’t remember much of it but wouldn’t be surprised if I couldn’t make it far into a single episode on rewatch.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Arivia posted:

I think Steve's explanation of the sewer orgy makes sense, it's a bunch of teenagers trying to make sense of themselves and their relationships under incredible stress. Is it normal? No. Is it hosed up? Yes. Does it make sense in the context of a horror novel with a bunch of warped relationships? Yes.

Ok…but the situation and it resulting in a literal child orgy are all decisions made by Steve. He’s not a 3rd party watching the events of the book unfold.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Toshimo posted:

He went full born-again, refused to do the Friday sequels because he didn't want to promote weed, and got real weird.

Just wait til people hear about his co-star’s stances, especially on weed.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Seeing lineups for cable tv shows is just 95% copaganda these days. No wonder boomer parents react so harshly when a teen says ACAB, the only media they consume is pro-cop.

For real though. Just watching crime fiction, you’d think everyone who works in criminal justice are miracle workers who can magically solve every crime while protecting the innocent from the constant threat of common criminals, crime lords, and serial killers.

Which is funny, because boomers also love watching true crime. And those consistently show actual investigators to be incompetent, short sighted, and even corrupt even when trying to be copaganda.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
I love that Psych has a constant plot point that no one can find out Shawn isn’t psychic, or else he could be arrested for fraud or something - As if the cops aren’t the real frauds for even believing that crimes can be solved by being psychic. And that the reason he had to pretend to be psychic is it was just totally unbelievable to the two head detectives that someone could solve crimes by being hyper observant and finding clues at the crime scene.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I liked that show when I watched it, but mostly I like Tim Roth. Even back then I was pretty certain that the "science" of the show was absolute dogshit, since as an autistic person pretty much all of my social facial expressions are learned and maintained via explicit effort.

Basically what I took from the show - I enjoyed it well enough, especially for Tim Roth, but also laughed every time they showed a criminal making a micro expression and then flashed through famous examples of that facial expression. I think Bill Clinton’s pouting face was used as an example a million times lol

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
His entire role in Elf is to have dwarfism be the punchline for Will Farrell’s character thinking Dinklage is an angry elf. I’m not sure how seriously I take his criticism of a random fairytale. It’s definitely dependent on Disney’s execution and use in the movie (e.g. Wizard of Oz vs. LOTR) and not just the existence of the movie.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

This article has aged worse in its <1 day of existence than The Mummy for how horribly the article is written (and how bad of examples the author gives). The writer should probably find a new job.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
DC has bat nipples, and I don’t think Marvel can ever live up to that standard.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

And yet every time the movie gets mentioned, goons scuttle out of the woodwork to defend its themes :sigh:

It reminds me of that comedy sketch about the guy making a friend watch an old movie he hadn't seen since he was a teen and had totally forgotten how trash it actually was.

Only, replace 'blatant homophobic and rape' with 'blatant homophobia and eugenics apologism'.

There’s some funny gags in the movie, especially visually (St. God’s Hospital, Starbucks does sex work, like ‘full body lattes’, the massive size of Costco, Fudd Ruckers slowly becoming Butt Fuckers, etc.) which I think initially allowed the movie to gain popularity. Unfortunately, the rest of the movie has aged so horribly/was always straight garbage if you gave it more than 2 seconds thought, while continuing to be referenced for the worst reasons.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

christmas boots posted:

Deckard is not a replicant and I will die on that hill :colbert:

Time to die.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Gladiator was fun and still has a couple iconic scenes. Don’t really need much else from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Alhazred posted:

Counterpoint: It's not even Bay's best movie and every character is completely unsympathetic, even the victim who pretty much deserved every bad thing that happened to him according to the movie. The Rock seems like he's having a fun time though.

IIRC the numerous people involved in the story or related to victims IRL were very upset at the movie for turning the murders, kidnappings, and other criminal behavior of a full-out gang into the comedic shenanigans of a few bumbling idiots, all while portraying many of the victims as less sympathetic than the gang.