Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

lifg posted:

I'm starting to think that pedophilia was just way more accepted in the recent past than now.

I mean, this was acceptable at one point (magazine ad, work safe) https://thesocietypages.org/socimages/files/2008/11/2827376480_4db0294b1d_o.jpg

That is a pretty sad fact, but yes. Though, I think it was less pedophilia specifically, and more the super hosed-up way society viewed male and female sexuality and the issue of consent. Basically, if you talk to somebody in your grandparents generation, especially when they lived in a more rural area, you will get an depressing amount of stories about grandfathers and uncles who got "a little grabby" when they were drunk. Hell, the whole redneck incest stereotype persists till today. But the truly terrible thing is how normalized the whole thing was, in a "men will be men" kind of way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Mister Kingdom posted:

My favorite US sitcoms like MASH, Cheers, Frasier, etc, could have easily been halved and still not have lost anything.

With longrunning US sitcoms, it is a better game to see how often they repeat a basic plot structure, or how often a major character learns the exact same lesson.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

WampaLord posted:

The main problem with SVU is that it glorifies police brutality. Stabler does a ton of terrible poo poo to suspects and the shows justifies it with "Well, they're a pedo, so it's okay."

That is literally every procedural ever. Even something as light hearted as Brooklyn 99 has lines about how evil defense attorneys are and subjects being routinely questioned without their lawyer present.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I think every sitcom has the funny unlikeable comedic relief who the writers try to turn into an actual character as seasons go by.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

CannonFodder posted:

"Administration said we need to cut costs, starting with the highest cost department."
"What department is that?"
"Pediatric Oncology."

A medical show centered entirely around the billing department of a hospital.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Casey Finnigan posted:

What the hell is the reasoning behind using the word "fanfiction" if you're referring to the actual shows themselves. Just say they jumped the shark like everyone has been saying since the dawn of time.

My dad loves House and has watched through the entire series maybe four times and it's definitely because he sees himself as the air conditioning repairman version of House.

Fanfiction doesn't really introduce too many original ideas, since it is written by and for fans, so you have to stay incredible close to source material. As a result, the vats majority of fanfiction tend to be incredible self indulged and self referential, as the authors can only really recombine already existing elements, with maybe one or two twists thrown in. And that is actually a fate that a lot of shows end up suffering, especially long running once with a very limiting premise, like Scrubs.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
The entire sentiment of „uhhh why do environmentalists have to be so preachy“ has aged badly, as clearly, they weren’t preachy enough.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

CharlestheHammer posted:

Because it really doesn’t AOT couldn’t be more anti fascist. It honestly is so unsubtle it hits you over the head with it and can get insanely tedious. From what I’ve seen people that say this are just getting their info from out of context panels that thrive on online outrage. Though like I also said this take is literally years old and died a long time ago.

It’s the equivalent of saying American History X is about how cool Neo Nazis are

Isn't one (positively portrait) character based on an Imperial Japanese Army General?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Blood Nightmaster posted:

I didn't realize bringing up Bridget Jones would eventually morph into AOT discourse, that's pretty funny. It also feels vaguely familiar. Has the series come up before in this thread or am I remembering discourse from a different one?

Same, the exact same arguments too!

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
TSCC had this really cool scene of a SWAT team vs a Terminator hiding in a motel, that they didn't film, probably due to budget constrictions and as a result, it just shows their body hitting the hotel pool one by one. It was actually much more disturbing than showing the fight, as it conveyed some pretty dreadful sense of futility.

Found it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWZFkPiFlkE

e X has a new favorite as of 21:08 on Mar 15, 2021

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

AceOfFlames posted:

Admittedly, I know very little about music licensing costs, but was shooting the scene really THAT much more expensive than getting the rights to a Johnny Cash song? Or were they going to play it during the never filmed fight (which would probably look silly as hell)?

Neither do I, and the cost-saving mature thing is only really something I heard on the internet, so :shrug:

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

ilmucche posted:

So she can sell the exact same song as long as it comes off a master that she's made? There's got to be some real weird copyright/songwriter fuckery going on there to end up in that situation.

Is where those NFT things people are going about came from??

Iirc, there is a difference between the song, basically the intellectual property, and the recording, the physical representation. So Taylor Swift can freely decide to re-record the song or give permission to other artist, but if you want to use the existing music, you have to go through the owner of the master tapes. And since all existing copies, digital or otherwise, come from those tapes, they are all bound to it.

It’s the same with most classical music. Since the songs are public domain, anybody can play them, but that doesn’t mean that any specific recoding is free to use as well.

edit: or like with olds books. Sherlock Homes is public domain, BBC‘s Sherlock isn’t.

e X has a new favorite as of 01:24 on Mar 18, 2021

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The loss of all movies except for micro-budget comedies and million-dollar spectacles is more a function of what hollywood is willing to produce than it is changing tastes, imo. Other kinds of storytelling have moved to the platforms that will allow them to exist.

It’s also not the first time it happens...

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I think it had also a lot to do with how absurd a lot of Barney‘s various schemes were. Lying about being a secret astronaut who had been to the secret moon or that you are a time traveler are just incredible weird and create an unreality that disguises the rape logic behind it.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

bobjr posted:

I’m pretty sure there’s at least one episode where Ted or some other character is mad at Barney because he does something bad like sleep with a family member or friend using manipulative tactics, and their response is “I didn’t think you would do that in a way that would affect me”

Barney aggressively hits in Ted‘s sister and mother and it is heavily implied that he slept with both.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I really used to like HIMYM and I still think they have some pretty clever episodes, especially in the earlier seasons. The characters were never anything special, but I do love some nonsequential storytelling and they did play a lot with the usual sitcom structure.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
One of the weirdest episodes is the one were Robin's teenage sister visits New York, with the intention of losing her virginity to her boyfriend on the trip and then Robin drags her into the Empire State Building and has her adulterous, mid-twenties friends convince her that it is better to wait.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
HIMYM is a really good example how it is okay to sometimes just let stories and when they are done and not when the ratings have declined too much.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Krispy Wafer posted:

I don’t know this much about good shows…like Scrubs.

Scrubs had a very similar problem were they just ran out of plot and started doing weird rear end poo poo no medical professional should have the time doing and turning the main character into an unlikable douche because of his dating life.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Asterite34 posted:

"Spoilers" as a concept were invented by the studios to keep word of mouth about dumb plot twists from rapidly spreading and depressing opening weekend turnout.

Debase yourself and face to bloodshed

It's the same for leaks. The industry somehow convinceda huge number of fans that watching leaks is somehow "disrespectful".

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Everybody says the Joker is the best Batman villain, but nobody can name more than two good stories with him.

And the Killing Joke really isn’t all that great

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Brooklyn 99 still uses the general ideas and plotlines of other show have established. When the main character dates a defense attorney it's very much treated as a betrayal and in at least one episode they arrest a known jewel thief on zero evidence and then have to scramble to get the evidence/a confession out of him before they have to release him. When they actually do manage to proof he was involved at the last second, it's treated as a huge win.

Not to mention the general trope of all crime shows, that every suspect keeps talking to the police without a lawyer present! Which is of course necessary for the plot to happen, but it still helps to push the idea that it is reasonable behavior. Then there is also the problem that being arrested, or accused, by the police is shown to actually be the same as an actual conviction by a court. Even if the police managed to find "ironclad evidence", you really shouldn't just blurt out a confession. Half of Colombo's cases probably wouldn't lead to convictions, since his theories are quite often without solid evidence. The problem is really less any given show in particular, but the general conventions and tropes of the entire genre.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I used to really like The Closer, and I still say it’s one of the most well crafted shows on middle cable (TNT, I think? So not HBO level, but not “tried to air a Hannibal series on NBC,” either). In terms of storytelling, it does a lot of really cool things, and it likes to put clues to solving the crime in various places and…doesn’t point them out at all. If you were paying attention, you might notice the SUV owned by the parents screaming about their kidnapped daughter has two child sized stick figures, but they don’t mention their second kid til the 3rd act, and that ends up being the key to unlocking the case.

But holy poo poo, I can’t watch it anymore. The entire THEME is “badass cop lady gets confessions when no one else can!” It’s literally a documentary on all the ways cops will try to coerce or otherwise trick you into pleading guilty to avoid trials.

I miss all the character interactions, and watching how they put the show together really fires my storytelling neurons hard, but it makes me too angry, knowing what I’ve learned about life in the meantime.

I loved the Closer and I have the exact same feeling. At one point she literally impersonates a suspects lawyer to get information and hand waves it away with the reasoning that she never actually said she was his lawyer. (She just implied it by her actions and said nothing when he ask). It also has an arc where she faces disciplinary action or a law suit due to her methods and it is about as toothless as the SVU one.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

pretty soft girl posted:

I've also been watching seinfeld and my favorite aged joke is when Kramer says Jerry's last set has been getting bad reviews on the internet and the laugh track goes off

That was it, that was the entire joke, I had to remind myself that in the 90s treating anything internet related with credibility was funny in itself (it should have stayed this way)

I think there was a similar joke on the simpsons where a fancy upscale private school having a website was considered a sign gag

I wonder if that is a recurring trend. Are there any episodes of the Dick van dyke show that make fun of the VCR?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Brooklyn 99 has a couple of those, like treating defense attorneys as the scum of the earth or having an episode centering entirely around holding a character for 48 hours without any evince, due to the main characters gut instinct. The main conflict of the later episode is just that Jack is depriving his fellow officer's of their weekend and their race against the clock to nail the subject and not that he imprisoned a man based entirely on prejudice. Thankfully the final minutes of the episode actually show that the guy was indeed guilty, and thus our hero was in the right the entire time.

Stuff like that is why the final season rings entirely hollow. The do try to address the inherit problems with trying to reform, an institution like the NYPD, but they are still excluding the main characters or the way the narrative of police procedurals themselves is part of the problem. The result is a pretty joyless experience with huge tonal problems as they shift from the goofy plots they used to do to the character's struggle with the realization that their fight for justice within the police is incredible futile.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Thomamelas posted:

Yeah. The last season didn't land very well. It's heart was in the right place but the reality is the need for police reform is just not great source for comedy.

Totally. Apparently, this was an important aspect for the actors, who felt really unconformable continuing with the show as was, but it did created some odd discrepancies. It's nice to see a character actually making a choice and quieting the force instead of being part of an abusive system, but at the same time, it feels kinda hollow when it is the same character of whom a major part of her characterization was that she is a aggressive Cowboy cop prone to violent outbursts. Actually looking back at their own show and examining how even their silly work place comedy helps to perpetuate tropes that are part of an harmful narrative about the role and look of actual police work would have worked a lot better than bringing in a new, corrupt police union character as representative of a broken system. They didn't need a new character for that, they really already had plenty of material for that.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Waste of Breath posted:

As a child I always wondered how companies picked a serial number/ID number/registration key/license plate scheme/etc format that would be large enough to encompass all possible future user expansion. What's the magic number? 10x more than you expect to ever sell? 100?

Its hilarious that the answer in at least one circumstance is "they just didn't".

The world actually ran out of (the original kind of) IP addresses in 2019.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I saw the cartoon first and I remember that I was horrible disappointed the first time I saw the movie, since they were all old and ugly (to 8 year old me).

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
How many of the earlier generations of SNL stars kept their reputation?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

duck trucker posted:

Chris Farley

And their lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
The ending of that arc sadly completely drops the ball on that front. I mean, the fight versus Brianiac-Luthor is awesome, but theme-wise it makes no sense and it never solves anything but some very vague notions of structural change.