Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

FutureCop posted:

And here are Marvel villains Magneto, Doc Ock, and even Dr.Doom crying over the disaster:

A cursory glance seems to show that the reception felt it was incredibly ham-handed.
I think they ultimately retconned that into being a Doombot and not actual Dr. Doom because they were like "yeah, there's no way the supervillain cries about that". Or something equally second-level dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Lord Hydronium posted:

24's series premiere, which aired in November 2001, featured a 747 being blown up by a terrorist. The only change actually made as a result of 9/11 was cutting out the onscreen explosion and having it happen just off-camera.
MGS2 came out in 2001 as well. They had to cut parts of the scene where Arsenal Gear crashes into NYC and one of the shots of ruined Federal Hall afterwards.

And there's this great Snopes page about The Coup's cover art that had an exploding WTC in the background, done in June 2001 and scheduled for release in November:

quote:

I came up with the idea with the photographer. We took the pictures on May 15, and we were done with it by the beginning of June. Any similarities are totally coincidental, and it was originally supposed to be more of a metaphor for destroying capitalism — where the music is making capitalist towers blow up. The politics of the Coup have more to do with the people organizing each other.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mu Zeta posted:

Doug sucked because Nick just played the same 3-4 episodes and nothing else. I've seen the one about the Super Pretendo, the Nematodes, and the one where he starts a band so many times but can't recall anything else.
It's weird, I agree that they only ever played a few episodes, but for me it's that band one plus three others; namely, the one where he wants to be a ventriloquist, the one where there's a bomb in the lasagna, and the one where his sister is afraid of parallel parking.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Krispy Kareem posted:

The problem with Jack Black is for every one Tropic Thunder there's 3 Gulliver's Travels.

I have to be reminded he's really good because he's so often just bleh.
He was great as the raisin pusher in the rock opera episode of Clone High!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

BiggerBoat posted:

HIndsight reveals a lot about where a culture was within a given timeframe. 10 years ago, it was acceptable to call other goons "faggots" and even now people repeatedly refer to this place as a "Dead GAY Comedy Forum"
In fairness, that's a quote, right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMroWnWIqs0

BrainDance posted:

All That is mostly a pretty cringy comedy now.
I always wonder what happened to Lori Beth Denberg. Sure, most of her characters were based around being "a fat woman who is loud and annoying", but she was genuinely good at that from a child perspective. Probably didn't age well.

edit: wondering if Heathers had aged well led me to the Wikipedia page which led me to this:

quote:

Daniel Waters wanted his screenplay to go to director Stanley Kubrick,[8] not only out of profound admiration for Kubrick but also from a perception that "Kubrick was the only person that could get away with a three-hour film".
Now that has not aged well.

DACK FAYDEN has a new favorite as of 21:03 on Sep 7, 2017

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

loving american audiobooks calling solder "sodder" makes me want to die
wait what the gently caress how do you Brits(?) pronounce solder

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
:thejoke:

I figured I was 10% to get a real answer and 90% to get "solder".

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Choco1980 posted:

Which brings up an interesting discussion...if regular space travel becomes privatized, as it definitely is very near, does that mean space will count as international "waters" and yes, you can just claim any old rock floating around as "yours" to have whatever laws you choose?
There's already existing convention on Space Law, actually :eng101:

In short, no WMDs, no military bases, and no government can claim an entire celestial body, plus you're responsible for what you do... but the current space law does not account for individuals, so.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Following this one down the rabbit hole (because I wondered why I had never heard of something this lovely) I went to Wikipedia, then to its one cited source, and it's even weirder than I'd imagined:

quote:

In the end, it's discovered that the top levels of Japanese government have sold out to the Jews that took over America, and having successfully plundered Vietnam and Iraq for the sake of money, these Jews are going to turn Japan into Asia's nuclear waste dump.

Yes. That makes no sense, is patently anti-American, anti-Semitic, ethnocentric, Japanese imperialist, vile, and above all, dumb. But that's okay. The subtitle track on Manga Video's DVD tones this down a bit and the dub does away with it entirely. Us evil Jews Americans would never know the difference!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Aesop Poprock posted:

That was a thing? wth
It's amazing, because every instance of "gay bar" is uncensored obviously so the second verse is

Let's start a [bleep]
Start a [bleep bleep]
AT THE GAY BAR GAY BAR GAY BAR

oh and the only censored version I've heard uses a whip crack for the censorship noises which is also funny:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IslF_EyhMzg&t=34s

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Goddamit! Well, how about this one:
I genuinely think this is one of the catchier Beatles songs and I hate that it's also creepy as gently caress.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Wheat Loaf posted:

Another fun fact: Steinman was at one point asked by Andrew Lloyd Webber to write the libretto and help with the score of The Phantom of the Opera because his original vision was that it would be this really over-the-top rock opera. Unfortunately, Steinman was busy producing Def Leppard albums at the time and by the time he was available, Lloyd Webber had decided Phantom would be less rock-focused and more classical.
I absolutely would have gone to see that versoin of Phantom.

(also username makes post)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Tiggum posted:

It's one of those books that people say are brilliant and hilarious and I just don't get it at all. Along with A Confederacy of Dunces and The Man Who Was Thursday.
Genuinely surprised by Confederacy - as the ur-goon myself, I instantly recognized it as a book about a goon who lives before the internet.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It's tiggum, though. If there were dosimeters for obliviousness we all would have hit the lifetime limit after being exposed to a year or two of his posts.
Failure to read username failed to make post, my bad :(

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Inescapable Duck posted:

Pokemon not obeying you is something that barely ever shows up in the games unless you abuse Rare Candies or something given the level ranges of those badges... though traded Pokemon are more prone to it. Which is probably the intended purpose of the mechanic, to discourage players from trading an overlevelled Pokemon to steamroll the game with. (doesn't stop you from generally being able to steamroll the game by overlevelling your starter)
Fun fact: obedience is only relevant to traded pokemon in-game for all seven generations, you can't overlevel any pokemon that have you as their Original Trainer :eng101:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

umalt posted:

Untrue, my first Pokemon game was Silver. And since I was an idiot kid who didn't know about HMs, I grinded the first pokemon I caught (a Pidgy) to get it to learn fly as quickly as possible. It literally was the only Pokemon that I used in battle, and after a while it became disobedient until I beat more gym leaders.
I mean, I'm literally going off Bulbapedia and they're pretty explicit about it, but it's been long enough I could be wrong?

They're pretty explicit that gen 2 only applies to outsider Pokemon, though.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

grittyreboot posted:

So I got Venture Bros. Seasons 5 and 6 for Christmas. I haven't watched the show in a while but my memory of Shore Leave being camp gay was relegated to being just part of his character and maybe an occasional joke.

No. Literally everything out of his mouth is him hitting on his straight coworkers and being Faaabulooouuus. It gets old quick.
At least he ends up in a committed relationship with another guy who's really into him :kimchi:

(Which doesn't really excuse his poor treatment in the early episodes.)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Wheat Loaf posted:

For that matter, who even remembers Dan Quayle?
Is he still the lowest-score-rank name in Civilization games? That's honestly probably his most enduring cultural legacy somehow.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Straight White Shark posted:

look at the fuckin nerd goin to the R movie with his mom
I can sympathize because I was young enough that my dad had to take me (and my friends) to Snakes on a Plane

in hindsight I don't know why he would do that but I am grateful

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

trickybiscuits posted:

This was Troy, New York, before the city started getting all gentrified and I find it pretty believable. (My dad did his post-doc at RPI and when my mom first saw the city she cried. Then she found out that all the other wives of graduate students also cried when they first saw the city.)
I once heard Troy described as "the armpit of New York" and that description has stuck with me for over half my life.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

BioEnchanted posted:

for example the Watch (this paragraph describes part of the plot of Night Watch) understand that impossible things are easy to make happen if you remember that 1 in a million chances happen in the Disc 9 times out of 10 - those are the figures. So in one book when a member of them needs to make a difficult shot that has a 1-in-a-hundred chance of hitting the required target they tie a hand behind his back, make him face the other way, blindfold him and generally engineer the situation to be precisely a 1-in-a-Million shot to make sure the Disc lets it happen.
That was in Guards! Guards! actually :eng101:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

CommonShore posted:

Some of it has aged extremely well. 50% of their interactions with women result in them having the poo poo kicked out of them for sexual harassment, often by the women themselves: the most biting part of the whole thing is that they never learn their lesson.
Related: Beavis Was The Wokest Bae

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
This is blowing my mind because it's like those pictures that are off in some subtle way

also I'd love to read postmortems of these things y'all are saying without sources

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Flinger posted:

Looked this up and it's called "Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles". What started this trend of "Rise of [thing]"? Rise of Cobra?
I feel like Rise of Cobra was not big enough and I'd point to The Dark Knight Rises, but that's 2009 vs 2012 so it may well have been GI Joe somehow.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Choco1980 posted:

The only plot i remember from War of the Worlds was an episode where they used music with subliminal messages to brainwash humans to their side. It was a weird show.
Man, those old Tripods books did that too - they had a TV show with subliminal messaging to make children want to be ruled over by alien spaceships.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Garrand posted:

In universe the 47 stands for the fact the he's the 47th clone. Also I guess not technically a clone since he's made up of the DNA of 5 different people and isn't actually genetically identical to any of them but I don't know how you'd define that.
Depends, did he get the dominant genes or the inferior recessive ones?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Well he was certainly one of the terrible children.
Solid and Liquid were created by the barely-explained "Super Baby Method", which involves letting a fertilized egg divide into eight, then killing six of the eight to... make the other two more super. Maybe to get extra copies of the dominant and recessive genes or something. Who knows? Maybe the exact same thing happened to 47.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Straight White Shark posted:

I dunno, I think the first decade of Dilbert holds up pretty well (the first few years are kind of bad, but a different kind of bad than what Scott Adams is known for these days.) Early on Dilbert is meant as more of a lovable loser and is usually the butt of the joke; his supposed intelligence is used to contrast how clueless he actually is and he frequently gets outmaneuvered by people less "smart" than he is. It's only later that Dilbert started being a smug rear end in a top hat.
The side characters took a little while longer than that to start going downhill, but I guess that might be my irrational love for Wally speaking.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
There's an episode of Whose Line Is It Anyway? with special guest star "seven Loyola Marymount University cheerleaders" and it was probably super creepy even at the time but I hadn't seen it before 2018 and wow.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Even the Flintstones got into that eventually with the Great Gazoo. (and not even getting into some of the loving bizarre spinoffs that show got. And the show's finale movie was Moonraker with caveman technology)
Yeah, what the hell was the deal with the Great Gazoo?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Alhazred posted:

Did the show explain why the devil would care about solving crimes?
hey everyone gets bored eventually

(I assume this is not the real reason)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

FactsAreUseless posted:

All of the 90s-2000s Warner Bros. DC shows are good. Batman, Superman, Justice League, JLU, Young Justice, I forget the others. JLU and Batman are especially great.
Teen Titans also aired on WB Kids but I don't know if it was actually one of them but it was drat good

(the original 2003-2006 one, I don't have an opinion about the new one because I don't really watch TV anymore but I know it's polarizing to idiots)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Remember that time Google digitized literally twenty-five million books but whoops, turns out copyright laws exist?

relevant quote:

quote:

It’s been estimated that about half the books published between 1923 and 1963 are actually in the public domain—it’s just that no one knows which half.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Peeny Cheez posted:

And the whole "go and win that incredibly gay contest!" sort of stuff also doesn't come off all that great either
The season one line that has aged most poorly is drunk Monarch slurring "why don't you get your big fat Tom o'Finland rear end back on your big gay bike" to the cop trying to arrest him for pissing on Phantom Limb's house.

...and it is truly unfortunate because I was like fourteen and I have zero respect for motorcycle cops so I think of it every single time to this day and I feel bad about myself, that's my story.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Starcrash made me laugh a lot, but more for the garbage-rear end total ripoff of Star Wars than the riffs, so I can't actually recommend it as a "good" episode because watching the movie itself would be fine too. Also Seinfeld guest starring didn't help the episode at all.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

MrUnderbridge posted:

Wait, there was a sequel to My Side of the Mountain? I loved that book. Sounds like it's better I never read the second one
There were at least two, might have been a third I did not read. They got kinda libertarian iirc.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Professor Wayne posted:

Ha, was this common knowledge? I asked about this exact thing at their panel at San Diego Comic Con last year.
I think they mentioned it in the commentary for the episode with the three disposable mooks - who, to be fair, were Bum Rush (a hobo with a second dogsuited man in a shopping cart), Tank Top (a guy with a tank for the top half of his body), and Shuttlecock (a badminton astronaut, somehow not a dirty joke) so they certainly did settle on three good names eventually

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Abra-kebab-ra is already taken.
Pharaoh says we have to call it Abra-kebab-aten now.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Did Mission Hill age ok? Everything about it seemed very mid-90s, which is weird because I think it started in 2000.
As far asI know it did but all I know is that whenever I hear the word Kafkaesque I think "no meat touching"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

MariusLecter posted:

Andy: Aren't you selling out by plugging Raid Shadow Legends?
I have seen like four jokes about the number of Raid Shadow Legends ads in the last week, and I have no idea what it even is. Is the concept of adblock going to make tv not age well?

(That said, it's partially that I'm in the wrong demographic, because I do get Twitch's inline ads but they're for some random Amazon Prime show or like, I think there was one for chunky soup?)