Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

What about the opposite, was bonanza huge in Japan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I remember liking the Eddie Murphy stuff in SNL but that might be nostalgia talking.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Krispy Wafer posted:

Johnny Cash's Cocaine Blues is good because of all the convicts cheering about murdering a woman on the live album.

I'm not sure which album you're referring to but if it was Folsom Prison they actually had to dub in crowd noises because the inmates we're very polite in fear of being punished or ejected.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Ariong posted:

There’s a website called Dead Homer Society run by a group of people that think The Simpsons should now be cancelled, and it has a series of articles detailing how the classic Simpsons became the “zombie” Simpsons we know today. While I think that the people behind this website are unfairly harsh to modern Simpsons and it really isn’t that bad, I do like the parts of this series which explain the pre-Simpsons TV environment and why the Simpsons was so revolutionary. It touches on a lot of stuff Iron Crowned mentioned in their post, and it’s a good read!

https://deadhomersociety.com/zombiesimpsons/zs2/
https://deadhomersociety.com/zombiesimpsons/zs3/

Note: This article was written back when people still though Bill Cosby was a cool guy. Hey, The Cosby Show! There’s one that one aged like a fine milk.

That was... actually not nearly as crazy and strident as I was expecting (old SNPP hand here). There's some interesting stuff here for anyone who wants a relatively well-argued opinion on the decline of the Simpsons. I don't actually agree with a some of it (I see "The Principal and the Pauper" as more of chaotic burn down the world moment rather than "The writers were out of ideas, and the fans were attached to what they already knew") but unlike a lot of material like this I can't imagine the author wiping flecks of foam out of his beard while he writes it.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Gilligan's island got weird at the end, though the actors were their normal wooden selves.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Wild Cards is pretty weird and big it's true. In retrospect though it wasn't actually very good (I preferred the thieves world shared universe). I wonder if a stumbling block might be the rights issues since each character/story belongs to a different author.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Best intros along with everything else is police squad

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

londonarbuckle posted:

I remember being in high school and briefly thinking "John K's great, I am a fan, those jerk TV people should let him do his thing" and then every single thing I watched/read of him would just be a slow trickle of "Oh wait, he's kind of an rear end in a top hat, oh wait, he's deluded, oh wait, his ideas about cartoons are actually stupid, oh wait, he's a weird conservative babyman with daddy issues, oh wait, he actually completely sucks at cartoons"

And THEN I finally saw that Katie Rice video and "Oh wait, he's also a gigantic loving creep, welp"

The moral is never be a fan of anyone, good night

Yeah iirc back in the day there was a pretty referenced interview in film threat magazine where K drew on a picture of Bob Camp crying fake tears and clutching dollars which was the received wisdom for most people at the time. The other stuff came to light later

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

BiggerBoat posted:

touche

I was thinking more about one dimensional "catch phrase" characters that for some reason seemed really ubiquitous in the 70's. Maybe not though. Could just be that's when I watched the most television but I remember them taking Flo from "Alice", which was a decent show, and Florence from "The Jeffersons" (also a decent show) and trying to make shows around them. "Different Strokes" spun off "Facts of Life" and I think Shirley from "What's Happening" got a show too so maybe it just helped to be a maid or a waitress back then.

Or named Florence for that matter.

But, like, I could totally picture a 70's how of "The Costanzas" that would have been called "George is Gettin' UPSET!" Surprised there were never any "Welcome Back Kotter" spinoffs since that whole show was catch phrases.

Mr T and Tina kinda

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's odd in retrospect but there was a time in the 70s and 80s when Mercury, while a respected vocalist and performer, was perceived as "just" a flamboyant showman, all flash and little substance; in interviews, he would often actively discourage analysis of his lyrics and insisted none of his songs actually "meant" anything. Conversely, May was seen as the "genius" of the band who could do all these tricks with feedback and poo poo.

Meanwhile, Roger Taylor spent a few years insistently introducing himself to interviewers as "the drummer and one of the singers" in Queen (in fairness, he was given a lead vocal spot in most shows up until the Hot Space tour at least - whenever they stopped performing "I'm In Love With My Car", because he always sang that one from the drums, and I'm pretty sure he was the one who was singing all those high notes in "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "In the Lap of the Gods").

Freddie gets his due now but I sometimes wonder if it's swung too far the other way. Whatever Brian May and Roger Taylor may have done the past 25 years or so, I don't think it's entirely fair to suggest that Freddie was just carrying the rest of the band for their entire career. :shrug:

I think if you ask any gear head guitarist about "who had the best sound" Brian May is going to come up in the conversation.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Cosby's early comedy albums were really good. Can't think of much that mentioned women other than a mother always threatening to beat her children, as was the style at the time.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The first cartoon I can remember thinking "hey that's pretty cheap and lazy" is the original spider Man cartoon when they used the exact same backgrounds and certain animations for dementia 5 lifted frame for frame from rocket Robin hood (or the reverse, my memory is hazy).

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Lazlo Nibble posted:

To be fair, the whole “very special episode” vibe is pretty on-brand for the character.

And to teach him a lesson Ollie made Roy do all of the heroin all at once

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Part of the problem with the USA is it's relatively young, so there's not really a lot to mythologize. Like you've got the revolution, civil war (which can be touchy), the "wild" west, and then the great homogenization kind of begins, with little dips out for WWII and Vietnam. Like euros have Kings and saints and popes and all kinds of stuff to draw upon to make toothless inaccurate portrayals of but not the US.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Wasn't Shazam in Chuck too?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

My takeaway is that Paul Shaffer is and has always been a real stand up guy

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

knife_of_justice posted:

It's funny. I'm gay and I never found the Mr. B riff a problem, even though I was watching circa 2012 on YouTube with little idea of how old it was (I'm British). Maybe I was conceding to a straight person's sense of bewilderment/ horror at this strange seemingly genderless character without realising.

"Liberace wishes he were this gay" will always be funny though.

Oh jeez I'm terrible. I read that and remembered hearing it said and it just got a real belly laugh out of it.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

mllaneza posted:

Paul Ruben has done nothing better in his career. Yes, even that. Yes that was great, his bit in Buffy was better. No, a lot better. I'm not loving with you, it was that great. You should go watch the Buffy movie. I don't care if it isn't on any basic streaming site, pay the four bucks for on-demand and make some loving popcorn.

Hah, I saw the buffy movie in the theatre when I was doing movie reviews for a small alt weekly rag and all I remember is his post (mid) credits sequence where he's still moaning after being staked.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Highlander had a bizarrely good soundtrack

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

mind the walrus posted:

I agree that writing her out if her character was stationary is some bullshit, but I can understand why a rip-snorting genre adventure show didn't want to involve a pregnancy.

I think part of it is that the _deep lore_ of Highlander is that they're sterile and can't have children so of she was pregnant in the show, it would not have been her love interests kid

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Sir Lemming posted:

It's okay. But it's really hard not to compare it (unfavorably) to TNBC which just feels like so much more of a labor of love. Corpse Bride is more like just a random movie from the '80s or something, that you'd watch and think "that was fun", and yet there's so much drat technical effort put into it, and that almost makes it worse somehow?

I really do need to get around to seeing Ed Wood someday. I'm a big fan of both Tim Burton movies and Ed Wood movies, I was raised on them. But since Ed Wood is rated R and I was in middle school when it came out, it never made it into my family's viewing.

At this point it's probably safe to say it's the best Johnnie Depp movie too.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I thought the implication was Guinan was another different higher dimensional being

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Pastamania!!

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I was under the impression its almost impossible to lose money on Christian movies. Keep the budget low, mention God a lot, distribute to small-town theaters and do group sales to churches. Youbdon't even have to make it good because they're so desperate for conservative movies. Its like the most profitable movie sector.

You're missing the most important part:
- Cast Dean Cain for like five bux

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

DontMockMySmock posted:

Baby Driver is maybe the best action movie to come out in the last twenty years but BOY is it hard to watch Kevin Spacey "act" as a megalomaniac in a position of power over a teenage boy.

And now the lead actor, too. :sigh:

You night want to watch a movie called Fury Road...

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

God that British counterpart was truly, truly awful. Part of what makes Red's frequent threats slightly more palatable is that he's this not particularly threatening looking old dude. You cast a more hulking bloke in the same role and suddenly those threats come off way, way darker

Also, while I think it's an interesting choice to shoot the thing as if it was a legit British 70s show, those shows looked like poo poo and no one wants to watch that

Red not threatening? Clarence boedicker emanates pure menace.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

christmas boots posted:

So like, if I were to go back and bang Confucius and give him some Doritos. That kind of disrespect?

Man sounds like China was really freaked out by the original Bill and Ted movies.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Tiaer posted:

Well, what city HASN'T Vancouver played? I think every metro area in the country has been Vancouvered in a show.

Anywhere they need real snow

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Volcott posted:

No one can force you to watch Cleopatra 2525, but there are probably some Bruce Campbell-centric social groups where you may be obligated to watch Jack o' All Trades.

Bubba Hotep

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I remember reading somewhere he barely remembers directing Maximum Overdrive

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

AceOfFlames posted:

I loving can't stand that finale. As bas, as they were, sending them all to be raped in jail, was too far. And they definitely were, Jerry even mentions it in the ending standup segment.

Yes they should have been killed instead.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Don't forget Bill

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I come here to laud Harrison and not bury him but didn't the X of Eden books have like weird human lizard sex in them? I remember being vaguely disturbed as a youth and stopping reading them because of that.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Didn't they basically sexually harassment the heck out of that blonde lady? Or was that a sequel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

You'd think if a band was going to franchise like that it'd have been KISS