Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Arivia posted:

yeah uh

the stuff on that woman tells me they were already laying the ground work for the s&m stuff later, you don't SEE neck corsets like that outside of kink circles and high fashion

e: i said this and totally missed the whole holding a guy on a leash thing, lol

In the book, she uses a dildo that is also a taser (that was used by that dude's dad to train her to be a slave so that she could then be a dominatrix) to magically make people her BDSM slaves, no matter how powerful a wizard they are (that dude is The Most Powerful Everything Who Is Always Right). She always wears it around her neck (the dude's dad has a palace full of the dildo-taser dommes; they also wear blood-red leather so that the blood doesn't show when they hurt people).

Goodkind is, I cannot stress this enough, hosed up.

The saving grace of the show, apparently (haven't seen it), is that they realized that Goodkind was hosed up and decided to just go over-the-top with it and made it silly and entertaining instead of being a faithful adaptation of the books.

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 02:08 on Jun 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

the_steve posted:

IIRC, Goodkind hated the tv show so much he likened it to watching his daughter get sexually assaulted.

Like, he literally tried to draw a line connecting these two things.

So yeah, Terry has some issues. Plus he's a grade a douchebag.

I think that reaction just proves my earlier assumption is correct: that the show is good and fun and entertaining, and not a faithful adaptation of the books, which are none of those things. :)

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed
I only vaguely remember Mighty Max, but I keep mistaking it for Fantastic Max, which was about a baby who went on adventures with a robot butler thing (maybe?). I don't know why that show stuck with me over any of the good ones (like apparently Mighty Max), and I'm just not getting why anyone would be reminiscing (fondly!) about a dumb actually-for-younger-children cartoon with the catchphrase "dirty diapers!" Apparently, nobody is doing that except me, now. :)

Speaking of cartoons that are probably terrible, I had a soft spot for BraveStarr (cowboys in space or on a futuristic-but-old-West-themed planet or something) and SilverHawks (flying people in space, and one of the guys had a guitar that shot lasers when he played it). I don't remember much about the actual shows or characters other than the titular characters were obviously the heroes, and they had a cast of villains to fight. I do remember watching them a lot when I was a kid, though, alongside the usual He-Man, Thundercats, Voltron, and Transformers.

I was so disappointed when I got a Voltron set for Christmas one year and it was the vehicle one instead of the lion one. It had like 30 vehicles (it was probably only like 12 or something, but it seemed like a lot more) that could combine in a few different ways, not just the big robot form, but it wasn't really Voltron, y'know?

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 01:35 on Dec 12, 2020

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed
I don't remember Airwolf looking so fake during so much of the opening credits (and probably during the show as well), but of course it was. That would have been way too expensive and cut into the cocaine budget.

That theme is still kickin' rad, though.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

BioEnchanted posted:

Orphaned punchlines used to be a common thing to let the audience know that a character was supposed to be witty without actually showing them saying something funny. Like the one I saw in basically everything growing up, "so I said to him, 'That's no X, that's my wife'!".

That reminds me of a similar thing, specifically decades ago on The Simpsons when Bart says to Lisa "So I says to Mabel, I says..."

(I guess it would be an orphaned setup because he never gets to the punchline)

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don't think that was a setup to a joke, just a moment of absurdity of Bart gossiping like a 50s housewife.

You're probably right. It feels to me like a vaudeville sort of thing, which the early writers were obviously big fans of (see also: Klown, Krusty the).

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

bitterandtwisted posted:

Kermit: Everyone be cool, this is a robbery!
Miss Piggy: Any of you loving pricks move, and I'll execute every motherfucking last one of ya!

That reminds me of an old thing that rewrote Pulp Fiction as a Shakespearean play. I even contributed a bit! It was a neat little writing exercise. But now I can't find the original site, just stuff about it being adapted into an actual play.

I only remember a few bits from it: Honey-bunny and Pumpkin were Meadsweet Coney and Pumpkin-pie. The whole thing started when someone came up with "English, base knave! Dost thou speak it!?" and it just sort of spiraled from there.

fakeedit: I found it on the wayback machine: https://web.archive.org/web/20120306000650/http://pulpbard.wikispaces.com/Table+of+Contents

quote:

MEADSWEET: If but one of thy uncouth, base number
Stirs with unrest; then every mother's son
Of you, I will put in the earth by this
My very own long sword; Harken to'it.

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 14:19 on Apr 11, 2022

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

The Dollop podcast has an episode about this, too, if you want to know more about the gross guy who saw bird watchers taking notes in a park and thought "hey, I should do that but with girls!" (he never called them women, they were always "girls")

https://allthingscomedy.com/podcasts/194---the-girl-watchers

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

ookiimarukochan posted:

That's why you should call them [0]451 games.

As much as I prefer "0451" to "immersive sim," I think it's a bad genre name because it's a shibboleth, not a good description. "Immersive Sim" isn't much better because, as mentioned, they're not really "simulators" (makes me think of things like Microsoft Flight Simulator or similar) and they're as immersive as any other video game. If we can have genres like "Metroidvania" and "Roguelike" and "Souls-like," I don't see why we can't have "Deus Ex-like" or "DX-like" (technically, it'd probably be System Shock-like, but "SS-like" doesn't have a great ring to it, imo).

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

GoutPatrol posted:

Early 40s at best, I still got some time before I become that.

Maybe you do. Some of us are having one of those existential confrontations with our own mortality here.

:(

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed
"Armin's copy of Swank" is a funny joke from that episode.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

BioEnchanted posted:

Helen Lovejoy is the worst for that, SUCH a hypocrite.

Won't SOMEBODY think of the CHILDREN!?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed
Yeah, West Wing didn't age poorly because it was never good. The biggest accomplishment of Bartlet's presidency was privatizing Social Security.

"We are going to raise the level of discourse in this country, and let that be our legacy." loving nonsense.

Also, 9/11 never happened in West Wing World, but early in 2002 there was a war on terror, for reasons.

Everyone with opinions about The West Wing (good or bad) should listen to The West Wing Thing podcast, with Josh Olson and Dave Anthony. They're both leftists in Hollywood (Josh wrote A History of Violence and Infested, Dave is a stand-up and wrote on Marc Maron's show and some other shows), and very much not liberal/Democrats. They start out going "y'know, Sorkin's a good writer, we're just going to focus on the politics of this show and how it negatively influenced the Democratic party and the Obama administration." By like 3 episodes in, they have done a total 180 to "Sorkin's a lovely writer, gently caress him, this podcast was a bad idea because now we have to keep watching this terrible loving show."

One episode is just a total side-trip into an episode of one of the Star Treks because the WW episode they were supposed to do was so dull that they couldn't think of anything to say about it. They also did an episode on Sorkin's Chicago Seven movie, where Abbie Hoffman profess his love for the government of the United States of America. Abbie loving Hoffman.

I'd hate to see what bullshit Sorkin would have put in MLK Jr's mouth.