Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
Ugh I'm watching That 70s Show and Donna keeps telling Hyde to stop hitting on her and finally she blows up and he's all "well look at you, can you blame me" and it's grooooss, and the laugh track is terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

JediTalentAgent posted:

Is That 70s Show aging pretty well? Even when it was on, I didn't watch all that much, but its first season is going to be hitting the 20 year mark here in a few years, sort of putting it about nearly the same number of years out from the 1976-1977 timeframe the show started out in. It seems that between the cast, production values and the show concept it seems to be maybe able to stand the test of time a bit better than others.

I posted about it a few pages ago 'cause I had a few episodes on in the background that day. What stood out was Hyde hitting on Donna, and Donna getting mad about it ("You know I'm with Topher Grace's character!") and him refusing to back off and instead grabbing her and saying something like, "Well look at you, can you blame me?" And it was all played up as romantic drama but it made Hyde come off really gross. Plus all the jokes were dumb and bad.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Krispy Wafer posted:

I think the first couple of episodes played lyrics.

Hawkeye's behavior towards women DID NOT age well. More people should have been Frank Burns.

I love the episode where he doesn't hit on the short and curvy nurse, and is completely oblivious to her overtures toward him. She calls him on being a shallow rear end in a top hat, he feels bad and decides he wants to pity bang her--but when he goes to her tent she's already got a hot piece of man flesh waiting inside for her, hahaha.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Tom is hilarious and I love most of his scenes. I wouldn't want to know the real-life version of him, though.

I also really like April. She starts out as this sarcastic edgelord teen who slowly matures into a better person--however she just can't let go of that "edgy" persona and keeps it up in a kind of self-mocking way in later seasons. And of course she hated Ann--she felt threatened Ann's previous relationship with Andy--but this is something she also slowly overcame by the end of the show.

I love most things about the show, but Jerry drives me nuts. Sometimes he's portrayed as a bumbling idiot and sometimes as a creative and talented genius. So is he misunderstood by everyone or not? Why does he do that pisses people off so much? Leslie seems to actively loathe Jerry.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Volcott posted:

The nolan bamhams are pretty much exactly what you want if you want the dark and brooding take on the character. Some of the comics have aged horrendously, but as far as the movies go, I think it's just the kilmer/clooney ones that are outright bad.

I recently rewatched Batman Forever and actually appreciated it a lot more than I did back when it came out--it had that whole campy 60s Batman vibe with the crazy camera angles and everything. Fun, but probably shouldn't have followed those other two movies.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

purple death ray posted:

If you want to see David Hyde Pierce in a very different role check out this movie The Perfect Host. It's a pretty solid movie but it's mostly a showcase for Pierce to act like a psycho

I disagree strongly with this--watch The Perfect Host if you want to see David Hyde Pierce play the exact same role but, like, in a Halloween episode of Frasier where Niles Crane goes insane.

(It's actually been a long time since I've seen TPH but that's how I remember it. :3:)

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Rollersnake posted:

I was going to say this was the first cartoon I saw where the violence bothered me, but that honor goes to The Cat Came Back, of all things. Because of the bug on the train tracks. I was a sensitive kid, I guess.

Holy poo poo, I thought I'd never heard of The Cat Came Back but as soon as I saw this post I had a flashback to that awful bug on the train tracks scene. Stuck with me for years, although I remembered it being a lot grimmer (and without the cheerful music.)

The way he just splits in half. :(

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

I'm doing a rewatch of the Tudors--just finished the first season--and it's not at all as good as I remembered.

The CGI establishing shots are godawful. I could overlook that, but...

Everyone is so unlikeable (except maybe Wolsey.) Even Queen Catharine, whom we're supposed to feel bad for, I think, is just downright pathetic. Girl, give the little poo poo his divorce and go gently caress off somewhere and enjoy your rich retirement.

And there is SO MUCH sex. Like, the actors are good looking and everything but after a while it's like, oh, okay, pausing the drama and plot yet AGAIN to watch two people go at it. Oh, this scene's ending, great--but oh, this next scene is just two different people smushing. If they cut out all the loving and sucking each episode would be like 10 minutes long!

It is a lot less violent than I remembered, but that might be because I just finished a rewatch of Game of Thrones.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

I caught one episode of Highlander as a child--all I remember is the main guy spent the entire episode trying to rescue some woman, and it was difficult (I think there was some kind of crazy villian's lair they had to escape out of?) So at the end he gets her out and as they're walking off into the sunset a mugger jumps out and kills her.

Is this memory accurate at all? If so I kinda wanna hunt the show down and watch it.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

It's been a while since I've watched Raymond but I remember Debra being just as awful and bitchy as everyone else. The only person I ever had sympathy for was Robert because everyone is constantly making GBS threads on him for no reason, although he's a little pathetic for not moving far away and ditching his terrible family.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

CharlestheHammer posted:

Debra is literally the victim. Like half of the show is just the mother character making GBS threads on her

Robert is way more the victim!

I think the show is unrealistic in that they made Ray successful at his job. Anyone that favored and coddled growing up should be more of a deadbeat.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Laterite posted:

Yes indeed and it's one of the most awkward/glorious scenes aired on network TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWNVCNbOy9M

I've seen this scene multiple times but never heard this song, because for some reason my pirated copy of this episode is missing her vocal track.

The rest of the audio is fine, there's just no singing. :confused:

I also enjoy how this show handled losing one of its child actors ("Oh, Henry's around here somewhere.")

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

oldpainless posted:

Seinfeld is the only one that comes to mind that never did serious moments

E: well maybe Kramer meeting his mom

I've always loved how they get Elaine and Jerry together--which is absolutely the kind of thing you expect to see in a sitcom, leading to various shades of relationship drama and possible shark jumping--but forgot about the whole thing by the next episode.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

I think Bill is not so much in love with Peggy as he is with the whole concept of the "perfect" family/stable home life, which he's never able to achieve. His life crashed after a woman left him, so he thinks if he could just have that one piece back the rest of the puzzle would come together and his life would obviously be as good as Hank's.

But mostly he does because it makes for funny interactions between the egotist and the loser.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

I've never seen any of the Law and Orders--which is the best?

I conflated it with NCIS a while back and watched a bunch of those, but they were pretty bad. The main thing I remember is a scene where one of the nerds was either hacking a computer or trying to stop their computer being hacked by pounding away at a keyboard, but they weren't doing it fast enough, so another nerd started typing on the same keyboard at the same time

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

The other day I saw Keanu Reeves play a serial killer in The Watcher (2000), and it was one of the worst things I've ever seen. It makes all his other performances look Oscar-worthy.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Torquemada posted:

It must be a genre thing, because the True Grit remake has Matt Damon tell the fourteen year old girl he *was* going to kiss her in her sleep, but she’s such a bitch he wants to spank her instead.

He does spank her, iirc, when she first follows the guys at the ferry crossing. Rooster decides he doesn't like it and threatens to shoot him.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

The best western is obviously Deadwood.

The True Grit book is really good though (the newer movie is probably just as good, but I watched it like an hour after I finished the book and could only focus on what they changed.)

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Yeah and how is there an alien

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Mad About You exists in the same universe as Seinfeld, but George's fiance makes him watch Mad About You