Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

There's a lemon behind that rock!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I believe the showrunner of Quads was himself a disabled guy, which kind of helped a lot with that.

The show was based on the comics of John Callahan, a quadriplegic cartoonist of pervert cartoons.

e. misplaced modifier

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Beavis and Butthead, too.

It's too bad that the rights to that show are a Gordian knot. The music video segments should fall under fair use :smith:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mister Mind posted:

It hadn't aged well, even while it was still first-run airing, but I guess Two and a Half Men is about to age even worse.

Charlie Sheen alleged to have raped Corey Haim in 1986

hosed if true, but I'm withholding judgment until it comes from a source which doesn't straight-up lie about literally everything.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mister Mind posted:

The National Enquirer may (and does) deal exclusively in tawdry crap, but they do get their stories straight before publishing.

Are you sure? I've seen front-page poo poo this year from them that was clearly false Trumpist propaganda.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dejawesp posted:

So when Frank Zappa sang "Thanks to Freddie, I'm a sexual spastic" was that an offensive song or politically correct song?

:colbert:

If you know the context of the line, I think you know the answer to that question.

I love so much of Zappa's music but then so much of it really makes me uncomfortable

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

BiggerBoat posted:

I think you guys are missing the context of the use of the word "human being" in that song.

It was taking a shot at people who refused to listen to Prince and derisively referring to him as a "human being", which was stunningly common in the early 80's, by saying "Yeah? that little human being got his own jet airplane. What have you got?" I graduated HS in 84 (i am old) and the perception of a musician or an actor being gay back then was basically a license not to like them, at least openly.

This attitude extended to Bowie, Jagger, Boy George, George Michael, Adam Ant, Rob Halford, Rod Stewart, MJ, Prince, Elton John..even KISS because they wore make up..and certainly the entire disco movement before that. Rumors abounded and metal heads were on the fence about BonJovi, Motley Crue and Poison. Billy Crystal even took a lot of poo poo for playing a gay character on SOAP, to relate it to TV. Judas Priest and Elton John lost hundreds of thousands of fans for going public.

"Being a fag" was an acceptable excuse and a blank check for someone to dismiss anyone's work. Comedians did entire bits on it (Eddie Murphy, Kinison, Dice Clay, even Carlin) and AIDS jokes were disturbingly common, along with Rock Hudson jokes. poo poo, forget the 80's. This attitude even extended well into the 90's, even amongst my friends and so called "enlightened open minded people" and was a big part of the reason I concealed my bisexuality for decades. "human being" was an acceptable insult on these very forums until maybe 8-10 years ago.

It's hard to parse unless you lived through it and I'm happy to see how much attitudes have changed for the most part but context is everything and TV is always far behind social norms. Remember the uproar over the interracial Star Trek kiss even.

This is part of why I have mixed feelings about Zappa songs like "Bobby Brown" - I know that it's at the expense of predatory WASPy rapist assholes, but that whole context isn't there in lines like "I hosed this dyke by the name of Freddie ... she got my balls in a vice but she left the dick / now it's still hooked up except it shoots to quick ... thanks to Freddie I'm a sexual spastic / and my name is Bobbie Brown"

All at once I can see how Zappa is making a satirical point about white male privilege and hypocrisy, but the avenue he used did not age well, and this song just does more to show how Zappa was also a misogynistic rear end in a top hat.

:smith:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

mojo1701a posted:

The podcast Beyond Yacht Rock did an entire episode about songs about loving teenagers. It's amazing how many there are.

That's because pop music is for a) teenagers, and b) people who can't accept that they're no longer teenagers.

This leads me to c). Have you noticed that a ridiculous percentage rock music is about teenage angst and/or being a rock star, often on the road? Well that's because many of the people who write it have no life experience other than being an angsty teenager, and they spend lots of time being a musician on the road, often dreaming about stardom.

In other words it's all a gigantic circle jerk.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Wheat Loaf posted:

Obligatory story about Ted Nugent earned his reputation as a staunch advocate for patriotic duty:

(tl;dr - he shat in his pants to get out of Nam because only stupid hippies should be drafted)

Double Live Gonzo is still great fun, though.

but are troops right?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dexie posted:

Just imagine, 100 episodes of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP3jksgr_V0

:suicide:

christ - voiced by Bobcat Golthwaite is basically a punchline in itself. How the poo poo could you leave that out?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I had no idea that John Goodman played Dan Severn

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

WampaLord posted:

That's not how gun ownership actually works though.

The vast majority of Americans own 0 guns, then there's another group of people who only own 1 gun, and then there's a tiny tiny amount of people who own 20+ guns each. This throws off the average.

The average American owns no guns.

Well that works both ways. Maybe it was just one dude in the Branch Davidian who had a bunch of guns. You ever think of that?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

grittyreboot posted:

So I got Venture Bros. Seasons 5 and 6 for Christmas. I haven't watched the show in a while but my memory of Shore Leave being camp gay was relegated to being just part of his character and maybe an occasional joke.

No. Literally everything out of his mouth is him hitting on his straight coworkers and being Faaabulooouuus. It gets old quick.

What I like about Shore Leave is that he's ridiculously camp gay but instead of being a self-involved castrated sissy, which is typical of the camp gay caricature, he's a hyper-competent murder machine.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

JediTalentAgent posted:

Sort of on an Archer related note, isn't there a bit in Sealab 2021 where the characters are watching a Will and Grace show and a supposedly gay background character calls everyone out on watching the show, I think saying that in 20 years we'll see the gay characters on that show as the Amos and Andy of our generation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYVngaUI6UA

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

I feel like a lot of the Asian stereotypes are grounded in a derisive notion of mimicry. Like, "these people act like whites/westerners but they'll never be us." So even things that might seem innocuous like "takes a lot of pictures" becomes much more malicious.

Yep. One tripartate racial schema I remember reading cast "The Mongoloid" as "civilization maintainer" - i.e. they use the great stuff that the white man invented but they don't contribute anything of their own.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Twitch posted:

Even before it became nothing but topical humor, South Park seemed to really rely on "random" pop culture references that were funny to 14 year old me, but are about as funny as a Newgrounds cartoon now. Beavis and Butt-Head is still loving hilarious 20+ years later because it's more a loving parody of youth culture.

Have they released Beavis and Butthead with the compete music videos yet? Or should we expect that to just remain in hell forever?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

SEX BURRITO posted:

American Beauty is perhaps the worst because instead of finding another cushy gig, he gets a fast food job, which in real life would be soul crushingly awful. How many McDonald’s employees do you see at the grill grinning away? The novelty would soon wear off. But apparently taking a lovely job is really sticking it to the man.

The guy in Fight Club actually had a job that sounded pretty interesting. And he got to travel a lot. But oh no, it’s all so unfulfilling and meaningless.

And he can only afford to make that his lifestyle because of all of the money he had already made and/or his wife (I can't remember) was making.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Disgusting Coward posted:

My grandfather worked as a wrestling promoter in the 60s and 70s, and made for a similarly amusing co-watch. He'd get absolutely incandescent about wrestlers being sloppy, hurting opponents, stiffing people, milking rest holds or being too loud when they called spots. He also permanently ruined Hulk Hogan for me, by pointing out that he's supposed to be a face but has a heel's move set. Thanks, gramps!

EDIT: He also used to get hilariously wound up about Rugrats for some reason. Loved Angelica, loathed Tommy like poison. Good times.

:frogon:

also :corsair: + :goonsay:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Maxwell Lord posted:

For a long time the tradition in wrestling was that the babyfaces always followed the rules, while the heels would fight dirty, doing things like back rakes and closed fist punches and other things that are technically not allowed.

Hogan, on the other hand, would do all those things, and the commentary would frame it as giving the bad guys their comeuppance since they'd done it or something similar in the past. His whole wrestling style was borrowed from the popular heel "Superstar" Billy Graham (no relation to the preacher), and he even was introduced by one promotion as a heel prior to joining the WWF, but audiences just liked him and cheered for him regardless.

It's very America-in-the-80s, we're the good guys so we can do whatever we want. If you go back and watch his stuff from that era he often comes across as kind of a dick (as he apparently is IRL)- on the rare occasions he loses he makes a big deal about how he was screwed and generally tries to keep the focus on him.

(Also interesting fact, his cameo as "Thunderlips" in Rocky III was done well in advance of Hulkamania and all that. In fact it probably helped because the WWF were able to get Mr. T in on the first Wrestlemania.)

Hmm. Interesting. Hulk Hogan and Hulkamania was my introduction to pro wrestling as a kid, so I never noticed anything odd about his style of fighting. I loving loved Hulk Hogan so much when I was like 5 years old.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Wow. At first I was watching it and thinking "Well the Jazz singers are the black cats, which is kind of unnecessary, but they're not minstrel show caricatures at least..." but then the siamese joined and I literally went :eyepop:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Some critics read the Tolkien-style Elves as anti-fascist / anti-supremacist symbols. The logic is that the Elves are decidedly inhuman, and they have actual quantifiable claims to racial superiority, whereas any human who tries to make that claim is just a delusional fart huffer. (i.e. if there were a master race, this is how they'd look. You don't look like this, ergo...)

Tolkien does get "Superior Humans" in his extended mythology (and they bleed into LOTR a bit), but most of them get all high on their own farts and get mostly smitten a la Atlantis. The few who survive go one of a few directions. Some go and be heroes (Aragorn), which is more or less a nod to the demigods of Greco-Roman myth, with almost all of them dying tragically. Others get disgusted with humanity and go move in with the Elves (Elrond). Even Aragorn is complicated as an Aristocratic symbol, given how unattainable his credentials are, and that he's a caricature of idealistic benevolence in an absolute ruler. And on top of that Tolkien concludes the whole thing by with a note that "these people aren't in the world anymore."

The only "attainable" model of governance in all of his work is The Shire, which is basically a small pastoral region where friendly strangers are always welcome to come get drunk with the locals, and which almost gets destroyed by exploitative industrialized capitalism.

I don't know how Tolkien's flavour of elves works in other fantasy novels, though.

:goonsay:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tiggum posted:

Elrond was part elf. The superior humans were the rangers like Aragorn (descendants of the survivors of the Atlantis thing) and I think most of the ones that were around then survived to the end of LotR?

Aragorn is a descendent of Elrond's brother. One brother founded the line of high human kings, and the other went to live with the elves. Even the human ubermenschen have immortal, supernatural origins.

This is the wrong thread for this anyway.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

At what point does a recurring background gag become overplayed? Like in Home Improvement where not being able to see Wilson’s mouth is a funny gag that then becomes a big thing that need to be included in the opening credits.

On the other hand you have Kramer’s numerous unseen friends on Seinfeld which never bothered me, even if there was a joke referencing it.

I was thinking about the Wilson gag the other day. There's an episode where the Taylor family goes over to his house for dinner and they keep having contrived ways to not show his face - just burying the gag into the ground, in effect - but the worst part is how the canned laughter audience goes "oohhhhh" when he pops up and his face is covered by a leaf from a hanging plant, or something.

If they're supposed to be a live studio audience they wouldn't have to react to the forced perspective of the camera :psyduck:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

There was a period in which Paris Hilton was obnoxiously over-exposed and her only seeming qualifications were that she was drunk, she didn't wear panties, and she was in a night-vision sex tape.

The episode tries to be as much about the public giving attention in those circumstances, but the cum-coughing overshadows that a bit.

e. to clarify the chronology a bit - she was a drunken tabloid star -before- she had a tv show. i.e. the tv shows were created to showcase her as a drunken tabloid star.

CommonShore has a new favorite as of 15:38 on Feb 9, 2018

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

GrandpaPants posted:

Nerd culture is desperate for validation despite being mainstream as gently caress now.

How about this - if it's mainstream it can't be nerd culture, because nerd culture is intrinsically obscurist. It's just pop culture.

(Is this what the kids are calling "a hot take"?)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

BioEnchanted posted:

I always find it hilarious how the George Lucas movies have become such a corner stone of nerd stuff, because I couldn't give less of a gently caress about them. I've seen the first 6 Star Wars movies once each, and have no remembrance of much of either trilogy, and have barely seen the Indiana Jones movies. I just don't find them that interesting, despite the quality of cinematography or writing. There are just other movies I prefer to watch.

I feel this way too, but I try to avoid sounding so misanthropic when I express it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

So I just rewatched Beavis and Butthead from the beginning to the end over the last 10 weeks or so.

Some of it has aged extremely well. 50% of their interactions with women result in them having the poo poo kicked out of them for sexual harassment, often by the women themselves: the most biting part of the whole thing is that they never learn their lesson. Butthead will walk up to a woman, grab her with a "hey baby...", get cranked in the face, and go ahead and try it again with another woman 10 seconds later, with more or less the same result, which is a pretty apt representation. The show is pretty clear that B&B aren't supposed to get full sympathy, so most of their atrocious behaviour doesn't represent some kind of endorsement.

The music video segments are the best 90s time capsule out there. Pretty much every other 90s show (Friends or Seinfeld, eg) gives an idealized and/or sanitized version of the period, or mostly exists out of time (The Simpsons or South Park). Beavis and Butthead manages to preserve the good, the bad, and the weird instead of just cherry-picking high profile and popular stuff that survived the intervening decades. E.g. they watch a Pantera video, and after about 20 seconds of "yes! This rocks!" at the beginning, they sit silent for 10 seconds and Butthead remarks "uhh... there sure are a lot of dudes in this video."

Some of it has aged very poorly, particularly the other 50% of Beavis and Buttheads's interactions with women. There are several scenes in which Beavis and Butthead just sexually harass women for laughs with no consequences or comeuppance whatsoever. One of the episodes in season 7 has them using a mirror to look up an oblivious woman's skirt, and they don't even end up with a piece of glass jammed into one of their hands or anything. The Todd character is pretty wrapped up in this kind of stuff too.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

TheAwfulWaffle posted:

How? I'd love to go back and watch some old episodes, but the last I heard, the music video portions of B&B weren't really available anywhere because of licensing issues.

Your mistake is in looking in places where licensing matters. I asked the same question and then went :doh: and realized my mistake.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Detective No. 27 posted:

I was really hoping the revival would have aged them up to how old they would be now, but I was pretty happy with what we got.

The wikipedia page quotes Mike Judge pondering another revival with them as old men.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Wheat Loaf posted:

One of the oddest things about early South Park is how Butters is virtually non-existent (I'm pretty sure he isn't even in the movie at all, or if he is he isn't more than a background character) but characters like Officer Barbrady, Stan's Uncle Jimbo and Dr Mephesto are all on the "major supporting character" tier immediately below Stan, Kyle, Kenny and Cartman.

Butters came into the foreground during the seasons in which Kenny was actually dead. The creators realized at around the time of the movie that they wouldn't be able to move forward with the show unless they got away from their set of gags which were already wearing thin.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've been loving this poo poo on Twitter lately. I've seen some ridiculously good ones that I can't find right now.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tiggum posted:

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is a really good movie buried within an incredibly long and tedious one. I'm pretty sure you could improve the whole thing just by cutting it down to essentially just the good bits.

Then again, I find most modern TV to be unwatchably slow. Particularly on commercial TV where they spend half the runtime recapping what happened before the last commercial break and previewing what's about to happen after the next commercial break.

After the last Game of Thrones season ended I took a brief moment to look at the story boarding of it and the previous season, and at least three entire episodes's worth of knowing looks and frowning could have been eliminated, just from one glance at where things had started and where they ended up.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Krispy Wafer posted:

There's no way Battlestar Galactica had a pre-written story arc unless the writers decided, "let's make 2 really good seasons, 1 mildly confusing one, and then just poo poo all over everything."

From what I am told, they did have a plan, but then when the show was successful the network or whoever made them ditch it and drag poo poo out much longer, which is why there are two seasons in the middle where people do nothing but drink and frown.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

FactsAreUseless posted:

30 Rock remains the best sitcom of all time, and its first two seasons are all gold episodes. Even if you don't stick with it through all 7, I strongly recommend everyone watch the first two.

My favourite part of 30 Rock is the fake comedy sketches. Whatever else happens, those were written in such a way that they can never become dated.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I always read it as an absurdist joke about old people's mysterious pills and how nobody really knows what they do and why they take them.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Did someone say Kids in the Hall?

Well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkDRZrZhE-Y

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Even before that there was also a lot of misinformation around. Plus let's be honest here; Saddam wasn't exactly a nice guy.

I was actually supportive at the time. Now note that I was still a teenager at the time and also am from pretty rural conditions. The mobile chemical labs bullshit was actually the turning point where my opinion switched to "wow, gently caress this." As terrible as Saddam was that was when I realized that we ultimately went to play in the sandbox for utterly bullshit reasons.

Looking back it feels kind of weird that like 70% of Americans supported Bush Jr. and thought the Iraq war was a good idea but well...times were different.

(looks at 2016 election results)

No, times were exactly the same.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rogan is the long-time colour commentator for UFC pay per views. His schtick now is that he's really into conspiracy theories and individualist stuff, which sets him up as kind of an alt-right "figure," but to his credit he gets lots of people on his podcast who disagree with his bad opinions, and actually seems to make an honest effort to engage the ideas and improve in his dopey, stoned, jock-like way instead of shouting them down for the duration.

E.g. he got in poo poo from twitter for saying a bunch of transphobic stuff, and then he had a trans man come on his show and explain trans issues to him for three hours, and he actually in the time since then has made a visible effort to be less lovely about that. Now he still says transphobic poo poo, but less often, and when he catches himself he apologizes for it and admits that he's being lovely and explains why it was lovely.

(at least, when I last listened to his show, which was a really long time ago now that I think about it).

Financially he's doing pretty well, but in terms of "doing ok" it's pretty much "he could be doing a lot worse and I'll give him one bonus point for seeming to put in the effort to be less lovely when he gets called out on it." One funny event in this whole drama was his short-lived SciFi series, Joe Rogan Questions Anything, in which he went out to investigate bigfoot and chemtrails and morgellons and stuff. You can actually see the moments when he's standing out in the woods with the people who promote these theories and he's realizing "oh my god the theories I've been believing are entirely based on the testimony of idiots."

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

purple death ray posted:

You're more likely to hear jokes about polish jokes than polish jokes themselves honestly

I made an ironic polish joke this weekend at the expense of the movie Sunshine, starring Cillian Murphy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

littlebluellama posted:

Cillian Murphy is Irish and has the most Irish name ever (spelled the traditional Gaelic way with no letter K)??

edit: am I the :thejoke: ?

There is a dumb joke about Poland sending a rocket ship to the sun ... at night, which is in the dumbest loosest way the premise of the movie. My joke had little to do with Cillian Murphy specifically other than the fact that he stars in that weird movie.