Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS1bJVoMoOc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

food court bailiff posted:

There's a really recent episode of the Simpsons, from like last year, that was impossibly dated when it came out. Like, it was straight out of the late-90s. Lisa meets a group of rebellious female programmers who teach her that it's okay for girls to like computers, as if that's something that really needed explaining in 2016, and then it follows up this trite revelation from 1994 with a bit of computer illiteracy contemporary to the time when Lisa's project accidentally becomes a sentient AI.

It was so staggeringly anachronistic that I half expected it to become self-aware about it and have like loving Len or the Backstreet Boys guest star.

Man I wish I lived in your universe where making STEM not be actively antagonistic to girls was solved 20 years ago and not something that is still contentious enough to make the chuds mad when the Simpsons even pays lip service to the concept.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA4yuz8qgj4

spog posted:

I'm not disagreeing with you, but how do you mock someone who paints his face orange, has a reverse mullet, can't complete a coherent sentence and is quite possibly illiterate?

What can you do that is a funny parody when reality out - parodies the parody?

Edit: I'm not trying to drag politics into this thread: my answer to the first post is 'all those episodes where they had the 'worst possible leader of the free world' look hopelessly naive now'

They could always just make poo poo up about them, like how they gave Al Gore a speech impediment he doesn't actually have and had the story be that he was just faking everything for attention after he didn't get to be president. Or when they said that anti-smoking people actively lied about tobacco companies marketing to kids in the name of pushing their crusade on the public. They're pretty good at coming up with ways to make fun of people when they actually disagree with them, at least.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY1wCw6AlyQ

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I wonder if the people who complain about how most of Seinfeld doesn't work because cell phones exist ever watch, I dunno, The Knick and go "pssh, penicillin would totally fix this"

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

The Moon Monster posted:

I watched some episodes of Father of the Pride when it was on Netflix awhile back. For a show that sort of stars Sigfried and Roy there are a weird number of jokes where the punch line is "Look at that homo! Despicable."

My girlfriend was particularly grossed out by John Goodman begging his lion wife for sex by explaining that she was "in heat."

How can a show age poorly when it was already awful from the moment it was conceived?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Dragnet is so old that it was airing when the Miranda rights were instituted and there's an episode of the cops complaining about how it's so unfair and way harder to do their jobs now that they have to read people their rights.

Sunswipe posted:

How could any writer think that's how the law works?

Why would a network television crime show writer focus on realism over entertainment in a show like CSI where the dudes who are dusting for fingerprints also personally apprehend suspects and act as judge and jury?

It's like cops having to tell you that they're cops if you ask or getting a phone call when you're arrested or insanity pleas acting as get out of jail free cards, it's good drama that a lot of people take as fact because they get all their knowledge from pop culture.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Almost any animated show made before HD was the standard has aged poorly because cheap TV animation is even uglier when it doesn't have the filter of the warm fuzzy blur of an SD cathode ray tube.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNtcWpY4YLY

Deltasquid posted:

Not necessarily a tv show example, but in the late 90's to mid-2000's there seemed to be this belief that ecoterrorism would become an actual thing

The period between the fall of the soviet union and 9/11 was a weird one for entertainment because we had no idea what nebulous evil to dedicate ourselves to fighting so just clung onto whatever was convenient, whether it was identity politics or conspiracy theories.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Rugrats was the animators who made the first few seasons of The Simpsons taking what they learned and trying to use it for their own show. Up until that point all kids cartoons on television were either reruns of theatrical animated shorts, lovely Hanna-Barbera shows that were as old as your parents, and toy commercials like Transformers. It's objectively not a great show and it hasn't aged well but there really wasn't anything like it at the time and it was a happy medium between the grossout zaniness of Ren & Stimpy and the incredibly boring sitcom antics of Doug.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Doug sucked because its whole gimmick was "he's a kid with real kid problems, just like you!" but they were so afraid of ever actually changing the status quo or having conflict that any problem corrected itself on its own by the end. Doug has acne and the big party where he wants to impress Patti is tomorrow? Oh wait, turns out it was actually a costume party all along and he can just wear a mask. His sister is blackmailing him? Oh nevermind he found even worse dirt on her so she's backed off.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Futurama was a lot more novel before the internet showed that making math jokes and Star Trek references isn't particularly hard or original.

OldTennisCourt posted:

I can't loving stand those stupid "HEY YOU KNOW THIS CARTOON? LEMMEE TELL YOU HOW IT'S REALLY ABOUT DEAD KIDS/KID IN A COMA/DEMONS/HELL." It's the laziest poo poo in the world.

And then the kids who loved those theories grew up to make Adventure Time and for like a decade after every other cartoon had to have some needlessly complex tragic backstory dragging down their fun adventure shows.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm pretty sure the Gazorpazorp episode sets out to be a self-aware parody of those sorts of "planet of women/planet of men" sci-fi tropes, I just don't think it's clever enough to pull it off. It just ends up being the same thing.

Listening to Harmontown ruined that episode for me because Dan Harmon talks at length about having a mannequin fetish and using his Heat Vision and Jack money to buy a mannequin that he hosed to pieces, which puts a really creepy tilt on him having a scene of a pubescent boy loving a space mannequin in his show. Same with the gag in Community where Senor Chang's girlfriend is a mannequin leg.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

mind the walrus posted:

Holy gently caress this is Little House on the Prairie? I always thought it was about like, a little girl in pigtails watching goats fart while she milked them then telling poppa.

That show was bonkers, everyone on it went blind at least twice I think. And the dad was a total hunk, even with his anachronistic 70s hair :swoon:

Also the series finale was some rich gently caress buying up the town and them blowing it up with dynamite rather than let him take it from them :krad:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Solice Kirsk posted:

In one of Andy Richter's shows he smashes an old woman into a diamond to impress a girl. It's one if my favorite tv gags of all time.

Andy Richter Controls the Universe had great cutaway gags even if the sound design was beyond obnoxious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7of0_IGq9T0

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

sassassin posted:

I watched the show. Bobby is a selfish weasel who loves attention.

The punchline in like half the episodes is that conservative stick-in-the-mud Hank actually does know what's best for his free-spirit idiot child.

King of the Hill is pretty inconsistent with its messages because Mike Judge's involvement waxed and wanted over time; Judge's episodes tend to have Hank as a voice of reason while the ones by the rest of the staff are more willing to have him be wrong and the butt of the joke.

But regardless, Bobby's whole thing is that he's a free spirit and Hank spends so much time trying to stamp that out of him while at the same time his own father doesn't respect him but loves Bobby precisely because he's willing to be himself and not let other people get him down. Much like him being subservient to Mr. Strickland despite him being a terrible person who is way less qualified than he is, Hank is actively making his life worse by doing what he thinks is right instead of what he really wants.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Inescapable Duck posted:

There's a few episodes showing Buck is a greedy idiot who takes advantage of Hank's loyalty and skill. I think there's an outright episode where the fable of 'the goose that laid the golden egg' finally gets to him when he's pushing Hank too hard.

There's also the episode where Hank opens a general store in the country and is fantastic at is and way happier and more fulfilled but is eventually guilted back to Strickland Propane.

To be on topic, King of the Hill is one of the many, many 90s sitcoms to dedicate an episode to the evils of medicine and how kids with developmental issues or behavior problems are just lazy/need to be disciplined/are just being kids maaaan. KotH's episode is especially bad because it's about Bobby being misdiagnosed with ADHD because eating sugar was making him hyper, which is a myth that has been actively disproved over and over.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The one redeeming thing about Family Guy being so long in the tooth and the people involved giving so little poo poo is that they do weird experimental things like a largely joke-free episode of them plotting to kill Quagmire's sister's abusive boyfriend on a camping trip or time traveling to the pilot episode or killing off Brian and even making entire episodes with their new dog to keep the prank going.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wkvVs91TUI

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

stone cold posted:

It's a pretty good show, that episode is just pretty fuckin racist.

Speaking of racism, did anybody bring up the 1964 Twilight Zone episode, The Encounter, with a young George Takei, that, among other things, makes the claim that yes in fact there were Japanese Americans that spied for Imperial Japan during Pearl Harbor and has this charming moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvZjfGMxrmI

Worth noting that it faced considerable backlash even at the time and was yanked out of syndication for quite some years.

Its heart is in the right place with being a cautionary tale against the evils of prejudice but yeah, the ending being an inscrutable Japanese being driven to kill by the spirits of his ancestors is pretty bad.

Speaking of Twilight Zone, I can't believe that Night Gallery was only five years after Twilight Zone because everything about it feels so dated and ugly compared to how timeless and classic Twilight Zone is.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Unless it's a superhero movie or Transformers, in which case grim recreations of 9/11 are par for the course.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
There was an episode of Veronica Mars, Un-American Graffiti, where the ending of that week's mystery is getting a Muslim man deported as retaliation for protesting the war in Iraq, and this is treated as an unequivocally good thing. This would be bad enough if it aired when the post-9/11 fury was at its peak and the invasion of Iraq was actually popular but this episode aired in 2007, well past the point where even Republicans were pretending it was a good idea anymore.

It's even crazier because the entire mystery of the episode is about a restaurant owned by a middle-eastern family being defaced with hateful graffiti, and when they catch the guy who did it they let him off scott-free because he was doing it as retaliation for their employee protesting Iraq and they basically say that he was in the right.

On a lighter note, season 3 had an overarching plotline about a campus rapist that was at one point going to be played by Michael Cera and he even appears in the premiere as a tour guide before scheduling conflicts made him give up the role. Even back then the cute little nerdy kid from Arrested Development playing a rapist is pretty :wtc:, I can't imagine how differently his career could have gone if he had taken that role.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

EmmyOk posted:

I recently thought about trying Veronica Mars and I'm much less enthused now.

It's still a great show, and it's mostly fairly forward-thinking and progressive which makes that episode stand out even more. Though S3 was pretty weak since it was right after UPN was bought out and became The CW so there was a lot of meddling. Also it moved from high school to college and lost a lot.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Speaking of Veronica Mars and school shooting episodes, one episode that was really pleasantly surprising was in season 1 when she's investigating a bomb threat and suspects a fat goonlord at her school because he's awkward and really into weapons but it turns out he's just a hardmless nerd who likes video games and Kurosawa movies.

There was an episode of the (criminally overlooked) detective show Terriers that was chilling at the time but is now somewhat laughable thanks to The Cuck Meme ruining the central twist of them being hired to investigate a wife's infidelity by her husband only for it to turn out that he's a psychopath with a cuckolding fetish who gets dangerous when he finds out that she isn't cheating on him.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

DesperateDan posted:

That film could have really done with pretty much anyone but cruise in the lead role, and an ending that wasn't the inevitable 9/11 based hoorah stuff.

I thought the ending was kind of awesome and also kind of thumbing its nose at the usual Tom Cruise protagonist hero idea because even though Cruise's character spends the entire movie keeping his kids alive at the end they still run to their mom and leave him alone because he was a lovely dad his entire life and even if he saved their lives he's still awful at being an actual parent.

Also while talking about Hollywood directors, it was a TV movie and not a show but The Buried Secret of M. Night Shyamalan has aged terribly for pretty obvious reasons. It came out in 2004, right when his whole reputation as The Next Hitchcock was at its highest right before the fall from grace of The Village, Lady in the Water, and The Happening, and it's a huge monument to ego that was obnoxious at the time and is downright shameful now:

Matt Singer posted:

the film, directed by and starring real-life documentarian Nathaniel Kahn (“My Architect”), was produced for the Sci-Fi Channel in 2004 as guerilla marketing for Shyamalan’s then upcoming feature “The Village.” Within the narrative of the film, Sci-Fi hires Kahn to make a puff piece, Shyamalan avoids the cameras, Kahn starts digging, and finds all kinds of skeletons in his closet. It could be a goofy, winking joke, but rather than air it as a goofy, winking joke, Sci-Fi actually tried to pass the film off as a legitimate documentary. They even convinced the Associated Press that it was true and that Shyamalan was fighting to keep the film from airing; the AP, in turn, published this article detailing the way “Buried Secret,” intended as a “benign profile,” “went sour” until “Shyamalan quit on-screen.” Days before the three-hour doc (about two hours and ten minutes plus TV commercials) was set to air, though, Sci-Fi was forced to admit it had lied about the film and their battle with Shyamalan in another AP story. “We created a fictional special that was part-fact and part-fiction, and Night was part of the creation from the beginning,” said network president Bonnie Hammer.

Let’s get right to the part-fiction stuff. As hard as hard as it might be to believe — especially when you realize that someone thought the public might actually accept this thing as gospel truth — the Shyamalan of “Buried Secret” is a man who has touched the beyond. The secret he’s tried so hard to bury — SPOILER ALERT; READ NO FURTHER IF YOU DON’T WANT TO KNOW M. NIGHT SHYAMALAN’S MADE-UP SEVEN-YEAR-OLD LIFE-ALTERING SECRET — is that at the age of 11, he died for thirty-five minutes, drowning at the bottom of a pond. After they fished Shyamalan out and undied him (the movie does not explain how), young Night found that he could communicate with dead people, a la Haley Joel Osment’s character in “The Sixth Sense.” Thus, as Kahn says to Shyamalan in the confrontation that supposedly pissed him off, “Your movies aren’t fiction, Night. They’re autobiography!”

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Alhazred posted:

That's not really the message of that comic. It's more: Humans ready to do some really shady poo poo in order to win a war.

Also Mr Hyde rapes the Invisible Man to death, Harry Potter kills people by shooting lightning out of his dick, and Rupert Bear fucks prostitutes hired by Dr. Moreau.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

bunnyofdoom posted:

Guys I am starting to think Alan Moore isn't actually that good

Complaining about The Simpsons sucking is beyond old hat but I still get a kick about him using his cameo to complain about corporations running popular things into the ground...over half a decade past the point where most people agree The Simpsons just became a soulless marketing fixture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONGJs1l19aU&t=35s

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Thursday Next posted:

All the bosses on the show are white men with 0 skills, and the show doesn't address it or mock it.

By all accounts of that show's production, that's just being true to Roseanne's actual bosses.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Even at it's most problematic the first few arcs of LoEG we're entertaining which is more than you can say for almost every other "*every pop culture thing I like comes in for a HUGE party*" thing out there, public domain or otherwise. Just stop after the War of the Worlds arc and you're good, it even functions as a pretty natural end point.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
This is pretty old hat to point out but Nightmare at 20,000 Feet has aged really hilariously in almost every way, from people dressing up to go on an airplane to the plaid curtains to the fact that a dude is open carrying a revolver on a plane. And like pretty much everything made before the 80s the smoking game is insane.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

He's no Neil Gaiman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-KKYgmtqqg

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Arthur is full of weird celebrity cameos that have aged terribly, whether due to irrelevance or death or controversy or how horrifying the animal-ized likenesses are.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The Great Gatsby has aged horribly. A WWI veteran would not be that young!

Hamlet has aged horribly. No one says "thee" and "thou" anymore!

The Odyssey has aged horribly. No one uses wooden boats to travel that far!

Look, I tried pointing out how silly things like complaining about Seinfeld not working if they had cell phones are but that ship has sailed so :dealwithit:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebOKo96HfEM

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I wish people would just make up their minds about whether their response to being threatened by people discussing movies in CD is to either not care at all or to obsessively (mis)remember every single discussion that has ever happened there ever. Doing the GBS thing of spending years cataloguing your grievances in humorless anger from afar to show how little you care isn't interesting or funny in any way.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Scholtz posted:

John Big Booty, how well do you feel Buckaroo Banzai has aged?

It's literally unwatchable to anybody who doesn't already have nostalgia for it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Maxwell Lord posted:

The ending of Watchmen is very similar to the Outer Limits episode "The Architects of Fear" (though I think Moore said it was a coincidence)- there, a bunch of people work to try to force world piece by faking an alien invasion, which involves turning one of their own into an alien monstrosity, but it all goes awry.

The dialogue from the final scene of season one of True Detective was lifted verbatim from some comic book, so time really is a flat circle.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Choco1980 posted:

And they're still just barely on that side of the Uncanny Valley

That's because they were a bit to proud of their own work and drew attention to it.

Meanwhile literally nobody noticed that Hugh Jackman was entirely CGI at points in The Wolverine.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Gaunab posted:

Poly relationships don't work out more than they do. Also makes the person look selfish.

Much like how TCC has done more to scare me off of drug use than any actual anti-drug propaganda, /r/relationships has done more to convince me that poly relationships are terrible than a lifetime living in this heteonormative thought prison we call America.

It'll be great for TV drama though.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Tiggum posted:

Where are poly relationships not still regarded as weird deviations from the norm?

Imagine a venn diagram where the two circles are labeled "Tumblr" and "obese"

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Croccers posted:

Rewatching some of the Matrix stuff, it's fun to play Real Keanu V CGI Keanu in fight scenes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8GGwgI2vGU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnVPUK-8P0M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I don't really mind the effects in the Burly Brawl and the big Goku v Superman fights in the Matrix sequels for the same reason I like the skeleton fight in Jason and the Argonauts: they're obviously not trying to be realistic or grounded and are all about spectacle and pushing the limits of what they thought they could do with the tools they had. Yeah it's kind of silly and pointless and it looked fake the day it came out but so is every other fight in the movie and at least this one had bowling pin sound effects when he throws one Smith at a group of Smiths.