Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
So many episodes of South Park. I definitely had my "South Park is the best satire" phase in high school but the older I got the more I realized it's just Matt and Trey making a strawman out of whoever they don't like that week.

The non strawman episodes can be pretty great.

I think the thing that irritates me the most about that show is the hypocrisy and nihilism. Caring about issues is bad, unless they're libertarian ones. Being preachy is bad, unless you're preaching about what Matt and Trey care about, then it's fine and even commendable. Everyone who disagrees with them is just portrayed as a huge babbling idiot.

RobotDogPolice has a new favorite as of 20:28 on Jul 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
Edit: Did not mean to post.

RobotDogPolice has a new favorite as of 22:17 on Aug 2, 2017

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
If memory serves, they don't want to cover Trump now that he's president either, but I haven't watched the show in a while.

I don't think they're obligated to make fun of the guy, but it seems hypocritical considering they haven't shown much reservation in the past.

RobotDogPolice has a new favorite as of 21:34 on Jul 31, 2017

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016

spog posted:

Let's be honest: the guy is so far beyond parody, how do you do something outrageous and funny about him, when the real world antics are even worse?

A lot of the people they make fun of are already a parody of themselves though. They make fun of them specifically for that reason, then they make those people represent an entire philosophy.

It just seems like your priorities are totally hosed when you devote time to ridiculing safe spaces, something that's relatively innocuous, but decide to say nothing about policies that are actually impacting people's lives while claiming to be satire.

RobotDogPolice has a new favorite as of 23:48 on Jul 31, 2017