Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I'm not going to read through hundreds of pages, but I'll add the Cosby Show's "barbecue sauce" episode as one that should never have been filmed, and definitely did not age well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Uh because the oscars are garbage?

Remember "The King's Speech?" I don't.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

You don't watch Scrubs for J.D., Turk, Elliot, or Carla. You watch Scrubs for its true hero, Dr. Jan Itor.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

For background shows, I would play The Nanny while grinding poo poo in Guild Wars 2. It's a pretty decent thing to have in the background, but I like Fran Drescher. I can see how her voice might be enough to make people shut off the show.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Zedd posted:

Also Dx Cox.
(I love(d) scrubs but it is one of the shows that ages worse due to being old-humour and modern-humour the most)

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

That's a funny way to say "Dr. Cox".

Cox is funny, but he's an rear end in a top hat and his jokes/lines haven't aged well. Janitor is great because he spends all of his time pranking J.D., who is one of the worst humans in existence.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Len posted:

Season 1 Janitor was also written to only interact with JD as a potential imaginary friend

I like to think of Janitor as being JD's conscience desperately trying to flagellate him for being such a huge piece of poo poo.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

i love fran drescher's voice.

:same:

I loved that show because the shenanigans she pulled to meet celebrities reminded of the escapades on I Love Lucy, another great show to play in the background.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

RBA Starblade posted:

They really ramped up the insanity early too

Loomer posted:

And if you ever want an in-universe explanation, we've seen that literally all of them are down with huffing some glue, spraypaint, or petrol from time to time. The gang's increasing derangement is clearly a product of solvent-induced brain damage.

I love how quickly the gang has devolved into madness, especially when they are confronted with the truth that they are not as cool or normal as they think they are. It also gives them the flexibility to film really different episodes like the Charlie Work, Frank's life, or when Mac and Dennis move to the suburbs.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

duck trucker posted:

It's been a while since I've seen that episode but I thought the McPoyle's claimed they were molested and Charlie was the one who knew they were lying.

bobjr posted:

Charlie was molested, the McPoyles hop on the wagon, and Mac is jealous that he wasn’t molested

food court bailiff posted:

Charlie was absolutely molested but it was from his freaky uncle with the tiny hands and not the gym coach. For the gym coach he went along with the McPoyle's scheme long enough to record their confession and throw them in prison for it.

This is the whole reason the McPoyles and the gang have beef.

Principal Belding did nothing wrong

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

House is the first show I ever saw that turned into bad fanfiction of itself while it was still on air.

Sherlock is another show that had that happen circa Season 3.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Yeah, the one thing you can definitely take from Scrubs is that people who work in the medical profession are crazy, and doctors and surgeons are more often than not hugely arrogant assholes. It's not a good show, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy it. I love Two Broke Girls, but I'll be the first to say it's a terrible show.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

evobatman posted:

After the period with the rear end in a top hat geniuses, we got the flawed female protagonist. She's an alcoholic autistic nymphomaniac bipolar law enforcement officer, working reluctantly with her straight man partner to solve crimes her supervisors find politically inconvenient!

I know, I love iZombie

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Queen Combat posted:

"Are the allegations against Kevin Spacey true?"

:catstare: Yes, absolutely yes.

That video is probably the worst thing he could have done, other than screaming, "I'm gay!" at the media or something else utterly incomprehensible.

That video is insane

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

food court bailiff posted:

that rapper went on to write Hamilton lmao

:thejoke:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

muscles like this! posted:

It's kind of funny how long he had to slum as side characters on bad TV shows before all of a sudden he became one of the most celebrated men in the industry. Even right before Hamilton came out he was still doing crap like "Do No Harm" a modern day Jekyll and Hyde show that lasted half a season.

To be fair, if someone came up telling me that they wanted to do a hip-hop opera about the Founding Fathers, I'd probably tell them to lay off the booze.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I enjoyed Breaking Bad in the first season because Walt was relatable and sympathetic. He was someone trying to provide for his family who got dealt a bad hand in life, finding out he had cancer and that the treatment would bankrupt him. He was kind of an rear end in a top hat, but he wasn't pure evil. Once it started telegraphing that Walt was turning into a crime boss/monster, I lost interest because there are way too many shows on TV about unsympathetic characters and I get depressed way too easily to waste my time watching that garbage. :shrug:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

duck trucker posted:

You're not wrong and I can't blame you for not wanting to watch that but BB was good about bring Hank up to be more sympathetic while they were tearing Walt down.

Yeah, I kind of felt bad for Hank. He's portrayed as a jackass, but he's not a bad person.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I miss Frisky Dingo so much. Archer is funny, but it's not the same. I need more Xander Crews and Master Cylinder dances.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah, seriously. Archer got tired really quickly, and devolved into endlessly repeated catchphrases surprisingly fast.

Frisky Dingo is so quotable, in the best way. Then again, so is Sealab. And Aqua Teen. And Metalocalypse.

Exactly!

muscles like this! posted:

They made two episodes of a FD spin off that was floated to give Adam Reed time off until he felt ready to return but nothing really came of it. Although, in the vein of this thread, Frisky Dingo does have the problem of a few too many rape jokes with the character of Ronnie.

Never trust a Russian named Ronnie

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Casey Finnigan posted:

I know I'm late on Breaking Bad chat but I think a lot of the reason why people got so attached to Walter White was because the first episode laid the pity party on so thick. He really kinda seemed like he had the worst life in the world. Although when you hear his backstory you find out his lovely situation is mostly his own fault.

For me it was midway through season 3 that I decided I couldn't stand the characters since they all sucked so bad and I quit watching. Same thing happened with Better Call Saul when they started telegraphing Jimmy's descent into crime. Like obviously I know it's gonna happen because he ends up as Saul Goodman, but it kind of coincided with all the characters becoming kind of douchey.

I dunno maybe I'm just a child and want a total good guy protagonist.

I feel the same way, and just consider it more fatigue with the cynical anti-hero obsession. Sometimes it's nice to have good guys being good for goodness' sake rather than out of some contrived selfish desire.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Pick posted:

fanfiction is more good than most of the shows you watch, fellas

https://myimmortalrehost.webs.com/chapters122.htm

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I think a good rule of thumb is that people who consider themselves to be "relationship experts" are usually full of poo poo. See Dan Savage or Steve Harvey.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Dan Savage is bad now? Seriously asking, I haven't kept up with him or his articles/whatever he does. I just remember that he was a good voice (edit:) against ridiculous anti-gay stuff.

Like Rick Santorum.

Dan Savage's go-to relationship advice is "open up the relationship."

I get it, some people are poly and can handle that poo poo. Others, like me, are not. :shrug:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Is it wrong that I miss goofy Bryan Cranston roles? Like Tim Whatley or Malcom's dad? He's a great dramatic actor, but he's a better comedic one IMHO.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

BrigadierSensible posted:

This made me think. What was the surname of Malcolm's family in Malcolm in the Middle? Was it ever said?

Yeah, I'm not sure-

Toshimo posted:

No. It was a running gag.

Lol, of course it was.

I still love the episode that revealed Malcom's dad had arranged his schedule so he wouldn't have to work on Fridays, and he tried to keep that secret from the whole family, lol

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I will always be impressed with the writer's dedication to her craft. Also, lol at turning Ron into Diabolo.

CommonShore posted:

COOOOODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY 2

I've never met anyone who gets that reference.

Frisky Dingo is a masterpiece. I keep trying to find the videos of Killface's reasons for destroying the world. They are loving classic.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

GoutPatrol posted:

Frisky Dingo taught me what Reservoir Dogs was. And I really wanted a Scion.

YEAH!

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Adult Swim seemed to thrive on rapid-fire nonsense humour and taking the piss out of formulaic show premises. There's something very specific about it, especially with mocking all the cliche-ridden Hanna-Barbera shows no one ever really cared about. Though a lot of them seemed to run out of material quick or take it in different directions. A lot of the line-crossing humour hasn't aged very well, though. Also probably isn't quite as funny if you hadn't spent some hours watching Hanna-Barbera repeats when really, really bored.

It still does. That's what the Eric Andre show is, and it's fantastic.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Preem Palver posted:

Frisky Dingo really got to the core of American politics in the second season.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lvp8cIVDC9Y

Taqu'il had one of the classiest death scenes. Who else has been killed by a gigantic pair of great Hagar slacks?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

That was Ronnie.

Cripes, I guess that means I need to rewatch it!

Mu Zeta posted:

They haven't made a new episode in like 3 years though.

:negative: I'm so out of the loop with everything, and this makes me sad. Eric Andre and Hannibal Buress are brilliant together. They also do a good job ruining each other's Tinder game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uwYo_M_I5Q

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

'80s cartoons look great when you see stills of them. It's not until you start watching that you get hit with the reality of how lovely they were. The choppy animation and stilted dialog really make it hard to watch. That being said, Thudercats rules and its opening is better than anything else on TV today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcGNqrAtsgg

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Gaunab posted:

There was this weird action movie trend in the 90s where they'd have the main actor play twins. It added nothing to the story and seemed to be there so they could do wacky twin hijinks. Maybe Sister Sister influenced a lot of people. Sad that Steven Segal didn't do one because you know he doesn't have the range to play two people and he wouldn't want to play the wimpy twin.

It's also disappointing because this would have been a masterpiece of disaster art.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Araenna posted:

Inuyasha had a lot of good backgrounds. They'd do a fair amount of long shots of backgrounds, especially near the beginning, to save money. The ones of the past were especially pretty. They also used them to help establish and reinforce the difference between the Edo era and modern Tokyo. Always felt like it was one of the shows that used cost-cutting like that to their advantage really well. Honestly, Inuyasha could be really pretty in general.

I got sucked into Inuyasha when Toonami started airing it at night, and 100% agree. It's very pretty when it wants to be, but good grief that show starts to drag. I never could finish it.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

purple death ray posted:

It's a Rumiko Takahashi joint, they're legally obligated to have several hundred episodes each

This is true

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

BattleMaster posted:

It's the fate of any anime that has to drag things out while waiting for the manga artist to put out the next chapter. I really adored Inuyasha but I think I'd only rewatch it if it were edited for pacing now that it's finished.

:same: I did enjoy the Shippo episodes that bought them some time, but mainly because Shippo slowly won over my heart as the best of the companions.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Oh, I’ll take David Warner over Malcolm McDowell any day. Every day. All day.

:same:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

April because Aubrey Plaza can't act or come across as anything other than lolrandom

She's pretty good in Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates :shrug:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

The Bloop posted:

I mean, I get it, but embarrassment humor doesn't work for me.

Different strokes for different folks. :shrug:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

To clarify, I meant, did Ron ever insinuate that women are inferior than men at ______, or make typical toxic masculinity comments, not full on mental abuse.

In conclusion, it does seem really silly to associate Ron with toxic masculinity.

They're probably referring to things like the Ron Swanson Pyramid of Greatness:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

You've probably seen more by now, but just in case: skip the first season entirely before judging it. Also, episodes have more weight when viewed in sequence than popping in randomly, where you don't get the full context of everything going on.

I think Season 2 through Jim's & Pam's Wedding is a good stretch to start and stop watching.