Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The allies were anticipating a strike through Belgium and had the germans not changed plans at the last minute and gone for the ardennes, which even most german generals did not agree with, the germans would’ve driven straight into the top-tier french first army in prepared positions instead of hitting third rate comscripts and bypassing the whole french army and BEF.

Neither the french nor the brits were drooling incompetents, they were outplayed by an inspired strategy that Hitler miraculously approved of. Had Hitler been less of a gambler the allied war plan would’ve come off looking pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Solice Kirsk posted:

You always know where you stand with a nazi!

One could say, you gotta hand it to Nazis

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Is Jesse not likeable?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Solice Kirsk posted:

Better Call Saul is a slog to get through after season 2. There was maybe 5 hours of interesting story in the last 20 episodes. I really liked the first two seasons though. Well, the first season, got annoying when they hit the reset button at the beginning of the second once they found out they had a bunch more seasons to make.

Imo it’s much easier to watch on netflix than to wait a week for 40 more minutes of slow story.

It’s great but it’s sloooow.

E: ouchhhhh, Aziz Ansari’s intro in parks and rec does not age well for him.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 02:31 on Mar 5, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Can’t believe people born in ‘83 are posting around here these days.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Groke posted:

It was the 70s, everything was ugly as sin.

Source: I was born in the 70s and remember a little of it.

Nana? Are you lost?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Krispy Wafer posted:

If you like brown earth tones the 70's were awesome.

The animation was terrible though. I think people forget just how awful cartoons were from about the mid-70's until 1989 when the Little Mermaid kicked off the new Disney era.

People from after that sure don’t forget. I remember seeing garbage reruns of the “good” shows like Transformers and He-man and loving loathing them compared to my Doug and Rugrats. And I remember being baffled online a few years later when the first wage of 80s nostalgia kicked in and the then-20 goons were reminiscing about how great cartoons were back in the 80s.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Sofia the First, however, is to the guillotine.

E: Chris Pratt as a fat loser has also aged poorly in early Parks and Rec, but not in the way Tom did

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 02:35 on Mar 7, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I rewatched Death Note (or rather, the good early part where L is alive) recently and I had forgotten how like half the show is practically static shots. The camera flying around and the ott orchestral music create a sense of action that the animation doesn’t.

There’s so much internal monologuing that you often don’t even see characters’ lips moving.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
There’s a “throwback” radio program on atm telling the struggle of a working guy in 1961. He didn’t get enough training in construction jobs, so he walked out and found factory work but even then could only get a bit of training as a mechanic, in addition to spraypainting, and also general floor labour when there was nothing else to be had. It was barely enough to face the daily struggles every working class man faces: a mortgage and new clothes.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Nutsngum posted:

Let me guess he was also supporting a wife and two kids at the same time.

Four kids and a wife.

And let me clarify it was a real broadcast from ‘61, interviewing the Clever Working Man from the factory, intended to help people and introduce them to the wild idea of the company paying for up to half of their further technical education, as long as their employer figured they had the competence for the intended skill.

A loving steelworkers union leader came on and rooted for it, but clarified that success and a living would be on the individual’s back.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Pretty sure the one from the soviet union is the only one with a specific country of origin, although we all know Wheeler isn’t canadian or mexican.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Captain Planet definitely succeeded if his goal was to prepare me for an adulthood where no one cares about climate change and laughs at anyone who takes it seriously.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Len posted:

I thought it was less arranged marriage and more like grooming? He imprinted on this baby as his future soul mate and was going to help raise her until the time she was old enough to marry him

Yeah its this. Also the baby ages extra fast because of its vampire genes or whatever.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The cameos of politicians like John McCain, Joe Biden, Cory Booker, and Orrin loving Hatch as wacky, loveable guys in Parks and Rec is aging poorly by the day.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Solice Kirsk posted:

Is that the same one where he sucked his friend's dick? Seem to remember hearing about that, but not the underage part. Also something about that not being allowed to be joked about at his roast.

There’s apparently two Rob Lowe sex tapes. The one with the minor, and the one that’s a consensual bi threesome.

And yeah what really makes Parks and Rec a pain later on is how everything has to work out for everyone. Always Sunny barely holds up because the gang has always sucked and keeps sucking.

I liked Andy and April as dysfunctional children. I liked Leslie as a delusional, narcissistic bureaucrat. I liked Tom as a laughingstock. I don’t need or want all of these idiots getting paired off and raising kids and having happy endings. Also, by the end, Pawnee might as well be Springfield in that the whole town is just the same fotating bit characters brought back over and over.

April groaning at how boring they’ve become in the last season holds up

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

hawowanlawow posted:

wasn't aziz exonerated? p hosed up that wankers still jab at him to make themselves feel good

Iirc he didn’t do anything illegal to be exonerated of, just kind of displayed the sort of oblivious, aggressive straight guy pushiness that loads of non famous dudes do every day.

So, certifies him as an rear end in a top hat (or former rear end in a top hat, maybe’s he’s changed) but yeah it fell out of the spotlight pretty quick in a world where Cosbys and Saviles exist. Unfortunately lots of people take from that “Aziz did nothing wrong” rather than “Aziz did things quite wrong but hey at least he isn’t drugging people to rape them or loving corpses.”

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Andy, April, and Gerry are the only Parks and Rec characters I’d dare hang with.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I literally cannot imagine preferring Ben to April. This is not a joke.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Solice Kirsk posted:

Agreed. Who would want to hang out with a guy that just wants to sit around playing board games and drinking with friends when they could hang out with an annoying snarky teenager who's actually in their late 20's?

Exactly

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The US Office for all the ways it sucks holds up way better than Parks and Rec

(No UK office that doesn’t mean you’re the best, your Office holds up worst of all)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Brother Entropy posted:

karen deserves better than jim

but so does pam for that matter so idk where i'm going with this

Jim loving sucks. The other non-Michael characters become caricatures as the show goes on but Jim is a straight up rear end from episode 1. I don’t get why he’s popular or why anyone rooted for jim/pam

Wait I do, he’s the dweeby straight white guy self-insert character and portrayed by a cute actor

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Koalas March posted:

Even ignoring all of Jim's pranks he does a bunch of lovely things like buying a whole house and starting a company without telling his wife.

And the “resolution” of that drama is Pam going “oh yes this all makes so much sense, you were right all along my beloved husband”

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Early Dwight and later Dwight are almost completely different characters. He goes from successful sycophant to psychopath.

But to me Jim comes off as an rear end in a top hat to him regardless. Whether he’s Assistant to the Regional Manager or frontman for Schrute Farms or whatever, he’s a dude just living his best life while Jim keeps harassing him for no reason.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

trickybiscuits posted:

He's so wrong about buffets.

Rather, you are.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

purple death ray posted:

So go to a wipe down diner or a taco truck or something and get some quality greasy garbage food at least, buffets are for people who bitch that the seasoned fries at Arby's are too spicy

Lol thank god the Correct About Food police are here to tell people what level of spiciness their choices represent

E: gonna bet you’re from the midwest, below 30, went to Thailand once, and KNOW that all these idiots can’t handle a single jally peno in their food

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 17:45 on Mar 26, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If the word buffet immediately conjures up Luby’s or Golden Corral or whatever to you then you are midwestern at heart, if not at birth

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I actually like, or liked last time I saw, the first couple hints of Oscar being gay. In a season one episode he and Angela are having a chat about a lovely “him” that we assume to be Michael and then Angela snaps at Kevin for asking about it. And in another, or maybe the same, episode Kevin tries to joke about Michael “coming out” of his office and Angela snaps “that’s inappropriate.”

Growing up gay in rural Texas I also like how Angela is portrayed in those interactions. She’s a weirdo and an ultraconservative christian, but also, not a bigot. She’s a friend to Oscar more than anything. Those people exist irl and helped me out.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I swear this happens somewhere in season 1, around the basketball game.

Oscar is officially in the closet at this point but the hints are there.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It’s a film, but I’m watching the 1999 Mummy with Brendan Fraser, and it either aged very poorly or very well depending on what the filmmakers’ intentions were.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Don't agree on The Mummy Returns.

Ok, Returns gave us the proto-meme of Imhotep power sliding into frame to go “NOOO” so you have to give it that.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Solice Kirsk posted:

Both have enormous national news networks though.

CNN and MSNBC haven’t gone full out “sexual assault is fine” though

At least I don’t think they have?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

oldpainless posted:

Notre flame lmbo

More like olddameless

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Noter Daym is the football school Notre Dame is the cathedral

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
2016 campaign coverage certainly didn’t age well

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I identify with Charlie from always sunny

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
When we get to the 40s do we have massive social programs and kill a bunch of nazis?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
There is one thing that’s bad about Due South: it might make someone think that the real RCMP are good guys

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Captain Monkey posted:

That exists, its called beer.

Then you’ve just got to find people who will drink beer with you. Yeah, so easy :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah I just now realized how House Elf translates to irl "house slaves" and how she never touches on whatever the "field elves" are supposed to be up to