Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

houstonguy posted:

I just started rewatching the Venture Brothers and they use “gay” as a synonym for “bad” at least like twice an episode in the first two seasons.

yeah the creators of the show talk about this in a regretful fashion

it's easy to forget, since it takes so long to make venture bros, that they just aired season 7 and season 1 is firmly grounded in early aughts adult swim sensibilities. so the show is still trying to shake off some of the poor treatment of LGBT characters and discussions that have definitely evolved over 15 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

CommonShore posted:

please give more info on t his venture bros book

it's a giant textbook of production assets and anecdotes. like a five hundred page all-series commentary. it is great and excellent for fans of the show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yw-WRvM9ug

StrangersInTheNight posted:

yyyeah, i've heard/seen that, and i know that's what they've gone with in the show, but given how heavy-handed the joke is in the earlier two seasons, my honest opinion is they retconned it after realizing how incredibly lovely it was

turns out 'lol she's a MAN, bay-beee' isn't as funny in retrospect, and unfortunately you can't really 'undo' the earlier joke. it just sort of exists as an example of a worse time, just a scant 15-20 years ago.

venture bros is one of the most heavily retconned shows i can think of. they dropped a huge, massive retcon at the beginning of this season that reaches back to the second episode ever so yeah, they're not afraid to rewrite the entire show

at first sheila (dr. girlfriend) was intended to be the competent second in command of whatever the villain-of-the-week was. like some new idiot with a dumb concept and dr. girlfriend would be the one helping him out. like she was just casually dating all these different costumed antagonists. the monarch was intended to be a one off character, but in their scramble to get the first season of the show produced they just never came up with other villains-of-the-week and so he became the primary antagonist and a full character himself

other characters joke about sheila's voice but it's never truly fully explained in universe except her saying she was (is?) a heavy smoker. most likely they never intended for her to be a directly trans character, but rather since it's the same two guys who do all the voices for all the characters it was easier to do a deep guttural bass voice than a convincing female falsetto, and also that is funny. which spurred some in universe speculation from other characters about how she's really a man but no, she's just a woman with an implausible voice and by now they've fully leaned in to sheila as being a competent female character in her own right

much of the bad behavior of the show can be explained by two guys with sometimes immature attitudes under intense production pressure to make this boutique show. honestly the show probably would have been canceled years ago if mike lazzo, the head of adult swim, wasn't such a huge fan of the show who provided the creators ample space to do whatever. so the show picked up some of that adult swim insensitivity at first but as society has evolved the creators evolved with it and now they try to avoid that stuff - the most egregious example possibly being sgt. hatred's pedophilia which has been retconned/cured away, and which they also say they regret using as a basis for multiple jokes

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

RBA Starblade posted:

How has that show been out 15 years, only had six seasons, and is still going

mike lazzo, the head of adult swim, likes the show a lot and the show continues to get decent enough ratings and press. it's a cult show so as long as lazzo is around it will keep stumbling along even if it does take like three years to make each season. he's pretty quick to cut other shows, like ATHF

in s4e11, the one where zeus kidnaps everyone, lazzo and another adult swim exec keith crawford have cameos as dudes on a golf course who get shot by general treister cardholder and doe after witnessing a secret OSI contraption

this is lazzo

so there's going to be some kind of a special relationship there between network head and show creator if you're willing to gun down your boss in universe

e: different pic

Mr. Fall Down Terror has a new favorite as of 01:09 on Dec 11, 2018

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Detective No. 27 posted:

Isn't it also the last hand drawn animated series too? That's gotta add some time to production.

there's plenty of traditionally animated tv shows - adventure time, gravity falls, stephen universe, rick and morty are all hand drawn iirc. i'm not sure how much more expensive it is but it can work as a stylistic decision. although these shows are often blended with cgi for certain effects, like vehicles and other complex objects

e: disenchantment, too. last year wiki says there were like 15 trad animated shows released in the us, though i've never heard of most of them

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

uvar posted:

If I haven't seen any of Venture Bros, is this one of the times where it's better to start midway through and loop around when I run out of new stuff?

no, venture bros is extremely serialized with tons of development and callbacks. start from the first episode, even though the first two seasons can be kind of rough

it's gotta be a trip to watch all of venture bros all the way through because it changes rapidly in terms of writing and production quality

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Glagha posted:

Shore Leave is a hell of a weird turn from weird gay joke stereotype character to being like my second favorite character

he started in that clip as the spokesguy for the GI Joe/Village People crossover concept, and then it was funny for him to be the closeted bible camp guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_QGEmoFhDk

and then i guess they needed to give brock a buddy/peer to chat with and it's like, well, brock is already the apex of macho heterosexuality, so let's just do a guy who is the apex of macho homosexuality and turn his camp up to 11 and he rules

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

purple death ray posted:

I've never watched this show but Shore Leave is such a good name, it really could have been an actual GI Joe character but it's still pretty silly. That's extremely solid parody.

in the book they complain that they kept coming up with gi joe parodies and then on research discovering that their concepts were actual obscure joes and they had to try again

this leads to minor osi characters like bum rush, who was a dude dressed as a homeless guy pushing another dude dressed like a dog around in a shopping cart

Brother Entropy posted:

i imagine a good 30% of the reason the venture brothers has gone on so long is because doc and jackson love having a reason to make up pastiche names like that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ioLebEUHhw

Mr. Fall Down Terror has a new favorite as of 20:27 on Dec 11, 2018

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Araenna posted:

How does the whole thing with General Hunter Gathers being a trans woman and transitioning and then going back on it because of it being some deep cover thing hold up? I haven't done a rewatch in some time.

i dont think he identifies as a woman versus just wanting to have big beautiful tits

in a later episode he gets in a literal dick measuring contest with phantom limb so i'd say don't worry about superscience shenanigans in the context of LGBT representation, the show is already kind of bad re: female characters and how they are portrayed. he's genderfluid. his male and female sides are in a knife fight for supremacy

Mr. Fall Down Terror has a new favorite as of 23:24 on Dec 11, 2018

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Megillah Gorilla posted:

One of their best names.

He's a guy who dresses like a frog who throws bricks at people.

But:

the book has a major revelation here - the fact that a brick has a bit called a frog is not the genesis of the name

turns out one of the creators, can't remember which one, had a homemade frog head mask as a kid his mom made. he and his cousins were just playing one day in costumes and the cousin put on the frog head and yelled something about being a brick frog. there's a childhood pic of the frog head

so, one of the more obscure puns they came up with is sadly just a coincidence

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Laterite posted:

She could turn out to be completely ineffective and/or a charlatan, but just the fact that she is causing a collective :monocle: means she's probably doing something right.

it's the same impulse that makes people lose their minds about millenials existing, except now a very identifiably millenial individual is in congress

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

uvar posted:

I look forward to the next season which I casually assume will be later this year sometime)

hahahahaha

we'll be lucky if it airs in 2021

season 1 - 2004
season 2 - 2006
season 3 - 2008
season 4 - 2009-2010
season 5 - 2013
season 6 - 2016
season 7 - 2018

welcome to venture brothers fandom. please enjoy your stay

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Araenna posted:

Also, in my area at least, when it was still common to see them, they were often either 15 years old, or developmentally disabled.

it depends on which store, in the southeast there's a grocery chain called publix which hires teens, recent immigrants, the mildly disabled, and other people who need a basic entry level job. they'll bag groceries and offer to carry them out to your car for you. publix also pays good wages w/ benefits so it's one of those make-work jobs that's actually useful for a society because everyone needs to get paid

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

The Bloop posted:

They also fight against gay rights and fair pay for farm workers!

any participation in capitalism taints all of us but in the meantime they pay good wages and benefits to workers which is better than an amoral company which pays crap

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
ok

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Wheat Loaf posted:

You know what I always notice as a thing that ages tv shows and movies every single time?

Mobile phones.

you mean the devices build on environmental degredation and exploitation of child and immigrant labor, creating some of the largest concentrations of capital on the planet and lashing all users into a voluntary web of privacy erosion and corporate espionage?

i find it weirder to see older dumbphones in shows than no mobile phones at all, everyone using landlines and pay phones makes more narrative sense than the odd period of calling after 9pm on a brick

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

christmas boots posted:

Wasn’t there one about a train that didn’t want to do his job so the conductor gave him the ol’ Montresor?

the third episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO6qIM2WO6k&t=169s

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
looks more like vladimir lenin than tupac

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ugly In The Morning posted:

This is a lot of why Always Sunny has stayed quality TV in the decade+ it's been on the air. The creators act in it, they still write for it, and they're willing to get weird with it if it's what's right for the show.

Most comedies poo poo the bed at season six or so because of writing turnover and whatnot.

the creators of the show (glenn howerton, charlie day, rob mcilhenny) have been writing less and less for the show, which seems to correspond to what people call the 'decline' of the show

in season 4, at least one of those three have writing credits on 10/13 episodes and they wrote three episodes together, including the nightman cometh episode

by season 6, charlie and rob wrote 4/14 episodes, with no writing from glenn

the three wrote half of season 8, and half of season 10, and 4/10 of season 12

the most recent season has one dual credit from charlie and rob

really though i think the problem here is that the creators of the show want to do something else, anything else, but always sunny still makes money, so...

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
a friend of mine didn't know there was a second half to the last season of breaking bad, so she was confused when she got to the end which was just hank taking a poo poo, realizing walt was ozymandias, drop curtain, roll credits. for a hot minute she wondered why everyone was getting all "wow this is the best show" when it ends with dean norris, confused and deucing. like that's a decent ending but kind of weird?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Adult Swim seemed to thrive on rapid-fire nonsense humour and taking the piss out of formulaic show premises. There's something very specific about it, especially with mocking all the cliche-ridden Hanna-Barbera shows no one ever really cared about. Though a lot of them seemed to run out of material quick or take it in different directions. A lot of the line-crossing humour hasn't aged very well, though. Also probably isn't quite as funny if you hadn't spent some hours watching Hanna-Barbera repeats when really, really bored.

a ton of early adult swim was precipitated by mid 90's cartoon network, which was mostly just reruns of 70's and 80's cartoons, including this show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecQkZ_xIQJQ

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
at least, a stoned college demographic that was raised on youtube instead of daytime cable television

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Great Metal Jesus posted:

I know for sure I've seen episodes of this show on repeat on cartoon network but I have absolutely zero recollection of it whatsoever.

Also that cartoon where Gary Coleman's an angel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J9QIF6oe44

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Kids animation is probably better now that the cartoons aren't literally toy commercials.

it really is, kids animation is leagues better now that it's trying to teach real lessons and explore moral issues jr. rather than just sell toys

you do still get toy franchise bullshit though, like paw patrol or pj masks or frenetic nonsense like that. britain has a lot of great shows though, ben and holly's little kingdom is great and sarah and duck is like televised valium

(source: i have a toddler)

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Skratchez posted:

Not if you work in waste management.

i thought SA mods weren't paid :confused:

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
it makes sense that the drug gang is using cheap beepers and payphones though, they're much harder to trace as the cops have to physically watch the payphones to log when their target is using the phone. also you'd stand out if you were a guy walking around the dangerous projects with a fancy cellphone and nobody's trying to mess with you about it.

lester is the physical manifestation of "technology cannot replace good police work"

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Barry Foster posted:

It's Always Sunny arguably succumbed to Flanderization and it's still great, after all these years.

it makes more sense in always sunny though because they're still the same terrible people, just with an additional ten years of substance abuse and accumulated bad decisions and moral decay. this was the reason for the Fat Mac season

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
everyone wants always sunny to end except for the executives at disney/fox/fx/fxx who have no other tentpole shows to prop up that network, the only other show with similar profile is archer which also needs to be put down

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
westerns were a dominant genre for at least sixty years all together in multiple phases

many of the very first films were westerns, because they were cheap to film and western/cowboy literature was popular since it was referencing relatively recent historical mythology. like the very first primitive silent films were made about a decade after the gunfight at the ok corral. and people always like black and white morality stories

then westerns became cliche and old hat (though still popular, just not dominant) because of a shift of cultural focus to cosmopolitanism and contemporary stories in the roaring 20's/great depression. think jazz musicals and gangster films. westerns were either too grandpa or too depressing to be on top

then after ww2 people wanted easy national american folklore heroic stories again, and westerns were on top for films and television because again, they are super cheap to film in southern california. and you started getting more diversity in westerns with stuff like comedy-westerns like f troop or just pure nostalgia westerns like little house on the prairie

then non-american directors started getting in on the whole western thing with stuff like spaghetti westerns (again, cheap to film in that large chunks of spain are also scrubby desert) and akira kurosawa doing "what if i did western, but with samurai" because it's a very translatable idea so westerns continued to stick around, triggering further continuations and explorations of the genre (midnight cowboy is a western, so is blazing saddles). this was especially popular in america in the 1970s as people used westerns to criticize american ideals (easy rider being an extreme example of this)

finally everyone got completely sick of westerns and now they're pretty much just gritty period pieces even if they're still popular enough either as pure genre flicks or some kind of modified western show (westworld, cowboy bebop, firefly)

but yeah, they never really went away, they're just extremely flexible in what kind of stories you can tell and also they're about the cheapest things you can film since it's mostly people standing around outside in the desert anyway

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Adult Illiteracy posted:

I mean... cowboy's right there in the title. But I'm not sure I'd call it a western - could you elaborate?

if you really boil a western down till there's a little nubbin left, it's about a heroic figure having adventures in a wide open landscape

spike is a bounty hunter with a tragic past who roams space. it's on the edge of what you can call a western but it's within that broadest genre definition

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

purple death ray posted:

Blade was ahead of its time. It predicted both the comic book movie wave and the black trench coat Matrix aesthetic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV_i8AefT8I

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Nutsngum posted:

The funny thing about this is if you actually study Earp and the gunfight etc.. you realize it is basically the definition of morally grey occurrences where mostly everyone involved was in the wrong in some way.

for sure, but it wasn't until the mid 20th century that people started breaking out of the white hat/black hat mentality

tombstone is a sort of good depiction of the event, and val kilmer is the best doc holliday

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Aesop Poprock posted:

Midnight Cowboy, the film he was talking about, is about a male prostitute in NYC

ah i assumed the goon was talking about anime

midnight cowboy is a commentary on westerns because it takes a cowboy trope and makes him a male sex worker in the largest american city. like the fact joe buck is walking around pretty much chewing on straw in the most anti-cowboy situation you can think of means he's propping up the 'this is a commentary on westerns' by himself. in the 70s american filmmakers returned to westerns to talk about american identity and midnight cowboy is what you get when you change every aspect of the western except the cowboy protagonist

e: an anti-western, he's not riding the open plains but in order to get what the film is trying to say you have to be familiar with westerns and how they portray the rugged american man

Mr. Fall Down Terror has a new favorite as of 16:46 on Mar 29, 2019

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
*points at seagull* "western"

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

It's not really fair to say that sci-fi is more expensive, it was also very cheap for a very long time.

when kirk is always skulking around "desert planets" sure

gangster movies were also probably pretty cheap to film

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Len posted:

I know nothing about architecture and laws but can't they just rebuild it exactly due to historic significance?

yeah but it's going to be, uh, expensive to accurately rebuild a thousand year old gothic cathedral

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Tiggum posted:

Wow, she gave away a whole 16% of her billion dollars? That must have been so hard for her.

that was in 2011 alone

jk rowling is bad for many reasons but let's not pretend that she isn't generous with her wizard money, we can stick to the realm of actual things she has done in reality to criticize her over

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Which guy from MST3K is the one who is bizarrely super conservative and refers to the Minnesota Star Tribune as the Red Star Tribune
I always found it sorta impressive that I never heard people complain about politics seeping into the show, regardless of people's preference in the Joel vs Mike debate

mike nelson isn't bizzarely super conservative, he's about as conservative as you would expect from a churchy boomer who grew up in suburban minnesota

like all the good conservative comedians, he doesn't mix his comedy and his politics

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Mike’s time as head writer also features the same kind of contempt for the all-white postwar suburbs that you sometimes see from the red letter media guys, who I think were likewise midwestern suburbanites raised to be churchy. He was definitely always willing to call white cultural hegemony boring and lame and racist.

both bill corbett and kevin murphy seem pretty left and with it, and frank conniff if in that grouchy old man way

at least we can say that the mst3k writer's room collectively punched in all directions with the sensibilities of the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Tiggum posted:

Patrick Stewart is not a "serious roles only" actor. He's a major character in American Dad, he played the poop in the emoji movie, and he did an episode of Extras, amongst other things.

one of the later star trek movies has a dune buggy in it for the sole reason that patrick stewart likes dune buggy racing and wanted to drive one around in a movie. that's really him driving the thing, not a stunt driver. and if patrick stewart says "i think picard should tear rear end around the planet in a sweet dune buggy" well then that's what is going to happen in the next star trek movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnI2ssIPr3s&t=20s