Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Danaru posted:

Not a specific episode but I played a bit of a Flintstones game on SNES the other day, and your wife being a nagging harpy is a game mechanic :whitewater:

More specifically your wife yells at you because you just up and left to go find treasure without telling her, and you never actually DO tell her what you're up to because UH OH THE OL' BALL AND CHAIN so she just keeps on wandering the board trying to drag you back home

MARRIAGE IS A PARTNERSHIP FRED TALK TO YOUR loving WIFE YOU SCUMBAG

Are you complaining about dated social attitudes in a game about literal cavemen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Sir Lemming posted:

Speaking of which, on my end, it looks like we're about to watch the episode that I hear got a bunch of people in the UK angry. Either at the Irish, or on behalf of the Irish, I don't remember. "The High Ground".

Angry Salami posted:

There's like one line where they mention the 'reunification of Ireland in 2024', which got the episode cut from airing in the UK until 2007.

It's a bit more crass that that: the episode is basically a justification for terrorism: saying that sometimes it is necessary and that it can produce the results that the terrorists want.
Broadcasting this in the UK in 1990 would have been hugely insensitive, given what was happening in N.Ireland at the time.

If you wanted to update it for a release today, then you'd have an away party supplying assault weapons to mass shooters.
Then, the bit of moralising by Data to Picard at the end of the show would be 'Ah, I see, Captain. We were right to give extra bullets to those people; after all, without those school shootings, the USA wouldn't have been able to renact Segregation in 2050"

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don't even think it would need a remake. A continuation would be cool. I hear that some of the actors do unofficial stage plays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWmryAVUoL8

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Toshimo posted:

• All of the Golden Girls

Sophia was completely mean-spirited and a bully
Rose was a literal idiot
Blanche was a sex-maniac and a homophobe

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Squashy posted:

Ayyy That's the stuff

It's not true, given that she was awarded the grant in 1997 after her first book was finished in 1995, which was written whilst she was a single mother receiving £70 per week in benefits.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Barry Foster posted:

And now she's committed to pulling the ladder up behind her by trying to sabotage Labour at every turn.

She's scum

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/apr/17/sir-elton-john-jk-rowling-most-charitable-uk-celebrities-sainsbury

quote:

Sir Elton John and JK Rowling have been revealed as Britain’s most benevolent celebrities, with each donating a large proportion of their fortune to charities.

John gave £26.8m to charity last year, mainly to his Aids foundations in Britain and the US which he established in 1992. Rowling donated £10.3m, according to the Sunday Times.

The writer’s charities of choice were the Lumos Foundation, her own charity aimed at closing down all child institutions and orphanages around the world by 2050, as well as the Volant Charitable Trust, which raises money to alleviate social deprivation and for research into multiple sclerosis, which killed Rowling’s mother.
http://www.philanthropicpeople.com/profiles/j-k-rowling/

quote:

You see, J.K. Rowling gained billionaire status from the Harry Potter franchise’s success. As of 2011, she was estimated to be worth about $1 billion, enough to put her on the Forbes list of richest people in the world. But last year she lost that status—and not because of mismanagement.

J.K. Rowling is no longer a billionaire—because she donated so much money to charity. In 2011, she gave away about 16% of her net worth, or $160 million dollars. Perhaps it’s the fact that Rowling knows exactly what it’s like to be poverty stricken—she lived off of welfare at one point—that makes her more likely to give her wealth away.

When she spoke at Harvard’s commencement in 2008, she addressed poverty, saying that it “is not an ennobling experience. Poverty entails fear and stress and sometimes depression. It means a thousand petty humiliations and hardship.”

Through the years, J.K. Rowling has been involved with several charities. She worked for Amnesty International after she graduated from college. She was also an Ambassador of One Parent Families (now known as Gingerbread) for seven years and was awarded the honorary position of President in 2007. She also supported the Multiple Sclerosis Society Scotland for many years, functioning as a Patron for nine years and funding MS research.

In 2005, J.K. Rowling founded the Children’s High Level Group (CHLG), which is now known as Lumos. The organization works to “end the systematic institutionalization of children across Europe and help them find safer, more caring places to live.”

Rowling also has her own charitable trust called Volant. Volant helps support various projects and organizations to fight social deprivation, especially for women and children. Rowling has also supported a number of other organizations, including Comic Relief, The Maggie’s Centres for Cancer Care, the UK Labour Party, Doctors Without Borders, and more.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Just watch Angie Tribeca instead. It's basically a rebooted Police Squad.

Also, the British 'A Touch of Cloth', if you can find it.

Written by Black Mirror's Charlie Brooker who is clearly a Police Squad! fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7mjDl2fDtY

Shut up Meg has a new favorite as of 15:01 on May 10, 2019

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

this is a pretty recent development mostly spurred by him being tired of being a serious-roles-only actor, afaik

I recall that he had a bit of a reputation immediately post star trek that he hated anyone talking about it, because he was A Serious Actor Who Did Shakespeare and this bit of TV was a trivial bit of work he did to pay the gas bill and beneath him.

Then he realised he could get paid sackloads of cash to sit in a plastic wheelchair, while other actors in lycra acted out a comic book, and he lightened up.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVM1nUmDHHc

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm currently partially into Ever Decreasing Circles, may check out To the Manor Born later on.

You know what hasn't aged well? Sitcoms where two sets of neighbours interact with each other extensively.

As opposed to these days were the massive majority of people don't even know the name of their neighbours, yet alone get involved in a hilarous situation when the boss comes round for sherry.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The Lord of the Rings blu rays have aged badly.
Man, that is really disappointing to hear: I've been holding off watching the Extended Edition of ROTK, despite owning it on DVD since it was first released, waiting for my home cinema to be good enough to enjoy it in perfection.

FilthyImp posted:

Few things will ever look as bad as War Elephant surfing Legolas.
Obviously, I was planning on closing my eyes for that scene. Christ, what a turd that bit was.

Barry Foster posted:

Bottom is basically (even more) scatological Beckett and it really, really owns.
One of my big regrets is that I will never be able to see it live.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Chubby Henparty posted:

If you get to the very end, Paul's last ever line to Martin (well you'll know the one) is pretty much perfect.
"I've been banging Ann for 3 years"

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Skratchez posted:

Reminds me of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. The old dude (Wonko the sane?) who ran the universe lived in a place he called Outside the Asylum.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The Ruler of the Universe's whole thing was that he only believes what his senses directly observe so everything else is theoretical, which (supposedly) made him a perfectly objective arbitrator and decision-maker.

TV Episodes that did age well.

Cause these days, those philosophies both look very attractive.

(Zarquon, I need to relax in a beach house)

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Sweevo posted:

But he wanted it both ways, so a character would announce that they were gay and the episode would stop dead so everyone could react. And then it would be entirely inconsequential to the story and never mentioned again. Either make it normal or don't, but don't have a scene grind to a halt so that one person can say "I... am GAY!!!!" while mugging for the camera, followed by four people exchanging looks if you're just going to then carry on as if it never happened.

Mokinokaro posted:

I'll give him a pass with Gridlock because the idea was they'd been stuck in traffic for at least a decade.

That dialogue in Gridlock was the perfect example of the crap shoehorning mentioned above.

So clumsy and unnecessary for the old ladies to highlight the exact nature of their relationship: the main characters were a catman and a human woman who had given birth to actual kittens - at that stage, I think we're open-minded enough to understand the concept of lesbianism.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

TheKennedys posted:

In total fairness to Moffatt (may I never utter that phrase again, inshallah) he did have a blatantly lesbian companion (Bill) in his final run, even though there were far too many HEY LOOK I AM NOT ATTRACTED TO MEN speeches, and she wasn't a fantastic character, but she had a few romantic situations through her tenure and they were treated just like the largely insufferable straight relationships on DW.

Pookah posted:

I like Bill. :colbert:

Bill was a great character and it was genuinely a Good Thing that her introduction was her romantically/soppily chasing after someone and it being treated as completely unnoteworthy that the other person was a woman. That's how you treat a non-straight character with respect.

What was not good was her shoehorning HEY LOOK I AM NOT ATTRACTED TO MEN speeches into scenes where it had nothing to do with the plot and with all the subtlety of a newly-converted vegan at a barbeque. Like she did in the episode with the wood. And again in the episode with the romans. And again in the Xmas special. And again in......etc, etc

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

CityMidnightJunky posted:

For one glorious moment the Prime Minister of the UK was an alleged pig fucker.

And now he is an alleged wife beater.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

ookiimarukochan posted:

Allegedly Boris' party piece before he got too fat was sucking his own penis so there's still that to think about.
Also we've got no idea how many children he actually has, and there's been 2 affairs in the last couple of months that the papers refuse to mention (not even in an in joke way so there's probably no superinjunctions in place)

I was rewatching The Thick of It and it has plot points such as ministers resigning because their kids went to private schools and it made the govt look bad and stuff like that

Now there is a PM with an unknown number of children.

That's aged badly.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

nonathlon posted:

Perhaps not a genius, but he certainly plays up the eccentric twit angle. Which has worked awfully well for him. I knew several people who voted for him when he was running for London Mayor "because it'll be hilarious".

He's an idiot pretending to be an intellectual pretending to be a buffoon.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

bobjr posted:

I’m kind of surprised hidden camera prank shows like that didn’t have more violence honestly.

I'm surprised no-one gets shot.

I'd imagine that some celebs must carry, given that a) they look like they have lots od money and b) absolutely insane fans.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

ArcMage posted:

There probably isn't canon, but that's basically your only option.

I read a short sci-fi story (can't remember the author) that was based on this concept: you strapped them into the machine, hit the button and they were duplicated at the destination. Then, when you received a confirmation of a successful transmission, the machine vaporised the original person. If the send failed, they had to wait in the machine until you hit 'resend'

The story was based on the ethics of what happens if the machine gets an incorrect 'failure to receive' response and the person gets out the machine. Then you have 2 copies of the same person. Is Scotty now morally obliged to hit one of them on the head with a space-spanner?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

FilthyImp posted:

By Kevin Smith's account, Willis harbors no illusions about the kind of films he works on.

And unlike Cage, who will genuinely give a performance, seems that Bruce just checks out if it's a cashgrab.

I was a bit disappointed to learn that he was something of a dick: not only does he stay blazed in his trailer, he just outright refuses to do any dialogue he doesn't like.

He's no Raul Julia

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Krispy Wafer posted:

But Bruce Willis sometimes makes a good movie. I’m struggling to think of a single good Matthew Perry film.

According to IMDB, he's been in 11 movies, whereas Willis has been in 100+ so it could just be a numbers game.

E: Perry also spent the majority of his working life as a barely-functioning addict, so that was something of a handicap.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Colombo arrested the same actor for murder on more than one occasion.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

oldpainless posted:

Who in the gently caress nowadays sees a Bruce Willis trailer and actually gets excited?

His accountant.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Lyrai posted:

Didn't someone run the numbers and come out with her city having a murder rate so high that dwarfed the #1 murder rate city by a factor of like, ten or twenty?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

That happened with Inspector Morse and Oxford, although that's nothing compared to Midsomer County in Midsomer Murders.

That's one of those things that is a massive elephant in the room that the characters studiously ignore: you create this world where the characters continuously live there and yet no-one ever comments that the death rate is higher than an active warzone

"Morning, Mrs Brown! How are you today?"
"Another dead body in the park. It gave my dog a right shock, I can tell you."
"Oh I know, I found two by the bins this morning"
"It's a disgrace, the council should clear them up"
"Well, I did phone them, but they said there was quite a backlog of clearance due to the dustmen all having been killed last month and they are still waiting for replacements"
"It's not good enough, I shall write to the local paper"

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

quote:

Baltimore police are searching for a former actor on “The Wire” who they say escaped from custody after he was taken to a hospital for a check.

Christopher Clanton Sr., 33, was arrested Sept. 12 in Northeast Baltimore for violating a protective order, according to police. Someone first sought the order against Clanton in July and a judge issued a final order this month, according to court records. The person who sought the order was not named in court records. Clanton also has three pending criminal cases, according to the records.

He was taken to Good Samaritan Hospital because of a pre-existing medical condition before being taken to Central Booking to be processed, police said. He left the hospital Friday.

On “The Wire,” Clanton played Savino Bratton, a recurring character who appeared in nine episodes in the first and fifth seasons of former Baltimore Sun reporter David Simon’s HBO show about crime in Baltimore. Clanton was also an extra in a Simon’s earlier show “The Corner.”

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

MariusLecter posted:

Here's some info on Gomez.

Gomez Addams is One of the Richest Characters in Fiction - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFEuFVHtKfk

Where?

(admittedly, I gave up after the first 5 minutes of 'funny' banter.)

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

BrigadierSensible posted:

The other cool thing about the Addams family, is that they never look down on, or disparage the "normal" people for being different to the Addams.

Because the Addams' see themselves as perfectly normal, and the rosy cheeked blond suburbanites as a little weird. But they are never rude, never disparaging, and always supportive of the other families and other people they come in contact with.

Which, when you compare them to the modern-day rich, is the kookiest thing about them.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
The movie Bond commits mass murder on such a biblical scale that frankly the occasional rape seems like almost light relief.

Mokinokaro posted:

That's probably why I find the more over the top stuff like the Moore films have ironically aged a little better. They are so ridiculous and camp you can't take any of seriously.
Austin Powers 1 is the best Moore Bond movie.

and it also handles moral aspect of him killing minimum-wage henchmen more realistically than any of the 'proper' Bonds.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Jedit posted:

Possibly made worse by the fact that canonically, Pussy Galore is a lesbian.

A lesbian who was raped as a child by her uncle.

Sometimes, I really like the 'next chapter' button on my DVD player.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

AceOfFlames posted:

Probably both.

I still like Skyfall a lot but it definitely has its issues (mostly the misogyny). I'd rather watch it 10 times in a row than ever watch Spectre again.

Or just watch the real Home Alone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWfg__wKSY&t=185s

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Cleretic posted:

It's always been a tragedy that you can't easily watch old Whose Line (UK or US), but it's a testament to basically the show's entire cast that the most offensive things they got were from behind-the-scenes. You'd expect hundreds of episodes of improv comedy to have showcased some unintentional racism or something from the performers that survived just by law of large numbers, but it looks like it didn't!

Presumably, there's someone on the production team who makes sure they cut and destroy anything too offensive.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, but it’s a 20 year old show so you’d expect there to at the very least be a bunch of stuff that would fly then but not now, but there’s really almost none of that.

Oh, I get you.

I thought he meant stuff where the producer would be saying 'Okay, Cut! And let's make a note to never use the 'things the cast of Seinfeld might say in a nightclub' scenario ever again'

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Did Kramer’s career stay dead? I feel like that’s the only time one of those people actually stayed gone, and only probably because he was already long gone.

Pretty much:

https://www.looper.com/26158/real-reason-dont-hear-michael-richards-anymore/

Though it suggests that he didn't have much of a career post-seinfeld anyway

quote:

Kirstie was canceled after one season. It seems the cancellation had to do with a personal problem the creator/showrunner was having and nothing to do with poor cast performance, but it's clear that after all these years away, Richards is a one-note performer. In an era when the traditional sitcom is dying, veteran actors of those kinds of shows, like Richards, are going to find it harder and harder to stay relevant. Kirstie is Richards' last credit aside from Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee—yet another bone thrown his way by, you guessed it, Jerry Seinfeld.

Since making his Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee appearances, Michael Richards has basically fallen off the radar again. He's got nothing in development according to his IMDb page, but he also has a six-year-old son, Antonio, so maybe he's just focused on being a dad right now. One of his last public appearances came when TMZ caught up with him outside a charity event. Naturally, they asked him racially themed questions, which he was clearly uncomfortable with, despite the fact that it had been almost ten years since the incident at the Laugh Factory.

The takeaway here is that Richards can probably expect these kinds of questions from a certain outlets for the rest of his life. Nearly a decade after his self-inflicted traumatic experience, he's still not ready to handle it. Whether that's fair is debatable, but what's certain is the fact that this kind of awkward encounter is forever going to be linked with anything he tries to do in the entertainment industry. For Richards, these encounters might be more trouble than he feels a public persona is worth, which could mean we've already seen his last on-air pratfall. Only time—and, perhaps, Jerry Seinfeld's benevolence—will ever truly tell.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
The Bundys are supposed to be a terrible family, but everything about them is pretty good by today's standards.

Stable marriage
Full time job
Own a house
No massive debts
No extreme political views
Kids are not drug addicts, unplanned teen parents or alt-right school shooters

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

As soon as a multimillionaire starts complaining about high taxes being bad for the country, I take an immediate dislike to them.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

YaketySass posted:

Gotta say that the memes about Keanu being the One Unproblematic Celebrity are extremely creepy and bound to blow up in people's faces one day*. Nobody, no matter how nice, can live up to that kind of fantasy.

When did the world change that a celeb not being a nazi, a wife beater, a pedo or a sexual harasser became something that legends are made of?

Fake edit: presumably not long after we learnt that an awful lot of celebs fail that simple test.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

food court bailiff posted:

That article is physically painful to read. What an absolute moron. I can't imagine dragging your family through all that because you think you're some amazing loving restaurateur-in-the-making because you cook nice dinners.

I never enjoy reading stuff like this because usually the people doing it are morons, but nice.

The absolute bastards never end up in situations like that - quite the opposite, usually.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

skooma512 posted:

I love how pissant petty tyrant small business owners get free consulting from a Michelin star chef (this would likely cost deep 6 figures on its own) and they spend all that time arguing with him. If you had your poo poo squared away, you wouldn't be on a reality show.

I like how he is always very friendly and respectful to the minimum wage staff if they are trying hard to work for an rear end in a top hat boss.

I know he does it cause he's not actually a big meanie, but it serves to highlight even more how little he thinks of the assholes.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Someone post the video showing him on Masterchef vs Masterchef Jr

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46bXUWNyp20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

If you aren't familiar with the history of the controvesy, it's perhaps worth pointing out that this is a parody of a famous interview where the church protested the film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ni559bHXDg

And boy, The Establishment do not come off looking good in this.

quote:

In 1979, shortly after the release of their film Life of Brian, Monty Python members Michael Palin and John Cleese appeared on BBC Two's Friday Night, Saturday Morning to debate the film with Roman Catholic journalist and satirist Malcolm Muggeridge and the Bishop of Southwark, Mervyn Stockwood.

The film had been surrounded in religious controversy, due to its depictions of a fictional Messiah that many claimed had satirised Jesus Christ. Michael Palin told the Today programme that he prepared for the debate "quite carefully". "I didn't know what the Church's attitude was going to be - that's what I felt when I turned up there," he continued.

John Cleese explained that having recently watched the discussion again he "was astonished, first of all, at how stupid [the two members of the Church] were, and how boring the debate became".

He added: "I think the sad thing was that there was absolutely no attempt at a proper discussion - no attempt to find any common ground."

E: it really is dull and not worth watching.

Shut up Meg has a new favorite as of 15:10 on Feb 4, 2020