Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

CharlestheHammer posted:

Don’t worry with some recent developments a lot of people are backing off metoo now that it’s being inconvenient

Good to hear Usual Suspects 2 will be coming along

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And there's a lot of ways in which Hank doesn't live up to even his own standards. Things like his inability to show affection are often pointed out as major flaws, while Dale is a much, MUCH better father because he unashamedly does.

It's funny that Hank and Dale are both surrogate fathers and probably both know that about each other but not themselves. Dale is better as you say because his subconscious mind is already pretty busy and Hank probably has some unformed resentment about Dauterive's relative Holland Tunnel of a urethra.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

mind the walrus posted:

I thought the "Bill is Bobby's Dad" thing was debunked. Even then Bobby is pretty detestable in his own right, and I say that as someone who was way more like him as a kid than anyone else on KotH.

I heard something about how Judge admitted this on Stern but death of the author. I don't believe or disbelieve this but you have to admit it fits really well. Peggy's extreme disdain towards Bill could be perfectly natural or it could be she's over compensating. Bill's attitude towards her is a little over the top though. Stealing her body cast and other weird creepy poo poo he usually doesn't direct towards Boomhauer's love interests or Nancy or Minh he just reserves for Peggy.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Was mostly thinking the bit where Dale hears Joseph screaming and immediately bursts into his room dual wielding pistols, and then when it turns out Joseph was just having a nightmare, Dale immediately pivots to offering to read him a story.

Dale is just super nice to Joseph all the time and a great dad full stop. Hank's really no slouch but doesn't do warmth unless it's bahgawd propane.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

somepartsareme posted:

Bobby bears a much stronger resemblance to Cotton and GH than Bill, and saying that Bobby is really Bill's son is a dumb Game Theory level theory. I have strong feelings about this

Physical resemblance has nothing to do with. They were designed before it was likely retconned. It's everything to do with Bill and Peggy's love/hate and Hank's almost certain infertility. Peggy did something she's not proud of and wants to take it to her grave but Bill being Bill won't let it go.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

somepartsareme posted:

I take umbrage with the idea that Peggy can't simply dislike Bill for the advances we see along with how pathetic of a person he is. Peggy isn't really the only woman he comes on to in weird ways, he dug potholes in the alley to try and get a jogger to trip so he could help her, and he allegedly waits outside of the women's prison to meet ladies regularly.

Fair point. Makes perfect sense really.

Maybe a little too perfect.

e: basically why out of all the women in the neighborhood does Bill continually creep on Peggy even though Hank is his best friend in the world?

And why is it that the only time Hank can "relax" enough to impregnate Peggy is when Ladybird was a new puppy? An unlikely miracle for a show that doesn't do miracles? More like a shaggy dog story for a naive man. Urethras do not work that way!

BaldDwarfOnPCP has a new favorite as of 07:36 on Apr 4, 2020

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

food court bailiff posted:

there is no way at all someone like peggy could keep a secret like bill fathering bobby

peggy hill is not known for her sealed-tight lips

it took basically everything she had not to narc on nancy and john redcorn, and she has a serious crisis of conscience and a lot of self-loathing from not being hank's first as it is. you really think she wouldn't have asked for three pieces of chocolate from the lady pastor if she'd been riding the billdozer? c'mon.

Sold

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I feel like the assumption in the show is that deafness entails being mute, but it's a plot point that he can't communicate with the guy from COACH because he's illiterate and Rob Lowe can only communicate by writing things down and apparently not even by sign language, which doesn't seem to exist in the world of the movie.

Stephen King's imagination seems super stuck in the 50s. When Corin Nemec transitions from proto-incel to campy supervillain as a result of having sex with Laura San Giacomo, he immediately switches to a white tshirt and leather jacket with jeans. Also everyone is conversant in extremely obscure racial slurs in every one of his books, like to the point where it starts getting suspicious.

I don’t think of him as the guy from Coach but rather the guy who voices Patrick Star.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

capitaldelendaest posted:

The way people treat the disabled, and especially the seriously mentally ill and developmentally disabled, was and frequently still is nothing short of monstrous!

It’s why I found Ozark season 3 so heart wrenching

There’s a point where I was just envisioning Of Mice and Men and poo poo Wendy’s gonna have to tell her brother about the rabbits right about now

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

mind the walrus posted:

It felt fairly accurate-- getting institutionalized and getting extremely stressed by loved ones who (in this case correctly) treat you as someone who really doesn't grasp the severity of the situation made his descent into blubbering and episodes fairly plausible and the actor rose to the occasion for all the hard lifts. The very first scene we meet the character he throws a ton of children's phones into a woodchipper for bullying a classmate on social media, calling them "sociopaths" and not caring that it'll get him fired and a warrant out for his arrest, establishing that he has rage/control issues and a warped... borderline juvenile sense of how community dynamics actually work in the real world, and serious trouble coping with it. As one of the dreaded autistics with comorbidities it rang very accurate to experiences I've had and seen in others. It did feel a bit hurtful that he was incapable of wising up right up to the very end, but honestly some people really are that stupid.

He was basically high on his messed up brain chemistry from unmedicated bipolar so it wasn’t that he was normally that stupid (stupid enough to stop his meds so he could get his dick wet though) he was just impaired

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Arivia posted:

I know there's a bunch of comics and poo poo after it but you can't take "Not Fade Away" from me. That is one of my favourite episodes of television, and probably the best finale ever.

That one and “Why We Fight” are very good. Kind of odd topic considering thread title but oh well.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

GoutPatrol posted:

Nicolas Brendan looks so puffy here. I don't think he ever fully sobered up too. Not fun to watch the Xander/Anya wedding episode when he plays a future drunk, when it is very obvious the actor himself is suffering from it.

Nice username post combo.

Also same thing with Angel season 1 and Glen Quinn who played Doyle. He never looked puffy I guess but he didn’t live to see season 2.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

pentyne posted:

Wasn't that more the cocaine and heroin?

Oh yeah

I’m sure I didn’t misremember it because he was Irish

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Push El Burrito posted:

They were right. We're never going to have great singing voices like Bob Dylan again.

If that’s your definition of good, then good we never will

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Sorry it was on the top of the page :shrug:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

pentyne posted:

Its talked up like "these were the real problems facing the gen x youth" when its just the same tale every single generation of spoiled privileged youths who put ideals and beliefs on a pedestal while living off the largess of someone else.

I guarantee you that the rest of the gen X crowd who weren't aspiring filmakers for the art or garage band losers weren't worrying about the true value of their art when they had to pay bills and put food on the table.

When the Ghost Ship fire made the news the media focused on those art communes and its 100% what you think and ton of adults living like their art and passion are all that matters and sharing a kitchen in a warehouse with 20 other people including young children.

Reality Bites is the ur-example of what has gone of for centuries, people both privileged and not flock to a lifestyle ideal of non traditional work pursuing hobbies and whims without regard for care or consequences.

Whereas working for the man always pays off and never fucks up anyone regardless of their good intentions

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

AceOfFlames posted:

Also he's flat out told his cancer is terminal and at best they can only buy him some time (his remission later on caught everyone by surprise and even that was temporary). His motivation (which is revealed to be an utter lie as the show goes on) is to leave money for his family to be comfortable when he's gone, not to pay for his medical bills.

All that is true but it’s still the original premise (OP?) of the show and the hook for getting any normal person to begin sympathizing with him.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

It's funny that Batman vs Superman and The Dark Knight are both rated pg-13.

Ratings systems are basically useless.

This Film is Not Yet Rated is a great look at how this (doesn’t) work if you’ve not yet seen it.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

oldpainless posted:

And before it’s pointed out, yes I’m aware of the low budget remake that Germany made from 2012-2014

Don't sell it short

I'm scared of it because the fanservice is two brothers loving each other

I only have the one brother and he's into the supernatural as well :ohdear:

That's why I watched Angel instead

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Push El Burrito posted:

Supernatural rules, it has so many hunks. If you're watching a show for the hunks it's probably the #1 show for you.

Yeah, yeah

Angel didn't really do that that well

I'm trying to think of a genre show with lots of hunks and coming up shorts

Grey's Anatomy, gently caress no that was a real disappointment in the hunk dept

Uh, yep, that's probably your go to show Supernatural

doesn't sell it for me but hey, everyone chime in with your hottest hunk fest show, 3, 2

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Also a major role in Wolf of Wall Street which got him an Oscar nom.

I didn't see Maniac but it seems to have been well regarded?

Maniac is crazy good

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

BrainDance posted:

So you guys are all saying House sucks, and I haven't watched it since its original run. I remember though, the first few seasons at least everybody loving loved House. Like, everybody. What happened? Why do we all hate it now?

There's nothing wrong with it, I love Hugh Laurie and the rest of the cast. Just caught one episode of it on cable.

It's decent, sort of manipulative but House is manipulative.

The whole arc with David Morse finding out House is loving stoned off his rear end all the time.

That was decent.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Pick posted:

That's honestly the main thing that stands out to me. We clearly have made progress, because "edgy" House is now unbelievably racist/ableist/sexist house. Just, ... that's not where the edge is any more. There's an episode where he's dealing with a patient with dwarfism and he talks about how he'd like to gently caress her and spin her around. to her. to her face.

Yeah that rings true

House is such an unbelievably crippled character he can't empathize with anyone but that's what makes him him

One of those main protagonist characters you despise

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

The “best” part of House is that it went on for so long that it inevitably touched on some medical topic someone is an expert on. For me, that’s endometriosis and DXM abuse.

Both of those episodes are comedy gold. No, endo won’t break loose and fly around your body like super cancer. Yes, it has been found in the brain. No, that’s uncommon as gently caress, and it wouldn’t happen in the space of hours. Yes, DXM will make you look dumb to other people while on it, but while it is a dissociative, it’s not the sort of thing that will make a depressed smart person into a happy stupid person. And that happy stupid person won’t be a contributing member of society, because he’ll be ataxic as gently caress and too uncoordinated to do anything useful.

There’s a doctor who blogged the veracity of every episode. Highly recommend if you enjoy House but side eye the medicine they’re allegedly practicing on it.

I know (anecdotally) two women with endometriosis and I can't even imagine the pain from it. Women have a higher pain tolerance/threshold but just ouch.

And then on DXM, the d is for dextro which means "right" in latin

quote:

Dextromethorphan is a synthetic, methylated dextrorotary analogue of levorphanol, a substance related to codeine and a non-opioid derivate of morphine. Dextromethorphan exhibits antitussive activity and is devoid of analgesic or addictive property. This agent crosses the blood-brain-barrier and activates sigma opioid receptors on the cough center in the central nervous system, thereby suppressing the cough reflex.

Essentially that means it fucks you up good and proper but has no pain killing properties. You just walk around like a robot disconnected between mind and body.

I used to love that stuff

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

the_steve posted:

Wasn't House another example of Tyler Durdenism?
Like, you're supposed to realize that he's an utterly toxic rear end in a top hat that normal people can't stand to be around, but idiots idolize him because he gets to flick his cigarette in everyone's face before riding off on his motorcycle to go be right about everything.

Valid point.

I'm clueless so I had to hear from a bunch of people, no Walter White is not a good dude. No, FIght Club is not inspirational however much your credit card debt sucks. But it predated 9/11 :smuggo:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Laterite posted:

The great Gen X cop-out: "Man, all this poo poo sucks. I sure hope someone figures out how to fix it someday. Well, what are ya gonna do?" *Pixies song starts playing*

TBF that is a really great song.

It was weird when they remade fight club note for note in the form of mr robot.

They acknowledge it head on though so good on them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPY-Ou8MR44

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

christmas boots posted:

I think Jimmy McNulty was too sympathetic as a representation of Baltimore cops.

I really hated his wake.

It was just cops drinking for his dismissal or whatever.

Should have been flat out on the table.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Pick posted:

The most realistic cop on TV was chief Wiggum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBk9ugb5C-o

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Detective No. 27 posted:

Hank Scorpio as the villain for the movie would have been a bad idea because he legitimately loved Homer as a person and an employee. He even offered Smithers and his same sex partner full benefits in the early 90s. They would have tainted a brilliant episode by reprising him.

That said, making the EPA a villain in itself is pretty bad.

Homer is the villain

I thought that was self evident

It’s like Breaking Bad in that way

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Detective No. 27 posted:

Nah. Even in the episode, Homer did nothing wrong, which is a feat for him. He was successful at home and at work for once in his life and gave it up for his family's happiness. It's a total tragedy, really.

I was thinking more of the movie where he dumps toxic waste and then flees to Alaska.

But I guess in the third act he does what White didn’t and fixes all the problems he caused and reunites his family.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Ambitious Spider posted:

My aunt had a copy of a for better or worse book that was all the strips about the dog Farley from when he was a puppy til when he died saving the little kid from a river.

It was pretty traumatic. Not futurama sad but kind of messed up for a newspaper comic

Calvin and Hobbes had some sad arcs iirc.

The burglary and maybe one other.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Dreadwind posted:

It was also one of those shows with tons of jokes just for the parents so they don't gouge out their eyes when their kids force them to watch.

Like when the gang makes a Trojan horse to get inside a fort, one of the kids guarding says, "Hey, didn't someone say beware of gifts from geeks?"

If that qualifies as an adult joke then Ducktales is graduate level comedy

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

I almost wanted to watch this to see how it applies to the thread title but that song

poo poo it’s already in me

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Garrand posted:

Looking it up, she was in a total of 16 episodes over 7 seasons. I'm not really sure what's expected; surprisingly the well adjusted lesbian couple doesn't make for great television in a show about a bunch of idiot friends.

Phoebe was bi right?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Krispy Wafer posted:

All I could remember was her and Paul Rudd. But of course there's a website that exhaustively details every Friends character's romantic relationships and I don't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't a Phoebe/Alec Baldwin pairing.

https://friends.fandom.com/wiki/Relationships

No ladies. Maybe she just wasn't a practicing bisexual.

I was basing it solely on the one episode I’ve seen this decade where Rachel had made out with her sorority sister and Phoebe was being a real know it all.

It seemed implied :shrug:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

christmas boots posted:

Personally I think the real villain is whoever signed off on the whole thing without having a protocol in place for "what if someone wakes up early"

Well the bed broke, no one was there to fix it and the dude was broke. The villain was :capitalism:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

pentyne posted:

Passengers is even worse then is sounds, gonna go ahead and spoil it since everyone's pretty clear on how bad it is. I made a post way back about it after diving into the details to figure out why it had such a bad female response.

Either some exec with major power demanded romance in the horror movie, or wanted horror in a romance movie because it reads like someone took two plots and just smashed them together.

It didn't need all the exposition about how JL's character was a dynamic go-getter missing out on the "important" things in life and by joining the mission leaving behind her chance to start a family and be a mother, the only real job a woman should aspire to. Ending with her choosing to give up the spare pod and instead accept and love her abuser is a loving garbage message.

Just a taste of the wildly skewed gender response to the movie

Empire, James Dyer

The Telegraph, Rebecca Hawkes

Well now I want to watch The Talented Passenger Ripley

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

tbh I thought it was a good movie in general.

the title character/Copley's performance is obviously the big deal, but everything around him is a decent little action movie in and of itself. Blomkamp does good poo poo.

e: it also helps that i can stand Die Antwoord, if you can't at least tolerate them you're going to really loving hate that movie

I was just really pissed that Sigourney Weaver’s role was so terribly written. All the B writing for the rest of the movie was fitting but seemed jarring with her.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

MariusLecter posted:

THE most popular children's song in France is about plucking the feathers off a bird.

Frere Jacque is about a man late to the matinee :colbert:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Torquemada posted:

No disrespect intended, but this seems on-brand for Iceland. It’ll do until ‘Immigrant Song’ passes into the public domain.

I’d vote for Isobel by Bjork

Also if I could get citizenship to vote that would be cool

You can keep the idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Was Downton Abbey the kick-off for prestige TV with rich people drama like how X-Files kicked off all the mystery box plots? (Which tended to go absolutely nowhere and get hosed around by the writers and network, though the writers' strike didn't help. Also, they became movies now, see the Star Wars sequels)

The big thing now is fantasy/sci-fi/superhero prestige drama with lots of murder and loving, it seems.

I thought Sopranos was the first prestige show. Downton Abbey aired on PBS here.