Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I remember liking the first few seasons of NCIS. Not in any kind of critical way, but it was inoffensive and sometimes that's all I'm looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

There are more than a few great episodes of Penn & Teller's Bullshit- pretty much any time they go after outright scam artists or the supernatural, it's a good time- but there are a few standouts which have aged very, very badly, like the episode about second-hand smoke not being that big of a deal, or the one about environmental hysteria.

It's hard for me to tell if certain episodes of that show have aged well or not because I often (or at least sometimes) disagree/d with their politics from the get-go. It's a well put-together program on the whole though.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Avenging_Mikon posted:

If your sperm count is 32, you may want to speak to a doctor, dude.

Only the ones that would’ve made it to the egg count as a person. Everyone knows that. And yet when you try to argue that life begins at being the most capable sperm in any particular load, jeez do people get worked up.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Len posted:

I once had someone tell me that using a condom was killing a baby because it was preventing the sperm from reaching the egg and she couldn't explain why having a period wasn't killing a baby since it was preventing an egg from getting fertilized

Eggs go bad just like eggs in the fridge! It isn’t the hen’s fault.

Seriously though. Even the fundamentalists that I’ve had these conversations with were mostly prepared to offer, at the very least, that they do (and I should) draw a distinction between “the biological will of god” and “profane and deliberate undermining of divine edict by artificial means.”

e: If it wasn’t clear, I mean I’ve talked with a fair number of anti-contraception folks and I can’t recall that one stumping them. They had an internally consistent answer prepared for that line of questioning if nothing else.

burial has a new favorite as of 07:23 on Oct 20, 2017

burial
Sep 13, 2002

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

If anything, it aged too well.

How horrible was that show? Did it get cancelled because of the sad foresight?

I admit that I watched it when it aired and (probably) liked it? but I remember zero details and haven’t seen it since. In my defense, I was young and just always thought the Lone Gunmen were kind of cool. :shrug:

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Instant Sunrise posted:

It was shitcanned before 9/11.

No, it had crap ratings for the time because it was focused a lot more on the conspiracy theory aspect, and the black helicopter crowd had used up their fifteen minutes of fame once Clinton left office.

See, that sounds interesting to me. I’m clearly going to have to find and watch it. It’s the only way to learn how truly wrong I am.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Schubalts posted:

When I saw it, it aired before Monster Rancher, which did not shy away from acknowledging that Monsters were completely sentient and were being killed constantly.

That show actually prompted me to buy one of the playstation games. 2 maybe? It was pretty fun trying every single CD in the house until I ran out and still hadn’t generated that many legitimately cool monsters. Plus my father was pissed every couple of days because he couldn’t find whatever stupid “contemporary christian” album he wanted to praise Jesus to at that particular moment.

I don’t think I’ll ever forget the theme song, but I can’t imagine the show has held up.

…has it?

burial
Sep 13, 2002

That can’t be true. Whether that’s because I saw a lot of cool stuff or, more likely, have really low standards? a lot of stuff still brings the sweet, sweet nostalgia.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

The Bloop posted:

Mighty Ducks is fine, but if you want to talk about a badass cartoon with Tim Curry that holds up forever and ever...

Mighty Max

My friend had this:

I don’t think I ever saw the show, but I was really jealous.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

VodeAndreas posted:

I had that, AND the big mountain... Never knew it had a show to go with it.

He had the mountain-thing too, but I never cared about that because it wasn’t a sick rock monster.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Don Gato posted:

RNG based on data on the CD iirc, something based on the metadata, but there were some unique monsters you could generate from certain CDs/DVDs. Off the top of my head, you got a unique owl thing in MR 4 if you put in a harry potter DVD.

Pretty sure this is right - and it’s cool to know they adapted it to work with dvds too. (Makes sense, I just didn’t stick with the series long enough to find out.)

burial
Sep 13, 2002

HUGGBEES!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dTocBQXR05M

burial
Sep 13, 2002

So “spastic” (and maybe also “spaz”) is off the table? Can I at least still use “crazy-pants” or?

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Aesop Poprock posted:

Mash is like the complete opposite of TV series that didn't age well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYjy7uUn7fc

That will never stop being beyond hosed. It hurts just like new!

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Laugh-track chat made me think of one of my favourite shows maybe ever: Sports Night.

Thing is, I can’t really comment on how well it’s held up because apart from people I’ve directly exposed to it, I’ve never met anyone else who likes it or even knows what it is. It did have a laugh track though. I’ve just never given that critical thought.

Also, I’ve never seen any of Sorkin’s other stuff, so I’m not qualified on that front either.

It just, hm. The characters really felt like a family to me, if a dysfunctional one. There was a warmth there.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Gordon Shumway posted:

I rewatched Sports Night not too long ago, and it holds up pretty well. Some episodes are a little dated (like the one where Jeremy tries to prevent Y2K problems), but some of the dated stuff makes the comedy bits a little more funny in retrospect. The laugh track is the most grating in the first episode, after that it's not so bad. As someone else said, by the end of the first season they were barely using it, and it's completely gone for all of the second season.

Somebody on the last page (who I’d quote were I not hurriedly phone-posting) said it wasn’t even a laugh track, but rather a live audience. I don’t know if that’s true, but I’d kind of like it to be.

I just remembered one thing that bugged me on my latest rewatch - the music. Whoever was streaming it must not’ve had the rights to some of the songs they originally used and having different ones over some of the iconic scenes (the montage where Casey is trying to get up the courage to ask Dana out, the scene where they first kiss in the office) made me sad.

e: It was Mu Zeta!

Mu Zeta posted:

ABC execs and Sorkin were constantly fighting about it. The show started out with a laugh track and it kept getting quieter until it was completely gone in the first season. Also it wasn't technically a laugh track since the show was insanely filmed in front of a live audience. Another insane thing is that Sorkin wrote the first season of West Wing and the second season of Sports Night at the same time. He needed a ton of drugs to do it though.

Here's some of that painful sitcom stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFKDJPdhMYU

burial has a new favorite as of 19:55 on Dec 9, 2017

burial
Sep 13, 2002

So you’re saying giraffes can come to the movies, but they have to sit in the back? :colbert:

burial
Sep 13, 2002

But where is my bug bomb? :(

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Tiggum posted:

Bug bomb... lost head! :(

I really like that you said that.

gently caress, is Lexx still streaming anywhere? I know it used to be on Hulu, but I don’t think it is anymore.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Everything that rises must converge so I’m thinking we should have more interesting crossovers by now.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

The Bloop posted:

Look I'll get the whole derail over in one post:

[food] is delicious

[food] is terrible and gross

[food] is just ok

People who don't like [food] are literally children!

:siren: turns out people like different things

Shut the hell up about [food]

:golfclap:

If you find a replace “food” with “thing” (and make the adjectives more general) don’t you have ALL derails covered?

burial
Sep 13, 2002

But most people who actively dislike circumcision ARE literal children.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

trickybiscuits posted:

Yeah :( A friend of mine has talked about seeing people get fitted for klan robes at a county fair in upstate NY. There's a serious racism problem.

It’s weird because I grew up in what we call “the north country” and I really didn’t encounter open racism until about 9th grade - at which point, in art class, two giant dudes a grade or two ahead approached me about joining their new chapter of the klan. My response was something to the effect of “What? There aren’t even any ‘minorities’ here to hate. What the hell is wrong with you?”

Aesop Poprock posted:

Something that has aged well on this subject is the Mission Hill episode about it from like 1999 I think

Christ this phone is bad, just look up Mission Hill Andy Vs the Real World somehow because I can’t link the video

Man, I haven’t thought about Mission Hill in a long while, but I recall loving it. What got it cancelled?

burial
Sep 13, 2002

This just teaches me that NY really is large. And weird. And, in many ways, unfortunate.

Also I think I only encountered Mission Hill after it was off air, so that makes sense.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

I’m not sure how accurate it is to the show as a whole, but my wife and I used to play a game while watching Criminal Minds where we’d place bets on whether or not the unsub would get tackled or shot to death.

There was a sort of side-game where we’d attempt to gauge how pissed Morgan was on the occasions where he didn’t get to be the one doing the tackling. Dude loved tackling people.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

This is actually what I was thinking about when I posted upthread about how much paperwork must be involved when the suspect gets killed at the end of an episode. I like the show; it's sort of a guilty pleasure because I know I'm probably supposed to hate it but I don't, but goddamn if I don't wonder about that every time someone gets shot.

Same boat, fellow poster. Same boat. They kill a ridiculous number of suspects. The odds of living go up if the unsub has also been abused or otherwise has a tragic past, but it’s by no means a guarantee of survival.

Wheat Loaf posted:

It was kicking in doors I remember him being big on. I believe there's actually a blooper where the crew played a trick on Shemar Moore by taking a prop door off its hinges so when he kicked it, it flew halfway across the set or something.

Aaaaand thanks. Now I have a reason to rewatch. We always zeroed in on him taking people down (or being robbed of the opportunity.) It’s time the doors had their day.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Choco1980 posted:

TV Episodes that Did Not Age Well: Pages of Assassins Creed chat

TV Episodes that Did Not Age Well: Assassin’s Creed Screed Feed. :colbert:

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Tony Gunk posted:

Just watched an episode of Cheers from Season 1 where one of Sam's old teammates comes out as gay in his memoirs, and Sam has no idea because he didn't read the book, even after holding a book signing in the bar.

Everyone then spends the rest of the episode fretting that Cheers will become a gay bar. It was so uncomfortable to watch that I actually couldn't finish it. Talk about not aging well...

Isn’t that the one where, at the end, they make a point to the effect of “you can’t tell who is gay just by looking; gay people were/are already in here all the time. get over it”?

It’s been awhile since I’ve seen it, but it seemed reasonably progressive for the time. On the other hand, my mind could be manufacturing poo poo because I like Cheers and want it to be a decent show.

e: soundly beaten.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

John Murdoch posted:

TV Episodes that Did Not Age Well: Assassin’s Creed Screed Feed: Formerly Chuck's :colbert: :colbert:

:golfclap:

Well played, captain.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Leavemywife posted:

That reminded me, SyFy runs a Twilight Zone marathon on New Year's, and it's very much my jam.

Same. Miss the FX X-Files Thanksgiving day marathon more with each passing year.

Sure, I can stream either series in its entirety whenever I want, but it isn’t the same as watching on TV during the holiday because that’s what’s on.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

tactlessbastard posted:

My siblings and I loved 7 days of 007

Oh man, that was the best. What channel was it even on?

burial
Sep 13, 2002

tactlessbastard posted:

I don't remember!

According to Google, it was TBS. That never would’ve been my guess.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Krispy Wafer posted:

Think about it this way. The Venn diagram for abusers who were abused is pretty drat close to a single circle.

The Venn diagram for people who were abused who then became abusers isn’t anywhere close to that.

So, rectangles and squares.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The Farscape intro is another I watch every time https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CtM6Mhkb08
Just for the sheer weirdness of the music, Crichton's erratic mental health, and the gradually shifting tone as the show goes on.

I completely agree. I really like how the voiceover subtly changes with each season. Although it DOES call attention to the fact that there’s never not an insane military commander after them.

CRACKERS DON’T MATTER.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

JacquelineDempsey posted:

(Essentially, what Nickelodeon used to be, if anyone here remembers what Nick at Nite was)

If you’re talking ‘90s Nick at Nite, wow. I was the only 10-15ish aged kid I knew that watched that stuff willingly. I loved it. I guess I assumed there were already plenty of nostalgia channels out there, but I don’t really seek them out.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

He appeared to be at the top of the list of Popes That Aren’t Obviously poo poo?

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Pick posted:

Let me know anything that Francis has done that has materially changed the church's direction versus Benedict XVI or JP II.

I actually don’t know enough to respond meaningfully (even though my mom is/was extremely catholic and I generally try to keep up with this stuff.) I was just trying to helpfully amend the statement to something that might work for you, because you’re so kind-hearted. You said he’s good at optics so I took a stab.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Uhh i think you’ll find that giles has the voice of an angel.

I mean, yes. Have you heard his album though? because it’s very... You know, I don’t even know what it is.

Here’s a track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSzZtkKmlTE

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Pick posted:

Venom is popular because it's hitting some weird national feeling about being so lonely that goo that becomes your pants sounds really captivating

It really does sound captivating. I have to go see this movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I was thinking more Bubs in stereotypical Native American regalia and the offhand comments about trouble with the native population, but sure.

People are welcome to watch these and come to their own conclusions. :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT4SGdq0ZyU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy3UV9BmLJs

The native population was a tire. Frankly, I can’t think of a single way they could have made that bit more problematic (but also yeah the outfit, jeez.)

The children’s book seemed fine though. Is “whatshername looks like a dude” transphobic? It didn’t register that way to me but I can see how it might.