Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Lol no joke episode of wife swap with him, he actively discourages his son from engaging in physical activities like riding his bike.
I really like Penn and Teller's magic. I think Penn can be an outrageously funny guy. I enjoy listening to Penn talk even when I disagree with him. All that said, I cannot imagine a worse possible fate than being one of his children. If he had any compassion or humanity left in his heart, he should have taken them out to the forest and left them to be raised by wolves (and I'm not just saying that because of that time he wore a Klan costume to his daughter's kindergarten read along).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Wheat Loaf posted:

His daughter is the one he named "Moxie Crimefighter" right?
That is correct, yes.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Krispy Wafer posted:

2.) Pickett's charge
When you have one of the commanding generals criticizing the plan before it even happens I think the charge has aged just about as well as it possibly could have.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Well there is this

Also IIRC the Union guns deliberately stopped firing to give the Confederates the impression that the bombardment was working, and then opened up again once Pickett's division came out into the open.
Even so, the idea of marching 15,000 men nearly a mile uphill into an entrenched enemy position seems like the kind of thing that should have been kicked around a little more in the planning stage.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

FactsAreUseless posted:

Also all their sketches went on too long.
There's a sketch from the first season that I loved and have fond memories for but I've been terrified to try and look up again online because I'm afraid it will suffer from this problem. It's the one where Phil LaMarr is a random executive complaining about Bryan Callen's insanely disappointing report.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Davros1 posted:

That reminds me of DC Comics having a character that they boasted was the first gay character (Extrano), but not that you'd never know, since it was never mentioned in the comics.
He had AIDS. Do I need to draw you a map? Duh. :smugdon: DC comics respects the audience's ability to pick up on the obvious implication.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

SiKboy posted:

The only good simpsons episodes with guest stars are the ones where the guest star is playing a character rather than themselves. No exceptions. Okay, one or two exceptions, but seriously not many. And when I think about it, at least two of the exceptions feature a beatle.
Agreed with the stipulation that Simpsons Ron Howard counts as a character.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

King of Foolians posted:

And thanks to the internet I just found out that the actor who played Chief Hotate, Jonathan Joss, was also the voice of John Redcorn.
I did a comical double take, apparently, when he briefly appeared in the Cohen brothers True Grit.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Iron Crowned posted:

Transformers The Movie holds up very well at least. I suspect it's because they kill nearly all the original transformers in the first 10 minutes to sell all new toys.
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/To_sell_toys

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Wheat Loaf posted:

He did it for the Kingdom Hearts games as well; it's apparently the one role he'll never say no to revisiting.
It's not the only one but people keep hanging up on him when he calls to offer a Byron De La Beckworth cameo.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

oldpainless posted:

Also every bajoran on the show was thoroughly unlikable while dukat did a fantastic reasonable hitler routine
I want to emptyquote this because I am incredibly Space Racist against Bajorans. Every single Bajoran that ever appeared on Star Trek was the worst part of whatever episode they were in (and that's quite an accomplishment considering Ensign Ro is in the episode where people de-age into child actors).

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Len posted:

I remember the old DC cartoons being well written and having connections across the entire franchise. What the hell happened that they couldn't make that happen in movie form?
Dwayne McDuffie, the guy most responsible for the good parts of the JLU and other DC animated properties, died.

Without him producing you get stuff like Killing Joke because, as talented as they might be, Bruce Timm and Paul Dini still need good oversight.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Tom Tucker posted:

I can only submit, and I'm sure it has been said before, but it's worth repeating:

The West Wind Season 3 Episode (_), Isaac and Ishmael

Rushed into production in three weeks, this "very special" episode of the West Wing buckled under the weight of its own self righteousness almost immediately and was condescending to the characters and audience to the point of nausea. The West Wing was one of the best shows ever made but re-watching this episode now is like listening to that rear end in a top hat in Philosophy 101 talking about the Matrix for five minutes while the professor tries to interrupt him.

September 11th didn't happen in the West Wing "universe", but that doesn't stop the characters from acting like it did during a lockdown at the White House that allows them to lecture sanctimoniously to a group of stranded highschoolers about how Islam is a religion of peace. That commercial with the Native American turning to the camera with a tear rolling down his face had more subtly.

It may have tonally been a little more appropriate at the time but looking back now the whole thing comes across as preachy. Worst of all the B plot (if you can call anything a plot) involves Leo, a beloved character, playing the role of "racist rear end in a top hat" while interrogating an innocent man with a Muslim name for reasons passing comprehension who all but wraps himself in the flag and shames Leo and, by extension, the viewer. Looking back on the episode now through the lens of the terrifying rise of white supremacy in the country makes its saccharin plea for restraint and coming together in the face of evil seem outdated and absurd.
I always thank whatever higher power I'm believing in that day that Aaron Sorkin was on enough drugs that 9/11 didn't completely shatter him the way it did his fellow 'too smart for all you rubes' entertainment figure Dennis Miller. Imagine how bad Studio 60 could have been if Sorkin was completely sober for the attacks.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

hard counter posted:

here's ebert's review: https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/starship-troopers-1997 ; heinlein was weird, weird enough that i can fully understand dunking on him 60 years later but we should really first consider his positive impacts on the genre of sci-fi before we go hog wild since he was one of its most influential writers, being one the big 3 founding fathers alongside clarke and asimov
I honestly try not to do that goon thing where you isolate one tiny part of a good post and zoom in on it to 'well actually', but, dude, Bradbury is right there and he fits the A, B, C pattern.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

FactsAreUseless posted:

Bradbury's works transcend the author, who was a pretty poo poo dude. Martian Chronicles, Illustrated Man, F451 all hold up.
Yeah, I really like a lot of Asimov's nonfiction writing and unquestionably put him up on the sci-fi Mt. Rushmore but, just like the people up on actual Mt. Rushmore I'm more than capable of acknowledging that there are... issues.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

GoutPatrol posted:

In conclusion, SVU is terrible and it amazing it is still on the air.
The best episode of SVU (and pretty much the last one that I watched) is one of the episodes featuring Ludacris as Finn's son, on trial for something or the other, where he gets off largely by pointing out all the amazingly hosed up things the SVU squad does on a regular basis. The end of the episode has pretty much the entire cast facing disciplinary charges or being threatened with worse. It is the perfect ending to the show if you ask me.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

BiggerBoat posted:

Speaking of Pesci and SNL, this walk on aged pretty well and always cracks me up

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3w087z
Also speaking of Pesci and things that have aged like fine wine... only the exact opposite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d3IM8lIASI

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Jedit posted:

^^^ Even if you recalled correctly, a full house smashes two pair.
He does recall correctly and the whole point of it is that Death has four of a kind which he presents as two pairs of queens so that he doesn't have to win because Death is, as written, vaguely on our side.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Krispy Wafer posted:

Or just put on the Food Network. Unless someone in your family really hates red velvet cake or truffle oil you're probably golden.
Weirdly enough I tried that last night while I was working on something but for some reason they were doing a marathon of Worst Cooks in America and Anne Burrell's voice ruined that plan. I don't understand at all why she is a Food Network personality; she doesn't seem to be that talented of a chef or have much in the way of accomplishments nor is she particularly nice to look at or listen to on television with a big marketable personality.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

oldpainless posted:

Cosby did a terrible inexcusable thing and I am of course referring to making the tv show the Cosby mysteriesLeonard, Part Six.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Cleretic posted:

I'm pretty sure there's another of the bigger conservative celebrities that actually did swing from left to far-right after a brain injury, though. I want to say Roseanne?
Ron Silver, like a lot of people, went completely insane after 9/11 and swung to stupid right though apparently posthumously his brother claims that he didn't actually vote for McCain / Palin.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

I think that 2003 me didn't really understand that you couldn't really do more Matrix sequels that were like the first movie; they needed to either drastically change the rules of the actual Matrix or have them take place not in the Matrix in order for them to be able to tell stories that had like a plot arc or 'reasons for anyone to ever punch or shoot anyone'. The Matrix, taken as a stand-alone movie, is brilliant but taken as the start of a film franchise is... um... not strong. There aren't any real questions left unanswered within the text of the actual film in The Matrix to build a 'sequel' on and so what we got might have been the best possible take on trying to do one (though 2003 me and 2020 me don't enjoy what we got).

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

I don't really watch television any more so when people started talking about an awful CBS show where the lead harasses women my brain immediately went to Shark, a James Woods vehicle that apparently was mercy killed by the writers strike in 2007.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Neito posted:

Scott Adams has always been crazy, there just used to be an editor or time delay between you and his glass-smooth brain.

ETA context: my favorite example is basically the back quarter of Dilbert Future. If you haven't read it, and can stand the Adamsian writing style, do so, because it starts with "The theory of evolution will be debunked in our lifetime, possibly by disproving the concept of linear time" and gets dumber from there. Dude's always been certain he's the smartest person in the room because he could install Windows 95 without help.
I read two of his Dilbert prose books back in the 90s and I still remember a chapter where he set out to disprove gravity. Or, I guess, present an alternate theory that would explain everything just as well and it was hilariously obvious that he didn't understand anything about gravity beyond 'things fall down'.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Tiggum posted:

There's a billboard near my house advertising a lottery, asking the question of what you'd do if you won the big prize, and the supplied answer is "buy my boss's business and run it my way", which strikes me as possibly the worst answer short of "gift the money to Elon Musk".
Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah there was that 20 year stretch from the mid 70s to the mid 90s where there were a lot of movies about either how crime ridden cities were or how in the future lawless gangs were going to take over.
One of my favorite stupid 90s takes on the gang infested future of America was from the movie version of Double Dragon (which I liked as a kid); the police of Los Angeles made a deal with the gangs where the gangs give up all their guns and the police stop enforcing any kind of law at night. You needed it to set up the (very very bad) premise of the Double Dragon games where nobody shoots anyone ever but even as a kid come on.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

rodbeard posted:

Boardwalk Empire took some random corrupt politician and made him out to be a larger than life crime boss. People always remember the 5 seasons of him succeeding and not the 30 seconds of him bleeding out at the end. For a lot of people that's just literally how men are supposed to live. We get taught that America was founded by rugged individualism.
My deepest lingering Boardwalk Empire regret is that the time skip robbed us of the scene of Arnold Rothstein laying in a bed bleeding to death having been shot for (probably) cheating at cards and refusing to pay off his losses. The character whose whole deal in the show was being 'above' the petty street poo poo being murdered over a stupid game of cards by some random nerd not connected to any of the 'grand' plots of organized crime.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

The Sopranos is a lot like Seinfeld in that the leads are all charismatic enough that it is easy to lose sight of the fact that they're all supposed to be the worst people alive. You root for them because they're the protagonists and the show is essentially all about their vision of the world and the way that the world works but they're terrible and once you remember that it is easier to understand why The Sopranos is insanely misogynistic.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Endorph posted:

are you thinking of sinfest? i never read megatokyo but i cant find anything on google about this. all i got was one of the author talking about being annoyed by republicans.

Vandar posted:

Now that you mention it, that probably is what they're referring to.
The best part about this is that I'm not sure which artist would be more upset (based strictly on art and not touching the politics) about being confused for the other.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I have no idea why but when I played Dead Space I thought Isaac was black and I got a surprise when we saw under his mask.
Because he doesn't talk at all in the first game, when I was playing through it originally I created a whole character in my head of Isaac as an overworked 40-something career maintenance guy who was mostly irritated that what he assumed would be a simple job turned into Dead Space. I was legitimately disappointed when he took off his helmet at the end of the game to reveal Generic Protagonist Guy.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's pretty hilarious how so many beloved classic pop culture properties were chucked together by harried dudes at toy companies who just needed to get poo poo completed and out the door and had no idea that nerds would be pouring over the "lore" for the next 40 to 50 years. Pretty much all the Transformers characters and the setting and the entire backstory of planet Cybertron and everything was thrown together over a single weekend by some comicbook writer who'd been sent over to Hasbro by Marvel as a one-off gig
Leading to one of my favorite pieces of Transformers media to date, this page:

The characters all standing around, facing random directions, sometimes out of scale, sometimes drawn completely differently than the way they would appear in every comic after this page just saying their own names and a vague description of what they might do. Why hasn't this been adapted into any of the movies?

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Edge & Christian posted:

As it was, the issue where Spider-Man gets the black costume came out at the end of August 1984
Spider-Man also has his black costume in his one and only appearance in the Transformers comic series; showing up to team up with Gears of all robots in issue 3 of the Transformers limited series (which ended up running for around 80 issues).

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

John Murdoch posted:

Was that the black costume or was that one of the issues they had to paint over Spider-Man for the reprints?
Apparently it was his actual black costume because, and I am not making this up, another company had recently released a Spider-Man action figure and Hasbro didn't want to advertise for another company's toy so they insisted that the crossover feature his black suit even though it had been discarded, as Edge & Christian said, several months earlier in actual continuity.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Mattel, some will note, is not Hasbro. Hasbro didn't want to 'advertise' for Mattel's action figure in 'their' comic book.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

I AM GRANDO posted:

Didn’t her Hobbit videos rip into warner for destroying New Zealand’s labor laws?
Yes, with the aid of one of the Dwarf actors from the films.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Also, Catherine Zeta-Jones is insanely horny for The Phantom
The thing I remember about The Phantom (aside, for some reason, from the villains name being Xander Drax which is almost a palindrome) is that I personally think that Billy Zane is a pretty attractive guy but for some reason the people making The Phantom worked overtime to make sure he looked like a complete dork through the entire run of the film.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Mr Interweb posted:

dunno if they belong here cause technically they probably were never all that good in the first place, but i noticed cinemasins has fallen off greatly in popularity. they have videos over a month old that haven't cracked 200k. now, some of the older ones are hovering around 500k or slightly more, so it's not like these guys are gonna wind up on the streets or anything, but this is a channel that used to breeze past 1 million per videos within a week easily. they used to perform similarly to Honest Trailers, who unlike them, are doing better than ever.
Their videos become boring and fairly repetitive past a point since they don't seem to really develop a lot of 'new' jokes. Ryan George who does the Pitch Meeting videos, originally on Screen Rant now on their own channel, talks about working hard to figure out new funny things to say on his vids and not just fall into doing the exact same bits on each movie (beyond his running jokes). But also I think there's still something to the fact that movies and going to the movie theaters to watch them have not recovered from the pandemic and people are just seeing less films; domestic box office numbers are still down like 25% compared to 2019.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Jack Palance was so great at playing detestable scumbags, some genuine top tier shitbaggery :allears: If you wanted an audience to instantly hate a character and not stop and go "Wait, maybe he's right?" then Palance was your man

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

John Murdoch posted:

That's how you end up with Wookiepedia. And like at least two decades of unnecessary EU crap explaining the deep and intricate backstories of every. single. background character.
One of the things that I always come back to when talking about the EU is that for a long time, most Star Wars nerds thought that there was never going to be any more Star Wars. It seems stupid to say this now but before The Phantom Menace was announce basically every Star Wars fan who wanted more Star Wars was left to make up their own dumb stories about Osleo Prennert. There were stories that George Lucas "planned" Star Wars as a nine episode series (that's why Star Was was Episode 4!) but no one really thought he would ever want to do those movies and so we got hundreds of pulp fiction sci-fantasy books by authors who could churn out pulp fiction sci-fantasy books filling in all the 'missing' details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Diet Poison posted:

Agreed. A big part of me is just burnt out on "the world needs to be saved". I think I'd like Stranger Things more if they took out all the, uh, stranger things. I guess it'd just be a weird 80s show called "Things" about nerdy kids playing DnD and working lovely mall jobs.
I think that is why a lot of people would have liked the series to be an anthology show rather than the continuing adventures of this group of 80s kids in a small town (and Russia). This also would have hopefully cut back on the constantly ramping up of 'danger' (that we know isn't actually dangerous since none of the featured cast are going to die) and hanging the fate of the entire world in the balance. I am so not interested in Stranger Things Only Now The World Is Literally On Fire that they've set up for season five and honestly was more or less coasting through most of season four.