Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

muscles like this! posted:

There was also the Yu Gi Oh anime which even in Japan cut out the beginning of the story to get right to the part where he plays fake MTG. This means it completely glosses over the whole thing about Yugi getting possessed by ancient Egyptian king who straight up ironic revenge stuff to bad people.

That actually did get adapted, just earlier by a completely different production company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I know this sentiment has been said before, but I wish my life was as awesome as Al Bundy's.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

BiggerBoat posted:

Since we're talking about animation, King of the Hill and Beavis and Butthead still hold up really well. Mike Judge is great.

Ren & Stimpy and South Park not so much.

Even before it became nothing but topical humor, South Park seemed to really rely on "random" pop culture references that were funny to 14 year old me, but are about as funny as a Newgrounds cartoon now. Beavis and Butt-Head is still loving hilarious 20+ years later because it's more a loving parody of youth culture.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

CommonShore posted:

Have they released Beavis and Butthead with the compete music videos yet? Or should we expect that to just remain in hell forever?

The most recent DVD release claims to have music videos, but it's also said "episodes hand picked by Mike Judge", so it's probably nowhere near complete.

Some pirates made DVD ISOs with all of the episodes and videos intact, not sure how much I'm allowed to talk about that here, though.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
My problem with That 70's Show is that it's a terrible hangover show. It's all really shrill people shouting at each other over fart rock.

And in case anyone cares, the best hangover show is Bob's Burgers.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I will give one thing that's undeniably good about That 70s Show: it gave us That 70s Guy in the WCW.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

World War Mammories posted:

I'm the honkiest-rear end cracker that ever was and for years I did not understand that Michael Cera and Jesse Eisenberg are different people, thanks for reading

To be fair to you, there's a running gag in the weird Netflix season of Arrested Development based around this.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Solice Kirsk posted:

USA Up All Night was better. Bad movies with either Gilbert Gottfried or Rhonda Shear making fun of them/having big boobs was awesome. I think it's where I first saw Return of the Killer Tomatoes. And that movie is a comedy classic. One of the few sequels to surpass the original!

While the best stuff on Up All Night was the comedy/horror stuff, I have fond memories of the absurd tv edits of boob comedies like The Bikini Car Wash Company and The Bikini Car Wash Company II. Whenever there'd be nudity during those films' numerous musical montages, they'd replace it with the same couple scenes of cars going through a car wash, so you'd see the same stock footage 10-20 times. Boob comedies and TV edits probably don't age well, but they were pretty great at the time.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

There were also cartoons of Ace Ventura and The Mask, at least the former of which is not an appropriate movie for the age bracket targeted by the cartoon, though I was in fact in that age bracket and also loved the movie at the time. I remember telling my mother that Jim Carrey didn't provide the voices on the cartoon adaptations, and she considered that an act of hubris on his part.

Did any of those cartoon adaptations have the lead actors from the movie, other than the Bill & Ted cartoon?

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Solice Kirsk posted:

No one has ever wanted the modern day/future stuff in Assassin's Creed games. Which is why they will always be in there.

I got sick of the series a couple hours into Revelations, but I didn't really ever have a problem with the modern day stuff, other than it seemed to stall out during the Ezio games. I liked doing the puzzles to unlock more backstory in AC2.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

walrusman posted:

You'd think it would be cheaper to just hire someone to make sure everyone takes off their Casio watches before the filming starts.

Not even the best period piece in cinematic history could manage that:

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Krispy Wafer posted:

Butt cheeks on TV was such a big deal in the 90’s. People lost their loving minds over it.

Butt holes on TV will be such a big deal in the 20’s.

And it's about time!

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

hard counter posted:

you wouldn't want henry cavill running around naked because air drag vaporized his suit would you

It periodically happens to Goku.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Can we make a general rule on the forums that when people start saying outlandish bullshit, we just let them keep going? Those people are always a good laugh.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'll admit that I'm more familiar with the 90s movies than the TV show, but one of my favorite parts of The Addams Family is that they're a very loving and functional family.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Arivia posted:

I watched Evangelion while I was sick with the flu and on a bunch of meds. Couldn’t have done better. I got sicker as the series fell apart; when it went crazy I was right there with it.

This was my experience watching the Evangelion 3.33 movie. Apparently it's not very good, but my memories are exactly like having a fever dream about an Evangelion sequel, which made it the right way to see it. From what I remember, Kaworu is good now, Asuka has an eyepatch, and they all live on a boat.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Solice Kirsk posted:

Aeon Flux was better as the little shorts on Liquid Television than the fully formed show.

People always say this as if the season of full episodes of Aeon Flux isn't still weird as Hell and amazing.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't watched any Doctor Who since the story arc centered around Maisie Williams doing a bunch of extremely wooden acting.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Laterite posted:

I went to high school with Monkey Woman. It was both incredibly surreal and completely unsurprising to see her pop up on the show, particularly as that character. She was not only a Drama Kid but also a Choir Kid and was the living epitome of both tropes.

A friend of a friend was "Mulletman" who was either on one episode or only in deleted scenes, and I would say your statement also applied to him, but that would be mean to drama kids. I can't remember if he's a goon or not, but if he is, gently caress you.

Keeping on track with this thread's topic, he was also on an episode of Jerry Springer where he pretended he was into wearing his mom's underwear. From what I remember, it was extremely transphobic, even for 2001.

Twitch has a new favorite as of 18:49 on Jan 21, 2021

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Grouchio posted:

Is this the thread to discuss how Mother Teresa was a psychopath?

Seems like as good a place as any.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I think I just liked Whedon back in the day because poo poo pandering to nerds didn't come out as much as it does now.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

hyperhazard posted:

Mind expanding on this? I have a friend who keeps telling me I HAVE to watch it, and I don't really want to sit through 20 hours of terrible. If it's just cliched writing, I can handle it, but I don't really want to dive into diet racism or gay panic or anything.

Basically, the overarching storylines in Sherlock get increasingly stupid as the show goes on. I'd honestly recommend watching it, but bail as soon as you aren't into it. I thought the first series or two are okay.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
poo poo, I remembered the Daily Show being good until Trevor Noah took over, guess I was wrong.

I still like the Flop House (podcast hosted by a Daily Show writer and cohosted by a former Daily Show writer), but there's definitely the occasional dogshit political take there.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

the_steve posted:

How has Jon Lovitz held up over the years? Not his material necessarily, but the man himself?
The most recent thing I remember even hearing about him was several years ago when he punched out/threatened to punch out Andy Dick for saying something really lovely.

I ask because I found out he's making an appearance at a local comic con in June, and I want to make sure my excitement to meet him isn't actually a bad thing.

I get some weird out of touch celebrity vibes from him, but nothing monstrous. I'm basing a lot of this on some podcasts he did with Kevin Smith a few years back.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

I've never been able to enjoy MASH. No you will not convince me that I have to watch certain episodes or seasons, every time I've seen MASH I wished I was watching literally anything else.

Sorry MASHailures.

I pretend I'm a fan of MASH, but I mostly just remember the chicken story episode because it was used as a tragic backstory for a Metal Gear boss.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I finally watched Hamburger: the Motion Picture, and it's aged horribly in basically every way possible. Highly recommended if you like hollaring at lovely old comedies. The best I can say is that the characters are all adults and there's only one f slur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Pastry of the Year posted:

Why did you watch Hamburger: The Motion Picture?

"80s boob comedy at a fast food manager training school" was a premise I couldn't resist.