Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

The only thing I can really remember about that show is that there was an episode where the Martians were filling up a big rear end jar with human brains.

Don't they also have their hands come out of human stomachs or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I love Quantum Leap and am now afraid of watching it again to see if any of the writing has aged poorly.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Cox even says it in the first season, no one should be like him because HE can barely stand himself.

JD was fine up until around Season 4 where they dropped the intelligence, seriousness, and humaness of the character and just made it lol JD so girly and dumb. When Season 8 came around they finally got him back on track (mostly). Oddly, the weirder think that didn't age well with JD is that all of a sudden he becomes awkwardly racist in the later seasons.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Quote-Unquote posted:

Coronation Street has 9,451 episodes as of today so I'm fairly sure it counts as the longest running TV show ever

Meet the Press has been on since 1948, I think probably has the most episodes of anything ever but its a new show.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Meanwhile Brooklyn 99 tells people to cut the poo poo.

quote:

It may come as no surprise that “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” actress Stephanie Beatriz has no trouble speaking up when a man’s behavior crosses a line. In a recent interview with Vulture, the actress and LGBTQ advocate shared an anecdote that will sound all too familiar to many women in Hollywood, about an older male actor who was calling everyone “honey,” “babe,” and “baby” on set. (Beatriz did not share the actor’s name). Observing him interacting with the other women on set, Beatriz remembers wishing he would call her a name just so she would have a chance to respond.

“Sure enough once we hit set, he did speak to me that way, and I said, ‘I’d really prefer it if you called me by my name.’ And he was like, ‘All right, sweetie.’ And then I stopped and said, ‘No. I am actually serious. I am not sweetie. My name is Stephanie, and I’d like you to call me by my actual name.’ And he was a little bit of an older guy, and I don’t think he was used to anybody talking to him that way, especially not a young woman.”

It’s the kind of assertive statement many actresses might not feel comfortable making, but after many seasons on the show, Beatriz knew her “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” team would have her back. She went on:

“But that was our show. It’s our house, and I wasn’t going to let him come into our house and disrespect the crew, the other actors, myself. It was really great that I felt really supported in that. Everyone around me, the director that day, the crew, our creators, rallied around me and said, ‘Yeah. You did the right thing. Thank you for speaking up and making sure that you felt comfortable in your work environment.'”

Beatriz plays Detective Rosa Diaz on “Brooklyn Nine-Nine,” which was recently canceled by Fox before NBC picked it up for a sixth season. Beatriz is bisexual, which inspired the writers on the show to dedicate two full episodes to Rosa’s coming out as bisexual. Gina Rodriguez played Rosa’s love interest in the fifth season finale, which aired on Sunday. Read the full interview with Beatriz here.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It worked, didn't it?

I would say her character was better than most of the characters on the show and was kind of an interesting premise.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

John Murdoch posted:

Like the one where Batman has to contend with a giant chicken.

Because The Real Ghostbusters did it better.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

WescottF1 posted:

John Stossel from 20/20 learned the hard way that saying wrestling is fake around wrestlers is a bad idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrX9Ca7LSyQ

To be fair Stossel is pretty lovely.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Rirse posted:

Meanwhile TBS these days seems to air nothing but Big Bang Theory. How in the world that show gets four hours a day of airing on that channel.

To be fair to Big Bang Theory, that's the reason it survived.

Also, Law and Order has some amazing episodes but any episode having to do with technology or either classic or SVU early teen years don't stand up very well.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Schmeichy posted:

Speaking of Colbert and misplaced faith in things, has he made any jokes about the recent Catholic scandals?

I know you probably didn't mean it this way but I don't think Colbert is loyal to the institution of the Catholic Church more so he is a believer in (most) of the teachings of Catholicism. It's not like he defends the church and its actions nor would he say that the institution isn't fallible, he just happens to really believe in the religion.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Leavemywife posted:

90s cop show that seems like it's going to be a little rough around the edges.

Probably but it is interesting to watch say Law and Order to see a few things:

A) What were hot button issues at the time?
B) Early law and order episodes weren't afraid to show the ways police can be real lovely.
C) See how technology has progressed.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Cleretic posted:

I dunno, that's something you don't really get currently. I noticed this when I was back home for Christmas, there aren't really any good, inoffensive, 'put on in the background' sitcoms anymore. Chuck Lorre's stuff debatably, but even Big Bang Theory is ending soon, and that doesn't have the right 'pleasant white noise in the background without needing full attention' that stuff like Friends or apparently The Office does.

Modern Family?
The Goldbergs?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Krispy Wafer posted:

Yeah, the ABC shows are a good choice. If you want to inject a little controversy you can always include Blackish.

Or just put on the Food Network. Unless someone in your family really hates red velvet cake or truffle oil you're probably golden.

I don't know if I am becoming an old man but I laugh at Modern Family a lot. Sure its mostly in offensive but I guess not all humor has to be...

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

The EPA guy in Ghostbusters is definitely a weird thing because the only reason he's wrong is because he's against the main characters. Egon even mentions earlier in the movie that the stuff they're using is unlicensed and not thoroughly tested.

MY sister and I were talking about Ghostbusters and that looking in a 2019 lens, it comes across as super conservative but in 1984 they saw it as counter-culture. I thought it was an interesting point but still somewhat problematic movie in 2019.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Is Forrest Gump secretly a satire? I remembered the nasty way the movie treats Jenny but I forgot that Forrest literally gets rich from a business idea he stole from a black guy.

After Hours had a great look at this.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

I never got the love for season 1 in the first place. It feels like a show designed by committee to be the most prestigious grimdark show ever designed to win Emmys. Almost like a parody of a prestige show except it's playing it straight. I knew the moment the intro started that I would hate it. I feel the same way about Westworld. I liked the long tracking shot scene though.

The other problem someone once pointed out to me was that its essentially 5 episodes of exposition and then the last episode. I look back at it as amazing actors elevating some mediocre to good scripts.

Going back to Scrubs real quick, the main characters were meant to be flawed but ultimately decent people but they didn't want to be like other sitcoms where everything resets after an episode or two. But Bill Lawerence said he flaw was letting the writers essentially go nuts with characters because they were always on the verge of being cancelled every season. Seasons 1 - 3 are completely different in tone and writing than seasons 4 - 7. Lawerence basically killed JD and Elliot after the 3rd season because he thought the writers were doing a disservice to the characters and when season 8 was going to be for reals last season the writers came back to him. And they said absolutely not unless they could have them be mature. Season 8s tone was way closer to the original season to the later seasons and it shows.

I mentioned it earlier in the thread was the awkwardly racist things JD would say as the seasons got on despite the fact in early seasons he was way more smart about race issues. In fact JD's character was originally smart but a bit arrogant. Then it became JD is exaggerated Zach Braff.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Brother Entropy posted:

no, carla was enjoying having someone to go to art shows and whatnot with. the problem came when JD got all weird and insecure about her helping him out at work and giving him a cute nickname and he snaps at her, pulling the 'i'm the doctor, you're the nurse' card

it's one of those billions of examples of JD being an rear end in a top hat to his friends but them ultimately forgiving him

He got weird because Carla stood up for him and Cox made fun of him and didn't know how to handle it. but again season 1-3 JD while not the best person at least was relate-able as a person, who was trying to be a good person and then he just got weird.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The more I hear about Scrubs the happier I am I missed out on it.

It has its problems but it was and still is a great show with a lot of heart. Its just as you are older you can see the issues it had as time went on. If you get a chance watch seasons 1-5 and Season 8, you won't regret it.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

At least on House the staff around him was somewhat competent including Cuddy and Wilson. The offender of smart assholes was American House of Cards. Frank Underwood wasn't so much smart as everyone had to be written as so loving dumb to make him the smartest man alive.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

OutOfPrint posted:

This right here. My wife put P&R on as her background noise show, and nowadays it carries that undercurrent of "If we leave things alone and not worry too much it'll all work out" that looks downright quaint these days. Plus the whole multiple sexpests thing.

That...I... what?

Leslie's whole character is that things need to change and she is willing to put the hard work despite an apathetic public and staff to make change.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

BioEnchanted posted:

From what I saw of the character, mostly from compilation clips, he is partially falling into toxic masculinity but doesn't go all the way, for example there are lots of people he genuinely cares about like April and Andy, April because she has an attitude he respects and Andy because he's like a big stupid son to him. Also he doesn't hide his emotions well, he tries, but we all know his adorable giggle when the tiny horse shows up or when playing football with Andy after enjoying a Meat Tornado (a mexican food truck item he is initially sceptical abut but ends up loving the name so much he's like "OK, you got me."). Basically he tries for Toxic Manhood, but actually kind of fails at sticking the landing.

He also tolerates dissent and doesn't push his world view on anyone. Plus he encourages academic learning and thinks women are equal to men. He's this weirdly contradictory character that works because he can be whatever the writers need him to be at that moment.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Sid Vicious posted:

It actually has a pretty long running arch, at least with regards to character development, watch until JD starts driving you insane with his childish behaviour and then keep watching because of Ted and the Janitor

Watch the following seasons of scrubs:

Definite: 1-3, 8
Good: 4 and 5
Skip: 6, 7, and 9

The first three seasons are really good and actually acknowledge the complexity and toxicity of their characters. They are in fact very human, if flawed people.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

purple death ray posted:

What was the series that was about a kid and his friend was the ghost of a kid his age who'd died in like the 1920s or something?

Ghostwriter?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Krispy Wafer posted:

What is this? 1950? Baseball is more diverse than the population as a whole.

Baseball players make more money because their careers typically last longer.

And their union is super strong.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

christmas boots posted:

If You Give A Moose A Motive

So wait it's a Hatchet sequel and a sequel to If You Give A Moose a Muffin?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

Ironically the best Punisher story is punisher Vs. the Marvel universe which is about Zombies but the main theme of the story is how much the punisher sucks

Cause he causes it basically.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Jaxts posted:

Sev'ral Timez is overrated

They're no 2ge+her.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

rodbeard posted:

For some reason this fake band played a free concert at my highschool. The fat guy is Chris Farley's brother. The terminally ill one actually was terminally ill.

I loved the show when it came on but I imagine would be such a time and place tv show that it wouldn't age well today.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I don't think it's so much that gen z doesn't hate the music industry so much as they're capable of simply bypassing it entirely and do so without a thought.

Right. In the 80s and 90s and early 00s the radio or MTV (and sometimes VH1?) dominated what music was influencial and what bands made it. While to an extent radio has a huge influence now a days, streaming service bypasses the big structures that used to exist.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

Because shocker-of-shocker it turns out that quite a few people are insecure, entitled rage-balls like Walt and emphasize way too hard with the fantasy that once "they" could get "out of the way" they would thrive and be badasses who exert power over others. In my experience the only thing that will keep people from latching on is if you're very careful to never frame said character as cool in any way. Even one small insert shot of the character posing and flexing can be enough.

This is why there's a fanclub for Travis Bickle and that awful Joker movie, but not Rupert Pupkin or Jake LaMotta.

Or why people gravitate to Rick in Rick and Morty.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

AceOfFlames posted:

Another low point was the penultimate season finale where Cuddy breaks up with House and he retaliates by driving a car through her loving living room window and then escapes to a tropical paradise. The final season premiere where he's in jail was clearly a response to the furious fan response accusing the show of promoting domestic abuse (he literally starts the episode by explaining to the cops that he made sure there was no one in the room and that Cuddy's daughter was not in the house, which was straight from an actual conversation the writers had in Twitter)

I actually liked the show up until that point and then dropped off the final season. House's break up with Cuddy was handled so poorly it felt like the writers were trying to punish people for actually enjoying a show where House and Cuddy were working and happy together and then yah the whole driving the car through the home thing just made me walk away.

The real cracks came after Season 4 when I should of realized that the show was in a bad spot when Cameron and Chase broke up because Hosue is a jerk and the writers had no way of writing an actual ok relationship.

AceOfFlmaes posted:

House as a whole didn't age well because it's whole point is glorifying the fantasy so many toxic people have of being able to treat everyone around them like poo poo and still be respected and beloved because they are so loving good at their jobs.

It was the early 2000s Anti-Hero/toxic hero phase. I remember the whole Dr. Cox/Dr. House who would you be better at insulting you debate on the forums. Scrubs at least showed you that Dr. Cox was super destructive and his life sucked because he is a toxic rear end in a top hat.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The crazy thing was it was a procedural that was somehow appointment TV in 2006. I remember in college half the people in my dorm used to pack the TV lounge every week to watch it. I can’t imagine that happening with, say, Law and Order. Or House if it aired now, for that matter.

Law and Order Classic/Vanilla was/is good though. I actually think Law and Order usually does a decent job of being like this is where we are as a society today with all the complications that go with it.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Original L&O, on the whole, was an excellent show. The interaction between the prosecutors and cops was great. They hosed up on the regular and lost a good number of cases.

There's some episodes in the earlier seasons that aged pretty poorly though which I think I've mentioned before in this thread. There was one in particular with a mentally challenged teen being sexually assaulted by her classmates and whether she could legally give consent or not was the central issue. All the main characters throw around "retarded" like it's going out of style. Like, literally the DA going "McCoy we know this girl is retarded, but we need to you to find out exactly how retarded she is because the defense is claiming she's not retarded enough to not give consent". It was pretty loving shocking to hear today.

The show also goes weirdly pro-death penalty for the seasons where it was legal in New York before making a pretty abrupt shift in the opposite direction.

The few episodes I've seen of SVU are just a normal police procedural without that interplay and it's garbage.

To be fair though, you have to take L&O of a product of its time because thats probably how an old school prosecutor would of talked about something like that.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Arivia posted:

Speaking of McCoy and Gunshow, if you think House bends the rules a lot, you haven't seen anything yet. My personal favourite episode is Double Down, where McCoy tells Briscoe to his face not to tell him how the case is going, because that way he's technically not committing perjury when he goes in and flat-out lies to the court. Gunshow is McCoy going after the manufacturer because he fails to convict the shooter; "you can't legally do that!" "watch me." and McCoy's final closing gambit is to release a flood of bullets into the courtroom, one for each shot or shooting victim. It is an incredible, incredible scene.

To be fair thought the twist in that episode is basically the last minute of the shower in which spoiler in case you are going to watch a 25 year old episode the judge basically says, you won on the emotional argument but failed to prove your legal case and overturns the jury decisions.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Arivia posted:

I think if I was a criminal I’d want Stone trying me, not McCoy. Stone was a man of principles and very compassionate; McCoy is much more aggressive and vengeful. You can deal with Stone, you’ll have to do some time but he will let you plead it down. McCoy won’t take a plea at all. (This is also why Stone leaving feels so right: you can see him getting tired and worn down and just losing his faith in the work as a character, notwithstanding all the behind the scenes drama*.)

Now Cutter? Cutter’s just a ratfuck bastard, and you are completely screwed if your case crosses his desk.

*yeah for those of you not familiar with Law and Order’s history, here’s a fun fact: there was a controversy where L&O was considered too violent and bloody for broadcast television by the US government https://www.upi.com/Archives/1993/12/03/Law-Order-star-blasts-Reno-for-TV-censorship/2043754894800/

That’s right. Staid old L&O, too bloody and violent.

McCoy essentially says that the law is a game, whoever plays it best win and a quote that sticks with me.

Claire or Kincaid: What about justice?
McCoy: A byproduct.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

TheKennedys posted:

that scene is simultaneously the dumbest thing ever put on television and a perfect encapsulation of why NCIS owned (it didn't really bother taking itself seriously despite being a Very Serious Military Show). It is a very dumb show though.

NCIS is way about analyzing the characters via murder. Too bad Weatherly turned out to be a creep.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Solice Kirsk posted:

Randy was the worst kid anyways. Brad ruled and had a girlfriend and then the younger one was a goth dude.

Speaking of aging well...

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I wonder if there's thread material in what a piece of media might have been like if it was made ten years later. I've said that Animorphs could have ridden the YA wave if it came after Harry Potter showed kids can and will read novel-length books, it already had the content and tone. (Hella dark and violent) House MD became a formulaic parody of itself but kinda came off as a prototype for prestige television style serials. (At least with a charismatic rear end in a top hat protagonist and lots of well-off white people yelling at each other)

The Critic would of been a perfect [AS] show had it premiered a few years later.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

1990 was squarely in that weird pocket decade between the releases of Appetite for Destruction, and The Chronic. It was neither the 80's or the 90's.

1990 to like 1994 was so much different than 1995 to 2000 and its amazing to see reflected in pop culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Eclipse12 posted:

But Rick is still godlike, always right, and never has any actual consequences unless it's just to show how "tortured" he is. So I don't buy it that they're showing that he's bad. The show is just right up its own rear end set this point. The last handful of episodes were awful.

I watched the latest episode and something made me sort of uncomfortable watching it and having Jerry lead the undesirables and the type of people they described as the people who don't do anything for anyone. It reeks of the only thing that is worth anything is STEM people but even within the context of the show Rick hasn't produced anything to improve anyone else's life but his own. And oddly, the only person willing to defend Jerry is Morty.

Its hard to describe but they need to have some of the characters to occasionally pull something over on Rick because we run into the problem you have now with Rick. Cartman was kinda similar except occasionally he would get completely owned by someone.