Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

Inescapable Duck posted:

It is one of those shows where every character basically has their own aesthetic, with Ed's grungy horror-obsessed deal being something out of the early to mid 90s, while Eddy's room and preferred decor is very 70s. (And not even starting on Rolf) Kevin is very outdoorsy 90s as well. Though I like to think Eddy just has a bunch of his parents' old 70s stuff they were going to throw out and took a liking to it.

Also notable given it's a show that very strictly sticks to its economy cast; the only animated characters on-screen are the cul-de-sac kids, the Kankers and Rolf's livestock. Even when they have episodes in school, only the cul-de-sac kids are ever seen. The only exception is the movie.

Eddy is super in the 70s because he has a 20's something older brother he idolizes, and steals/get handed down a ton of junk the older brother doesn't want anymore. This comes up several times. Everyone else but Rolf (the weird Yakov Smirnoff take on the foreign kid is cringy as hell most of the time) is just a confused 90s kid. The purgatory thing is just dumb. I do think its a pretty good show for what it is though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

Picard got his academia friends to just gently caress with Wesley. He could have just gone to earth and got in, but was convinced he had to go through all these "tests".

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Doesn't the whole ending have the protagonist give up the space magic that powered the giant robots because it was slowly killing the universe, acknowledging the ultimate villains had a point, even though he could have used it just one last time to revive his girlfriend?

No His response to that is "Thats your weakness", and deals with them. then has his last day with his GF, then he steps aside so the next generation can come up with even more ideas, then they throw more robots at it. "look its gurren laggan, look at all the gurren laggan" as they launch hundreds of them.

TyrsHTML has a new favorite as of 15:38 on May 24, 2022

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

Kwyndig posted:

Oh is that what he's doing now, I thought the clip I saw where he was on the set was just a bit.

Hes been the host since 2007!

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

My one kid has a gifted IEP in their school, it's a combination of the extra teacher coming into the class to do extra stuff with the gifted kids there and pulling them outas a group occasionally to his classroom.

Their friend works with the gifted teacher and then also goes to the separate IEP classroom, sort of like the leg up room Bart ends up in with the circles of paper. They recognize now that some kids need extra help, some kids need extra learning opportunities to keep them from getting bored, and some kids need both because they're advanced in some areas and behind in others.

I think that's great, it sounds a lot more helpful than what they had when I was a kid which was just like a once-a-week group discussion and photocopies of the day's crossword from the Inquirer.

My son is in the special help class due to ADHD and he's now almost a full grade ahead of his peers in class work because of how much better a smaller more focused class is. They are amazing and I wish I could have had that help 35 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

Asterite34 posted:

Not sure how I feel about "(Space) Hitler Was Right" as a plot point

I believe that was presented not as the correct idea, but the actions of a greedy deluded man who was going to fall anyway. Instead of alerting anyone and exploring the visions he just went "only I am smart enough to save everyone my way". And then did more damage than if he had never had the visions at all.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

"This whole scenario stinks of Warhams" I yell as I turn May the 4th into May the poo poo

It's all dune.