Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Mamkute posted:

They actually did send him to jail, that's why they had to get a replacement Darren.

award for oldest reference of the day for sure

SA: oldest forums on the internet :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

frankee posted:

Tony Soprano buying a laser disc player.

The first fast and furious where the team is hijacking a truck of dvds

And the supra plans are on a 3.5 inch disk

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

open24hours posted:

If only they were DVDs

oh wow, thanks! I should have known better. Heh, total street value: like, $20

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

WampaLord posted:

Technically, they are hijacking combo VCR/DVD players :eng101:

I had one in 95 or whenever but I seem to remember it being much bigger, I never understood 10 inch tv screens

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

muscles like this! posted:

In an opposite of aging poorly it turns out that Rifftrax is going back into old releases to edit out any jokes that are considered bad taste/offensive.

Cool - that reminds me of, was it a Gibson novel or K.W. Jeter who had a novel, with a scene where someone who was watching movies in which cursing and smoking had been edited out?

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

because cursing and smoking are exactly like transphobia and homophobia

Chill man i wasn't saying they were, i was just saying that the comment reminded me of the scene in the book; no equivalence is believed or was intended :)

Slippery has a new favorite as of 01:42 on Jan 14, 2019

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Byzantine posted:

Arthur C Clarke, The Ghost from the Grand Banks

Oh, wow, thanks! Good call. I have that in paperback on the shelf so that must be it. How did you remember that, or am I just a doofus and that's a really well known book?

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

aight, sorry. i've had to deal with a lot of people saying what i was arguing against, and went looking for it, i suppose

Hey, no problem, sorry I was unclear and caused confusion!

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Byzantine posted:

It stuck out to me cause I first read the book in 2012 on a bus ride with a bunch of smokers, so the "by 2012 smoking became so abhorrent people start editing it out of old movies" thing got a laugh.

Nice. I don't know why I remembered that scene as opposed to any other, or indeed any real idea of the book's plot :)

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

DrBouvenstein posted:

There's also CED:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitance_Electronic_Disc

Though I don't think anyone who collects CEDs does so because they think they're "warmer" or more natural than DVD or whatnot, like with audiophiles and vinyl, they just collect them because they like collecting old electronics.

Didn't Techmoan do a thing on them? That site/dude rules.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Thanks for confirming that, great watch!

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Last Chance posted:

hell yeah, the silver screen edition?

look how crisp it is

man that is well done

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It's sad to think the world might be too jaded for a Mr.Rogers now

only takes one good person to make a difference

just think of the quote from the best epispde ot the twilight zone (and/or horace mann)and refuse to die until you have won some victory for humanity

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Don Gato posted:

Speaking of Twilight Zone, I'm binging classic Twilight Zone episodes and the ending narration to Death's Head Revisited is amazing and the opposite of aging poorly:

The episode itself is also one of my favorites, it's about an SS captain returning to Dachau camp years after the war to reminisce, only to be judged by those he killed. I still can't believe it was made in 1961, and like any episode of the Twilight Zone it is about as subtle as a hammer to the head.

That one is amazing. Changing of the Guard is also great. And, Kick the Can.

For not-especially-meaningful but goodI also like And When the Sky was Opened but that's mainly because it has USAF people in it :(
Also 30 fathom grave, navy centered but good

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Detective No. 27 posted:

Sir Topham Hatt's job got automated and now he's Sir Topham Ramen.

*BBC Narrator voice* "Once he was feared and loved as Sir Topham Hatt. With the rise of Brexit, and through a combination of market decline, business efficiencies and the deleterious effects of late-stage capitalism, he is now a freelance 'gig economy' laborer. If he is addressed at all, it is sneeringly, and these days he answers to Johnny Ballcap."

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

I actually appreciate this FWIW.

I seriously think there should be a statue of Rigers somewhere

Mr. Rogers' Memorial Statue, Pittsburgh - ...
TripAdvisor › Attraction_Review-g5344...

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

poo poo I had no idea.

(In my defense I've never been to Pittsburgh and live in north Ontario)

tbf neither did I, I just assumed there had to be one :)

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Nckdictator posted:

I decided to be a contrarian rear end and see if I could find literally a single thing bad about Mr Rogers and i could only barely find one.

https://www.nybooks.com/articles/2019/01/17/ministry-of-mister-rogers/

So yeah, Rogers was a saint compared to 99% of humanity

Also, what the gently caress

there's a place in hell for those who would milkshake duck the Last Good Man :)

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

muscles like this! posted:

The EPA guy in Ghostbusters is definitely a weird thing because the only reason he's wrong is because he's against the main characters. Egon even mentions earlier in the movie that the stuff they're using is unlicensed and not thoroughly tested.

Yeah, I mean the Ghostbusters are cool guys and all but unlicensed particle accelerators that can cause the end of the world if you cross the streams are probably not something you want to just let dudes run around with willy-nilly

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Mamkute posted:

Daredevil S2: How did the Punisher survive the boat exploding? Anyway, because this thread isn't the IIMM thread, I have to bring up that New York is not crime-addled enough anymore to want or need the Punisher.

not sure how crime addled a place would need to be before I'd sanction a vigilante murderer executing people in any way he seems necessary

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Solice Kirsk posted:

What if, like, people got robbed in the street and stuff?

By...thugs??

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Solice Kirsk posted:

Worse.....ne'er-do-wells. Nogoodkniks. Hoodlums.

Juvenile delinquents?

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is cool, I've also never heard of this.

It's heartbreaking if you really think about it. Just inhuman and terrible all the way around.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Samuringa posted:

Is there anything Cosby did that aged well? Wasn't that one of the reasons to make the thread or at least one of the first subjects that were discussed at length?

His comedy from the 60s and 70s, maybe some episodes of I Spy?

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Pastry of the Year posted:

we must liberate Mortimer Ichabod Marker from Cosby's poisoned legacy

Word.

I always wanted to see him draw just a super long line because I was curious about what the tune would be if it played for more than like 3 seconds

Picture pages, picture pages, lots of fun with crayons and with pencils...

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Eh! Frank posted:

On the other hand, writer's block has given us at least three great movies (Barton Fink, Adaptation., and Seven Psychopaths)

Wait what about The Shining?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

oldpainless posted:

Well the Japanese sympathizing with Nazis isn’t exactly without precedent

oof, though true