Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

oldpainless posted:

Sex and the city is one of the worst shows ever made.

more like oldaccurateness

Foxhound posted:

How many times has "rent-controlled" been used as a way to explain deadbeats living in NYC?

Easier to count the ones that it wasn't, probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

My understanding of the situation (from watching a bunch of Law & Order) is that rent control would stay if you were related to the person who originally lived there when the price was fixed. So you can't just move in to a rent controlled apartment, you have to have some kind of "in."

OTOH, on Friends I seem to recall Monica and Rachael having to be shady about something to do with their apartment since it was Monica's grandmother's?

e: maybe it wasn't her actual grandmother and that was what they were being shady about?

ReidRansom has a new favorite as of 23:32 on Aug 15, 2017

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

The first Die Hard was originally a sequel to The Detective, a Frank Sinatra movie.

Heh.... I had no idea

quote:

It is based on Roderick Thorp's 1979 novel Nothing Lasts Forever, the sequel to 1966's The Detective, which was adapted into a 1968 film of the same name that starred Frank Sinatra. Fox was therefore contractually obligated to offer Sinatra the lead role in Die Hard, but he turned it down. The studio then pitched the film to Arnold Schwarzenegger as a sequel to his 1985 action film Commando; he turned it down, as well, and the studio finally and reluctantly gave it to Willis, then known primarily as a comedic television actor.

Bolded part hilarious. Obviously he would turn it down as he was into his 70s at that point and was almost entirely retired from any serious work, and he almost certainly knew the offer was just a contractual obligation made with the understanding he would pass, but alternate reality Die Hard: elderly Frank Sinatra version is funny to think about. But of course if for some dumb reason he actually had accepted, it just wouldn't have been made. For ~reasons~. Also funny that it could have ended up as Commando 2. The things you learn.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I've heard a lot of explanations for why shows almost universally become terrible the longer they go on. Another one I've heard is that, in later seasons writers begin to imitate the style of the writers of early seasons to try to be tonally consistent but it ends up being bad because they're writing with a voice that's not their own. Also, I remember someone saying that Season 9 is the absolute lifespan of a TV show. Like, some shows become bad before Season 9 but its almost impossible for shows to be good past it. They were talking about Seinfeld which ended right at Season 9 when they said it.

Always Sunny is still going strong and they're going into 13, I think? Though I'd be lying if I said it wasn't feeling like their peak wasn't well behind them and that they're maybe approaching a point where they need to consider wrapping it up. I wonder though if maybe its lifespan is aided by the shorter seasons it and so many other shows employ these days.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Didn't one of the people leave at the end of last season?

They certainly left it open to the possibility that he might, but I don't think there has been any confirmation that he's definitely leaving the show. I guess FX has ordered two more seasons though, so the show will go on that long, at least, Dennis or no. Probably only just that long, especially if Howerton leaves. Those dudes are in the early 40s now and that's going to start rubbing badly with the premise if they try to push it on too much longer.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Isn't it basically an open secret now that Hollywood is lousy with pervy chickenhawk predators molesting all the young talent and always has been? I get the gist it's basically the price of admission, and it's pretty hosed that everyone seems to ignore it.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I don't want to excuse any Nazis, but I think that's just one of those things you did back then if you were an industrialist of any kind and wanted to still do business. Of course being indifferent to horrible Nazi crimes really isn't much better than being an ideological Nazi, though also that's much easier for us to say 80 years on.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

Probably best to stop right there I think.

Ehh...... but fair point.

I don't want to excuse any Nazis full stop

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

One somewhat amusing factoid that was pointed out to me on another site is that given the size of the cast, one of the most racially diverse sitcoms we've ever had is actually Red Dwarf.

Which made it all the more noticeable when the attempted US version got whitewashed.

And speaking of Red Dwarf and aging poorly, I've been watching the new ones and man do those guys look every bit of 30 years older than when it started.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

JediTalentAgent posted:

USA's Night Flight had a Power Rangers-type redub in the 80s called "Dynaman", which was done to be a more comedic satire/parody.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjHO7iDWZvo
(edit 2: I was watching a different Dynaman clip and noticed members of "Kids in the Hall" listed as writers. Wow, I either never paid attention to that or I completely forgot it.)

I remember that and its awesome Billy Idol soundtrack. I think I had gotten VHS copies from my high school A/V teacher. Young teenage me loved it. Something tells me it probably wouldn't stand up today though.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

e: doh I was beaten last page

Dexie posted:

Super Eyepatch Wolf did a pretty good video on what exactly happened to the Simpsons and why it started going downhill in the first place, and what made it so special to begin with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqFNbCcyFkk

Was going to link this. It's good and everyone should watch it

ReidRansom has a new favorite as of 03:23 on Nov 1, 2017

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Man, I hadn't seen Back to the Future II since probably VHS, but I'm taking the day off sick and watching it now and talk about not aging well. Still entertaining I guess, but for entirely different reasons.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

Is it the fact that 2015 wasn't as cool as expected? Because Blader Runner is going to look pretty sad come 2019 unless Trump kicks dystopia up a notch.

Basically, yeah. Where are my flying cars?! :mad:

Though I guess they knew they were making a crazy version of the future for effect, knowing it would be almost entirely inaccurate. Still amusing though.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I take it you've never had a job that involves frequently traveling for work.

It's not a perk unless you really love waiting around in airports and sitting in hotels in the middle of nowhere eating crappy takeout, all while barely seeing your friends, family, and significant other for weeks and weeks at a time.

I spend 2-3 months away per year, either at sea or working remotely on other projects. It's not for everyone. Much easier these days than it was in the past, though, with (relatively) cheap satellite phone and internet. But I wouldn't do an A/B rotation like some of our people do. That poo poo takes a toll on you.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Kinda hosed up that they discriminate against giraffes and only let 'em see G rated movies

It's a Giraffe, not a PGiraffe. Take it up with the taxonomists.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Looks a bit like David Duchovny

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Choco1980 posted:

Galtar and the Golden Lance maybe?

I used to watch that, but I always forget its name and end up confusing it with Thundarr, which I never watched, having been just a few years before my time.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Absurd Alhazred posted:

One day someone's going to crack down on Hollywood accounting, and the US will suddenly run a surplus.

I remember from somewhere, after looking into it myself, that the only reason they really get away with it still is that they're only screwing the people involved with the film out of money, not the government. The state and feds still get their cut from actual revenue/profit the studio/distributor/whoever make, not the post-fuckery ones they use internally.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The big barrier I have to reading old-timey Science-Fiction is that while a lot of books have a solid concept, they're usually burdened with the author's pet-issues namely coffee, drugs, smoking, and women who don't put out. The modern day equivalent is the gross sexual-stuff Neil Gaiman puts in his short stories at random.

I feel like this sort of thing is going to just get worse and worse as time goes on since so much seems to be published these days even through official channels with little to no editorial control over content, or just shat right out onto the internet with no pretense of it even. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like the role of a good editor should be akin to a music producer, helping you make whatever you've made even better, but I think as often as not that isn't the case.

An example I'd offer if the manga Made in Abyss. Neat idea, solid art, and the whole thing is rendered completely unreadable because of the guy's creepy fetish poo poo he inserts. And like, I don't think there's any good reason to have kept any of that in. None of it appears to be important to the story. A good editor would have told him to gently caress off with all that and we'd all get a nice story out of it. Maybe they toned it down in the anime. I wouldn't know, I walked away and refuse to be associated with it in any form.

ReidRansom has a new favorite as of 20:18 on Jun 11, 2018

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

(Kinnikuman, which I believe was one of the first shonen action manga series ever) that hadn't been very popular at all outside Japan.

Idunno, those little miniature figures were super huge among my age group for a brief period back in the 80s. I think I may even still have a few lurking in a box of old stuff. And also some Battle Beasts.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

My first job was bagging groceries. I would make more in tips than my actual salary. That was nearly 40 years ago.

Bagging groceries is now a lost art form. I use reusable bags when I go grocery shopping and the baggers will cram as much as possible into one bag so that it's near bursting and hand me back the other ones empty. I almost always have to rebag everything.

My favorite is when they cram your insulated bags full of dry goods and then throw all your frozen or refrigerated poo poo in the normal bags. Like, come on. Use a bit of goddamn sense.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

The Harmy despecialized versions are excellent, yeah. Made me realize how cheap looking the first film actually was.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

luxury handset posted:

...archer which also needs to be put down

Yeah these last few seasons have been ... not great. They were already kinda starting to run low on fresh ideas when it was still spy stuff, but the LA thing was only alright, and then Dreamland was just weird and dark and not really particularly funny overall, and the newest one which I've only just got around to watching was better, but not better enough. Cool, so it's Tales of the Gold Monkey (I think they even made that joke?), except Archer, and that could be alright except the overarching plot and short time they have to explore the characters' roles in each new universe kinda takes away from what made Archer so great to begin with. They should wrap it up soon so it can finish in some determined fashion.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

christmas boots posted:

I wonder if the Japanese ever made any westerns. I don't mean in the sense that Yojimbo is a western, but like an honest to goodness actual western with cowboys.

E: Don't say Cowboy Bebop even if it's true.

Tampopo is a western.

But also yeah, they did make a handful of proper cowboy westerns, I'm pretty sure.

e: here's one

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

oldpainless posted:

What I mean is that he is omnipresent

oh poo poo he's right behind m

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I assumed that was for killing herself. This is so much dumber. Maybe what the network did was a mercy.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

And Neil Patrick Harris is pretty good in everything I've seen him do. He looks like he has fun, really enjoys what he does and such.

Though I don't imagine I'll ever watch that sitcom he did. Maybe it was also good, maybe not. I'll never know.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

ulex minor posted:

did torchwood deal with the weird 'i'm using alien pheromones to date rape people' with any gravity or was it just that character wiggling his eyebrows to the camera

I've never watched Torchwood, but The Orville also did this. And the crew also roofies some alien ambassadors with it to make them bang each other to avert a war or something. It was all handled kinda well for how rapey it was.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

oldpainless posted:

Quit TNG and go to dS9, the objectively best Star Trek

More like oldwrongful

The Orville is the best Star Trek.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

loving boomers.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Pick posted:

At some point Q stops judging humanity and starts just being a fanciful little imp

Nah, it was all a test, the whole thing. Did you never see the finale? Or am I remembering that wrong.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

What ever was up with that one old dude who wiped out the entire species who killed his wife and so he made another of her and just set up on that otherwise barren planet being old and living with his lady? Cus that dude was also basically an omnipotent being, yeah?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

But chillax enough that the Q aren't threatened by him and just leave him there, I guess? I was curious if he was retconned as a Q or something, but looks like no.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Toshimo posted:

Remember that arranged marriage is still very common there.

It exists, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's common. Though also marriage generally seems to be on the decline there.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

oldpainless posted:

As soon as Jonah hill wasn’t fat he instantly became unlikeable and unfunny.

Maniac was good tho.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

hyperhazard posted:

Speaking of idealized millennial lives in the 00s, I listened to the Avenue Q soundtrack recently, and oof. Everyone's A Little Bit Racist is terribly, hilarious out of touch.

Considering it came out in NYC during stop and frisk, it might as well be called White Privilege the Musical.

e: since I realize not everyone's a musical nerd:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RovF1zsDoeM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9n_UPyVR5s

ReidRansom has a new favorite as of 15:11 on Jun 19, 2020

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I've been there! There's not much to it.

We also have a city of Townsville. It's a shithole.

I've been. Basically completely unmemorable aside from a pleasant trip out to Maggie where we got slightly daydrunk and blasted around the island on rental scooters.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Mythbusters, but Al was Jamie and Tim was Adam Savage.

Savage is extremely competent though?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

There's a front page?!?!

懐かしい・・・

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

My wife stayed on where she did her residency. But it's veterinary medicine, so like, maybe not 1:1.