Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, some of them were just the comedians doing their bits but I think much of it was improvised. I thought it was cool too how they never really touched on where Ben's mother was. Divorce? Death? I don't they ever explained it.

Carrie Fisher plays the mom/ex-wife in a Thanksgiving episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Jason Sextro posted:

I've heard they're cute and cuddly, easy dogs to feed.

I'd give them a chance.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

hey everyone gets bored eventually

(I assume this is not the real reason)

You're more generous than I am because I assumed that was 1000% the real reason.

How about a lawyer show where the devil tries to get everyone the death penalty so he can rack up more souls?

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

But if the Devil gets the killers released, he'll get even more souls.

I assumed a network procedural wouldn't really truck with an "everyone is damned" premise and assume only criminals go to hell, but I like the way you think.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Teen Titans also aired on WB Kids but I don't know if it was actually one of them but it was drat good

(the original 2003-2006 one, I don't have an opinion about the new one because I don't really watch TV anymore but I know it's polarizing to idiots)

The new one is a basically fine show for children.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Alhazred posted:

The war is going pretty bad in the movie though. The troopers are slaughtered when they arrive on the bugs' homeplanet and then lose so many battles that they're forced to retreat to the planet's moons where they keep on getting overrun.

If you look at it as a whole piece though those could be some of the parts that went so bad they can't gloss over them. The rosy propaganda ending is when they say "oh but now we caught their boss and we're totally gonna start killing them starting NOW so join NOW."

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Hospitals want to make money more than they want to promote health

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Kenny Omega could put on a convincing match with a hologram

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Apparently they're children he failed to save from his home town and he keeps them around as a reminder.

In context, dude's basically a superhero.

That’s still loving weird and also sounds really similar to the “she’s really 3000 years old” school of “well,actually” character design

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

B-Rock452 posted:

Her response to actual nazis holding rallies with torches and violence against peaceful counterprotestors was also not great...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVvpXZxXWZU if anyone wants to suffer through it

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

tactlessbastard posted:

My girls love Sophia the First and every single episode is bad because she doesn't spend all her efforts sending her family to the guillotine :black101:

She’s originally from the village so she’s a class traitor too.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Video Graves posted:

I sometimes feel this way, and the best thing I did (and still do) is to post about what I like without fear. Own those things you like and never feel ashamed for enjoying them! :D

I like this post

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

Jesus Christ I forgot that Cheers had a spinoff called "The Tortellis", lol. It was a as lovely as it sounds. When you take these characters out of their element and force them into holding up a whole show it just doesn't work.

"Spin Off Syndrome" happens when you take a supporting character who's best used in small doses and try to build an entire show based on one quirky character trait or a stupid catch phrase. Like, if Seinfeld existed int the 70's, they'd have tried to make "Here's Kramer" or "The Costanzas" into a sitcom.

Actually, I might watch "The Costanzas". Does Jason Alexander need work?

The Costanzas could have worked since even George would be a straight man compared to his parents.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

If you want to introduce the show to someone definitely skip the pilot and consider just starting with Ghosts of the Sargasso anyway. Then have them go back to the beginning with a warning or something.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Brooklyn 99 is a terrible background show because of how wild the opening theme stinger is

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

oh dope posted:

Am I wrong thinking that season 2 of True Detective is a complete mess?

The first season was loving great. I thought Matthew McConaughey did an incredible acting job. I'm only one episode in for season 3 so we'll see, but man, that middle season just seemed to be all over the place.

The initial reaction to s2 was almost universally negative to my recollection.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

pentyne posted:

You mean Mark Brendanaquits.

I read somewhere that he asked to be written out because he didn’t think his character added anything to the show. Insightful if true

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

oldpainless posted:

Someone hasn’t worked in a college library

I work in a college library and the only people who have themselves convinced that librarians party are... librarians

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

InediblePenguin posted:

just like the Omegaverse and with even more animal sex

Challenge accepted

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

Oh, baby, Oh baby, Oh baby

Rocko?!

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Push El Burrito posted:

Supernatural rules, it has so many hunks. If you're watching a show for the hunks it's probably the #1 show for you.

Seasons 1-5 of Supernatural are legitimately awesome and overall I enjoy the whole show despite some iffy bits.

However if you want a Show of Hunks you need to check out Riverdale. It’s also just pretty good if you like earnest schlock.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Jerry should have let him die on the Whirly Durly then just have a new Rick show up at the end of the episode with no explanation.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

The Office is leaving Netflix so I'm watching it over the holidays. I never really saw more than up to season 4 when it first came out, and wow, when Holly comes back to the office it just loving sucks. Just bending over backwards to somehow make Michael happy. He always has had some magical field that makes people seem to like him despite himself, but the way he just ridiculously harasses her and not only does she seem to like it, the show does. In the past his harassment was at least played as a bad thing, but this is just frustrating and maddening for some reason.

Ah well it's OK because she also did a Yoda voice once

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

pentyne posted:

People loving loved watching her mock and debase the people on that show when it aired. It wasnt sold as pithy or light hearted it was sold as idiots making mistakes and getting torn apart for it.

There's probably like 6 levels of decision makers above her that explicitly supported and encouraged what she was doing or it would've never made it to air, so giving her poo poo for it isn't really fair.

Frankie Boyle had a similar dynamic on Mock the Week. He said some extremely off color stuff, and was the target of many of the complaints, but tons of people at the network, form censors, lawyers, producers, execs on up were all fine with airing what he said for the purposes of making money. It's hard to really to place sole blame on the person who was hired and encouraged to be "outrageous" by the people signing their paychecks.

It's plenty fair to give her poo poo for it. It's just maybe not comprehensive to give ONLY her poo poo for it.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

If it wasn’t named Robocop no one would have watched it but the few who did would have liked it better.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Goddamn just take a knee on this one already

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah but this left “discussion” behind a page or two ago and is just a “gently caress you!” “No, gently caress YOU!” bit at this point.

Okay, dude

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

The Horsedick.mpeg joke has probably aged pretty poorly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

On The Voice they announce the winner with literally like 3 seconds of airtime left.