Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

s1 and s2 Veronica Mars is really good stuff imho. Season 3 sucked for the most part. Such is life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Season 3 of Veronica Mars also had a Stanford Prison Experiment episode where college kids torture each other. :psyduck:

I think they must have been flailing in ratings and tried to be really edgy in season three. It feels a lot different than the previous two.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Foxhound posted:

Something I've been curious about Re: X-files was how it affected the "Men in Black"/government/Area 51 conspiracy theories subculture. I'm assuming X-files didn't start the whole craziness (I'm guessing that was Roswell), but did it fuel it or was it dismissed completely by the nutjobs?

I think a lot of conspiracy theory lovers really liked X-Files because it was the first mainstream + popular show to explore some of those ideas that might have only been explored on dark usenet groups.

Also it was a drat good show, and probably turned a lot of people onto conspiracies and weird stuff. I'll go with "what is fueling it" for $200

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

funmanguy posted:

This is something that appears far too often in media of the time. Really uncomfortable to go back and watch. Who the way you phrased it makes me wonder, how often do you rewatch all of friends?

My ex-girlfriend would run through the entire series and a few weeks later would start over again.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Pick posted:

Nine loving seasons is too many seasons of anything. I don't know anything that stayed good past six.

Simpsons did it

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Guy Mann posted:

A lot of The Shield has aged pretty poorly because it tried so hard to show that this ain't your daddy's basic cable cop show in a way that looks hilarious to modern eyes, but nothing tops the end of the first episode: there's a huge dramatic moment that more or less the entire rest of the series hinges on and the entire scene is set to a loving Kid Rock song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUMedltaieg

This is not edited in any way.

I just saw The Shield for the first time this summer and I thought it was really effective, but yeah you have to take the time period into context. A time period where Kid Rock’s “Devil Without A Cause” album won a Grammy

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

Nah, Kid Rock was only nominated.

Ohh yeah, somehow I had it lodged in my brain that he'd actually won, but still, what a different time.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

JediTalentAgent posted:

I always/only know that parody from the further parody of AMVHells

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts2Lc_nsXsU

What the gently caress is this?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Inescapable Duck posted:

Superman needs to come back from the dead with a mullet.

lol I remember this in the Superman comics. They unceremoniously chopped off his mullet after a bit

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The Missing Link posted:

What's with the shot about Jolly Ranchers at 3:12? I don't get that one.

I think it's a play on words saying he likes ranch owners who are "happy"

wow, that doesn't age well lol

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Did you, uh, watch the first season of the Simpsons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYglvcLwkK4

I've been watching the first season of The Simpsons lately because it's probably my least-watched season of that show, and it's surprisingly a lot funnier and more interesting than I remembered.

I had also forgotten about the full intro with Lisa riding with her bike with her saxophone tied down and Bart stealing a bus stop sign. It's sort of trippy to see the one-off characters since the entire Springfield "cast" that's so familiar to us now hadn't been created yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR8WWFzrZAg

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Ender's Game predicted internet and tablets pretty well

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

BioEnchanted posted:

I liked that in Season 2 Walter's Laundered Money explanation to his wife became literally a Fairly OddParents joke with the crowdfunding scam. "Where'd you get millions of pounds Walter?" "uuuuhhhh... Internet?"

What?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I was watching the Season 6 Christmas episode of The Office, and Michael demeaningly refers to Phyllis-dressed-as-Santa as "Tranny Clause"

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

If this was made today, Michael Scott would still say that.

He's dumb.

Yeah, maybe. But it was said with a lot of malice and anger. Not in a Michael-is-a-goofy-socially-unaware-dork way

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

Because he was mad at Phylis for being Santa. Because he's kind of a man child who pouts and insults everyone if he doesn't get his way.

It wasn't "trans people are gross" it was gently caress you for doing what I wanted to do.

Whatever, it still hasn't aged well

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Volcott posted:

How do you get a baby to be quiet without smothering it, presumably because there are Charlies in the trees?

Asking for a friend.

sedative maybe?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Tumble posted:

lol The Simpsons were probably like $2.5bil worth of the stock Disney paid to acquire 21CF so i am willing to wager it gets an overhaul rather than a cancellation.

Honestly gutting it and reworking it can't do any more damage than letting it stagnate... right?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Thranguy posted:

The Simpsons will be where computers start replacing voice actors.

Then animators.

Then screenwriters.
I'm sold

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

BioEnchanted posted:

Something I appreciate in Demolition Man after all the other 90s movies/tv shows/games terrible assumptions of "manhood", is that Stallone is never feminized just because he's a competent seamstress now. He never alters his behaviour and no one assumes that he's more femme than he is because he can knit - it's just a thing that he can do, while doing all the other stereotypically macho things he does like hunting Phoenix he also finds time to knit. Most other things then and even now use those behaviours as something to mock in a man, like Rajj in Big Bang Theory was often considered effeminate just because of his hobbies. Demolition Man was ahead of it's time.

The closest thing is when Stallone first finds out about it (and to be fair his "I'M A SEAMSTRESS?!" is a hilarious line read :3:), but the connotation of his reaction is less "Eww gay" and more "Simon Phoenix is a supersoldier and they made me a seamstress? Seriously..." It's just another thing weighting the odds against him.

this is a cool take and made me think a little bit and adds evidence to the pile that Demolition Man's a drat good movie.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I've been watching The Norm Show and there are some good jokes, and I don't think it's terrible, but there's a shitton of gay panic

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

I read somewhere that the X-Files was shot on film but transferred to video for broadcast. Which meant they had to redo most of the CGI when they remastered it for Blu-Ray because those shots were all done after the transfer and they were of course using the original films as a base.

This might be complete bullshit but it also might be the truth and any info to to contrary is part of the conspiracy.

Yes and the same was true re: the effects for Star Trek: TNG too I believe.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

Adolescent me heavily disagreed re: Kirsten Dunst in Spider-Man.

A few pages ago people talked about how bad the Simpsons 90s flashback episode was, but honestly one of the more baffling choices comes from the actual era: in the Lollapalooza episode, the festival features Smashing Pumpkins, Sonic Youth and Cypress Hill, which is spot on. But the headliner is...Peter Frampton, one of the most uncool boomer rockers ever.

(I am aware that Sonic Youth are technically baby boomers, but they're icons of Gen X music).

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Volcott posted:

What was that movie where a cheerleader got pregnant so THE SQUAD started knocking over banks to pay for formula and whatnot?

Sugar & Spice (2001) the boxart is almost identical

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Jedit posted:

Why? On all counts, why?

Mr.Tophat posted:

Do you live on an arctic base? If so, heads up, let the Norweeg shoot the dog.

i think they're making a joke about reruns

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

oldpainless posted:

Sayid from lost was a great Israeli character

He was also a torturer

He was Iraqi

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

A character whose name means "Descendant of Mohammed" isn't Israeli?
He's Iraqi, actually

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Ariong posted:

This reminds me of a clip that I can't seem to find. There was an episode of King of Queens where a few scenes take place at a house party where there are lots of people (haven't watched, don't know the context) and one of them is Patton Oswalt's character. He doesn't do anything. I mean this both in the sense that he is a background character in the scenes, and also in the sense that he stands perfectly still in the exact same spot the whole time. No attention is brought to it, nobody ever reacts. I wish more shows would throw in something like that from time to time. Does anyone have the clip?

He's a stone-cold killer. What did you expect? Normal behavior?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

If you watch the first three seasons after the Netflix season it all makes sense. George Michael punching him is really based on years of putting up with his poo poo, not just a season's worth of it. He's every bit as self centered as his siblings and parents, just with more of his wits about him.

With the added bonus of him looking down his nose at the rest of his family despite not being much better. I liked that his family calls him on this numerous times, and heck, they were right.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Banker_(The_Office)

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

Did they ever explain why the Scranton office was the most profitable?

I know one character went to work in a different city, but I can't recall if other locations were more or less dysfunctional.

I think they kept subtly implying throughout the show that Kevin was loving up the numbers in their favor lol. At least that's what my head canon says

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Can't believe people are making GBS threads on Tom, April, and Andy when there's that season towards the end where that guy who yells every time he speaks joins the Parks and Rec crew. Don't even remember his name. He yelled so much that they actively toned down his yelling later on.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The Bloop posted:

I agree with everything you said.

I've been thinking about how Family Guy was almost certainly conceived as an homage to All in the Family with Peter being a loveable jerk, Lois having a noticably funny accent and going "Peetah!" the way Edith would yell "Ooh, Aachee" and Brian being the live-in liberal who points out Peter's gently caress ups and faux pas while being a bit arrogant and non introspective about his own biases.

It's not a perfect match, but it's there, right down to the piano intro.

This may be absurdly obvious or already officially confirmed or debunked, I've never read anything about it.

Not sure about that, but I'm pretty sure that Cartman on South Park came out of Parker and Stone's desire to see another Archie Bunker onscreen. Just a hateful bigot. Because you didn't really see that anymore at the time.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

It's hilarious how much Robert Beltran hated being on Trek. I remember him demanding an absurd amount of money to stay on the show and they gave it to him lol. He was cursed to stiffly roam the decks of Voyager

Poor son of a bitch

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yeah and ghostbusters 2 had the river of cum that filled up the statue of liberty

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

the joke is that ebert had his jaw removed because of cancer! LOL !

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

MartianAgitator posted:

He was the Neil DeGrasse Tyson of movies of his time.

Hmm.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

Nobody in America cares about Europe.

esp. not antiquated terms like "west" that haven't actually, truly meant "west" in hundreds of years

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

nonathlon posted:

I rewatched it recently, and there's already a few details that look weird:

* The mobile phones are so old and clunky
* The adults descending into a panic when they think Walt Jr might be smoking pot

* Meth being the ruling drug of choice instead of opiates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Sheriff posted:

Breaking Bad is definitely starting to show its signs of not aging well. For a critically-acclaimed, prestige show that is often listed as one of the best of all times, it’s hard not to notice that it’s also a total sausage-fest, and the few women that are present basically only exist to make the lives of the men in the show more complicated. They eventually figure out some use out of Skylar, but the first 2 seasons she’s just giving out lovely birthday handjobs and making angry faces at Walt. Marie has her bizarre kleptomaniac subplot that really only serves to give Hank something to do. Jane is there to be alluring and die for Jesse to deal with.

Those are some pretty shallow readings of those female characters. I think there's a bit more to each of them than that