Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

That episode was dated from the second it premiered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Early Simpsons wasn't faultless, and they had lots of casual trans jokes such as Otto thinking Patty used to be a man, but for the late 80s/early 90s they were progressive. Matt Groening would add notes to avoid having karaoke bars be racist:
https://mobile.twitter.com/bobservo/status/758442670427557889?lang=en

A lot? I can only think of the joke you mentioned, and the one about how Homer's cousin Frank joined a cult, had gender reassignment surgery, & is now known as "Mother Shabubu".

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Wheat Loaf posted:

One of the Comedy Central episodes of Futurama (the iPhone / Twitter parody one) has a subplot where Leela has an intelligent boil called Susan who sings show tunes with her. It's odd how that dates the episode more than any of the social media stuff.

That episode was loving horrible -- not just unfunny, but absurdly mean-spirited -- and I don't understand how anyone could possibly root for Fry/Leela after seeing how he treated her in it.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Besesoth posted:

Yeah, Fry was pretty reprehensible in that episode and it's a little weird that they never touched on "how can Leela ever trust him again?" or "is Leela going to wince every time she hears laughter for the next few years?".

Not only that, but the episode ends with HER apologizing to HIM for...what? I don't even remember, I must have blocked it out. Unbelievable. Then he hugs her with his goat vomit-y clothes.

quote:

On the other hand, it gave us

I actually thought that meme was from the episode where everyone gets $300 from the government and then Fry ends up saving everyone from a fire in a coffee-fueled hummingbird-speed frenzy.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
This thread is really fascinating and I like it. I like the obsolete technology thread too -- it's just neat to see how we used to do things, even if how we used to do things was terrible and off-putting.

The episode of The Cleveland Show where Rallo and Junior take a video of Cleveland that they edit into a song & upload to YouTube is probably the most topical episode of any show I've ever seen. It was meant to parody the whole Songify The News bit, which started in 2009 (apparently they're still doing it but still). The episode aired in 2012.

edit: and that's not even getting into how the show treated trans people

YeahTubaMike has a new favorite as of 16:58 on Aug 11, 2017

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Lyrai posted:

I like Family Guy in the point of view that it's being intentionally written more recently as everyone on screen, with maybe the sole exception of Ida, is an entirely terrible person.

Jillian was nice and somewhat of a tragic figure (eating disorder, dead parents, etc.). Carol was also nice, albeit crazy and codependent, and it still kind of weirds me out that she married her niece's former hookup and no one ever said anything about it.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

If nothing else, Family Guy has some pretty good one-off gags. The Scrooge McDuck "it's a solid mass!" joke is still funny.

"Amelia Earhart flew a lot of airplanes, except for that one time when she didn't come back" and the whole Kentucky Fried Chicken bit still crack me up.

Straight White Shark posted:

I rewatched Daria a while back and actually I enjoyed it more than I did the first time around, for completely different reasons. Yeah, Daria's an insufferable little spoiled poo poo, but that's the point. Most of the time it's about her gradually growing up and getting over herself.

Some episodes have aged better than others, to be sure. Some episodes (particularly the wacky ones) kind of forget the point and just turn into 22 minutes of Daria smugly riffing without any sort of irony or comeuppance.

I'm still (latently, I promise) mad that they had the whole Daria/Tom/Jane drama. It was so unnecessary.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Aesop Poprock posted:

Speaking of: more about a movie/stage show that didn't age well (if it was even decent to begin with) but here's a really good look back at Rent's two incarnations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0qfFbtIj5w

I saw Rent in 2003 on a field trip and I literally couldn't even believe how horrible the songs were. 525,000 Minutes is the least awful one. Light My Candle and La Vie Boheme made me envy the deaf.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

eating only apples posted:

Rocket Romano, who got his arm chopped off by a helicopter, and then next season was killed... by a helicopter falling off the roof and splattering him.

The episode where he dies really hosed me up.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Eclipse12 posted:

Finding out that the theme song for M*A*S*H* had lyrics, and then listening to those lyrics...

:suicide:

A 14-year old wrote the lyrics in five minutes. Apparently no one was even slightly concerned about him, lol.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Gaunab posted:

I could crosspost this in the irritating movie moments thread but Knocked Up has not aged well.

Knocked Up has always been a horrible movie, and it was awful enough to have been responsible for my first feminist inklings.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Kitty Forman was great, and also my favorite episode is the one where Eric walks in on her & Red getting it on, though I will say that the song "Tell Me Something Good" has been completely ruined for me ever since.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Milo and POTUS posted:

Trans fats episodes

The episode of American Dad where Stan uses Steve to traffic trans fat is still hilarious.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

mostlygray posted:

ThunderCats

It was my favorite show as a kid. I watched every episode when I was in 3rd and 4th grade. It was the epitome of television. I worshiped it.

Then, when I was in college, they started playing re-runs on cable. Apparently I blocked out how terrible it was. Ro Bear Berbils, Berbil berries, Snarf. All of those were not in my memory.

I mean, I named my cat Panthro. Thundercats & Voltron were my whole world when they aired on Toonami in the mid-'90s. I have not seen an episode since 1996 and I don't want to ruin it for myself by rewatching anything now. Admittedly though, Snarf annoyed me even when I was a little kid.

sweeperbravo posted:

This happened to me with the animated Beetlejuice series. I used to come home from Kindergarten and after Gargoyles wrapped up, Beetlejuice would come on. I loving loved it. I was in love with Beetlejuice, I wanted to be Beetlejuice and/or Lydia at any given time. I guess the show lineup changed because at some point I just must have abruptly stopped watching it.

In college I randomly looked up an episode on youtube. Holy poo poo it was so bad. Just like that lame, slow humor that probably a lot of shows from that era aimed at young kids had. I mean I love corny jokes but the pacing was just an enormous drag. 5 year old me had really low standards.

gently caress, I looooooved the Beetlejuice cartoon, and also the Little Shop Of Horrors cartoon. I don't even know how I remember them, since according to Wikipedia they both went off the air when I was 4 years old. Again, I haven't seen either of them since, and I don't even want to know.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Am I the only one who thought the John Lithgow character was boring and silly? Granted, I wasn't a regular Dexter-watcher before his arc, but still.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Iron Crowned posted:

Ugh, I never liked Spongebob, and it would always weird me out when I was 19 or so and people my age were very much into Spongebob. It especially pisses me off, because Nickelodeon would claim that they capped their series at 3 seasons when they cancelled Pete and Pete.

I started watching Spongebob on September 11, 2001, because when I came home from school (I was 14), literally every channel except Nickelodeon was showing non-stop 9/11 coverage and I wanted a break. I was hooked from there.

Its appeal is clearly NOT universal though, so I never judged anyone for not liking it because that would be weird.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
What the actual hell happened in that clip? And how was the flight attendant "crazy"?

Also, that clip just made me realize I've never seen an Aaron Sorkin thing.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Baron von Eevl posted:

This is the first I've seen it and the "sir, I just wanted you and your crew to know..." was literally jaw dropping.

I thought that part was supposed to be like "LOL afraid of big Black guy :haw:" until he started talking.

Also, what were the uniform shots all about? Another (apparently) incorrect thought I had: the extreme multi-shot detail of the inspection was meant to reveal that the uniform was actually counterfeit and the captain was the terrorist all along, and his vague solemn apprehension was meant to reflect fear, that he was supposed to keep his mouth shut about the captain being a terrorist or else he would be killed.

Again though, that is literally the first & only Sorkin anything I ever saw, a three-minute YouTube clip, so I don't know how much/little I'm supposed to read into anything he does.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I saw Shrek when I was 15, and it was the first movie that made me think that I might be getting too old for children's movies.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

Don't Shoot Me Santa by the Killers is the best Christmas song of the modern era.

My fave is the No Doubt version of Oi to the World (the original is by the Vandals, not as fun imho)

Baron von Eevl posted:

Little Drummer Boy is absolutely the worst one though, like can we all agree on that? It's basically the theme song to Luanne's Manger Babies puppet show from King of the Hill.

I can't think of a non-modern song shittier than Little Drummer Boy, so you might be onto something there.

If we're including modern Christmas songs though, gently caress Christmas Wrapping a thousand times with the devil's pitchfork.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Flyinglemur posted:

Rob Riggle is a former Marine so his Chud Turn didn't come as much of a surprise.

I didn't realize it was a turn; I thought he was always a chud the whole time he was famous. This is like when Angela Lansbury died after I thought she'd been dead for several years. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

He's a comedian who has a ton of background/one scene roles in comedies. Usually as a needlessly violent/stupid cop.

The only role I can remember seeing him in was the skipper of the booze cruise who has sex with Meredith on The Office.