Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Don Gato posted:

Forged in Fire is one of my guilty pleasures because I like looking at pretty blades :shobon:.

I also think ancient aliens is one of the funniest shows ever made, and I've used that, alien conspiracy shows and general conspiracy shows to make a crazy modern day RPG once.

It's me, I'm the problem :negative:

Congrats you reinvented Dark Conspiracy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Krispy Wafer posted:

Now I wish we had a James Cameron MCU movie, but with Linda Hamilton as Black Widow and a still living Bill Paxton as Bruce Banner.

Now I wish we had a still living Bill Paxton.

But Bill Paxton is already in the MCU! (And I thought Linda Hamilton but I confused her in Chuck with Lucy Lawless in Agents of SHIELD.)

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Spalec posted:

Not to say that BBT doesn't sweeten/enhance/prompt the laughter but removing it and leaving the silences in there is a really terrible 'proof'. If you did that to the funniest stand up comedian in the world it'd make a lot of the jokes seem really flat and weird.

BBT is bad though, although I don't understand the hate for it. If it's bad, just don't watch it?

Are standup studio albums no longer a thing? The beat Carlin was recorded without an audience.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Leavemywife posted:

Not TV, exactly, but in some of his specials, George Carlin is very much "old man yells at cloud". I still think he's very funny, but the stuff just before his death feels has a very bitter and angry feeling to it. There's still some good stuff in there, but not enough of it.

It's not politics, but there's a stark turn when his wife dies. I wish he'd retired instead of producing more because the quality and tone had such a huge drat shift.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I stopped reading him as soon as he announced his illness. So now as bad as any day gets, I still know there’s unread Terry Prachett books waiting for me.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

I'd like to see a Six Million Dollar man comedy where the joke is that six millions dollars is chump change now and none of his upgrades work worth a poo poo but he's still a secret government agent with old, lovely parts. Seems like a Ben Stiller or Wil Farrell thing could work. Six Million Dollar man actually holds up pretty well and is great fun, sort of like Incredible Hulk.

There was an SNL routine like that called the six million peso man. About a cyborg Mexican migrant worker. I also had a friend just win a 48 hour film festival about the literal six million dollar inflation scenario.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

He’s a deranged boomer who keeps getting lucky and thinks his case is representative. I assume he’s meant to be a cruel satire of white boomers, except the movie humanizes and celebrates him.

Tell us about 'Being There' next...

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Baldwin wrote an essay accusing Sesame Street of leftist brainwashing because of a segment that showed different children all over the world getting out of bed and getting ready for school, showing that they all had things in common like families that love them and communities that care about them. He felt its purpose was to diminish the glory of America by making American children believe that French and Egyptian children are human just like them instead of inferior to them.

He’s a megafuck.

Had to find it, it's short and makes even less sense than this summary https://www.breitbart.com/entertainment/2009/11/03/sesame-street-all-monsters-are-equal/ Warning: link to breitbart.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Brother Entropy posted:

what does any of this have to do with jk rowling who is both still alive and still saying dumbass stuff worth criticizing

What does this have to do with TV episodes that didn’t age well.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Samuringa posted:

That's a lot of shows. I don't remember which one I was talking about recently but someone told me "it gets better around the 3rd season". That's around 50 one-hour-long episodes, I don't care how good it gets, it isn't worth it.

I remember Archer having a pretty complex around 3 years ago? But I don't recall it ever being solved.

Goon created arg for Archer too as i recall.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Jedit posted:

It wasn't, it was a poster on the Robert Jordan newsgroup. I'm still in touch with a fair number of them, I may see if I can find out who it was.

Yes but there was an online quiz after wise man fear that listed two choices of sex move or martial arts move using examples from the book.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

pentyne posted:

It was a travesty because Enver Gjoklaj was fantastic and was barely used.

Man I forgot about him, just checked and he was in Agent Carter and I didn't realize it till just now...

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Alaois posted:

before, and starred a different actress as buffy.

And an awesome Paul Ruben vampire that let him be in my favorite scene of all time in the What We Do In the Shadows TV Series... Check it!

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I put R&S in the same bucket as Highlander the movie. Things that should never be seen again so they can be remembered with the Rose colored glasses of being a teenager and thinking it’s great. I realize both are objectively poo poo but at the time I liked them that I want to remember my 15 year old selfs enjoyment of it and not my 40 year old self disappointment in what absolute poo poo it is.

That said I too still hum some of their jingles and have confused my wife many times and it’s. You covet my X. I’ve had it since I was a child!

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

White power panther?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Except Robin Williams. He was going to be on a TNG episode but a movie he was making had to do reshoots and he couldn't do it, and was replaced by Matt Frewer.

I love me some Matthew Frewer but that episode was in retrospect made for Robin Williams

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Holy crap Lenny loving Briscoe is Lumiere? :psyduck:

And Jessica Fletcher is Mrs Potts... but really L&O being filmed in NY had a big broadway crossover. Orboch has a tony and 2 more nominations. jesse lamont martin has 4 tonys etc...

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

food court bailiff posted:

Or a way to ensure there's not a continual three-hour wait to transport somewhere. There's a ton of valid reasons transporter credits could be a thing that exist.

Why should transporter rooms be scarce?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

TheKennedys posted:

Karen Gillan had a bit part in an episode early on and then was cast as the main companion. Same episode as Capaldi (Pompeii one, S4)

They also throw a hat on it with Capaldi in his first two episodes ranting about why did he choose this face he saw only once, he must be trying to tell himself something.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

evobatman posted:

Season 3 episode 39, Scary Mary's.

https://gazettereview.com/2017/03/marys-outpost-update-happened-bar-rescue/

:wtc:

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Pastry of the Year posted:

I also loved Sledge Hammer!.

gently caress. I thought surely no one would make a Sledge Hammer joke.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That’s hosed up. It’s kind of like what happened when Isaac Hayes quit South Park, but even that was aimed more at Scientology than anything else. And, you know, Hayes was still alive. Doing it because an actor died is insane.

Didn’t sealab 2021 do one of those with the captain before replacing him completely? I thought it was handled well but I was probably drunk when I saw it so what do I know.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

i haven't been able to watch it in a decade and in that time they've produced a total of 7 new episodes. if you define only by production rate, venture brothers is taxologically a BBC Comedy.

Bah. 37 out of 80 in the past 10 years! I had to check because I last saw it about a decade ago and want to catch up and thought "That's not too bad..."

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

docbeard posted:

I don't think I've ever enjoyed a mass media superhero adaptation as much as most of the Arrowverse stuff, particularly Legends of Tomorrow.

So bringing it back to the thread. Would you say then LoT Season 1 didn't age well considering where 2+ went? :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Piss Meridian posted:

it's funny because they didn't need to do that. there's no chance they'd be able to maintain a technological civilization once the spare parts ran out

It wasn't about maintaining it, it was about even the knowledge that such a thing was possible. With the on-boarding factory able to make new space fighters, they could have made a 20th-21st century self-sustaining tech base and from there be back to space faring with new FTL drives inside a generation. Don't get me wrong, it's still a bad ending but that wasn't the reason for it.