Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

OldTennisCourt posted:

That's more CSI. With SVU it's usually some line about how awful the crime is or whatever. Lenny on vanilla Law and Order would make a joke, but SVU usually dealt with rape/child molestation so you'd rarely get a funny quip.

The first season or so of SVU I seem to recall there being a bit more humor to it from just maybe an episode or so featuring a 'goofy' SVU-related crime as an afterthought like, "Oh, a report of a guy streaking through Central Park. He's probably just college frat prank or off his meds..." Then even in the last handful of years you get the dumb poo poo like them commandeering a department store intercom to find an employee who uses the online handle "Master Baiter" like it's a cop comedy from the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

BiggerBoat posted:

The idea of "The Six Million Dollar Man" cracks me up nowadays but basically just because of the price tag. I'm surprised they're never rebooted that show.

Oddly enough, about 10 years ago they DID reboot the Bionic Woman. It wasn't just some cheap SyFy show, either, but a full-on big NBC production. Glancing at Wiki, it seems that the Writers' Guild Strike affected production, but even with that it never really felt like it was catching any steam with the first few episodes. Had it been relaunched about 5 years later during the peak of the modern sci-fi/supehero TV boom it probably would be on season 4-5 by now with Six-Million Dollar Man spinoff of some sort and SOMEHOW Knight Rider would be in the shared universe for reasons.

edit: Wow. A $6M-Man/Knight Rider crossover seems like something IDW should be publishing at this point.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
First run syndicated supernatural was somehow was a thing in the late 80s/early 90s. We had a Werewolf** series, Tales from the Darkside and Monsters (one just replaced the other, right?), a Dracula TV series, Freddy's Nightmares, etc. Was Friday the 13th/Friday's Curse also a First Run Syndicated show?

I actually enjoyed rewatching some old Friday's Curse/13th episodes several years ago late at night when some cable station was randomly reairing them one Summer at like 3AM, and I noticed they've put out a box set of the entire show.

**edit: I guess Werewolf was actually a very early FOX network show and not a first run syndicated one, but Fox's early days were pretty odd with their line-ups and scheduling, weren't they. Limited programming, limited hours of the week, limited days of the week if I recall.

JediTalentAgent has a new favorite as of 02:38 on Aug 7, 2017

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I've mentioned before that any non-scifi/horror show that did a 'scifi/horror' episode always seemed sort of cringey. It's more a comedy thing, though, but there is/was always this 'let's gawk at the freaks' vibe. It seems like any long-running show ends up with one of these plots, eventually. Hell, I think even Dukes of Hazzard had a UFO episode.

Doing a UFO episode? We've got to have the worst examples of people interested in UFOs as the geekiest, most socially awkward, "I was abducted by an alien prince and am royalty on Serengeti IV" sort of thing.
Doing a ghost story episode? We've got to have Ghostbusters callbacks and have people doing seances with goofy psychics and flashing lights in a room spooky noises.

Maybe it turns out to be real, maybe it turns out to be pranks or mistakes, but even if it is 100% 'real'. no one ever references it again. There's no, "Yeah, I know that girl rejecting you to go to the homecoming dance is a big deal, son, but are we seriously not ever going to bring up the fact that we all had a close encounter with an actual alien ever again? I mean, that's sort of a big deal, too." No, "Yeah, hey, I'm still sort of reeling a bit from meeting the actual devil a few weeks ago and one of us nearly losing our eternal souls, so I don't really care so much about if anyone goes to the big NKOTB concert this week or not."

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I sort of think a lot of episodes of shows from the 70s-90s with any sort of LGBT supporting/guest characters or storylines before a certain era will not age well, if they haven't aged well already.

It might be an issue, too, in that there was probably a very small window and maybe limited exposure of being able to present such characters/stories in any regard on TV, too. They went from being seen as once-progressive or boundary-pushing to quickly being seen as dated or offensive at worst by the rapidly-changing social acceptance and awareness of more recent years.

The whole Ellen arc of her character revealing her sexual orientation on her sitcom was nearly 20 years ago and was considered one of the more major moments in TV of its era, but would an audience of teens-20someththings of today understand why watching those episodes now there is such a huge in-universe or studio audience reaction?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I think a comment was made regarding the Dick Van Dyke show that Mary Tyler Moore being shown wearing pants more often than wearing a skirt/dress was sort of seen as a bit daring for that era in media.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
A while back someone commented in regards to watching a movie made in the 90s with something along the lines of, "Remember the 90s when characters in movies and TV shows were supposed to feel guilty and be horrible because they had really good-paying jobs and were able to provide a comfortable living for their family because weren't able to spend more time with their family?"

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Is That 70s Show aging pretty well? Even when it was on, I didn't watch all that much, but its first season is going to be hitting the 20 year mark here in a few years, sort of putting it about nearly the same number of years out from the 1976-1977 timeframe the show started out in. It seems that between the cast, production values and the show concept it seems to be maybe able to stand the test of time a bit better than others.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I always/only know that parody from the further parody of AMVHells

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts2Lc_nsXsU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
On the subject of Capt. Planet, I've said before that a lot of that show would be seen as pretty problematic by today's standards no matter how you cut it. Either in how they present non-US characters/settings, how they try to bring up certain things, etc. even with the best of intentions. I didn't even realize how weird some of them were until about 10 years after they aired and I was watching a few early one morning.

So you get something like the message at the end of the episode is literally this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNrxq9DubQ8
That I'm sure would be super controversial from just about every direction today with that message.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Gum posted:

There's actually pretty decent evidence that the creation of paid online streaming services put a major dent in piracy

Then you also have things like Youtube that probably exists in a gray area. When you're wanting to listen to from any extreme of obscure or popular song, the chances are you can find that someone has uploaded it to Youtube. Heck, there are songs on YT that I can't even find on something like Google Play to actually BUY, and it's all free and easy for the user. Sure, you still get some copyright takeddowns, but it seems like you can post all the 'best of' moments of a film or an entire movie and you don't even need to watch the originals to get on track.

I wonder if Google/Youtube sort of gets away with it a bit more due to their power as Google, overall, to also be used as a media promotional tool by companies and how bad a negative reaction to trying to push something like DMCA might hurt their reps in the long run.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I've watched the first bit of a documentary about British TV called "Who Killed Saturday Night TV?" and so far it's sort of interesting as someone not from the UK about rise and fall of various popular Saturday Night programs.

It sort of reminds me how in the US that Friday and Sunday nights used to be pretty big television nights in the 80s and 90s. Fridays had the mass of sort of family sitcoms for a long time. Sundays would be where I seem to recall a lot of movie of the week would air. Then it seemed like at some point that all just vanished. The ABC TGIF line sort of become irrelevant, the movie of the week went away, etc.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Movies of the week stopped being a thing because of cheap VHS and DVD releases. Even into the 80s VHS tapes were priced for rental stores.

Even with that, though, the movie of the week sometimes felt like they were planned as pilots or something for series that eventually never got made. Or you'd get stuff that was long-cancelled TV shows getting reunion movies like the Incredible Hulk ones, I Spy, The $6B Man/Bionic Woman. I think CHiPs and a Rockford Files got similar treatments on cable in the early 00s.

I guess we're sort of seeing a version of that with things like the X-Files revival miniseries.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

John Murdoch posted:

STAS is why I'm always confused when people complain about how boring and bad Superman is "because he's invincible" or whatever.

There were some folks who did complain about 20 years ago that Superman:TAS featured a 'weakened' version of the character compared to various comic book incarnations. He could get knocked down a bit more, stunned pretty easily, than some people would have liked.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Krispy Wafer posted:

Most dads have nothing in common with their daughter's boyfriends. At least your daughter's 45 year old boyfriend would get your Thundercats references.

"Man, I remember watching Robotech as a kid and loved the---"
"I'm sorry, what did you say?"
"Robotech. I remember--"
*slams down silverware on plate*
"It's called Macross! Get the hell out of my house and stay the hell away from my daughter, you sonuva bitch!"

edit:
Actually, a large section of the late 70s-late 90s era of anime dubs in the US probably didn't age well for a lot of reasons. Whether you want to chalk it up to voice acting issues or just the general localization issues that did any sort of alterations to the original source material, but probably those changes make them unappealing to modern US fandom audiences. Ironically, those changes were likely done to make them more accessible to US audiences at the time of their release in the first place.

JediTalentAgent has a new favorite as of 05:26 on Oct 24, 2017

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Macek seemed to be treated by the fandom pretty poorly in the 90s, but I'm wondering how much of that is the result of a fandom echo chamber and the increasing availability of unedited anime in the form of fansubbers, tape traders and commercial releases during that time. As those sources became more widespread, I can see folks feeling like the Macek-edits were at best foolish and at worst disrespectful to the creators, the audience and the properties.

But I almost think we'll never see another era of the 70s-90s of major changes in plots, character names and even show titles like we did back then for localization purposes.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Not saying I want that to return, either, so my last paragraph was likely a poor choice of words.

Was there ever a similar reaction for the Power Rangers show fandoms over the years? I can see the argument that people who grew attached to the MMPR franchises over the years gradually grew to accept the US Footage/Japanese Footage stuff as charm of the show, but I don't think I've seen the same level of demand for original source material releases like with anime.

Was there some point where they just made the Non-Japanese Power Rangers shows almost wholly new Western productions rather than a mix of Japanese and non-Japanese material?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
People will probably go back a lot to Speed Racer and Gigantor to go back years. During the 70s and 80s, I think there was still a trend to outsource a lot of US animation to Japan at the time, so you might end up with portions of US-Aimed cartoons with Japanese animators who themselves might be putting some anime influences in them. At the very least, people just buying up Japanese cartoons for US video releases and just changing them them to fit with US market and cutting out stuff that didn't work. (My memory's a bit fuzzy on some specific titles or details, though.)

Macek seemed associated with Streamline, though.

There was also AnimEigo, whose frontman was a guy who was fairly popular with fans at the time. (I had to look it up: Robert Woodhead must be the guy as he sounds familiar). They were actually a pretty popular company in the pre-Street Fighter Anime Movie market and had a lot of popular stuff. I think around the mid-90s, though, they lost some fan love due to a plan to start dubbing Urusei Yatsura when they'd been subbing it for years by that point.

Viz, I think, the big name was Trish Ledoux in early 90s or so. US Renditions had ties to Books Nippan in the late 80s/early 90s, but I can recall any big names from there.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I think Ultraman and Johnny Sokko and his Flying Robot HAD to have had a US releases at some point in the 60s-80s. Ultra 7 (?) had airings on TNT in the 90s and recently Comet TV has been airing Giant Robo's, but in both cases the voice acting style on the dubs feel like they have a real 60s/70s feel to them that I think had to be a product of the time and not just an intentional thing of the 90s/today.

USA's Night Flight had a Power Rangers-type redub in the 80s called "Dynaman", which was done to be a more comedic satire/parody.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjHO7iDWZvo
(edit 2: I was watching a different Dynaman clip and noticed members of "Kids in the Hall" listed as writers. Wow, I either never paid attention to that or I completely forgot it.)

Also, about 2 years before the US MMPR launch, an Ultraman series which was a Aus/Japan co-production (I think) was aired for a single season. But I don't think a lot of people consider that a true Ultraman series given the cast and the locale of the source material.

As a speculative thing, I think there was talk that TBS back in it's early days as it was getting ready to become a nationwide channel made a lot of deals for airing rights on various things, which might tie into having something like the the mentioned Ultraman 7 series.

edit: Found it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_Seven#TPS.2FCinar_English_dub
"In 1985, Turner Program Services licensed the series in a 15-year contract from Tsuburaya Productions, who provided the English dubbed versions produced in Honolulu by Tsuburaya-Hawaii, Inc. in the mid-1970s."

JediTalentAgent has a new favorite as of 07:04 on Oct 26, 2017

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
In the 90s I remember an article about how the X-Files was popular in Japan when it started airing on TV there. I don't know how much the conspiracy theme of that show leeched into Japanese entertainment and culture, though.
Here's an article from about 20 years ago on the subject:
http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19960322&slug=2320199

The comment about 90210 in the article reminded me, didn't Cowboy Bebop have a reference to that at one point?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
There are times where I've noticed for a non-Western culture, some Japanese media will be extremely exact and obscure on a piece of Western culture when referencing it.

It reminds me of a pulp SF writer named Cyril Kornbluth who wiki describes in this way:

"Kornbluth, for example, decided to educate himself by reading his way through an entire encyclopedia from A to Z; in the course of this effort, he acquired a great deal of esoteric knowledge that found its way into his stories, in alphabetical order by subject. When Kornbluth wrote a story that mentioned the ballista, an Ancient Roman weapon, Pohl knew that Kornbluth had finished the A's and had started on the B's."

It might be something as simple as the Angel Cop creators doing something similar. They need a conspiracy theory, here's one, write these guys as the bad guys because communists, nazis, the US, USSR, etc. are played out.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I was actually thinking of the movie "Blind Date" where Bruce Willis and Kim Basinger are stalked through the film by her ex-boyfriend/fiancee. About 95% of the time, though, I think he's just coming off as a self-perceived 'nice guy' who insists he's just trying to protect Basinger, while he still comes off like a total creep who can't accept she's through with him. At the same time, it seems like all his actual overt threats, anger and violence are turned exclusively towards Willis.

Been so long since I've seen the film, but rewatching a clip on Youtube, Basinger's character makes a comment along the lines of, "He always following me, I've moved twice to get away from him" and the whole thing is played for laughs. In 2017 I'm sure that it'd be a more questionable to use something like that for a joke.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Tiggum posted:

I always found it pretty weird that the Beetlejuice cartoon existed. And Betelgeuse was a friendly prankster in it. And the Maitlands just weren't in it at all. It's basically got nothing to do with the movie.

Dark Theory Time: The cartoon is set in a reality where Beetlejuice won and messed with Lydia's mind to make her think she was living a perfect life in his world and in hers to keep her in his thrall.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I think someone was saying a while ago that what they saw in a change in South Park was how the kids stopped behaving and thinking like kids for the most part. You could have episodes where they'd have their crazy stuff going on in the world that made no sense, but a lot of their ways of dealing with it and their reactions to it were things that seemed almost child-like because they just didn't have the intelligence or influence to actually do anything else.

I'm not really sure how certain older episodes would be different if they were made today, or if current episodes had been made 15-20 years ago, though, when it came to the characters' ways of handling it.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
There always felt like there was a bit of a raunchy undercurrent with Murphy's family films, though. Maybe it was an attempt to give the grown up audiences something to laugh at that the kids wouldn't get or that kids did get some of the humor from just a few bad words or funny moments.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

What I'd heard (and probably mentioned last page or page before) was that it was massive posters for Norbit all over Hollywood that cost him the Oscar, although it always seemed like a bit of an over-simplification to me.

Isn't Peter Sellers/"Being There" reported as the same thing? People feel that a scene after the main film during the credits cost him the Oscar?

Honestly, though, Eddie Murphy would probably do very well as late night talk show host. It's not even like that's a dumping ground for entertainers at this point given the huge amount of success and Youtube material those shows have become over the last 5 years or so.

But the problem would be finding a channel/show that isn't already flooded with such programming at late night.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
An article I read a while back said the live-action family-friendly comedy genre used to be really big during the 90s and probably into the 00s for a while. I think you had a couple of those Cheaper by the Dozen movies. Bringing Down The House, I think, did pretty well, too.

Pink Panther probably appealed to some of that, too.

The Medea movies seem like the last batch of those sort of things that even get made unless you want a $100M+ CG or action/effects comedy.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I'm surprised Dire Straits' "Money For Nothing" still gets as much airplay considering the gay slur in it.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Along the lines of things that didn't age well from television and music: Are really long videos still a thing even on the near endless airplay of a Youtube video or have audiences more or less given up on wanting the epic mini-movie videos that were so popular in the 90s and early 00s?

But I remember the heyday of them in the 80-90s. The epic Michael Jackson, Spice Girls, Puff Daddy, GnR, Meatloaf, etc. videos that were honest EVENTS with extended pre-middle-post narrative stuff because the song just wasn't enough.

Heck, I recently watched "Wannabe" by the Spice Girls and over 1/4th of 4 minute video doesn't even have the song in it. It's them running around being gleeful.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
But a change in style or singer can change the feel or direction of a song.

Consider a female vocalist covers of "Run For Your Life" which removes a misogynist direction as a result of it being sung by a woman and about a man. It feels more like coming from a narrators who are telling the guy, "You cheat on me, we're over." along the lines of a "These Boots Are Made For Walkin'"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmxZ2jvU4R0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SEz3BsZ2z8

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Choco1980 posted:

One time I was watching an episode and Lamont told his dad he was going out with his friends because there was a new x-rated movie they wanted to catch. Like, man, that must have been so weird to live in the brief window when porn chic was a thing. Like, I'm aware it was, but it's still so strange to see and hear stuff from that time.

I still think we had porn chic in more recent years, but that's probably thanks to the internet. Compared to the 80s and early 90s, there's a different sense of acceptance, or it feels like, at least.

There were those handful of attempts in the 90s to make NC-17 a real legitimate rating for films but almost nothing ever came of it but some fringe movies and a lot of R-rated cuts until eventually the home video market just figured they could get away with Unrated editions.

There was also the late 90s/early 00s where there seemed to be a porn empowerment era. The media was talking about how women were influential in the porn industry as producers and consumers and not just performers, how a handful of performers had their own media empires, and so on.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Rocky Horror, Terminator 2 and 3 and Army of Darkness I thought were all rated R at the time of release, but if they'd been released since at various times in the last 10-15 years or so, they'd likely be considered PG-13 affairs.

At the very least, the studios would have gone in and cut or edit every single bit that gave them the R-rating to bring it down to a PG-13.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I think he was credited with music for an unproduced Batman musical that eventually had some of the songs released to Youtube by other people.

That song makes me think a lot his "Ribbons of Blood"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5NbD5bXyZI

edit: NOt sure if this is a cover of something Steinman did, though. I went to another site with a list of songs that were to be in the production and I don't see it. The YT link lists words/music to someone else, but I was assuming that was covering the performance and not the composer.

Happy Landfill posted:

I think the ending of Cars is really good. Definitely not my favorite Pixar movie though

Pixar, to me at least, has films that I have found I don't really like, but they have GREAT emotional endings and climaxes. The sort of reverse of this is movies of theirs that I find consistently good throughout don't hit those highs.

JediTalentAgent has a new favorite as of 07:07 on Nov 30, 2017

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
The Are You Being Served thing about the pussy talk just made me think of this: I was watching a Christmas episode of Welcome Back, Kotter for a few minutes a couple of days ago and there's an exchange where he and his wife/gf/whatever are exchanging gifts.

He gives her a Christmas Tree, she gives him a Hanukkah Bush.

Wife: "I love your tree."
Kotter: "I love your bush."

No laughtrack, no nothing, it just was said and was they moved right on. I don't even know if it was an intentional innuendo thing that slipped past the censors or if he literally was only referring to the plant, but I just started thinking that in a modern show that would be a showcase joke. We'd have reaction to the comment, audience laughter, etc.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
At least with South Park I can go back to a season and they're a bit like time capsules to what was a relevant topic at that time. SNL just seems like it's even more fleeting than that outside of Weekend Update.

The SNL thing I'm surprised didn't get a movie: The Wiig Cashier Lady. I'm sure they could have spun a 90 minute film out of that if they wanted about how she's been fired or something (or promoted) and she's bringing her same hyper personality to a new job. Call it "SNL Pictures Presents: Checked Out" or something.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Straight White Shark posted:

I still feel this is basically a product of the times (the same stock character pops up elsewhere--see Ray Gillette on Archer, for example) and is going to feel more and more dated as time goes on. I feel it's likely coming from a place of love on Venture Bros. but it's still probably not going to look great in 5 or 10 years.

Sort of on an Archer related note, isn't there a bit in Sealab 2021 where the characters are watching a Will and Grace show and a supposedly gay background character calls everyone out on watching the show, I think saying that in 20 years we'll see the gay characters on that show as the Amos and Andy of our generation?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Inescapable Duck posted:

Like with most stereotypes, history and context matters. Asian accent jokes have a very long and very ugly history dating back to both shameless colonial exploitation of China and anti-Japanese WW2 propaganda which played up all manner of horrific stereotypes and slurs and was very widely disseminated.

Which also means they tend to be outdated and near incomprehensible to people who didn't grow up with such media (since most of it's been withdrawn from common circulation for being so drat racist) and thus age very poorly. Even modern Asian stereotypes are completely different now.

But in this regard, is it a completely Western thing? I used to watch a lot of anime and it seemed like even in the original Japanese audio there was a strange depiction in the designs and even the voice performances of characters that seemed to be Chinese that came across as a bit towards the comical or stereotypical in a way that I couldn't quite put my finger on.

Turns out I might have been detecting this even if I couldn't understand the language TO detect it, perhaps?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyowa-go

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
This wrestling talk reminded me of something I think Spoony was talking about on one of his Wrestle Wrestle vlogs:

Something about a wrestler was backstage in a dressing room seeing a ghost in a mirror talking to them and in character complete buys it and everyone else thought they were crazy and no one believes them.

Meanwhile, I think Spoony comments something along the lines of, "If we the audience are to take this at face value, this wrestling show is confirming ghosts are real and the wrestler ISN'T crazy because we the audience and the cameramen are witnesses to the ghost showing up. Also, all any these wrestlers have to do is watch the episode when it airs and THEY'LL see the ghosts, too."

edit: By that logic, backstage secret dealings that get filmed and shown to the audience but the wrestlers all exist in a world where they never find out about a betrayal or twist until it happens hours/days/weeks later.

JediTalentAgent has a new favorite as of 08:56 on Jan 23, 2018

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Wasn't the actress who did the voice of Chuckie's step-sister blind in real life?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I have been wondering since we started talking about the NC-17 if it wasn't merely a response to the whole X-rating thing but there might have been something more going on with it. Specifically, if the NC-17 gained mainstream acceptance or respectability, would we be seeing more films as NC17 that wouldn't have normally qualified?

Had the NC-17 gotten out the door with more films like Nightmare on Elm Street instead of Showgirls and Crash and some erotic love story movies, would that have been enough to get studios and audiences more on board with it as "Well, this makes sense because someone who's under 17 shouldn't be allowed into as theater to watch a Freddy Krueger movie."

Specifically, America is likely more 'sex conservative' than violence, horror and gore conservative, to the point that the NC-17 was probably viewed more like a strictly 'sex/nudity' rating. If the NC-17 had been more connected to the violence, horror, gore, etc. content instead from the onset, would people/theaters have tolerated it more AND viewed it as a means of reducing youth exposure to that content, as well?

JediTalentAgent has a new favorite as of 09:27 on Jan 27, 2018