Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Krispy Wafer posted:

He was only 77. Frasier premiered 25 years ago.

That old cranky retired cop dad to 40+ year old sons was 52.

Danny Glover was 40 when he made the first lethal weapon playing an old man nearing retirement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Rollersnake posted:

My dad's favorite show is Big Bang and he never misses an opportunity to let me know how I am just like that guy on Big Bang, not the Indian guy—the other one.

In all seriousness, though, the whole reason he started watching the show is because one of the major characters is Indian. I haven't been able to stand watching more than a few minutes of it, so I don't know if he's an offensive stereotype, but a very mild, unenthusiastic congratulations to the show creators if he's not.

It's a Chuck Lorre show, everyone is a stereotype. Like it's every bit as hateful as the "nerd blackface" crowd make it out to be just for entirely different reasons.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Futurama is on syfy now apparently. I caught a couple of episodes while working the nightshift at my job. It was astounding how much faster the jokes came in original series episodes compared to the comedy central series. The writing budget was a small fraction of what it used to be and it really showed.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Yeah I was totally blown away by seventh seal when I saw it too. The ending was amazing.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Sir Lemming posted:

Ironically, one of the only times I can think of where the showrunners actually did have a very specific ending in mind and went through great pains to make sure it happened... it was How I Met Your Mother and 90% of the audience hated it.

What they couldn't have known back when they first planned it was that the will-they-won't-they on which they banked everything would get run into the ground, buried, dug up, and hacked to pieces over the course of the series. Tough break I guess.

I saw one episode of it early on and hated it. Years later I found out it had only just then ended because of the backlash against the show ending in the way that it was very obviously going to end. I'm not sure how people did not see that coming.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

The Bloop posted:

I'd there a doctor in the thread? I burned myself on this take

Man sexually assaults women and harasses minorities while a laugh track plays. Truly ground breaking television. The only time I laughed at MASH was when Alan Alda was trying to be serious.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

There's a website that tracks the restaurants from kitchen nightmares and pretty much the only resounding success was the one where the owner actually went to a business school but lacked real world experience and pretty much only needed to be pointed in the right direction. The episode at the sushi restaurant was interesting because between the show deciding to use the restaurant and them showing up to film they had already decided to shut down the restaurant. The daughter does a really bad job of faking it and is crying the entire time.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Samuringa posted:

Michael Jackson playing Michael Jackson was the best Simpsons guest star :colbert:

Are you referring to his role as Leon Kompowsky?

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

That's literally the exact moment I decided to stop watching the Simpsons.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

The only thing I can really remember about that show is that there was an episode where the Martians were filling up a big rear end jar with human brains.

They should have used a big brain jar IMO

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I haven't read about nxivm in years. I can't believe it took this long for that guy to get arrested. It's why Kristen Kruek disappeared off the face of the Earth too.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Jim Carrey rapes two people for overcharging him for car repairs in the movie version of the mask.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I'm surprised no one has ever done one of those for Albert Brooks. His name actually is Albert Einstein.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Lori Mattox's story does not add up though, she was already famously dating the guy from Led Zeppelin for a year by the time her alleged encounter with Bowie took place. I don't remember where the article came from but the official biographer for Jimmy Page was able to provide enough info that her time line did not make sense.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

mojo1701a posted:

I love God Cop.

God: "I have an idea. Let us pray."
Partner: "To who?!"

This is why I can't bring myself to give the show a chance.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I think the original ending of Roseanne made up for the rest of season 9 being poo poo.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Friday Night Lights was a book based on the true story of the rich white kids tragically failing to defeat the scrappy minority underdog team. All of the people from the white school didn't notice that they were straight up 80s movie villians even while they were trying to get the black team disqualified on a technicality.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

fruit on the bottom posted:

Speaking for myself I’m also hesitant to call out stuff from other cultures just because “oh here’s the American telling the Japanese how to run their poo poo” angle feels a little weird

I get the impression that most of Japan has just as much disdain for the typical anime fan as we do.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I thought for sure they were making fun of Roberto Benini's overly excited Oscar acceptance, but that didn't happen until 3 years later.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I don't get the controversy about that bit though. Like who are these people who are Tina Fey fans but are completely oblivious to selfdepricating humor.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Yeah especially since the current iteration is a boring wasp and a libertarian douche bro.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I love all the super dated ripped from the headline episodes of SVU. They're fun little time capsules to whatever the hell random pop culture stuff they decided to roll up in to a single episode. The best is the one where Paula Deen shoots Trayvon Martin.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Choco1980 posted:

I liked way back in the day towards the end of Vanilla L&O when they ripped the story about an NBA player charging into the stands to attack a heckler that through a drink (not only that, he started beating up the wrong guy) and instead turned it into a murder, but they didn't have the rights to NBA team likeness, so they made up all these team names for the episode.

I caught one at work today that seemed to be based on the accusations against Kobe Bryant but the guy in the episode was clearly modeled after Michael Jordan.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

EmmyOk posted:

This is not the thread to smash the pope to pieces with your strong fists no matter how deserved so please return to light and breezy topics like the rampant transphobia of 90s sitcoms

Casual transphobia is a 2000s thing. You could still make fun of gays back in the 90s.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Nobody gives a poo poo about Seinfeld anymore and he's blaming political correctness for him not doing college shows when college students today weren't alive when Seinfeld went off the air. He's doing a pretty typical audience blaming but he doesn't have the edginess for it to remotely make sense. Also the episode of Seinfeld were he gets a girl drunk to play with her toy collection when she's passed out was one long rape joke and wasn't funny.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Yeah and he only tried to get it taken off his record because being a convicted felon was interfering with his charity work.

I don't have a problem separating the artist from the artwork as long as the art itself doesn't factor in to the terrible things they did. Like Mark walhberg did some lovely things as a teenage gang member but his music career was specifically him trying to escape from that life.

On the other hand you have people like Woody Allen dating an underage girl he cast in a film he made about a different underage girl he dated.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Calaveron posted:

Stranger things Season 2 read like a pretty good fanfic but still a fanfic of season 1
Like it had some good moments like Eleven and the cop's relationship and the Upside Down and more of bat kid (its been a while I forgot names) but it just felt like a retread and the Christmas lights alphabet was way creepier, more effective, and cheaper than the house wide child drawings map which felt overdone
New kid bully guy was awful though

Season 2 absolutely ruined season 1 for me. Season 1 ended with the perfect amount of unanswered questions and still felt like a complete story. I think the worst thing was how it made it look like Eleven vanished without a trace and season 2 starts with her just hiding out in the cops house.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

What is the deal with airline food?

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Rush hour 3 was on TV the other day and I did not know who Roman Polanski was the first time I had seen it. It certainly changed the tone of his character.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Netflix has a separate program of just the good Monty Python bits for a reason.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Honestly I think Belushi's sketches suck and he's pretty highly regarded.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

They tried a whole tv show in the 80s. https://youtu.be/HPk966PuQNE

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Orlando Bloom's role immediately before LOTR was a guy that got stabbed with a pitchfork for bring a douchebag.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Besesoth posted:

:tvtropes: has a huge list of these. They're weirdly common.

Did they quarantine off the anime from the actual tv shows? I might start reading it every once in a while again. Although it's weird that a site dedicated to obsessively cataloging tv shows isn't using the existing industry jargon backdoor pilot.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I don't really know anyone who gives a poo poo about the old doctor who and I hang out with nerds all day.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I think what it was was the idea of homosexuality wasn't something the average person ever thought about back then so people could be a lot more obvious about it.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

The episode of Iron Chef where Mario Battali battles John Besh.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I'm watching dog show reruns and I think they expect me to not notice one of the trainers is Patty Hearst.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

BrigadierSensible posted:

Speaking of 70s cartoons:

I recently saw a Ralph Bakshi film that presented the Br'er Rabbit stories in Harlem, and it was astoundingly racist and homophobic. Even for the time. I forget the name.

It's called coonskin. It's a direct response to how the Godfather glorified white organized crime and pretty much the only white man who worked on the film was a Palestinian Jew who grew up in Harlem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Sunswipe posted:

So glad the time when every comedy had to have a Matrix bullet time parody sequence ended. It's even in the cow fight in Kung Pow! Enter the Fist, which is already the weakest part of the movie.

Kung Pow is proof that God is real but he hates us and wants us to suffer.