Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Malcom in the Middle if anything may be ahead of its time, when you consider it's specifically about an abusive family and the effects the abuse has on every one of the brothers.

In general, the comedies that don't try to pretend the characters are good people age better.

At the end, don't two of the sons actually derive significant joy from having severed from their mother entirely and avoiding any attempts she makes to contact them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Four-Eyes posted:

Wasn't there an alternate version where he just walks away after making peace with the two girls, or was that a fever dream?

In the movie, there's an alternate ending where he gets back with the 17-year old instead of Ramona.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

fartknocker posted:

Family Guy hit a point some years ago where it’s painful to watch with how much they make everybody hate each other that absolutely wasn’t present in their initial run or the first few years when it was revived...

Yeah, I feel like at this point, Family Guy is just swinging a dead cat around for the sake of seeing who it can hit.
I would almost argue that South Park is holding up better than Family Guy at this point, I mean, at least South Park puts in some effort from time to time.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

VanSandman posted:

No, South Park is absolute garbage.

I'm not saying it isn't. All I'm saying is that if I had to choose between it or Family Guy in some hypothetical scenario, I would take it as the lesser of two garbages.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Spiderpig, spiderpig, does whatever a spiderpig does

That was the ringback tone (remember those?) I used for my mom, because that song annoyed the hell out of her.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Wasn't Arnold still the governor of California at that time? Maybe they figured that :thejoke: would be better with him instead of Wolfcastle? I dunno, just pulling guesses out of nowhere.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Being black/gay/asian/trans/muslim/literally anything else with a basis in reality: Absolutely harmless. Ultimately affects nobody but you personally.

Being born with the ability to cause a nuclear explosion when you crack your knuckles: Maybe a cause for concern.

These things are not the same.

The attempt an analogy falls flat when you get into powers and mutations that actually can be a problem if unchecked. If they stuck to the kids like that one with fish characteristics who was friends with the Juggernaut a long time ago, the analogy would hold better.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

londonarbuckle posted:

The part where she almost gets killed by a police sniper under the mayor's watch aged ok.

Especially because they took the shot AFTER she was clearly no longer a "threat"

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

rodbeard posted:

Somehow he was getting laid 24/7 when the show was popular.

I saw him in that From Dusk til Dawn series that was on Hulu awhile ago, and god :drat: I didn't recognize him. Like, I knew he was familiar, but it took me a couple "Really!?" to piece together that it was him.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

BrigadierSensible posted:

Was that any good?

I am a big fan of From Dusk Till Dawn, but I saw the direct to video sequels, and Holy Jesus gently caress they are awful.

It's been a long time, and I don't think I actually watched the whole thing, pretty sure they hadn't even made it into Mexico when I quit watching.
Basically it was something I had on while a friend was hanging out at my place.
That being said, I don't remember disliking it. I may have to look and see if it's still on there and give it another go now that you have me remembering it.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Henchman of Santa posted:

He was with Lindsay Lohan during the height of her fame and sex symbol status. As an adolescent boy at the time I was very envious but as an adult it’s weird because she was 17/18 at the time and they had to hide their relationship until she was of age.

Related media that didn’t age well: nationwide horniness for this teenager because she had big boobs! Maybe it just felt that way at the time because again, I was 12/13, but also this is a real magazine cover. I know skeevy British papers have countdowns to legal age and poo poo but here in prudish America that’s weird!

America only wants people to think it's prudish.
I know there were tons of people counting down the days on the Olsen Twins, Britney Spears, and literally every other child actor and teen pop singer.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

letthereberock posted:

Yeah, the whole “countdown until x female celebrity is legal” thing is something I’m glad seems to have gone the way of the dodo, at least I think. There’s no way I’m googling if there are any Jojo Siwa countdown clocks out there.

I remember Robot Chicken had a funny sendup of the whole thing.

“The Olsen twins - they’re legal man!”
“Dude, you’re 36”

I'm sure they're still around, you'd just need to look for some content aggregate site with a clickbait headline like "YOU WON'T BELIEVE HOW THIS CHILD STAR LOOKS NOW!"

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

oldpainless posted:

Friends is popular because to a younger generation who gets anxiety from answering a phone call having friends seems nice

Plus the fact that you could afford a comfortable place to live with said best friends while working in a steady job that is generally rewarding, or at least not as absolutely soul crushing.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

letthereberock posted:

The rewarding job part may be accurate, but the living spaces in Friends were incredibly unrealistic even at the time, and even with the lampshading the show did about rent control and such.

Yeah, but if you're going to suspend disbelief, you may as well go all out.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Remulak posted:

NYC apartments have never been portrayed accurately. Even going back to the silent movies, every low class gangster had a grandmother with her own homey apartment.

Like lol.

My favorite was probably on The Critic, when Jay goes to his hairdresser's apartment, and it's palatial.
"Dolores, how can you afford this!?"
"Rent controlled since 1922."

Or something like that, I can't find the clip.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

grittyreboot posted:

There was an episode of New Girl where Jess starts hanging out with the Millenials down the hall and she realizes they're losers when one mentions that they do laundry at their parents house.

I have a feeling that writers for major shows have had more things work out for them than not, so they treat the lifestyles a lot of millenials and zoomers are forced to live as a failure of character.

Broadly speaking, I think the Millennials were the first group that COULDN'T strike out at 18 and generally stand a chance at being ok.
Like, Gen X got a bit of the shaft as well, but could still generally make it work out somehow. Millennials got the majority of the shaft and really undid the whole "18 and self reliant" trend, on account of being hosed over by Boomers and the economy from every which way.

Like, hell, my uncle was able to pay his way through law school and passing the Bar just from working one summer as a landscaper.
It took me years of careful saving and budgeting and living off my parents to pay off my student loans for a lovely Associates Degree that wasn't even good enough to apply for a job with, and that was even AFTER I managed to get a decent paying job, and I am considered one of the lucky ones.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

For starters, full time at a grocery store? lmfao

Oof, yeah. This one friend of mine once showed me her work schedule.
They literally had her working 7 days a week, but it all added up to a grand total of 39.5 hours so that they didn't have to give her any full-time benefits, but still got to keep her there drat near constantly.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

It's easy to forget, but, Friends was kinda groundbreaking for it's time due to its focusing on a "younger" cast.
Like, I remember there was some retrospective I had read after the show ended, and they mentioned how when they were pitching the show, network execs wanted the Friends to be like supporting cast for some older character that they would go to for advice, and not the main headliners of the show.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

sassassin posted:

Wasn't it originally pitched as a Courtney Cox vehicle?

I think that was Unhappily Ever After, with Nikki Cox, that was supposed to be the vehicle.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

rodbeard posted:

What the hell are you talking about Friends sucked dog poo poo.

I know that success doesn't correlate to quality, but, the show obviously did something right to run for as long as it did and have the degree of success that it does.
Maybe by today's standards the show sucks, but the show debuted almost 30 years ago. 1994 was a very different time with very different tastes.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Vandar posted:

Family Matters was doing wacky poo poo like that ever since they introduced Stefan in the fifth season. It just got worse as Urkel got more popular.

Weren't a lot of sitcoms guilty of wacky poo poo to one degree or another back then?
Sure, Family Matters got wackier than most, but, it seemed like any sitcom that went on long enough started feeling the need to introduce zany elements to shake things up.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Pretty crazy how so many shows had an episode that involved:
- Character becomes wealthy
- Wealth goes to Character's head and they become a jackass
- Character becomes increasingly alienated from all of their friends and progressively more miserable
- Character loses wealth, friends return and happiness is restored.

Guess it really isn't all that crazy now that I've typed it out, it's a reliable well to draw from.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Incelshok Na posted:

Somebody doxxed him a while ago, it should be easy to find with a google, not that it really matters.

As to why, it's because of a bunch of internal politics at WB/PTEN. Basically if things from one group do well, then the other group does worse because reasons. The group that didn't include B5 won the power struggle so if B5 were to do well or get some attention it would give face to the other group which is absolutely unacceptable in a corporate environment.

The stakes are incredibly low and the winnings are incredibly stupid but that's corporate America for you.

Isn't that the same sort of thing that hosed up Firefly's run on tv?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Yeah, the third season was hosed up, but in an entertaining way.
Season 4 was "Power Rangers, but they morph into otherkin."

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Wasn't the whole thing with DBZ that Toriyama wanted to end it after Cell?
Goku choosing to stay dead, passing the torch to his son who surpassed him, so on and so on, only for execs to convince him that they needed to get more milk from the cash cow, which is what gave us the Buu saga?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Out of all the ones I've watched, I think Naruto is the worst offender when it comes to filler. Bleach would be a close second.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

And it wasn't even his card game. Legally speaking, it was Pegasus's game, Kaiba just liked it so much he restructured a multibillion dollar company into making peripherals for it.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

rydiafan posted:

I lied in my previous post. Not about the making GBS threads, but about only knowing one thing about YGO. My second, and final, piece of knowledge about YGO involves this. One of my friends, who worked at said store and thus interacted with a lot of people playing various games, had a whole treatise about this.

YGO teaches children that winning is all that matters, and cheating is good to do.

Pokemon teaches people that winning is irrelevant (Ash goes like 10 seasons without winning a tournament) and that the love of the hobby and the friendships you form through it are what matters.

These lessons are reflected in the children who play these games.

I dunno, I've seen some people get REALLY angry about losing at the pokemon tcg.
Though to be fair, the angriest ones tended to be grown men.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kevin DuBrow posted:

There's an anime about the Japanese board game Go where the protagonist is told what moves to make by some Go genius in his head, which always struck me as unexciting. Its like using a computer to play chess.

IIRC, the ghost doesn't stick around for long. The kid starts getting into the game and good on his own merits and the ghost is able to move on as a result, leaving the rest of the series to focus on the kid trying to go pro.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I've never heard that Bobby Brow song, but I remember when The Dixie Chicks (Or, they're just The Chicks now, I think? I dunno, I don't regularly listen to country) released Goodbye Earl. Pretty sure that was back before they got blacklisted for not liking Dubya after 9-11, but yeah, similar song. Domestic abuser gets deservedly killed.
I don't think I've heard it since high school though.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's kinda weird given the Nazis are shown as committing horrible crimes against humanity and most of their whole deal is closer to opening the Ark of the Covenant, but some of the soldiers are still treated sympathetically? Clean Werhmacht myth I guess.

It probably gets mistaken for complex writing and deep characterization in the author's mind.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Cleretic posted:

The best way to watch soap operas isn't to actually watch them directly. It's to ask a mom what's happened every few months to a year.

If they're on when I visit my grandma, I'll sit and riff on them. For awhile there, one of the characters getting a lot of screentime looked like an infomercial host trying to sell juicers, so I just kept beating that horse.

Luckily, my grandma loves me and thinks I'm funny.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

It's SVU. The entire point, purpose, and raison d'etre of the show is "make horrific police abuses look not only good, but impossible to argue against, by framing them as the only defense against a world full of rapists and pedophiles coming for your loved ones." I really don't know what you were expecting.

I think what will always stick in my memory, and something that I'm pretty sure has been pointed out before in this thread on more than one occasion, was when they had brought in the new prosecutor whose job was basically to stay on Stabler's rear end because his method of beating confessions out of people kept leading to convictions being overturned in appeals, and it was very loving clear that we were supposed to be on his side against the bitchy lawyer who wanted him to do his job properly.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Mooseontheloose posted:

Didn't Mulder tell him to gently caress off and that he is just spewing nonsense?

I think he said something like "The difference is that I want to believe, but I still need to see some evidence."

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Was watching National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, and I think something that hasn't aged well is the scene where the boss actually feels bad about taking away the bonuses.

I mean, if they modernized that scene today, the boss would have wanted the SWAT team to gun Clark down, and there'd be entire op-ed pieces about how he was just an entitled millennial who should have just been happy to be allowed to have a job at all.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Desert Bus posted:

How well does Sports Night hold up? I remember really liking the show but i'm kind of scared to to back and re-watch.

poo poo, I forgot all about that show until you mentioned it.
Granted, all I can remember about it now is the one episode where they landed an interview with Michael Jordan, but ended up rejecting it because they found out his people were just going to use it as a cheap commercial for his new cologne line and not give an actual interview

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Honestly think the main issue is that Trump's nearly impossible to really parody, despite so many people trying. His whole campaign has been leaning into his act and being too ridiculous for any mockery to really land, and getting his supporters to identify any mockery and derision of him with mockery and derision of themselves.

Palin was a ridiculous figure with zero self-awareness, is the key thing.

It kind of falls under the Flava Flav principle.
During his comedy central roast, one of the comedians (Jeff Ross, maybe?) said something to the tune of: "You're wearing a giant clock around your neck, a viking helmet and cornrows. How do you roast charcoal!?"

Trump is the same way. He's such a caricature on his own that it's hard to properly mock him

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Speaking of comedians, what ever happened to Larry the Cable Guy? poo poo, for awhile there you couldn't NOT see him in a movie or a commercial or product warranty card, and nowadays I have to remind myself that he even exists.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Talking about Crow and black wings

Yeah, I still paid a little bit of attention to the game back at that point, and Blackwing cards were pretty much THE meta. You either ran them, or you lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

bobjr posted:

One trend I noticed you don't see as much now is "Unrated" special editions of movies, where when they were released on DVD with an extra boob or someone yelling gently caress a few more times, and it would be advertised as "The version too hot for theaters"

I think it's just because it's become so ingrained. You know you're going to get the deleted scenes and whatever else. They're no longer options, they're standard.

Plus, I think that was more of a "We need you to buy this instead of/in addition to the VHS" thing, which obviously isn't an issue anymore.