Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

BioEnchanted posted:

On the gay panic thing I thought Cheers did it fairly interestingly - Diane, to prove a point as she was sick of their bigotry about it, stated that there were two gay dudes in the bar, but kept who it was to herself to watch the other character's self-destruct over it, with all the characters thinking that it was the obvious two guys who were there together were the "offending" couple. However it turned out that the gay guys had actually hid themselves in the panicking crowd, and that they had not been suspected once. Making a good point about why stereotyping is harmful and counterproductive, and that homosexuals are just like everyone else?

All in the Family did an interesting twist waaaaaay back in 1971 with the episode "Judging Books By Covers". Mike's college buddy, an effeminate man, comes to visit. Archie, of course, believes him to be "a fruit". Meanwhile, Archie's old buddy, a former football player who owns a camera shop Mike's friend's frequents, turns out to be gay. Archie does not handle the truth well when Mike tells him this.

Archie confronts his old friend with this and and is shocked to learn the truth.

Gay men on 70s sitcoms did tend to be the "swishy" type. There was a semi-regular character on Barney Miller with this attribute, but was generally treated with respect by most of the detectives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
The 70s sitcom Soap was applauded for having an openly gay character (Billy Crystal's Jody Dallas). They did a lovely job of his character arc by ultimately abandoning his homosexuality.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

davidspackage posted:

Monty Python had some jokes with "alright ducky, hello sailor" gay stereotypes, sometimes played by Graham Chapman, who was gay himself. I always wonder if that was ever uncomfortable, or if that was just the way things worked for him.

From everything I've heard and read about Chapman, he would do whatever it took to make people laugh.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

spog posted:

Let's be honest: the guy is so far beyond parody, how do you do something outrageous and funny about him, when the real world antics are even worse?

The only thing they could do would be to portray Trump as some sort of 24's Charles Logan.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Gaunab posted:

I don't think this scene was played for laughs, just that the audience was uncomfortable with it.

Yeah, you didn't rape old women in your 70s sitcoms.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

OldTennisCourt posted:

For me the stories regarding Zim's creation and cancellation are way more interesting than the show. How the gently caress did it get made? Was it really meant to be part of some Adult Swim knockoff Nick was developing?

What about the idea that Nick wanted to make a show out of the dude's other hyper weird comic?

Nick wanted to make a show for the 11-15yr old crowd and somehow thought Vasquez was the man to give it to them.

The upcoming movie should be interesting.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

evobatman posted:

Married with Children is now a sci-fi show about how it's possible to support a wife, two kids, a dog, a car and a mortgage with one shoesalesmans income.

Not to mention the multiple life-ending injuries suffered by nearly all of the cast.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Calaveron posted:

Memories of the episode where Al and Jefferson try to install satellite tv still makes me giggle to this day

And Jefferson was a much better partner-in-crime for Al than Steve.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Wheat Loaf posted:

Doug is a show I enjoyed when I was younger (both the Nick and Disney versions) then about 12-ish years ago when I started going on Internet message boards, I discovered that people loving hated Doug, and I could never understand why. Even years later, I don't understand why people hate Doug, because there's just so little there to hate.

I liked Doug. Hell, I even bought the box set a couple of years ago. I thought it handled kid issues fairly well. I didn't know people hated the show.

Then again, I have discovered on the internet that there is always somebody who hates something as much as you like it. More so in some cases.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

BioEnchanted posted:

I remember Disney Doug made weird changes to the characters, like suddenly Roger and his mother were loaded.

Roger and his mother won the lottery. Connie lost a lot of weight, too

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't think M*A*S*H* has aged particularly well. The first few seasons are pretty good (with Frank and Henry) but still rife with misogyny and sexist humor (the film too), not to mention characters named "Spearchucker", "Lt. Dish" and "ho-Jon". Somehow it got even worse once Alan Alda began playing a heavier role and everything swung over the opposite direction "war is hell", really heavy handed liberalism and "deep meaningful" character exploration where every episode dealt with an established character having an amazing epiphany. Also, how did the doctors always manage to perform surgery completely poo poo faced all the time?

Spearchucker got that name because his threw the javelin in college. As for the rest, is was set in the 50s (not really a good defense, but there you go).

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

That's messed up.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Whitlam posted:

They didn't, and whenever a character was too drunk to perform surgery (Hawkeye and that visiting doctor that one time spring to mind) it was a Big Deal. Best example is the episode where Hawkeye had to leave surgery and throw up because he was hungover, and Radar got pissy about it (he was having his tonsils out, IIRC), which caused an already guilty Hawkeye to go into a defensive rant about how he never asked to be anyone's hero and getting drunk is the only coping strategy he has.

That was the episode where Hawk insisted Radar go into Seoul for some R&R and got shot.

As for the Twilight Zone - the 80s version had a lot of good stories (and quite a few future Trek stars). The 2003 version sucked.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

BiggerBoat posted:

You take that one, I'll take All in the Family. We've got the 70's 20% covered.

MASH & AITF started the trend of sitcoms where the characters managed to grow over time and not forget everything they'd done before (for the most part).

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

This reminded me of Little House on the Prairie...

Just a side note - it's weird to know that Laura Ingalls Wilder died in 1957.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

mind the walrus posted:

Holy gently caress this is Little House on the Prairie? I always thought it was about like, a little girl in pigtails watching goats fart while she milked them then telling poppa.

It was a way to get modern problems on TV. See also: M*A*S*H and Star Trek.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Guy Mann posted:

That show was bonkers, everyone on it went blind at least twice I think. And the dad was a total hunk, even with his anachronistic 70s hair :swoon:

Yep, the spitting image of the real Charles:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

JediTalentAgent posted:

I sort of think a lot of episodes of shows from the 70s-90s with any sort of LGBT supporting/guest characters or storylines before a certain era will not age well, if they haven't aged well already.

In the 70s, gay men tended to be the swishy type, but there weren't a lot of lesbians that I can recall.

All in the Family did address lesbianism in the episode ("Cousin Liz" - not too subtle) where Edith's cousin, a teacher, died. She and Archie went to the wake and wanted a silver tea service that had been in Edith's family for several generations. The cousin's roommate/lover (also a teacher) told the story of how they enjoyed using the set. It took a minute for Edith to figure out the relationship, but once she did, decided to let the woman keep the set.

Archie, of course, threatened to blackmail the woman in an attempt to get the set (for it's monetary value only). Edith won out. Archie told the woman that she needed to "stop that" and find herself a man. What was interesting from an advertising angle was the actress who played the woman was named K Callan (her professional name). Just reading this in the TV Guide probably threw a lot of people off at first.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Detective No. 27 posted:

Rockford Files rules. He doesn't give a poo poo and the bad guys wouldn't even be caught and arrested if they just left Rockford alone.

He also got his rear end kicked on a regular basis and gave as good as he got.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Chrpno posted:

sexually?

He did have a few lady friends.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Night Court had a few episodes that could have gone wrong, but I think they handled them fairly well.

One had Dan's college buddy coming to town. He had gone through a sex change and Dan handled it as well as you could imagine. The rest of the gang had no issues and Dan eventually came to terms with it. The funny part was having the gang try to explain it to Bull.

Then there was a series of episodes where Dan got a new boss - a little person. Again, Dan was an rear end in a top hat, but ultimately came to respect the man. It didn't help that the boss was a jerk and tortured Dan every chance he got.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Detective No. 27 posted:

I haven't seen Family Guy in years. What are they doing now that Adam West died?

Well, Peter is going to get a new boss since Carrie Fisher died, so I would imagine they'll get a new mayor.

He/she will never be as good, but it's Family Guy.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Way back in the thread because it's moving fast, but there was that episode where the punchline was that this really amazing sexy woman that they were going to build a whole brand on turned out to be transgender, which ruined one of their get-rich-quick schemes. Can't remember the episode title, but I have thought about it, as well as of Ace Ventura, as comedy that thankfully wouldn't be done today.

I don't recall that one, but there was an episode where a customer in the shoe store mistook Marcy for Bruce Jenner.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Marcy and her own issues (which is doubly problematic since she's gay in real life), et cetera. The whole show was funny when it was brutal even if it wasn't fair at all, but it got weird in its later seasons. I still don't know what they were going for by having Seven or Amber in the show and both of them vanishing pretty much shows that the showrunners didn't know either.

Amanda Bearse did an episode where she played Marcy's lesbian cousin. Who hits it off with Al.

As for Seven, the writers quickly learned from that mistake after incurring the wrath of the fans. He went to stay with the D'arcys and never came back.

He was referenced twice and never again:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
The Drew Carey Show had Drew's brother, Steve, appearing as a transvestite. He got a job at the department store and they had Mr. Wick trying to figure out which of the employees was a man.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Choco1980 posted:

Steve was handled so strangely on that show. Like, some episodes he was gay, some he was straight, like the show had literally no idea how trans identity worked, but you could also tell at the same time that they rather progressively at least wanted it to feel okay and acceptable.

Billy Crystal's gay character, Jody Dallas, was handled in a similar fashion on Soap. They had him as being very effeminate, wanting a sex change to please his his boyfriend, then becoming suicidal. Then they had him having sex with a woman and fathering a child (which ended with a nasty court case). And finally had him believing he was an old Jewish man.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

BiggerBoat posted:

Wasn't AITF the first show to ever show a toilet or something?

I think it was the first to have a toilet flush.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Mezzanine posted:

Just in case you haven't actually seen it, the description above (or any description really) doesn't do it justice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bflYjF90t7c

This even happened on M*A*S*H when Charles got hooked on speed. He gave one of the pills to Radar's hamster to help it win a race.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Another homophobic Married with Children episode had Al's favorite barber dying forcing Al and his buddies to have to go to a *GASP* hair salon! Of course, the men working there were flaming and Al and his friends end up with effeminate haircuts and mannerisms.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Tiriganiaq posted:

Superman needs to come back from the dead with a mustache.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Calaveron posted:

Superman has to bust out of his grave with a think mullet and a curly, handlebar mustache and keep it throughout the entire justice league movie and no other character should comment on it

And he should twirl it when talking to the bad guys.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

plainswalker75 posted:

David Brin's Earth did a pretty good job predicting the general trend of internet culture, including trolling, the difficulty of finding relevant information and even (arguably) fursonas.

I'm still waiting for 3D Star Trek.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
A general question for all:

Does a show having a few episodes that are now considered offensive affect your enjoyment of that show as a whole?

A few years ago, I got into a discussion about Get Smart for some reason. I liked the show, but am now a racist, apparently, because there was an episode where Smart dressed up as a stereotypical Native American.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

RC and Moon Pie posted:

CBS saw where the wind was blowing and canceled a heap of them..

At that really worked out for the best. The vast majority of 60s sitcoms were stagnant. How many times could you handle the characters doing the exact thing over and over again? Gilligan loving up a rescue attempt. Darrin mouthing off to one of Samantha's relatives and getting turned into god-knows-what.

At least a lot of the shows that would follow had some character development.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Guy Mann posted:

Just because someone criticises the content of a show you like that doesn't mean they're criticising you. And similarly you can totally enjoy something and even think that it is good overall but still dislike or criticize certain parts of it.

Oh no, a person actually straight up called me a racist just for that one episode.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Wheat Loaf posted:

They replaced most of them with Aaron Spelling shows, didn't they?

Spelling was more a late 70s - early 80s guy.

Norman Lear was the big early-mid 70s genius.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Krispy Wafer posted:

Maybe we should call this 'media that hasn't aged well.'

Because I'm listening to the audiobook of IT (last read it 25 years ago) and holy poo poo every time the Richie character goes into his black person voice. Perhaps that will be removed from the sequel like the child gang bang was from the first movie.

Find a copy of King reading The Drawing of the Three. Let me know when you get to him reading Detta's dialogue.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Krispy Wafer posted:

King doesn't actually read the audiobook.

14 hours of a Maine nasal twang would be a real horror story. Drawing of the Three was narrated by the late great Frank Muller who could've read Trump tweets and made them sound dramatic and riveting.

He did originally.

In fact, he read the first three books on cassette.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

EmmyOk posted:

it's up to the OP if they want but I don't mind changing this thread to media rather than TV shows.

Actually, that would be a good idea. I can think of a song or two that would be rendered obsolete by modern technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

trickybiscuits posted:

It was a really good song

In 1976, the R&B family act, The Sylvers, had a big hit with "Hot Line". A song about a guy trying to telephone his girlfriend.

Sample lyrics:

Stop all the calls in the world
Till I catch you, girl
Catch you at home
I asked the CIA
They said it was ok, to use their private phone
Oh, baby, baby

and:

Baby, where are you
Here am I
Should I get in touch with the FBI
I know my call will be accepted